New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

Hell no on Gruden. He can't build teams, he takes over teams that already has talent. He is abysmal at building up offensive talent and development.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

No, not to coach... to do his grinder voodoo and find us a good QB to draft lol. Some type of advisor or something 

Unless I am misremembering about him knowing about the offense... Could be tbh. I feel like he's generally respected as an offensive mind tho. I definitely would NOT want him in charge tho. Jets just need some help finding the next QB after AR 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I wasn't the intended recipient here but I do have thoughts.

If there's one thing that's been clear to me, it's that while Douglas is a very crafty and smart GM with contracts, player acquisitions and management, his talent scouting seems to be heavily biased towards defense. I'm not sure if this is because saleh, Ulbrich, etc have a lot of input or if JD is just more skilled there, but it's true. Except for guys that were widely considered the best in their draft class at their position (Wilson, Hall, AVT) JD has done poorly.

At this point, as long as the jets have a successful year or two ahead, I would gladly have JD stick around for the post Rodgers era. However, I think we need a better offensive support staff, both for scouting and post-draft development. Greg Knapp (may be rest in peace) was supposed to coach Wilson. Lafleur, assumably, had a significant hand in his selection. Things obviously didnt work out there, but if JD is going to draft another QB what I want to see is a highly experienced OC and QB coach on staff who participate in the scouting and interview processes for the next kid. Not Hackett, or another rookie OC, and not Saleh (outside the character aspect). JDs abysmal track record with offensive draft picks tells me that we need more experience there. I'd like him to keep managing the team but he needs to admit he has no idea how to draft a QB, or any offensive player that isn't a gimme. 

Wilson wasn't widely considered the best WR of the group; there wasn't really any consensus that year. Some folks thought it would be London, some Wilson, some Jameson Williams. They were considered very close, talent wise, with none of them as a clear stud

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I am kind of excited to see what it is that his agent does next to keep him top of mind for Jets fans.  We have had videos of drills and then a charity appearance.  I wonder what is next, Real Housewives of Passaic county perhaps or dancing with the NFL stars or maybe even 90-day fiancée - NFL edition.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

I am kind of excited to see what it is that his agent does next to keep him top of mind for Jets fans.  We have had videos of drills and then a charity appearance.  I wonder what is next, Real Housewives of Passaic county perhaps or dancing with the NFL stars or maybe even 90-day fiancée - NFL edition.

He won't have to anymore.

The Jets pass rush will see a substantive drop off from last year and all the F-Reddick guys on here will be blaming JD and screaming for him to pay up.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The Jets pass rush will see a substantive drop off from last year and all the F-Reddick guys on here will be blaming JD and screaming for him to pay up.

I understand your concern.

That said, I'm not so convinced of the "predicted" pass-rush drop off.

We shall see.

Aside from Trent Williams the 49er's don't have a great O-Line:

Updated 2024 NFL offensive line rankings: Lions take top spot, led by Penei Sewell and Frank Ragnow (pff.com)

24. San Francisco 49ers

While the 49ers' offensive line features a future Hall of Famer and arguably the best offensive lineman of the past few years in Trent Williams, those around him have so far failed to impress. The rest of the offensive line consists of either career journeymen, such as center Jake Brendel and right guard Jon Feliciano, or young offensive linemen who the 49ers hope can improve in 2024, such as Aaron Banks and Colton McKivitz.

Yes it's PFF and they could easily be wrong, they have the Jets O-line ranked 5th FWIW.

5. New York Jets

After performing as one of the worst units of the 2023 season, the Jets' offensive line mightily improved this offseason. Veteran tackles Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses both finished among the 10 highest-graded offensive tackles in 2023 and could form one of the best duos in the league in 2024.

The Jets also get back one of the best young guards in the league, Alijah Vera-Tucker, who missed most of the 2023 season due to an injury.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frankie Green said:

Ppl may think this is crazy, but... 

Jon Gruden just resurfaced on YouTube, and looks to be wanting to at least do SOMETHING football related... If I was JD, Saleh, whatever... I'd look into having him assist in scouting the next QB post Rodgers. Doesn't necessarily have to be an official coach or OC (not sure if he'd accept an OC role tbh) but if there's anyone out there not in a program that knows QBs... that dude knows offense and QBs. I think they should seriously consider looking into him in some sort of advisor role at the very least, before bringing the next OC in. Bc I think everyone knows (hopefully) that Hackett goes when Rodgers calls it a career. 

