Over Reaction City

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Considering how the Jets treated the preseason, how could anyone be surprised they got the sh*t kicked out of them in the trenches?

The same people who in August tell us that Real Jets Fans™ don’t predict anything less than 13 wins and the AFC East crown but then are calling for the coaching staff to be shot into space after week 1.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, kmnj said:

with all due respect you are crazy if you think this is a top 5 roster -I never understand this theme that has been pushed hard the entire off season -we are fringe top 10 if we are lucky and we have one of the worst coaches going .

The Texans are everything we hoped the jets would be-tons of talent and a great blend of youth and vets -LOADED offense  across the board and a good young coach -I would give my left nut to have their roster over ours

Bayesian was a top 5 sailing yacht.  It went down at anchor in about 10 minutes.  The yacht has a 10 meter retractable keel that was in the up position when the storm hit.  The Captain was one of the first off the ship.  He's going to face manslaughter charges at some point.  

This is a metaphor for the NY Jets.  Gross negligence from the top down that's killing the loyal fan base.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

The same people who in August tell us that Real Jets Fans™ don’t predict anything less than 13 wins and the AFC East crown but then are calling for the coaching staff to be shot into space after week 1.

Week 1 against an opponent like that- they were basically conceding a loss. 

• Upvote 3

For at least one week, they were a team who's vaunted top-5 D got it's sh*t pushed in in a very nonconsensual way all night long, and an offense that may have at times looked better than the Wilson-led Jets, but didn't really produce any better.  A team's whose playmakers didn't make any real plays, especially on D.  They looked completely unready to play at the 49'ers level, and were dominated pretty much all nightdong by the 9'ers.
Now, it's week 1.  And clearly Saleh's "no one plays in PS" did not prepare them very well, that much was obvious (or should have been) to even the most dismissive homer.  Yes, the 9'ers are a top team, but we were completely unable to compete against them.  Maybe they'll come out, as [mention=8521]JiFtheOracle [/mention] says, and pull off 4 strait wins and be 4-1.
But nothing about what we saw last night indicates a team that can or will do that.  So we'll see.  Week 1, Week 1, Week 1.  Best Jets roster ever, I get it. On paper.  For one week at least, it was the same old sh*t.
So we'll see. 

I thought the offense looked good, but rusty.

We scored three touchdowns in a game. There was a three game stretch last year we didn’t score a single td.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

Man. This is the first actual game that's occurred since I joined the forum.

The reactions are as over the top as I expected lol 

Not that I'm not worried, but I was definitely prepared to be disappointed. There's plenty of time for this team to turn it around, and if they don't... Well... Nothing out of the ordinary in my life 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we truly have expectations of a deep playoff run then that performance (being "completely outclassed") is unacceptable.  Saleh had all offseason to prepare for this game.  

C'mon man. This is ridiculous.

You must be old enough to remember 2010, right?

December 6th in New England: Patriots 45, Jets 3

January 16th in New England, Jets 28, Patriots 21

It's week one.

R-E-L-A-X

• Upvote 2

My bland but reasonable opinion is this.  The Jets are an okay, above average team that lost to one of the top three teams in the NFL.  That's kind of what it looked like to me.  I'm also trying to keep in mind that most of these guys, including the QB, have never played a NFL game together before.  On the road in SF is a tough way to start the year.

The Jets aren't as good as many people thought they were before the season started.  They're probably not quite as bad as they looked last night.  Biggest concern is the run defense (although credit SF for having a mature, elite rushing scheme for years now).  Second biggest concern was that no matter how hard the Jets tried, and even though they got the threat of a passing game going just a bit with GW early, they were never able to execute a really meaningful rush attempt with Breece Hall.  I'll have to look at the stats but it felt like his best runs were mostly 3 yard gains.  I would have expected at least a couple rushes that sprung for 10-15 yards.

Without the ability to sustain any drives except for the one TD run early in the game and one at the end with Taylor at QB, the Jets offense kept the Jets defense on the field all night.  But, the Jets defense also kept themselves on the field all night.

• Upvote 3

Saleh came to the Jets with a focus on winning in the trenches.  On that, he and JD are in lock-step.  They want to win upfront on both the OLine and DLine.  It's the same thing Saleh learned and preached when he was in San Fran.  He saw the success the 49ers had with their rushing game and how they bullied teams with their DLine.  Unfortunately, he learned last night that despite the upgrades on the OLine and having a decent (but not great DLine now that JFM has been swapped out for barely replacement level guys) SF is still the top dog in both trenches.  They are the gold standard, and it showed last night.  Mason and the SF run scheme torched the Jets.  Breece Hall was ineffective.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, funaz said:

I thought the offense looked good, but rusty.

