So who would you pencil in as our new HC GM.

Maynard13

17 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

It's inevitable.  Its not to early to think about this NOW.  This team is pure garbage.  We have some good players, but they are terribly coached and JD hasn't helped matters either.  This OL is older than Sodom and Gomorrah. It will crumble and already has started to.  The DL is a JOKE. No pass rush no stopping the run. Pathetic.  The offense is boring and insultingly basic and ineffective.  Both Saleh and JD need to go after the season.  Rodgers will wave bye bye after the season. He wont be sticking around for this circus.  We will be in rebuild mode YET AGAIN.  Lot of big contracts coming up as well.  This organization needs to get a head coach and GM that has a fresh approach - in other words someone YOUNG and Upcoming.  Look what David Stearns did with the Mets this season. He got them in the PLAYOFFS. They were totally cast off to have a miserable season and yet this mastermind, made a few moves here and there, stole Mendoza away from the Skanks and wallah.....PLAYOFFS!!!!!  Find a David Stearns in the football world and an innovative young HC and lets move into the 21st century.

Woody is grooming the next 20 years of futility...........

images.jpg

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Find a David Stern? Stern did nothing in the off season. He and Cohen basically told the fans he was taking a gap year from building the Mets. Yes, they made the playoffs, but it took a historic performance from their best player to do it. Is there a Francisco Lindor on the Jets? Now I agree with you that Saleh needs to go (not totally  in thevJD must go camp yet) but this is a horrible analogy. 

Suggested reading material.  Baseball for dummies. Stearns is on his way to becoming the next Theo Epstein.  Yes they didnt expect the success they are having BUT Stearns did believe they would be competitive and at the trading deadline didnt sell off his roster and instead made some nice additions.  First off, it was Stearns who revamped the pitching staff getting rid of Scherzer and Verlander for numerous minor league picks who are looking good in the minors.  Not going into it, look it up yourself.  He signed Manea and Severino who have been both outstanding. He held on to Megill and Peterson who has emerged as their ace. He signed Iglesias who has been the spark behind this incredible resurrection.  He sent Baty down and gave the job to Vientos who has been an unreal power supply to their lineup,  He signed Taylor, another clutch performer. He signed JD Martinez who changed the culture of the team.  He continued to tinkle with the bullpen and has improved it without trading away key prospects or players.  And of course, he STOLE Mendoza away from the Skanks.  So your take that Lindor was soley responsible for this amazin run is ludicrous.  Yes he is 2nd in line for MVP behind Shotani. But he hasn't done it alone. Stearns is just getting started. Its going to be  very interesting what he does next year and how this team will look. Lot of money coming off teh books for next year and he's eyeing teh top 2 players on the FA market Soto and Corbin. 

The Jets would be smart to find a young aspiring mind like Stearns in the football world.  The Jets had even hinted they were insterested in hiring Theo Epstein a few years back.  Not a football guy but definitely a very smart GM.  If the Jets can find an equivalent talent, like Stearns, who by the way developed the Brewers, one of the best teams over the last number of years, they would be on the right track.  Their GM picks have been as bad as their QB picks.  So my anology is actually on target, quite interesting and good unlike your cow bell playing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Rex Ryan - Head of Marketing

Bill Belichick - Defensive Coordinator

Eric Mangini - GM

Steven Belichick - Head Coach

Brooks Bollinger - Offensive Coordinator

Ron Middleton - Tight Ends Coach \ Motivational Speaker

Glenn Foley - Running Backs Coach

James Dearth - Offensive Line Coach

Irv Charles - Special Teams Player \ Coach

Rob Moore - All other offensive position coach and Quality Assisstant

Bruce Coslet's Daughter - All other offensive position coach and Quality Assisstant

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, The Troll said:

Yeah, he left him unprotected in the expansion draft because he didn’t want to pay him. 

No more DCs. We hire an offensive coach once every 30 years, pick the worst possible candidate and then use that as justification. “Well, that worked out great last time!” Yeah, because you picked ******* Adam Gase and Rich Kotite. 

Seriously if there is a coaching change this offseason the new guy has to be offensive minded.

Keep Ulbrich to run the defense.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Kliff Kingsbury checks all the boxes.  

I would target him as option 1.

I'm curious as to why you would put him no. 1. My understanding is that the Cardinals were an absolute basketcase in his last season in Arizona. I get the feeling that he's a decent OC, with a good quarterback, but I don't know anything in his background that would suggest he could do a good job at the Jets as a retread head coach.

43 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Seriously if there is a coaching change this offseason the new guy has to be offensive minded.

Keep Ulbrich to run the defense.

