Does Reddick get a call from JD today?

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

JD is the guy supposed playing chess here.   His pieces were:

• Dalvin Cook-do we need him in 2024 for all of that money?  Bad move.
  • Huff-can I extend him in 2023 for less?   Do I let him walk?  Letting him walk was another bad move.
  • JFM-a pro and con player.  Do I keep him?  Because he spent the money on cook, he can’t afford him if he pays Reddick or Huff.
  • Reddick-do I need him.  Reddick was NOT helping much in the 49er game.  He will help in the season.  Was he really that much better than Huff, if he signed Huff early like he was supposed to? 
  • Will McD-is he the pick there?  Can he play EDGE in the NFL?  

I think JD made the wrong batch of decisions, but if his DT was not on IR yesterday, the Jets lose by less. 

How many other games will the Jets need the DT?  Titans can be one of them. 

I'll never understand why he didn't negotiate a 1-year bandaid extension with Reddick to guarantee his presence this year and then deal with a longer term deal next off season. 

Just unfathomable naivete (being generous), arrogance (being neutral), or idiocy (being unkind). 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

It’s about reddick wanting an absurd amount of money not him “showing up” 

Well then gee, maybe an NFL GM with 5 years of experience that has 10 lawyers on staff should've made agreeing to a short-term extension a condition of the trade.

Howie Roseman sold us a pig in a poke. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'll never understand why he didn't negotiate a 1-year bandaid extension with Reddick to guarantee his presence this year and then deal with a longer term deal next off season. 

Just unfathomable naivete (being generous), arrogance (being neutral), or idiocy (being unkind). 

Because Reddick wants a long term deal... It's that simple.. He won't accept a bandaid.. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Because Reddick said he would play as they worked out a contract bandaid... He backed out and now we are here... Something changed... Not sure what 

And we are back to the fact that an NFL GM cannot be so naive.

• Upvote 1

I personally think Reddick said the right things and thought that he could increase his value playing out his last contract year in a Saleh/Ulbrick Defense.

Then he watched JFM and Huff walk and hear about how the Jets now had the best roster in the NFL and were going to the Super Bowl, and he decided that he would not play 2024 cheap-ish.  

The Johnson Brothers from Trading Places would not deal with the re-trading.  

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I get why JD demanded the player's physical presence to negotiate, but in hindsight it was a poor move. Teams and agents discuss terms as the rule without the player present. I get that JD exposed himself a bit and now it's an ego deal, but you know, as any married man knows, sometimes you gotta decide if you'd rather be happy or if you'd rather be right.

Time for JD to choose being happy. 

No he doesn't. He needs to show that this tactic will never work. The last thing you do is cave.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

No he doesn't. He needs to show that this tactic will never work. The last thing you do is cave.

I would've never imposed such a dumb non-value-added condition to talk -- and certainly not publicly. He painted himself into this corner. Now he's gotta play the garbage hand he dealt himself.

• Upvote 4

At this point does anything really matter? It’s over with. There’s no leverage on either side. It’s a dead issue. Reddick isn’t going to provide the Jets anything this season and caving leaves the Jets next regime saddled with a malcontent, which I’m sure Woody would block from happening anyways. Douglas botched the trade. Save a Redick change of heart this is over with. He’s not playing for the Jets.
Then why are we even discussing it .. it's a dead issue ... Joe needs to play the hand out ... The Turn has passed .. he was dealt a brick and the river hasn't helped. It is a good thing he is holding pocket Queens. He can win this.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Then why are we even discussing it .. it's a dead issue ... Joe needs to play the hand out ... The Turn has passed .. he was dealt a brick and the river hasn't helped. It is a good thing he is holding pocket Queens. He can win this.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I doubt the Jets are discussing it 

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

At this point does anything really matter? It’s over with. There’s no leverage on either side. It’s a dead issue. Reddick isn’t going to provide the Jets anything this season and caving leaves the Jets next regime saddled with a malcontent, which I’m sure Woody would block from happening anyways. Douglas botched the trade. Save a Redick change of heart this is over with. He’s not playing for the Jets.

"Reddick isn't going to provide the Jets anything this season" is only true if JD remains unwilling to negotiate.