It almost looked like it was the very first time our QB had ever played with this team.  It looked like a team with about 5 new starters on offense playing on the road against the defending NFC Champions and a 2024-2025 Super Bowl favorite. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

As I mentioned in another thread, that sexy vintage Rodgers drive to take the lead early, was longer than any drive they had last year. 

I know it doesnt feel like it right now but there positive take aways from that sh*t show.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Start the season playing 3 games in 11 days.  Don't care about a non-conference road game week 1.  Gonna bang heads with the NFC's best to prove a point?  Then limp into Tennessee?  Then crawl back home for the opener against the effin Pats?  Yeah, it always looks uglier on national tv, but I don't care about entertaining non-Jets fans across the country and their gambling problems.  I'd rather be strong for the Titans, and tough for NE on yet another spotlight game.  We all hated the schedule when it came out.  Still gotta fly to England??  Just glad the injuries are minor, hope Carter is okay, and was good to see AR can still hang in there against probably the best team we'll see this year.   GO JETS !!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

You're missing the logic in that.  There's still 16 games left.  A space launch of the coaching staff today puts us closer to being a 13 win team.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

My bland but reasonable opinion is this.  The Jets are an okay, above average team that lost to one of the top three teams in the NFL.  That's kind of what it looked like to me.  I'm also trying to keep in mind that most of these guys, including the QB, have never played a NFL game together before.  On the road in SF is a tough way to start the year.

The Jets aren't as good as many people thought they were before the season started.  They're probably not quite as bad as they looked last night.  Biggest concern is the run defense (although credit SF for having a mature, elite rushing scheme for years now).  Second biggest concern was that no matter how hard the Jets tried, and even though they got the threat of a passing game going just a bit with GW early, they were never able to execute a really meaningful rush attempt with Breece Hall.  I'll have to look at the stats but it felt like his best runs were mostly 3 yard gains.  I would have expected at least a couple rushes that sprung for 10-15 yards.

Without the ability to sustain any drives except for the one TD run early in the game and one at the end with Taylor at QB, the Jets offense kept the Jets defense on the field all night.  But, the Jets defense also kept themselves on the field all night.

The running game and Hall were very ineffective. I don't understand why Allen wasn't given a few touches until the game was over late in the 4th when he looked really good. There were several important short yardage situations that screamed for Allen to get the ball. I have no faith in this coaching staff whatsoever. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Goodthing they sat taylor who could have helped plug the middle

Not only try 5 DL but they probably should have also used some run blitzes like KC does against SF.

I say that because the Niners were dual blocking SO WELL (it was a OL clinic) they couldn’t read and react. Blowing some plays up could have kept them honest.

39 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

The running game and Hall were very ineffective. I don't understand why Allen wasn't given a few touches until the game was over late in the 4th when he looked really good. There were several important short yardage situations that screamed for Allen to get the ball. I have no faith in this coaching staff whatsoever. 

This seems to be Robert Saleh's approach every year.  He doesn't trust the rookies until he either has to or the Jets are out of playoff contention.  It takes him a while to play the young guys.  I can partially understand it in Week 1 on the road vs. a great team on MNF.  But by late in the 3rd Quarter Allen should have seen the field a bit.  Can only hope this changes in the coming weeks.  Allen needs a minimum of 5-8 touches (not snaps) per game.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, jetstream23 said:

This seems to be Robert Saleh's approach every year.  He doesn't trust the rookies until he either has to or the Jets are out of playoff contention.  It takes him a while to play the young guys.  I can partially understand it in Week 1 on the road vs. a great team on MNF.  But by late in the 3rd Quarter Allen should have seen the field a bit.  Can only hope this changes in the coming weeks.  Allen needs a minimum of 5-8 touches (not snaps) per game.

Yup. It happened with Breece Hall as a rookie also until even Saleh had to play him. It doesn't mean it is right though, especially with the running game needing some juice last night. I envisioned a 2 headed monster at RB with Allen getting 5-10 touches a game. I hope game 2 is different. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

And this time it will be his Waterloo.  Other teams are using all their weapons to try and score and win.  The jets think those players are a jv squad.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Yup. It happened with Breece Hall as a rookie also until even Saleh had to play him. It doesn't mean it is right though, especially with the running game needing some juice last night. I envisioned a 2 headed monster at RB with Allen getting 5-10 touches a game. I hope game 2 is different. 

