****The official Jets VS 49ers Game thread****®️©️™️

BP

Just now, FidelioJet said:

For sure.  I'm with you.  Can he get better? Sure.  Will be play better than tonight, I sure hope so and expect so.

But let's not pretend he wasn't a major part of the problem tonight.  He was bad tonight.

Yea, too bad the defense gave up 8 straight scoring drives, many of them long drives. That was the real problem. He also had 2 drives cut short with a brutal drop and a fumble. Changed the whole game. This offense will get better as they play more together. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Recalling all the 160-ish, 1/1 days Zach Wilson put up where this place was apoplectic about how that kind of performance was simply unacceptable. But now because it’s Rodgers, these dudes want to explainify why 167 yards was actually great is you factor in a drop that would have gotten him to 174 yards

The 49ers Offense held the ball for about 70 minutes tonight. Did you want Rodgers to mug them for the ball at gunpoint?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

13/21 for 167 1/1 is not terrible especially for his 1st game in 20 months. Just stop. It wasn't Rodgers fault. What game were you watching. 

Saleh's Grandmother would have run for 100 yards tonight against this Jets D.  That was absolutely ABYSMAL, PATHETIC, EMBARRASSING, BUSH LEAGUE, NAUSEATING.  They better find themselves quick and get a damn Nose tackle.  This is the NFL. No way a team should be able to run at will like they did and allow long drive after long drive. Rodger4s must be besides himself. I hope he is screaming at the defense the whole week.

• Upvote 2

Just now, maury77 said:

Rodgers was not great by any stretch today, but given his career performance I'm willing to give him more slack than he who shall not be named from BYU. 

Of course Rodgers will be better than Zach Wilson.   

But we're talking about this team being a Super Bowl contender.   Jumping over the Zach Wilson bar isn't exactly what we're looking for here.

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The defense was out coached.  They had no answer to anything Shanahan called. 

They were getting blown off the ball...those were monster holes.  I'm just not sure that's a coaching issue as much as a talent issue.

But I do hear you....certainly the coaching isn't great - but I think when it's that ugly it just feels like it's more on talent than scheme.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So Rodgers being slightly below average is what we want?

I thought we were talking Super Bowl.  Rodgers being slightly below average isn't getting us there.

It is not what we want. And the sample size is too small yet to read too much into tonight.

But there was a mindset, amongst some out there, that league-average QB play would propel the Jets into Superbowl contenders. Because our D is elite and would take over games. That is not the case. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Yea, too bad the defense gave up 8 straight scoring drives, many of them long drives. That was the real problem. He also had 2 drives cut short with a brutal drop and a fumble. Changed the whole game. This offense will get better as they play more together. 

4 drives cut short from drops and fumbles. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Saleh's Grandmother would have run for 100 yards tonight against this Jets D.  That was absolutely ABYSMAL, PATHETIC, EMBARRASSING, BUSH LEAGUE, NAUSEATING.  They better find themselves quick and get a damn Nose tackle.  This is the NFL. No way a team should be able to run at will like they did and allow long drive after long drive. Rodger4s must be besides himself. I hope he is screaming at the defense the whole week.

Don’t worry we only have Tony Pollard at Tennessee next Sunday 

• Haha 1

Just now, Jet_Engine1 said:

The 49ers Offense held the ball for about 70 minutes tonight. Did you want Rodgers to mug them for the ball at gunpoint?

The scary part is twofold: 1. The Niners shut Rodgers down simply by sliding coverage over onto Garrett Wilson. The Jets didn’t plan for that? and 2. Rodgers moved like he was walking on two old-timey pirate peg-legs. When he has time to stand in a throw, yes, he’s still Aaron Rodgers. But any shred of adversity appears on the play and he’s no longer able to adjust. This was true his last year in Green Bay, it’s what got him squished last year, and in this game he looked rinsed as ****. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Yes, the defense is the major reason they got their asses kicked. I do think they will be better and that SanFran will do this to a lot of teams this year. Tough opponent to start a season, on the road no less. 

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

8 YPA is objectively good 

he didn’t have as many pass attempts because the vaunted D couldn’t get off the freaking field 

Honestly man, I like you...but he wasn't good tonight.  

Trying to explain away 167 1/1 on an okay YPA isn't going to do it.

I'm not giving up on Rodgers but we should be realistic about what we saw.  

Just now, T0mShane said:

The scary part is twofold: 1. The Niners shut Rodgers down simply by sliding coverage over onto Garrett Wilson. The Jets didn’t plan for that? and 2. Rodgers moved like he was walking on two old-timey pirate peg-legs. When he has time to stand in a throw, yes, he’s still Aaron Rodgers. But any shred of adversity appears on the play and he’s no longer able to adjust. This was true his last year in Green Bay, it’s what got him squished last year, and in this game he looked rinsed as ****. 