I can't see a new head coach agreeing to keep a defensive coordinator that they inherit, unless they are someone like Mike Tomlin, who was happy to work with Dick LeBeau (and vice versa) when he took over the Steelers from Cowher. I don't think Ulbrich is all that special as a defensive coordinator that the incoming head coach should be forced to keep him.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Suggested reading material.  Baseball for dummies. Stearns is on his way to becoming the next Theo Epstein.  Yes they didnt expect the success they are having BUT Stearns did believe they would be competitive and at the trading deadline didnt sell off his roster and instead made some nice additions.  First off, it was Stearns who revamped the pitching staff getting rid of Scherzer and Verlander for numerous minor league picks who are looking good in the minors.   

Stearns wasn't with the Mets last year when the Mets traded away Scherzer and Verlander. He was basically on gardening leave from the Brewers at the time of the trades. Billy Eppler was still the GM at that stage.

59 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

Stearns wasn't with the Mets last year when the Mets traded away Scherzer and Verlander. He was basically on gardening leave from the Brewers at the time of the trades. Billy Eppler was still the GM at that stage.

Yes this is accurate. However, Eppler was DONE in NY. He had nothing to do with making that trade happen.  Cohen had eyes on Stearns throughout the summer.  Read between the lines.

5 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

I'm curious as to why you would put him no. 1. My understanding is that the Cardinals were an absolute basketcase in his last season in Arizona. I get the feeling that he's a decent OC, with a good quarterback, but I don't know anything in his background that would suggest he could do a good job at the Jets as a retread head coach.

I want a head coach this with the following traits:

1) Offensive background

2) Creative play caller and designer (a modern NFL OC)

3) HC experience

He checks all of those boxes.  Yes, his last year was tough, but that happens to every HC that's been fired.  If you want someone with prior HC experience he's going to have had a rough final year (Bellichick included) None of these guys are going to come without question marks.

He's older, I'm sure learned a lot from his previous experience and is currently killing it as an OC again.  

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not just that he missed.  It's that the process was flawed for each selection, AND they failed so miserably. 

Morgan was a "meh" prospect at the time he was selected and never came close to playing a down in the league.  Zach Wilson was a classic late riser mistake who is arguably a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf, especially when you consider how loaded that draft class was.  And Travis was a baffling selection:  An injured QB with an arm weaker than post-surgery Chad Pennington?  C'mon.

It's HIGHLY difficult to entrust Joe Douglas with drafting another QB with that kind of track record.

I've read speculation that JD wanted to keep Sam Darnold for one more year, but was eventually out-voted by Woody, Saleh, etc on drafting a new QB...

I'd be worried about letting Douglas draft another QB, but as we know with this franchise, the grass isn't always greener. I can't see an obvious, significant candidate to improve the GM spot. Outside of his early drafts, Douglas has undoubtedly done well bringing in talent and managing the cap here. I personally would be ok with giving him another shot. At worst, he will probably leave the team in decent shape cap-wise and talent-wise for the next guy.

• Upvote 1

As for new HC - Vrabel is probably my pick, with the caveat that the team takes a young talented OC. I see the argument for making an OC the HC, but I'm worried someone inexperienced will get chewed up here in NY and possibly let the discipline problems continue. Vrabel should be able to fix the discipline and keep the defense, which is the true heart of the team, strong. He has shown he will let OCs do what they need to.

I want the fresh, creative offensive mind to be able to focus just on getting the best of the offensive talent. Lafleur never really had a chance and obviously Hackett is a disaster, but I don't think we need an offensive HC when we JUST need to fix the offense. If a suitably experienced HC can be found with offensive acumen that's fine, but if we are hiring someone pretty fresh then I want them at OC

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I've read speculation that JD wanted to keep Sam Darnold for one more year, but was eventually out-voted by Woody, Saleh, etc on drafting a new QB...

I'd be worried about letting Douglas draft another QB, but as we know with this franchise, the grass isn't always greener. I can't see an obvious, significant candidate to improve the GM spot. Outside of his early drafts, Douglas has undoubtedly done well bringing in talent and managing the cap here. I personally would be ok with giving him another shot. At worst, he will probably leave the team in decent shape cap-wise and talent-wise for the next guy.

The rumor was that Saleh wanted Darnold.  I strongly believe that it was Woody that wanted to draft Wilson and save the 5th year option on Darnold.  

JD and his scouts are really agents for the coaches.   They do a good job on defense because the coaches do the real scouting.   We have no offensive coaches so we can’t find offensive players.   The only way they the Jets will be able to hire offensive coaches is to hire an offensive HC.   I think JD can work with that and do better.  If Ulbrich stayed to work with an offensive HC and prove himself that would be great. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Rogers said:

As for new HC - Vrabel is probably my pick, with the caveat that the team takes a young talented OC. I see the argument for making an OC the HC, but I'm worried someone inexperienced will get chewed up here in NY and possibly let the discipline problems continue. Vrabel should be able to fix the discipline and keep the defense, which is the true heart of the team, strong. He has shown he will let OCs do what they need to.

