Cimini Article: Behind the scenes of Saleh firing

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41774809/new-york-jets-look-coach-robert-saleh-split-woody-johnson

Pretty boring article unlike the stuff the athletic comes up with. 

Couple of things I did not know 

1) Saleh’s representative said they don’t feel conversations between Rodgers and Woody led to his firing. Confirmed what Rodgers said on McAfee. 

2) Saleh did ask to address the team one more time and Woody nixed it. 

3) It seems like the players generally liked Saleh (especially the defense). 

4) Woody felt boxed in by Rodgers as the sole reason he kept Saleh. He wanted to keep Aaron happy. 

5) Woody wanted Saleh to fire Ulbrich after the 2021 season. 

Couple of things  of note

#4 is a huge indictment on Woody. How can an owner allow a player to have that much control? Especially a player who has done nothing for the franchise and will only be here a year or two. 

I actually believe that Woody didn’t tell Rodgers he was firing Saleh when they spoke on Monday. Based on this article he really does come across as a huge coward that didn’t want to confront anyone in the organization. 

The players think Woody is a clown

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Theodore said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41774809/new-york-jets-look-coach-robert-saleh-split-woody-johnson

1) Saleh’s representative said they don’t feel conversations between Rodgers and Woody led to his firing. Confirmed what Rodgers said on McAfee. 

4) Woody felt boxed in by Rodgers as the sole reason he kept Saleh. He wanted to keep Aaron happy. 

#4 is a huge indictment on Woody. How can an owner allow a player to have that much control? Especially a player who has done nothing for the franchise and will only be here a year or two. 

I actually believe that Woody didn’t tell Rodgers he was firing Saleh when they spoke on Monday. Based on this article he really does come across as a huge coward that didn’t want to confront anyone in the organization. 

liking a coach and respecting a coach are two different things.  maybe the players liked bobby, especially the defensive guys, but i don't think the offensive guys liked him much.  i'd like to hear about the reasons bobby got rid of milfy.  that story is more interesting.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

liking a coach and respecting a coach are two different things.  maybe the players liked bobby, especially the defensive guys, but i don't think the offensive guys liked him much.  i'd like to hear about the reasons bobby got rid of milfy.  that story is more interesting.

Players were tired of eagle and crow quotes. Needed a new voice. 

• Upvote 2

Because the athletic just makes sh*t up

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Welcome to the board, new member! Good stuff! 👍 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A thing Cimini has said on his pod a few times that I found interesting is that Woody forcing Rex Hogan out over money hasn’t sat well with people in the building. Said he was a respected, popular guy. Woody has literally never done anything right, so him deciding to fire anyone by himself is probably a bad move. 

If true, I just don't get how those two clowns would fire Saleh without discussing with JD.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

^^^BINGO^^^

Jets fans NEVER got what they were promised: To have the HC report to GM and GM report to the doofus.    Instead, we got what we have had since the doofus bought the team from the Hess estate: Both GM and HC report to the doofus and more than likely, the doofus has to approve almost everything.

It’s not necessarily wrong to have both report to the owner, but Douglas doesn’t seem to have any say in anything. And Elhaie the president has say on the roster and staff. 

9 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • I think Cimini is a real reporter who is not going to make stuff up.  But he is a typical Jet reporter, in that he delivers news with a negative/cynical bias.  Other teams' reporters are homer fans.  
  • Like the rest of us I struggle with what is the right answer here.  I would have thought that somehow JD and even the Johnsons could have worked with Saleh to fix the problems rather than leaving them one coach down.   We will see if Golf Course Bobby really was that fundamentally flawed.  The lack of prep, accounting and discipline were clear, but it is sad that firing Saleh was the only way they were going to fix it.  
  • But I don't think this adventure shows that the Johnsons got it figured out and now know how to run a team.   I think this is confirmation that the Woody's style of management is going to alienate anybody decent from replacing Saleh/JD.  It is possible that JD and Saleh were sold by Christopher and they did not appreciate what the world of Woody would be.
  • But to sum it up, people here disagree, but I think recently Woody was behind the trade for Darnold, drafting ZW and dumping Darnold, not replacing Greg Knapp, drafting Sauce, firing MLF, firing Rex Hogan from Utah who pushed for ZW, signing Hackett and getting Rodgers, and now firing Saleh.   
  • Time will tell, but I don't know what kind of quality people this organization will be able to attract.   The GM is not a real GM, and the HC reports to the impulsive owner.   Basically you get people wanting to cash out. 

Great thoughts here. What exactly is the purpose of the New York Jets?

• Upvote 1

Just now, varjet said:

If true, I just don't get how those two clowns would fire Saleh without discussing with JD.  

Knowing Woody’s history, he checked the finances with Hymie Elhai, saw an opportunity to minimize his losses, and then told Douglas what he was gonna do. The worst case scenario for Woody is that Saleh eked out nine/ten wins and a playoff spot with Rodgers, which results in a second contract for both Saleh and Douglas. He thinks he can get the same result out of Ulbrich, at which point he could turn around and give Ulbrich pennies on the dollar to stay on in the offseason.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Theodore said:

how about #5. he wanted to fire Ulrich after ONE YEAR!. Woody is a fool.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A thing Cimini has said on his pod a few times that I found interesting is that Woody forcing Rex Hogan out over money hasn’t sat well with people in the building. Said he was a respected, popular guy. Woody has literally never done anything right, so him deciding to fire anyone by himself is probably a bad move. 

so your saying without saying it that firing Saleh is probably a bad move. i agree.

