Cimini said it best today...no really

Just now, JiFtheOracle said:

But this is my point, they dont have anyone like Bowers.  Mike Will, Lazard...these arent guy who get insta-open like Bowers does.  They're not yac guys like Bowers.  You cant line them up all along the LOS like Bowers.  Gipson is not good, Conklin is a sucky jag, and Corley might catch 10 balls this year.  I think he would see a sh*t ton of targets.  All those audibles at the LOS, trying to find the mismatch, guess what, that's Bowers 9 times out of 10.  He's the mismatch king, the chess piece they are missing.

In theory i agree, but Hackett isn’t trying to exploit mismatches.  If he did he’d be scheming to get wilson open more, and use Corley as an easy safety option for rodgers so he’s not a sitting duck in the pocket.  Agree the TEs are jags.  But this offense goes through those rbs and the OL they rebuilt, that much is clear.  Bowers is legit but would be rotting on this team.  

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

“Capitalism: The worst economic system, except for all the others”

This is me agreeing with you lol. The NFL is a mess early this season. None of the teams look amazing. Jets are concerning but  just good to get a win and hoping they improve moving forward.

In 1 week, the Jets went from giving up 5.3 to Mason to 3.5 to Spears/Pollard.  The D forced zero turnovers, this week it was 2 w/ a punt block.  More sacks, more TFL, etc.

Hall averaged 3.4 and then went up to 4.5.  Allen had 2 touches, this week he had 9 and scored running and receiving.  Offense turned the ball over twice vs 49ers, no turnovers vs. Titans.

Jets got dominated in TOP in San Fran, won the TOP game in Nashville. 

These are all improvements.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

In theory i agree, but Hackett isn’t trying to exploit mismatches.  If he did he’d be scheming to get wilson open more, and use Corley as an easy safety option for rodgers so he’s not a sitting duck in the pocket.  Agree the TEs are jags.  But this offense goes through those rbs and the OL they rebuilt, that much is clear.  Bowers is legit but would be rotting on this team.  

Hackett might not be but that is 100% what Rodgers is doing when he's changing the play at the LOS.  Bowers is insta-open, he helps get that ball out in 2.5 like they want so Rodgers isnt a sitting duck.  Right now, outside of G5 and a RB in the flat, nobody else provides that dynamic.  Bowers would be feasting here, especially if a team is trying to take away G5.

• Upvote 1

“Run, run, pass” wasn’t even cool in the 1970s and 1980s when other teams were actually doing it, too.

If you’re going to run, at least run stretch to the outside, use more motion, incorporate misdirection (the first Braelon TD), instead of continually running right into the brick wall of Simmons and Sweat in the middle, which is the strength of their defense.

34 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Blah blah blah, TE, blah blah blah

Bro, this is after 2 weeks...you think it's going to slow down?  lmfao

Receptions
1. Cooper Kupp  LAR 18
2. Brock Bowers  LVR 15
  Chris Godwin  TAM 15
  Malik Nabers  NYG 15
5. De'Von Achane  MIA 14
  Davante Adams  LVR 14
  Nico Collins  HOU 14
  Jaxon Smith-Njigba  SEA 14
  Amon-Ra St. Brown  DET 14
10. Zay Flowers  BAL 13
  D.K. Metcalf  SEA 13
  Deebo Samuel  S

So far this year, the Raiders have 98 yards rushing and are averaging 2.5 ypc. They’re force-feeding the ball to Bowers in an effort to compensate for their lack of a rushing attack. That’s cool, and I’m happy for him. 

I’m not interested in a back and forth on this. Bowers could become a first ballot HoF’er, and I still wouldn’t draft the next hyped up, undersized TE because it would still be a tremendous risk. Should Fashanu develop simply into a quality starting OT, he’ll be considered a solid pick. If Bowers goes on to become an average TE, he’ll be a massive bust. That’s where positional value comes into play. Bowers needs to be on that Kelce/Kitle level to justify his draft position. We’ll see how he holds up while the Raiders continue to try to run the offense thru him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

So far this year, the Raiders have 98 yards rushing and are averaging 2.5 ypc. They’re force-feeding the ball to Bowers in an effort to compensate for their lack of a rushing attack. That’s cool, and I’m happy for him. 

