New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Still kind of odd the Jets are tip toeing around this. Lynch came out last week and said you at some point have to show up and play. Salehs presser he was wishy washy about Reddick still being able to play this week, without setting any sort of deadline. 

I think it's pretty well-defined, the deadline for Reddick to show up is today, if he wants to play week 1.

The problem is, I don't think he cares at this point.

In my view, once Reddick publicly requested a trade, any concerns he had about the team (if he ever really had any at all) went out the window.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, slats said:

No. 

The only way Reddick gets close to what he wants -reportedly $25M/year- is if he plays football this year and plays it well. 

No kidding. But he hasnt shown up and it looks like he doesnt intend to any time soon.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I think it's pretty well-defined, the deadline for Reddick to show up is today, if he wants to play week 1.

The problem is, I don't think he cares at this point.

In my view, once Reddick publicly requested a trade, any concerns he had about the team (if he ever really had any at all) went out the window.

First practice for SF prep is Thursday. Would seem like a decent time to publicly say, show up by then.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s true that those were the top three in snap counts last year, JJ at 65.79%, JFM 55.15%, and Huff 42.22%. Right behind Huff was Quinton Jefferson at 41.25%, and he had 6 sacks himself. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that Takk McKinley can pick up a lot of that slack, and play in the 40-50% range of snaps. Also have the two UDFAs in McGregor and Watts. 

With 55.15% of the snaps, JFM had 3.5 sacks last year. In 16.18% of the snaps, Will McDonald had 3. Bring McD up to 40-50%, hitting Huff’s one year only total of 10 doesn't seem too unreasonable, either. Solomon Thomas had 5 sacks for the team last year, and likely moves back in the rotation with Javon Kinlaw which should make for an improved platoon there. 

Reddick will be a major addition if/when he shows up, but it’s not like the DL is gonna fall apart without him. And I didn’t even mention Quinnen Williams looking forward to playing next to Kinlaw. 

Yes.  This is a good defense with or without Reddick but a substantively better one with him.  And I think you'll agree you want to field the best team you can.  Having an impact edge rusher is actually a pretty big deal.  

I think most understand that - but the frustration, for me, is how Joe has handled the situation.  Figure it the F out and get the guy in house. I mean last report was they haven't spoken since June, that's insane in an all-in year.  Joe needs to take the L if you has to right now - but if we want to be a serious organization with a serious eyes on a legitimate Super Bowl then you find a way.  

3 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Why would I respect someone doing something this stupid to their career? 

It’s his career , and it’s  his money he’s losing.    You have no skin in the game.   He has everything to lose, and he still rather not play for the JETS..

• Thumb Down 1

It may sound pretty sucky for reddick but he’s the one who is forfeiting this money.  If thought he get one last big payday, if he holds out, he will throw it all out the window.  I don’t know if the jets retain his rights after this season, but if they do, he may as well just retire.  Too bad if this ends this way.

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It sounds a lot like something Woody johnson would want. Reminds me of the counterproductive foot-stomping he brought to the Revis holdout on Hard Knocks. Tannenbaum looked like he wanted to choke him out after the Roscoe Diner meeting

Did Douglas think he could convince Woody to fold on an extension from April until now? I’ve  got nothing else here. Unless Douglas really thought Reddick didn’t want a new deal. 

The Eagles being able to forecast this, while bringing in a former Jet to replace him just makes this whole situation look even more ridiculous. 

• Upvote 3

How bad would it be for Reddick if he came in and was only the 2nd or 3rd best pass rusher on the team?  Would he get $25M-$28M a year then?

Not as crazy as it sounds.  Maybe Reddick has lost a step.  Certainly there was talk out of Philly that this might be true.  Now he is a year older and seems unwilling to play any more before he gets a huge payday.  Johnson on the other had was already being double teamed regularly  last season and his ceiling is not established yet  If McDonald takes the next step this year then Hassan Reddick would really only be one of three and maybe not even the best of those.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

How bad would it be for Reddick if he came in and was only the 2nd or 3rd best pass rusher on the team?  Would he get $25M-$28M a year then?