Worry about the hypothetical "next malcontent" when it arises, every one of these situations is different.  Doing the right thing to improve the team now does not mandate JD give in in every situation going forward in perpetuity.  And lets be honest, the "next malcontent" is likely to be one of our own, Sauce, Wilson, Hall, looking for their big payday.

Reddick is an exceptional pass rusher, and he should have been here day 1.  Fans playing the strident defender role for their guy JD doesn't improve the Jets on the field.  Only JD can do that, by swallowing his ego and pride, accepting his mistakes in re: this trade, and calling Reddick and getting something done, asap.  Anything less is mismanaging the now for some hypothetical principle about the future, a future he may not be here to care about if we don't vastly improve on D from Monday night.

Winning this dispute is less important than winning games.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, jgb said:

I get why JD demanded the player's physical presence to negotiate, but in hindsight it was a poor move. Teams and agents discuss terms as the rule without the player present. I get that JD exposed himself a bit and now it's an ego deal, but you know, as any married man knows, sometimes you gotta decide if you'd rather be happy or if you'd rather be right.

Seeing through the intention of this thread, why is Hasan Reddick your savior for this defense? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Seeing through the intention of this thread, why is Hasan Reddick your savior for this defense? 

It is a false equivalence to characterize the belief that a player makes a team better with him being a savior.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

"Reddick isn't going to provide the Jets anything this season" is only true if JD remains unwilling to negotiate.

Worry about the hypothetical "next malcontent" when it arises, every one of these situations is different.  Doing the right thing to improve the team now does not mandate JD give in in every situation going forward in perpetuity.  And lets be honest, the "next malcontent" is likely to be one of our own, Sauce, Wilson, Hall, looking for their big payday.

Reddick is an exceptional pass rusher, and he should have been here day 1.  Fans playing the strident defender role for their guy JD doesn't improve the Jets on the field.  Only JD can do that, by swallowing his ego and pride, accepting his mistakes in re: this trade, and calling Reddick and getting something done, asap.  Anything less is mismanaging the now for some hypothetical principle about the future, a future he may not be here to care about if we don't vastly improve on D from Monday night.

Winning this dispute is less important than winning games.

Do you not think Douglas would tweak Reddicks deal to save his rear end here?  Douglas is negotiating with his boss and the player here. The whole thing was botched from the beginning because of internal miscommunication with the Jets and an apparent soft verbal agreement from Reddick (which any savvy enough GM could see as a fib). Both sides now see that the GM is in a lame duck season and will likely play chicken for the duration.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

As an organization you must set and establish precedent. This is something he made clear to the other party and he should ride with it.

As for the married comment, give your wife and inch and she'll take a yard. So it's time for JD to be happily right and stick to his guns or do the opposite and have everyone see him about face on his words.  If that's the case then it fair games to test him whenever else. 

No woman is going to be happy with an inch, man …

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jgb said:

Reddick wasn’t the issue on Monday night. They couldn’t stop the run. Reddick would have more leverage if he were a run stuffer. Reddick is an edge rusher. The 49ers ran down our throats. The passes Purdy made were set up by the 49er rushing attack.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Reddick wasn’t the issue on Monday night. They couldn’t stop the run. Reddick would have more leverage if he were a run stuffer. Reddick is an edge rusher. The 49ers ran down our throats. The passes Purdy made were set up by the 49er rushing attack.

Never said he was. This is still a colossal bungling by JD and I hope he swallows his pride for the good of the team.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Never said he was. This is still a colossal bungling by JD and I hope he swallows his pride for the good of the team.

I don't.  You are still looking at this from the perspective of what is the best thing to do to get Reddick in.  Frankly, I don't give a **** about that.  I am worried about the team, and I think that is the wrong move.  If the team is as bad as they looked Monday night he is gone whether Reddick comes in or not and I don't want a ton of money of the books for Reddick - either when JD is redoing deals for Sauce, Garrett Wilson, Breece, AVT and Johnson or when the new guys are trying to restock the roster.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

I’d love to have Reddick on the team, but something tells me it’s going to drag on indefinitely.

14 hours ago, varjet said:

Reddick was NOT helping much in the 49er game.

everyone says Reddick isn't helping meanwhile Purdy got 3 plus seconds to throw 

and fwiw he's not bad against the run. He's like a Johnny Abe. Better than Clemons that's for sure 

• Upvote 1