Didn’t Gruden pass on Aaron Rodgers for Cadillac Williams after telling him he’d draft him?

btw, I don’t even necessarily hate your idea, just pointing out that anyone can miss on a QB. Plenty of good GMs have drafted bad QBs or passed on good ones. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, nycdan said:

Now TECHNICALLY, we could have drafted Hurts.  We traded down from 48 to 59 in 2020 where we took Mims.  There was really no doubt we were looking to draft a WR there and nobody was talking about Hurts to the Jets as even a possibility.  At the time, there was a lot of concern over not taking Claypool, but most were pretty happy with how that ended up.  So dredging that up now as revisionist history is trash.  But just to set the record straight...if we WANTED Hurts, we could have drafted him.  We'll see if Matt jumps all over this one.

Hurts would not have succeeded on this team.  He's had one of the best OL and receiving corps in the NFL during basically his whole tenure.  

I think Reddick is choosing a poor time to play the You Guys Need Me game.

We aren't expected to win this game and SF likes to get the ball out fast. So even with Reddick our getting to the QB numbers for this game wouldn't be the best. Tackling is what can have us in and win this game IMO not getting to Purdy.

And in reality our schedule isn't that tough after this game for a few weeks. So I don't think we get desperate and cave with him.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No.  We won't.

Reddick is done as a premiere pass rusher.  His drop off in performance last year is all anyone needs to know about him.  Either his skills have declined or he was deliberately dogging it.  Either way he is not worth a bump in salary and TBH he is probably not even worth the $15M he would be getting this year.

It was worth a shot for a one-year rental costing a 2026 3rd rounder but that did not work out so we will simply move on and use the cap dollars elsewhere.  For Reddick it is time for him to go home for the year.  See you for OTAs next year I guess

<edited to add>

But by all means keep the cone drill videos coming they provide some entertainment during a long offseason.  Maybe he can combine his recent themes and give us a cone drill video for charity type thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Dax89 said:

Hurts would not have succeeded on this team.  He's had one of the best OL and receiving corps in the NFL during basically his whole tenure.  

Jason Kelce....Spencer Long....no difference.

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Substantial 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The f*ck we will.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I understand your concern.

That said, I'm not so convinced of the "predicted" pass-rush drop off.

We shall see.

Aside from Trent Williams the 49er's don't have a great O-Line:

Updated 2024 NFL offensive line rankings: Lions take top spot, led by Penei Sewell and Frank Ragnow (pff.com)

24. San Francisco 49ers

While the 49ers' offensive line features a future Hall of Famer and arguably the best offensive lineman of the past few years in Trent Williams, those around him have so far failed to impress. The rest of the offensive line consists of either career journeymen, such as center Jake Brendel and right guard Jon Feliciano, or young offensive linemen who the 49ers hope can improve in 2024, such as Aaron Banks and Colton McKivitz.

Yes it's PFF and they could easily be wrong, they have the Jets O-line ranked 5th FWIW.

5. New York Jets

After performing as one of the worst units of the 2023 season, the Jets' offensive line mightily improved this offseason. Veteran tackles Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses both finished among the 10 highest-graded offensive tackles in 2023 and could form one of the best duos in the league in 2024.

The Jets also get back one of the best young guards in the league, Alijah Vera-Tucker, who missed most of the 2023 season due to an injury.

OK now do the rankings of their coaches vs ours 

Nathaniel Hackett is the worst coach in the league. 

Except for Keith Carter maybe 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That may be true Bit, but Hackett isn't coaching anything, Aaron Rodgers is and he is very capable of making the necessary offensive adjustments, withot any meddling from Hackett.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

SF practice and prep starts today. A little surprised no Reddick news. Looks like he will miss Niners game. Wonder how many games is he willing to miss? When does he have to report to prevent his contact from tolling to next year??

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Shouldn't this be in it's own Bitonti thinks that Hackett sucks thread?

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Barkus said:

SF practice and prep starts today. A little surprised no Reddick news. Looks like he will miss Niners game. Wonder how many games is he willing to miss? When does he have to report to prevent his contact from tolling to next year??

if i recall correctly that doesn't matter until like midway through the season.

5 minutes ago, Barkus said:

That's the thing, he misses this week, next one in 6 days, then a Thursday.   That 10 days can cost him another 2.5ish million dollars.

Not the best financial decision on his part, and if the Jets get through that at 2-1, he will have much less leverage.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Hackett is mostly irrelevant as long as Rodgers is healthy.  

Hackett has coached two top 10 NFL offenses - both years where he had Aaron Rodgers. 

I never understood keeping Carter, but Saleh is stubborn and that may ultimately be his undoing. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Watch this board change if we lose Monday night.  

I know you've been around a long time so you must know what's going to happen in the case of a loss.

The same lonely voices will tell us the same things having to do with JD sucking. It will likely be a bit of a shocker.

If we reach mid point into a soft schedule and we still have no pass rush then maybe but not after game-1 on the road against probably the best team in the NFC.  We are expected to lose.

