New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Why sign him then?  Why trade picks?

Did Joe not do the research you just did - or does the talent on the field matter?

The gamble was (and is) that he will show up and play for us at some point AND that when he does he will need to be Superman on the field in order to attract end of season buyers.  In other words.... motivated.

If the cost to place that bet was a 2026 v3rd rounder then that is a relatively minor cost.

If he has lost a step and does not want to prove it on the field then we get our money back.  If that is the case then the only truly firing offense for a GM would be to hand out a huge new contract without current tape on him.  The most recent 1/3rd of a season indicates he was not effective at all so either has slipped or he was dogging it to get a new deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

That number is EXCLUDING Reddick's $16 million cap number. So they're actually $2 million under. If they sign/acquire someone for $15 million and Reddick show's up, they're now massively over the cap.

Do you see the dilemma here?

Who is this mystery free agent that they are going to sign ? Do you have any one in mind ?

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Larz said:

then the move would have been to drive to Florham park after the charity event (I know it was scheduled weeks ago) and hammer out a save face deal and do a press conference about being excited to go after a championship. 

He’s gambling on essentially an injury to the Jets edge rotation which is putting his needs over his clients. 

Or a an injury to someone else's edge in which case he could be traded but this is a real long shot because which contender has the cap space to add Reddick?

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Did Joe not do the research you just did - or does the talent on the field matter?

He traded the equivalent of a fifth round pick, a pick he doesn’t send until 2026. Low cost for a luxury addition. 

16 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

In a season where you're built to win now, that $15 million could have been allocated to someone who would actually play. The Jets were set up to win this year (Tyron Smith, Mike Williams, etc.). Reddick not being here is money and resources that could have been spent elsewhere.

That $15M sits on the Jets’ cap until he shows up. If he refuses to show up all year, the Jets have the right to go after his signing bonus, in which case they could get back another $4.75M. 

• Upvote 2

That number is EXCLUDING Reddick's $16 million cap number. So they're actually $2 million under. If they sign/acquire someone for $15 million and Reddick show's up, they're now massively over the cap.

This is correct. I think once he starts missing game checks, that amount is added to our cap. But as of right now, we need to hold that space for him in case he shows up, otherwise we’d either have to quickly restructure other contracts or cut him. Or at least I think that would be how it works — maybe one of the cap gurus on this site can clafify.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Anybody not named Reddick and the pass rush is instantly better. Him and JJ rushing will be like that Denver team that carried broke neck Peyton to his 2nd Superbowl win. 

is he even in shape? Has he build nucleus? Where is the discipline for this team? You are a no-show, you get disciplined with fines and playing time. 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Who is this mystery free agent that they are going to sign ? Do you have any one in mind ?

A swap of malcontents with say the Raiders?

LOL.... just kidding (well mostly just kidding)

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ganggreen305 said:

Just move on without him for Week 1.  He will come back at some point and make our defense that much better, albeit with a lighter wallet.

Yes, the coach needs to demonstrate that players don't get away with misconduct regardless of their statue. 

Just now, EM31 said:

Or a an injury to someone else's edge in which case he could be traded but this is a real long shot because which contender has the cap space to add Reddick?

There are about a dozen but that’s a huge gamble and it would be shocking if JD trades him for picks instead of a player that can help this year.  

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

Reddick is not in a situation where he hasn’t signed a tag. He’s under contract. He’s going to realize JD is not giving him a long term deal over the weekend.  His position was never great but it gets worse every day. 

I understand all of that, but this guy seems really pig-headed and it certainly seems like he's not thinking logically.

That said, I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

10 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I don't believe his cap charge is anywhere near 16 mil. The Eagles ate a ton of his cap charges when they traded him.

Edit: I may be incorrect. Researching 

It'd be great if JD could work something out with Reddick in private, and then dress it up to make it look good to the media.  Maybe offer a bunch of incentives to him that would build toward what he's looking for past this year?  Not sure the Jets can give him much more given their salary cap situation this year.

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

There is nobody, unless they decide to trade for Davante Adams or someone of the like. The point I'm making is that Reddick not showing up doesn't cost us nothing, as some have suggested -- it costs us the opportunity to use that money and draft capital elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I'm not going to ask why because I know you likely don't have an answer and if you did it would more than likely not make a lick of sense. 

I'm pretty sure the 1 Reddick thread per person rule is being violated without even attempting to get the rights for an additional Reddick thread from another poster. I've not been contacted about my Reddick thread rights despite them being available for a reasonable amount.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Larz said:

There are about a dozen but that’s a huge gamble and it would be shocking if JD trades him for picks instead of a player that can help this year.  

Having, or being able to free up the cap space to get the cap room is one challenge.  The next two are Is he shot and would he even live up to any deal that he signs?