I’m not interested in a back and forth on this. Bowers could become a first ballot HoF’er, and I still wouldn’t drafted the next hyped up, undersized TE because it would still be a tremendous risk. Should Fashanu develop simply into a quality starting OT, he’ll be considered a solid pick. If Bowers goes on to become an average TE, he’ll be a massive bust. That’s where positional value comes into play. Bowers needs to be on that Kelce/Kitle level to justify his draft position. We’ll see how he holds up while the Raiders continue to try to run the offense thru him. 

Caleb Williams took an absolute beating last night in prime time.

But at least the Bears have a flashy toy in Odunze whom they can’t get the ball to because Caleb is running for his life.

After seeing Fields running for his life the last 3 years, I thought the Bears would invest in OL with their #9 overall pick…

🤷‍♂️😬

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Sure, I get the feels stuff but if the Jets keep this type of TD production going, they are on pace for 51 TD's.   They have not scored 51 TD's, combined in the last 3 years. 

Yep. Team had an awful week 1. A better but not great week 2. But the most important thing is it feels like they've still got a ton of room to improve. This offense is nowhere near its ceiling yet. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m not interested in a back and forth on this. Bowers could become a first ballot HoF’er, and I still wouldn’t draft the next hyped up, undersized TE because it would still be a tremendous risk. Should Fashanu develop simply into a quality starting OT, he’ll be considered a solid pick. If Bowers goes on to become an average TE, he’ll be a massive bust. That’s where positional value comes into play. Bowers needs to be on that Kelce/Kitle level to justify his draft position. We’ll see how he holds up while the Raiders continue to try to run the offense thru him. 

Tremendous risk, and here he is, 2nd in the NFL in receptions after 2 weeks.  lmfao.  He was arguably the least risky pick in the draft and is quite literally, showing you that and you're in denial.  Still calling him a TE when he's much much more, so you're are just double downing in your wrongness but it's cool, I get it, you were so vocal about this you gotta hold out hope a little longer so you can be right on this one but, sorry bud, you're just dead wrong.  He's not even leading the team in targets but he does lead in receptions and he's averaging 11 yards per catch, this isnt dump off extensions of the run game, they're not forcing anything, he's getting the ball all over the field because he's already awesome.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The idea was to give their best player the ball as much as possible. Can’t say I hate it. The defense was supposed to be much better. I imagine as Rodgers shakes off more rust the Jets will start passing more. He still looks a bit jittery in the pocket. 

I know you hammered the jets about the preseason and maybe rightfully so

whet I think we are seeing across the league is the month of sept basically becoming the preseason but the games count

when they go to an 18 game season it will be even more prevalent 

positive side is 0-2 would no longer mean your season is over

• Upvote 1

Posting an interesting addition to this thread.  The script definitely needs to be better but…if the plays are there to be made on the all-22, then I have to concede to something that @Matt39 brought up, which is that getting the starters reps in preseason is not as meaningless as I thought.  I’d much rather be the team that starts out ready to go because the units played some sort of live action, than consider the first 4 weeks of the year as, effectively, pre-season games.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Except this is exactly what the 22-23 Packers offense looked like. This is what Rodgers conception of football is these days: lean on the run game, keep it close into the fourth quarter, let Rodgers win it for you at the end. It works against the Will Levis Titans, but not so much against better clubs. 

In fairness that probably *would* have worked against better teams last year with the defense playing the way it did. So it’s not unreasonable to have tried that approach in the first few games.

However, Levis turning the ball over twice and forfeiting a field goal that would have given them a two score lead was the only reason this overly conservative approach worked yesterday and did not work against the niners. Not sure why you’re being downvoted for this 

1 hour ago, funaz said:

Offense has been top 10 in the league.

We're currently (excluding Monday night Football of course):

14th in points scored
25th in Offensive Yards
27th in First Downs gained
20th in Passing Yards
24th in Rushing Yards
20th in % of Drives Resulting in a Score
15th in Turnover Percentage

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2024/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The idea was to give their best player the ball as much as possible. Can’t say I hate it. The defense was supposed to be much better. I imagine as Rodgers shakes off more rust the Jets will start passing more. He still looks a bit jittery in the pocket. 

The coaching staff clearly has PTSD from 2023

• Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

14th in points scored
25th in Offensive Yards
20th in Passing Yards
24th in Rushing Yards

Yeah but.....epa!!!