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Accrued seasons: Used to determine a player's free agency status (unrestricted, restricted, exclusive rights). In order to accrue a season, a player must have been on (or should have been on*) full-play status for at least six regular-season games in a given season. A player under contract must report to his team's training camp on his mandatory reporting date in order to earn an accrued season. If player holds out his services for a "material period of time," he is also at risk of not accruing a season.

2023 NFL free agency explainer: Vital information on franchise tags, contract terms, salary cap and more

So to be on the roster for at least 6 regular season games and get credit for an accrued season, I believe Reddick would have to report by week 10.

I'm sure someone will correct me, if I'm off by a week.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Watch this board change if we lose Monday night.  

I know you've been around a long time so you must know what's going to happen in the case of a loss.

I mean, yeah, there will probably be overreactions, but I can certainly say that Reddick has passed the threshold of making me care about him showing up at all this season.  If he wants to sit and rot on the Did Not Report list, so be it.  I am fully anticipating a Jets loss on Monday (27-17 is my prediction), and have been ever since the schedule released.  That game has no bearing on my opinion that we lose with or without Reddick anyway, and that under no circumstances should the Jets cave to his demands.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Accrued seasons: Used to determine a player's free agency status (unrestricted, restricted, exclusive rights). In order to accrue a season, a player must have been on (or should have been on*) full-play status for at least six regular-season games in a given season. A player under contract must report to his team's training camp on his mandatory reporting date in order to earn an accrued season. If player holds out his services for a "material period of time," he is also at risk of not accruing a season.

2023 NFL free agency explainer: Vital information on franchise tags, contract terms, salary cap and more

Does this mean it's already too late to accrue the season?  I'm sure I'm misunderstanding this but wrong but t reads that way to me.

A player under contract must report to his team's training camp on his mandatory reporting date in order to earn an accrued season

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

He has already missed his mandatory reporting date. He is under contract.  Does that imply that the Jets could simply tell him not to report, that he is too late and that he would not accrue a season this year?

22 minutes ago, Barkus said:

6.  If he doesn’t report soon he’s not getting a big deal next year either. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, EM31 said:

He has already missed his mandatory reporting date. He is under contract.  Does that imply that the Jets could simply tell him not to report, that he is too late and that he would not accrue a season this year?

I'm not claiming to know it all here & I could be dead wrong - but, I don't believe that's an option @EM31.

I think the mandoatory reporting date is in place, to establish when mandatory fines start, if a player chooses to hold out.

I'm fairly sure he can holdout as long as he wants to, so long as he reports to the team by week 10.

If Reddick is on the active roster for 6 regular season games, he'll accrue a season and keep his contract from tolling over, based on what was in my last post, from the associated NFL.com article I posted the link to - unless I'm just reading it wrong - which is entirely possible.

That said and to @Larz's point, if Reddick did sit out until week 10, this would almost certainly have a negative effect on his market value, next off-season.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

so, for the record how big of a drop do you expect.   we had 48 sacks last year.  i would assume "substantial" means 20% - so do you expect the Jets to get less than 40 sacks this year?

in reality they got 7 sacks in the last week of the year against backup OL with an opponent wanting to lose.   In reality the 40 sacks is really just a 10% drop if you normalize the last game.   I wouldn't call that substantial in fact.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I mean, yeah there will be overreactions, but I can certainly say that Reddick has passed the threshold of making me care if he shows up at all this season.  If he wants to sit and rot on the Did Not Report list, so be it.  I am fully anticipating a Jets loss on Monday (27-17) is my prediction, and have been ever since the schedule released.  That game will have no bearing on my opinion that we lose with or without Reddick anyway and that under no circumstances should the Jets cave to Reddick’s demands.

You know I used to think this way and took these hold outs personally.  For instance, I hated Revis, but in hindsight they should have just paid him.

I've now past that feeling - 13 years of losing will do that to a man..and just want to win.

I really don't care about the cap concerns two years from year (when we won't have a QB) and surely don't care about Woody's money.  We have a tiny window (but a legitimate one) so check the ego at the door Joe and figure it out.   

I actually really liked the Jets to win Monday but up until about 10 days ago I always figured Joe would get Reddick in house.  I think they lose without Reddick though.

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Does this mean it's already too late to accrue the season?  I'm sure I'm misunderstanding this but wrong but t reads that way to me.

A player under contract must report to his team's training camp on his mandatory reporting date in order to earn an accrued season

I think he can miss 6 games, and then show.  

• Upvote 1

Reddick has been a mercenary his whole career. Never really got that big commitment. 

I’m probably reading this wrong but it sure looks like he has already been paid for this season.  Paid well too, 20th ranked contract. 

I know it’s been reported that he wants a 3 year deal but it’s just mind blowing that a compromise of a fully guaranteed year with sweetners to save face and incentives to earn his fine money back can’t be ironed out over lunch. 

IMG_0731.jpeg

IMG_0732.jpeg

• Bronx changed the title to Rule him out Roberto!