There is nobody, unless they decide to trade for Davante Adams or someone of the like. The point I'm making is that Reddick not showing up doesn't cost us nothing, as some have suggested -- it costs us the opportunity to use that money and draft capital elsewhere.

Oh. I just think the odds of him holding out more than 2 games is minuscule. 

guess we’ll find out….eventually lol 

• Haha 1

That was why he was available for the equivalent of a 5th rounder and no, we can use that money to help lock up one or more of our own players so it will be put to good use.

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

That was why he was available for the equivalent of a 5th rounder and no, we can use that money to help lock up one or more of our own players so it will be put to good use.

No, we can't. If Reddick shows up, the Jets are on the hook for the balance of the contract.

11 minutes ago, Bronx said:

is he even in shape? Has he build nucleus? Where is the discipline for this team? You are a no-show, you get disciplined with fines and playing time. 

Yes, but please post that Becton picture if you like. I'm not sure why we have branched into a cytology discussion  but I'm far from surprised. He's been fined more money than you and I will likely see in a lifetime. I don't care if he signs 20 minutes before game time he's instantly without question best three down outside pass rusher on the team. We are trying to win a championship, not teach life lessons here bub!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Didn’t Gruden pass on Aaron Rodgers for Cadillac Williams after telling him he’d draft him?

btw, I don’t even necessarily hate your idea, just pointing out that anyone can miss on a QB. Plenty of good GMs have drafted bad QBs or passed on good ones. 

No idea! Very well may have 

35 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I has build nucleus!! But in Soviet Russia, Nucleus build YOU!!

Not Great Ok GIF by Sky España

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly, I really don't' think it matters.  I'm talking about fan perception/reaction and pressure put on Joe/Woody.  Woody is a PR first owner - right now the bulk of the fan base are with the Jets on this.  Following a loss that will change.

If Purdy has time consistently and the 9ers win - that's all it will take.

wait, so you say there is going to be a substantial drop off - but then when called to explain and quantify it - then it really doesn't matter?

that's kind of pathetic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It was obvious that he wanted a new deal and likely wouldn’t play without one. Thus here we are. What did Douglas know and when did he know it. If Reddick was going to play on the final year he’d still be an Eagle.

• More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Not a fan of the concept of opportunity cost, eh?

In the context of the convo, we didn’t lose his sacks from last season, he wasn’t on the books for us.  We’ve lost nothing from a year ago

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The season?  I doubt it, doesn’t make financial sense

This stopped making financial sense on Day 1 of his holdout.  At this point, I imagine he is fueled by stubborn pride.  There is no logical basis for holding out in today's NFL.  He may feel he is saving face by continuing and in his mind, may have written off the season and will try to be enough of a malcontent to get traded - mid-season if he's fortunate, or next offseason otherwise.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

$15M in salary that could have been allocated towards another player and a third round draft pick is nothing?

We don’t have cap issues, we’d get a third of he leaves and he’s still ours next season.  

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This stopped making financial sense on Day 1 of his holdout.  At this point, I imagine he is fueled by stubborn pride.  There is no logical basis for holding out in today's NFL.  He may feel he is saving face by continuing and in his mind, may have written off the season and will try to be enough of a malcontent to get traded - mid-season if he's fortunate, or next offseason otherwise.

Unless you are injured in which case it makes all the sense in the world to get your money now before the buyers find out.

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The season?  I doubt it, doesn’t make financial sense

I think he’s going to turn this into a hold-in come week 4 or 5 so, ultimately, it seems more likely than not that he’s going to listen to his agent and never play a down for the Jets without a pay day that we’re not going to give him.  It’s terrible advice, but Reddick believes what Dandy is selling him on for some unknown reason.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not just the sacks.  Huff was incredibly disruptive.   JFM was a very solid player.

You're now going to have Clemmons playing JFM reps and Mac playing Huff reps.  We really have no idea what Mac is - none.  We know he's exceptionally small - but does seem to possess that impressive spin move.  We'll see how it plays out but I think it's highly unlikely he'll be as disruptive as Huff.

Reddick is a top pass rusher and we're in a season (for the first time in a long time) where we have a legitimate shot to make some noise.  Why you guys care so excited about not paying this guy I can't possibly understand.

the people who don't want to pay him (outside of a bump this year which everyone is okay with)  - they probably worrying about the cost to resign the homegrown players.

agree we don't know much about Mac - although what we DO know is that his first year was better than Huff's first or second year from Sacks perspective.  He has to take a jump like JJ.

Reddick was a terrible player his last 200 snaps.  zero sacks and only 5 tackles.   and you want to pay him and have to let one of our core guys leave?