Double GW and you stop our offense 

• Upvote 2

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Come on man.

Fumbles and dropped passes happen to everyone.  167 yards is not enough to win football games in the NFL.

Tell me you expect to get better and I'll agree.   But let's not put lipstick on a pig - he was bad tonight.

He threw the ball 21 times at a decent clip; what in the world are you talking about?  Wilson and Hall are supposed to be elite players.  Lazard I half-expect to have a bad drop or two.  I expect better out of Wilson and Hall than what they exhibited tonight; especially Garrett.  He didn’t just drop the ball, he completely lost where he was on the field and, essentially, ended the game by forgetting that he isn’t at Ohio State anymore and needs to get two feet in bounds.  Lazard had the one bad drop but at least he made up for it later on.

There were three 7-10 yard drops on 3rd and fourth down.  4 if you want to be generous and include Wilson letting himself get outmuscled in 4th and 1 by a slot CB.  Thats 21-30 yards (or 28-40 yards) alone.  Who knows what happens if Breece doesn’t have the ball punched out on 1st down during the 2nd drive.

If you want to add another complaint to my list, sure, let’s go with the game plan .  We were far more effective in the air and they should have thrown the ball more.

• Upvote 3

Just now, T0mShane said:

It looked like he was running on sand.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly man, I like you...but he wasn't good tonight.  

Trying to explain away 167 1/1 on an okay YPA isn't going to do it.

I'm not giving up on Rodgers but we should be realistic about what we saw.  

1. That’s not how math works.  8 YPA is a very good number.  That isn’t debatable.  

2. You trying to say that he was awful because of reasons you literally can’t describe is trying to explain something away.  Come back with something tangible.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Oof. Couldn’t watch the majority of the game so assumed he looked ok. 

Anywhere close to old man Broncos Peyton Manning at least? I honestly might settle for that at this point.

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Not unfair, but the big issue in this game was the lack of attempts because we never had the ball. 

167 yards on 21 attempts is 8 yards per attempt, which is ok. But not enough attempts.

No one was good tonight, but I don’t see how this game is really about Rodgers. 

Jets drives tonight:

1 play, fumble

12 plays, TD

3 and out

3 and out

kneeldown into half

Rodgers INT

Lazard TD on the free play

6 plays, turnover on downs

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Give me a break. AR his last full season he threw for 3700 yards, 65%, 26/12. Sign me up. 

4 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Yes, the defense is the major reason they got their asses kicked. I do think they will be better and that SanFran will do this to a lot of teams this year. Tough opponent to start a season, on the road no less. 

I dont. the defense had ZERO pressure on the QB. ZERO. They ran at will against them.  This happened when Ulbrich first took over and teams ran it down our throats the entire year.  They improved the DL the next couple of years thereafter and have now really stuck a hole into it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He threw the ball 21 times at a decent clip; what in the world are you talking about?  Wilson and Hall are supposed to be elite players.  Lazard I half-expect to have a bad drop or two.  I expect better out of Wilson and Hall than what they exhibited tonight; especially Garrett.  He didn’t just drop the ball, he completely lost where he was on the field and, essentially, ended the game by forgetting that he isn’t at Ohio State anymore and needs to get two feet in bounds.  Lazard had the one bad drop but at least he made up for it later on.

There were three 7-10 yard drops on 3rd and fourth down.  4 if you want to be generous and include Wilson letting himself get outmuscled in 4th and 1 by a slot CB.  Thats 21-30 yards (or 28-40 yards) alone.  Who knows what happens if Breece doesn’t have the ball punched out on 1st down during the 2nd drive.

If you want to add another complaint to my list, sure, let’s go with the game plan .  We were far more effective in the air and they should have thrown the ball more.

If he were a rookie or a second year guy and this was a rebuild I would agree with you here.  

But we're talking about Aaron Rodger and a team talking about SB contenders.  He looked NOTHING like a QB capable of carrying a team to a Super Bowl.  Not even a little bit.

Yes, it's week 1 and that can change - but he looked old and I don't even think it's arguable.

2 minutes ago, Yeetin It said:

Oof. Couldn’t watch the majority of the game so assumed he looked ok. 

Anywhere close to old man Broncos Peyton Manning at least? I honestly might settle for that at this point.

He looked good. Better week 1 for him compared to his last few seasons, and this was against the best NFC team without playing for 2 years.. His arm was lively, and he looked like signature Rodgers at many points. Game just wasn't happening.