53 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Posting an interesting addition to this thread.  The script definitely needs to be better but…if the plays are there to be made on the all-22, then I have to concede to something that @Matt39 brought up, which is that getting the starters reps in preseason is not as meaningless as I thought.  I’d much rather be the team that starts out ready to go because the units played some sort of live action, than consider the first 4 weeks of the year as, effectively, pre-season games.

The idea of it being meaningless is the fact, nobody plays their starters and if even they do, there is no correlation to the outcomes of the games on Sunday.  And I'm sorry, playing 2 series doesnt just solve all the issues that you're seeing and that is played out by the fact, teams who did play their starters, still suck right now.  This is a league wide thing that isnt exclusive to the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

The idea of it being meaningless is the fact, nobody plays their starters and if even they do, there is no correlation to the outcomes of the games on Sunday.  And I'm sorry, playing 2 series doesnt just solve all the issues that you're seeing and that is played out by the fact, teams who did play their starters, still suck right now.  This is a league wide thing that isnt exclusive to the Jets. 

Most teams played their starters. Why are you lying 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

14th in points scored
25th in Offensive Yards
20th in Passing Yards
24th in Rushing Yards

Extend Hackett

Maybe make him the HC based on this

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

The measure for success is not "the Jets the last three years".

The same way finishing 18th in Offense this year would be a huge improvement over the recent spate of 28, 29, 31 type finishes.  But 18th isn't good enough, or even good in and of itself.

We should be using more non-Jets-specific criteria and recent league averages as our measuring stick for offensive success.

It's still early, so there is still plenty of time for improvement.

51 TD's would have been good for 7th best last year and the year before.

44 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Thank you for your contribution  

Not not sure what else you're looking for here, or maybe you're just not reading what I'm typing and instead just attacking the poster.  I agree w/ your assessment that not playing starters in preseason has something to do w/ the slow starts teams have, including the NY Jets.  All I was saying is, there is no correlation between wins and losses or playing "well" and playing your staters in preseason.  It's sloppy all around and it's very clear, nobody takes preseason seriously, even if they give their starters a dozen plays and I do not think those dozen plays, makes the difference when the season starts. 

• Upvote 2

tried finding this but came up empty - does anyone know what the saints did in the preseason regarding starters?

Did they play and if so more/less then other teams that played their starters?

Obviously they are off to a flying start but I doubt their ratio is that much different than teams that did as well.  

1 hour ago, JiFtheOracle said:

well like i posted in another thread out of nine 2-0 teams 8 started their QBs in a preseason game. that is some coincidence. thats pretty lopsided.

there were nine 0-2 teams. 

one rookie Nix...

3 2nd year garbage QBs. Levi, Richardson, Young.

and a 5th year garbage QB Daniel Jones.

not sure if they played all 3 preseason games if they would get a win.

the other 4. Balt and the Rams didnt play their starters. only Cincy and Jax played theres.

if Atlanta loses tonight you can add another 0-2 team who didnt play their starters. but you can also add a 2nd team who is 2-0 who didn't play there's.

this might mean nothing but unless you had a 1st or 2nd year starter it looks like it was a really good idea to play your starters, even for a series or 2.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Meh, he posted that 30 minutes into the game?  While I'm not going to argue that the early play calling wasnt very imaginative.  Their first drive was stalled by a Rodgers intentional grounding immediately after picking up a first down.

The 3rd and 1 run up the gut w/ Hall for the third straight time on the following drive would be my guess when he posted this...I agree, terrible predictable play call but they were in 3rd and 1, you gotta be able to pick that up.

Next drive was all pass, Rodgers took a sack, and threw it short of the sticks to Hall on 3rd.

I think the frustrating part of the early play calling, is it was all Hall.  The only other play that wasnt for him was the Corley catch.  They need to get more of the offense involved early, not the Hall show on every down early in the game.  

Otherwise, I didnt hate the play calling at all.  Both RB's were solid.  7 different WR's had a reception. 30 passes vs 24 runs is a good recipe.  I think they get a little stuck trying to force the issue.  They look best when they're going up tempo and letting Rodgers control at the LOS, he's just got to speed up his internal clock a bit and not take everything down to 1 sec on the play clock.

the intentional grounding was bad - looked like Rodgers was a bit scared to take a hit