I want the fresh, creative offensive mind to be able to focus just on getting the best of the offensive talent. Lafleur never really had a chance and obviously Hackett is a disaster, but I don't think we need an offensive HC when we JUST need to fix the offense. If a suitably experienced HC can be found with offensive acumen that's fine, but if we are hiring someone pretty fresh then I want them at OC

No more defensive head coaches please and thank you. 

• Upvote 2

I think we were on the right track with Saleh and Douglas. It just hasn’t worked out. Maybe the season ends on a great note. Who knows.

For HC, hire a CEO. I thought we were getting that in Saleh. Mike Vabrel I think is a solid choice.

For GM, hire someone who cares about building the trenches. Again that’s JD. Just didn’t click.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

I think we were in the right track with Saleh and Douglas. It just hasn’t worked out yet. Maybe the season ends on a great note. Who knows.

For HC, hire a CEO. I thought we were getting that in Saleh. Mike Vabrel I think is a solid choice.

For GM, hire someone who cares about building along the trenches. Again that’s JD. Just didn’t click.

I don't see the Johnsons doing it the right way.

There is enough excessive penalties and lack of game preparation to throw Saleh under the bus and give JD another chance with another HC.  We all would prefer an OC, but I can see it being Vrabel who can function more like a CEO and potentially attract a good OC.  His OC's have gone on to good jobs as HCs.  

I just don't see Ben Johnson coming here.  No way.  

• Upvote 1

the franchise needs a head of football ops after this year.
someone who will sit across from mrs. johnson and a sobbing woody
(she wear the pants btw, i've seen them in action)
and demand a mussolini level of control, 10 yrs, no meddling. 
BB, Pete, John H, Ozzy, and/or try to draw the best HC minds with the promotion.
is it tampering if you approach a mcvay or shanny with total control and hc?
will cost some picks, like parcells deal or something. need to conjure up a new qb too.

• Post of the Week 1

21 hours ago, Maxman said:

Eric Mangini - GM

Bruce Coslet's Daughter - All other offensive position coach and Quality Assisstant

I'd rather hire that Strength and Conditioning Coach who tripped the Dolphins returner that one time for ST coach.  He had moxie.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 10/1/2024 at 9:11 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not just that he missed.  It's that the process was flawed for each selection, AND they failed so miserably. 

Morgan was a "meh" prospect at the time he was selected and never came close to playing a down in the league.  Zach Wilson was a classic late riser mistake who is arguably a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf, especially when you consider how loaded that draft class was.  And Travis was a baffling selection:  An injured QB with an arm weaker than post-surgery Chad Pennington?  C'mon.

It's HIGHLY difficult to entrust Joe Douglas with drafting another QB with that kind of track record.

Missing with Zach was bad, but I don't think that's even the biggest reason not to trust JD. It was also very obvious early on that Zach was a mistake. JD couldn't admit that and failed to move on or he would have already had a second chance at picking a QB. Instead, he kept trotting out there and let the whole thing become a national joke then threw out a desperate hail mary with Rodgers that, so far, has blown up in his face spectacularly.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Missing with Zach was bad, but I don't think that's even the biggest reason not to trust JD. It was also very obvious early on that Zach was a mistake. JD couldn't admit that and failed to move on or he would have already had a second chance at picking a QB. Instead, he kept trotting out there and let the whole thing become a national joke then threw out a desperate hail mary with Rodgers that, so far, has blown up in his face spectacularly.

Indeed.  Drafting Zach Wilson was bad enough.  Installing him as the unquestioned QB1 for his first 2 seasons, then the unquestioned QB2 in his 3rd season, were even more unforgivable. 

Even if the argument is correct that Woody Johnson was pulling the strings on this, then that means Joe Douglas lacks a spine to challenge Woody and we're even more f**ked moving forward....

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2024 at 1:30 AM, Maxman said:

Eric Mangini - GM

👆 hates Aaron Glenn -- probably still bitter about the fake spike.

e5xn2ap532wc1.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2024 at 8:34 AM, Untouchable said:

Belichick 

The biggest damn problem with this team are discipline and fundamentals.

You think BB has any qualms about holding people accountable and jumping up their assh0les when they screw up?

Guarantee this team would be prepared and focused every week.

As much as I would hate to bring Bellicheck to this team, I agree with you.  This guy is a jerk, but the guy knows what he is doing.  If Bellicheck had Saleh coaching under him, he would fire him.  

• Upvote 1