Not as crazy as it sounds.  Maybe Reddick has lost a step.  Certainly there was talk out of Philly that this might be true.  Now he is a year older and seems unwilling to play any more before he gets a huge payday.  Johnson on the other had was already being double teamed regularly  last season and his ceiling is not established yet  If McDonald takes the next step this year then Hassan Reddick would really only be one of three and maybe not even the best of those.

Which makes not securing Huff even wilder in hindsight. The Eagles forecasted this exact scenario and knew they didn’t want to pay Reddick. 

Just now, Matt39 said:

Which makes not securing Huff even wilder in hindsight. The Eagles forecasted this exact scenario and knew they didn’t want to pay Reddick. 

And we did not want to pay Huff or play him like and every down lineman.  Only time will tell who was right and who was wrong there.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

And we did not want to pay Huff or play him like and every down lineman.  Only time will tell who was right and who was wrong there.

If Huff has a big game on Friday and Reddick is still holding out, ohhh boy

The more I think about this is might be the only reason that makes sense.  Maybe he needs to hold out for his money now because he is not able to prove that he is an elite pass rusher any more.  Maybe he and his representation knows that this would become obvious if he suits up and plays.

At least that would explain why he is doing what he is doing.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

A third Rd pick that becomes a 2nd is not nothing 

They could have just paid Huff 

The Jets are a poorly run franchise 

They couldn't have just paid Huff; he didn't want to be here as a rotational DE. And a trade down in the 3rd round in 2 years is, in fact, next to nothing

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah for a year where it’s clear based on what we’ve heard from Woody, the Jets have to win this year. Not just make the playoffs either. Real winning. How Huff wasn’t just tagged and brought back is mind numbing. 

Why would they have tagged Huff for 21.3M when Huff couldn't get to 18M as a FA? He's a good player, don't get me wrong. But the angst over losing a rotational DE is a bit much

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

It's a curious thing.  If he doesn't sign with the Jets at all, does that impact the comp pick eligibility?  I'm not sure what the language on that is.

No. It doesn't. He's on the team, he'll be their FA. 

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It’s not that simple

But essentially Reddick has to sign a big-money deal somewhere else and the net flow of players lost versus gained has to be negative for the Jets to win any compensation 

There is some unknown formula the league office has under wraps

If he sits the season, I doubt he gets jack from any other teams next season 

The league has already witnessed the Le’Veon debacle and Deshaun Watson looking washed after not playing football for a year or more 

It's pretty simple; barring an injury or terrible play this season, he'll get north of 20M per in average annual value next offseason; those contracts for an exiting FA get you third round comp picks in 2026 if you're a net loser of FAs in the 2025 offseason. The Jets' roster of impending FAs is deep and will include multiple veterans who get big enough deals from other teams to count in the formula if they don't resign here. Aside from Reddick:

DJ Reed, Carter, Mike Williams, Kinlaw, Conklin, Tyron Smith, Moses, Sherwood, Clark, Solomon Thomas, and Echols would probably all qualify, and Davis, Fotu, Oliver, Schweitzer, and potentially McKinley at least might. Of course, that would leave a lot of holes to fill, so the Jets aren't going to let all those guys walk. But they've done a pretty decent job building depth behind them.

At least one of Moses or Smith will be let go (to make room for Olu in the starting lineup) without needing a replacement.  They look like they're setting up to replace Reed in-house (with JBC or Stiggers), along with Echols (whichever of those two doesn't end up starting). Schweitzer likely gets replaced by Xavier Newman, Sherwood by Surratt if he leaves. They're hoping Ruckert shows enough this season that they can pencil him in as the starting TE next year, but even if not, if they end up with 6 qualifying FA defections that aren't replaced by external FAs (Reddick, Smith, Sherwood, Reed, Carter, Schweitzer) they'll be in very good shape to be getting 2026 comp picks. And if that's how that works out, they'll have gotten however many weeks of service from Reddick this year at the cost of a trade down in the 2026 third round.

That's the plan, anyway; we'll see how it survives reality.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

You could say that about any player who is traded away or leaves via free agency.  