2 hours ago, Theodore said:

certainly did not tell Rogers anything. Him getting fired had everything to do with Saleh getting involved in politics.

Saleh has been no different than he has been the last few years but now he stepped into a political statement.The flag!

There was no need to discuss just time for him to go. You all can play dumb if you like but that's the truth that's the big difference change  that happened!

• Thumb Down 1

31 minutes ago, Dcat said:

^^^BINGO^^^

Jets fans NEVER got what they were promised: To have the HC report to GM and GM report to the doofus.    Instead, we got what we have had since the doofus bought the team from the Hess estate: Both GM and HC report to the doofus and more than likely, the doofus has to approve almost everything.

Still need cry emoji 

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Pretty sure Hogan was leading the get rid of Darnold draft Zach train 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • I think Cimini is a real reporter who is not going to make stuff up.  But he is a typical Jet reporter, in that he delivers news with a negative/cynical bias.  Other teams' reporters are homer fans.  
  • Like the rest of us I struggle with what is the right answer here.  I would have thought that somehow JD and even the Johnsons could have worked with Saleh to fix the problems rather than leaving them one coach down.   We will see if Golf Course Bobby really was that fundamentally flawed.  The lack of prep, accounting and discipline were clear, but it is sad that firing Saleh was the only way they were going to fix it.  
  • But I don't think this adventure shows that the Johnsons got it figured out and now know how to run a team.   I think this is confirmation that the Woody's style of management is going to alienate anybody decent from replacing Saleh/JD.  It is possible that JD and Saleh were sold by Christopher and they did not appreciate what the world of Woody would be.
  • But to sum it up, people here disagree, but I think recently Woody was behind the trade for Darnold, drafting ZW and dumping Darnold, not replacing Greg Knapp, drafting Sauce, firing MLF, firing Rex Hogan from Utah who pushed for ZW, signing Hackett and getting Rodgers, and now firing Saleh.   
  • Time will tell, but I don't know what kind of quality people this organization will be able to attract.   The GM is not a real GM, and the HC reports to the impulsive owner.   Basically you get people wanting to cash out. 

good post.

the lack of prep and all the other stuff this board blamed Saleh for is not his fault. and i know this because the defense didnt have these problems. if a HC is bad the whole team is bad.

its no coincidence that the offense is the problem with the worst OC and OL coach in the NFL. i just dont see that Ulrich will have a different outcome with those two.

all they did was demote Hacket and promote Downing. they could have done that with keeping Saleh and Ulrich and the defensive coaches where they were. now the defense will take a hit.

maybe not tonight because i expect a win like always happens when a new HC comes in, but i dont think this will work. and its not Ulrich, its the situation. thrusted into learning on the fly with a flawed coaching staff that is shorthanded. poor guy should have turned it down. this could hurt his chances in Jan to get a job.

there is a reason interm coaches dont work out. its hard to learn this in season.

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean he should have been fired after the 2022 collapse. That was the time to do it

thats a little to soon. cant fire coaches every 2 years.

but i agree HC changes need to be done in the off season. doing it now 5 days before a game for 1st place could be one of the stupidest moves in NFL history.

1 minute ago, doitny said:

good post.

the lack of prep and all the other stuff this board blamed Saleh for is not his fault. and i know this because the defense didnt have these problems. if a HC is bad the whole team is bad.

its no coincidence that the offense is the problem with the worst OC and OL coach in the NFL. i just dont see that Ulrich will have a different outcome with those two.

all they did was demote Hacket and promote Downing. they could have done that with keeping Saleh and Ulrich and the defensive coaches where they were. now the defense will take a hit.

maybe not tonight because i expect a win like always happens when a new HC comes in, but i dont think this will work. and its not Ulrich, its the situation. thrusted into learning on the fly with a flawed coaching staff that is shorthanded. poor guy should have turned it down. this could hurt his chances in Jan to get a job.

there is a reason interm coaches dont work out. its hard to learn this in season.

The highest paid player on the defense has been phoning it in all year and is likely out of shape.

The Jets have also not been very good against the run and soft at the point of attack. Saleh was likely a major part of the issue here. The touchdown the Broncos scored was a major breakdown similar to the Lions game in 2022. Too much of that

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

good post.

I was at the game last Sunday and after the first quarter it felt like the Jets were going to get blown out 34-0. They looked inept to start the game. The fourth down and 2 where they run it straight up the middle...I wanted to scream.

Somebody needed to go and Saleh was the guy. Woody had seen enough. Maybe he ends up with a Todd Bowles like career but I don't think we will ever look back and say, "sh*t, we let a good one get away" ala Pete Carroll. 

Bob Saleh, like so many that have come before him, was not cut out for head coaching job of the NYJ.

35 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

And Elhaie the president has say on the roster and staff. 

This is the most disturbing part to me. Who TF IS THIS GUY and why is he making any football decisions?! Some corporate, bottom line, slimeball who has no business being involved in anything to do with sports operations. Ugh... what a bunch of BS. The only hope here is that Woody and this Hymen guy accidentally backed into a real HC material in Ulbrich, and JD remains on as GM... because a whole lot of ppl seem to have forgotten how TERRIBLE the roster was for years upon years before he got in here and tore it down. We actually have talented players now at least. Some ppl have very short memory