That's the only way this offense will really cook, have to mix it up and not overuse Breece (even though he's excellent).  I'd like to see a sustainable 70/30 split as we move further into the season.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And this time it will be his Waterloo.  Other teams are using all their weapons to try and score and win.  The jets think those players are a jv squad.

And to that point, did Corley see any targets at all?

I know the Jets were severely limited in time of possession, snaps, etc. but you have to mix it up even just a tiny bit.  The 49ers strategy seemed to be Stop Breece, Lock down Garrett, make the Jets beat us with #2 and #3 WRs and their TE.

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

C'mon man. This is ridiculous.

You must be old enough to remember 2010, right?

December 6th in New England: Patriots 45, Jets 3

January 16th in New England, Jets 28, Patriots 21

It's week one.

R-E-L-A-X

Sadly I would feel a lot better about this team if Rex was the HC and Rex wasn't a great NFL HC by any stretch. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I always expected a week 1 loss. It was surprising how badly our defense got pushed around. That said, if there's anything I trust this coaching staff with it's getting the defense right. We've seen the D stink in early season games and they've turned it around. 

The offense is where I expected the most rust. Saw some promising things there.

I'm not saying things are peachy here but I see no reason to hit any panic buttons. Week 1 is week 1 - it's quasi preseason these days.

I predicted a loss in SF, as well. I was just shocked at how non-competitive the defense was. And it's not like they trailed the entire game and never got a chance to shine. The offense gave them a 7-3 lead and then the 49ers scored on 8 straight (!!!!) possessions. It was a disheartening performance from what was supposed to be an elite unit and it jived with one of my biggest fears going into the season - namely, that the defense was due to regress after being elite for 2 straight years. 

Having said that - yes, 1 week.  No reason to panic. And, I agree, I saw some promising things from the offense. They scored 3 TDs and only had the ball for 1/3rd of the game. Rodgers can still process and throw and the pass protection was solid over 21 attempts. And yes, we have seen the defense have bad defensive performances early in the year under Saleh and then bounce back (week 2 in each of the last 2 years). 

it's not all doom and gloom. 

Also, I'm really tired of getting destroyed on national TV. I REALLY want to blow the Pats out in week 3. I just need to see that again before I die - A dominant performance on national TV. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

this probably pissed me off the most. Hall was getting stuff all night. why not try someone else.

plus the play calling was killing me. stop running it on 1st and 2nd down when its not working.

the only good thing is i think Rodgers wont put up with that. hes going to tell Hackett that the need to mix up these plays. 

5 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Voice of Reason brings everything back to the mean... No over reaction either way... 

Jets weren't awful... They couldn't stop the run... That's it... The rest was self inflicted 

They looked horrible on every front AR looked cooked. Understand it was the first game,  it was not the least bit encouraging. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Part of it could be that Niners had no interest in defending the run at that point.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I always expected a week 1 loss. It was surprising how badly our defense got pushed around. That said, if there's anything I trust this coaching staff with it's getting the defense right. We've seen the D stink in early season games and they've turned it around. 

The offense is where I expected the most rust. Saw some promising things there.

I'm not saying things are peachy here but I see no reason to hit any panic buttons. Week 1 is week 1 - it's quasi preseason these days.

Measured and not reactionary. I like it. 

The biggest problem from this game was clearly run defense - and I have confidence we can sort that out. 

Besides, this is like back in the day when a team had to go into Indy week 1 when they had Peyton/Marvin/Reggie and getting lit up in the passing game. 

Shanahan and the 49ers are the run-game standard in the NFL. And we went into their house and they got us. 

Regroup - the schedule is a lot easier from here on out and maybe a bloody nose right away could be good for this team. 

We’ll see.

If we lose next week? Then we storm the bastille.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Nah, it makes more sense to draft 30 running backs but only let one of them get any touches! 

#NYJ

• Haha 2

They looked horrible on every front AR looked cooked. Understand it was the first game,  it was not the least bit encouraging. 

Looked cooked? He had 4 dropped balls and still had zip on his throws and amazing ball placement.

He hasn’t played a game in over a year and still looked better than any qb we’ve had in a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1