Not when this was a player swap in essence. The Jets have the guy who didn’t show up while Philly has the guy who did.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

5 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The only thing that makes sense is this goober lost a step (as evidenced by his complete disappearance last 1/4 of Eagles season) and he has no intention of revealing that until he suckers some unsuspecting team out of one final bag. Unfortunately for him, it's not gonna happen, bc JD is no pushover and this whole thing should prevent any further games of chicken for a while. DGAF about the 2030 3rd rounder. This fool had a golden opportunity to play in an ideal situation that masks his decline and minimize his snaps (keeping him fresher) in order to have the chance to sucker another team (like Huff did) after he got a guaranteed 15M. Now he may not even walk away with 7. Oh well stupid prizes. Jets D will ball either way. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Why would they have tagged Huff for 21.3M when Huff couldn't get to 18M as a FA? He's a good player, don't get me wrong. But the angst over losing a rotational DE is a bit much

No. It doesn't. He's on the team, he'll be their FA. 

It's pretty simple; barring an injury or terrible play this season, he'll get north of 20M per in average annual value next offseason; those contracts for an exiting FA get you third round comp picks in 2026 if you're a net loser of FAs in the 2025 offseason. The Jets' roster of impending FAs is deep and will include multiple veterans who get big enough deals from other teams to count in the formula if they don't resign here. Aside from Reddick:

DJ Reed, Carter, Mike Williams, Kinlaw, Conklin, Tyron Smith, Moses, Sherwood, Clark, Solomon Thomas, and Echols would probably all qualify, and Davis, Fotu, Oliver, Schweitzer, and potentially McKinley at least might. Of course, that would leave a lot of holes to fill, so the Jets aren't going to let all those guys walk. But they've done a pretty decent job building depth behind them.

At least one of Moses or Smith will be let go (to make room for Olu in the starting lineup) without needing a replacement.  They look like they're setting up to replace Reed in-house (with JBC or Stiggers), along with Echols (whichever of those two doesn't end up starting). Schweitzer likely gets replaced by Xavier Newman, Sherwood by Surratt if he leaves. They're hoping Ruckert shows enough this season that they can pencil him in as the starting TE next year, but even if not, if they end up with 6 qualifying FA defections that aren't replaced by external FAs (Reddick, Smith, Sherwood, Reed, Carter, Schweitzer) they'll be in very good shape to be getting 2026 comp picks. And if that's how that works out, they'll have gotten however many weeks of service from Reddick this year at the cost of a trade down in the 2026 third round.

That's the plan, anyway; we'll see how it survives reality.

No angst really. Just big picture. The QB is 40 and could likely be in his last season and is one hit away from it being done. There’s no future QB on the roster. This is as win now if a team as you’ll get in the NFL. Overpaying a tagged player for one season in a win now year where the coach and GM will be gone if they don’t win seemed like a no brainer. Especially a pass rusher. The Eagles knew they werent going to pay him and targeted coincidentally the player the Jets let leave and then doubled down by replacing him with a player the Eagles knew wanted a new deal but somehow the Jets didnt. It seems like a massive gap in communication between the Jets decision makers here.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Not when this was a player swap in essence. The Jets have the guy who didn’t show up while Philly has the guy who did.

Except Philly were willing to give him a multiyear deal when we considered him to be a very good one-dimensional DE but not a full time player.  Time will tell which side was correct on that one.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frankie Green said:

The only thing that makes sense is this goober lost a step (as evidenced by his complete disappearance last 1/4 of Eagles season) and he has no intention of revealing that until he suckers some unsuspecting team out of one final bag. Unfortunately for him, it's not gonna happen, bc JD is no pushover and this whole thing should prevent any further games of chicken for a while. DGAF about the 2030 3rd rounder. This fool had a golden opportunity to play in an ideal situation that masks his decline and minimize his snaps (keeping him fresher) in order to have the chance to sucker another team (like Huff did) after he got a guaranteed 15M. Now he may not even walk away with 7. Oh well stupid prizes. Jets D will ball either way. 

I also think he knows he's lost a step and is afraid to play in the final year of a contract. He's not confident in himself.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

• Bronx changed the title to Rule him out Roberto!