NY POST "Woody Johnson has turned the Jets into a dysfunctional mess"

https://nypost.com/2024/10/21/sports/woody-johnson-has-turned-the-jets-into-a-dysfunctional-mess/

The difference between the two organizations could not have been more stark on Sunday. Here you have the Steelers, who have had three coaches since 1969, and the Jets, who will probably be on their third coach in four months by the end of January The stable Steelers and the dysfunctional Jets."

Glad I'm not the only one that sees it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

https://nypost.com/2024/10/21/sports/woody-johnson-has-turned-the-jets-into-a-dysfunctional-mess/

The difference between the two organizations could not have been more stark on Sunday. Here you have the Steelers, who have had three coaches since 1969, and the Jets, who will probably be on their third coach in four months by the end of January The stable Steelers and the dysfunctional Jets."

The Steelers are am anomaly. The Giants have had more coaches past 10 years than the Jets. JD was touted as the next big gm by a lot of pundits when he was hired. You can look at him for hiring cheap coaches that's fair imo. Besides that, what do you want him to do?

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Woody is the worst owner is sports.

But most of this is on Douglas. Woody didn’t mettle (this time) until it was clear that the Jets were not a playoff caliber team. Douglas has had five years to build this and things haven’t improved.

Which brings us to drafting Zach Wilson. An unconscionable and unrecoverable forced error. 

Last, the “fix” for the Zach Wilson mistake was a trade for a washed up player that no other team wanted. 

I said that 4 years ago and was NEG Repped like crazy. JD's 1st draft told you a ton. He can't evaluate talent.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Honest question: were the Jets a winning powerhouse franchise and Woody touched it and it sucked? I have no allegiance to Johnson & Johnson, but there seems to be, like always, this fantasy that the Jets were winners before the old pathetic man got involved. 

The Jets have always been, and I dare to say will always be, losers. Nothing personal. That's just their thing. Yankees for whatever reason are attached to the image of winning. Same thing with Real Madrid, and many other clubs. The Jets are just the losers of the sports realm. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Costello is a moron. Only he can be correct in comparing the franchises but be completely wrong in the reasons he highlighted.

The whole "stability = success" mantra is absurd. Success is what breeds stability. Forget Pittsburgh being a complete outlier, show me a coaching staff that has a long tenure, and I'll show you a team that has won Super Bowls. Does anyone really think sticking with the bozos we have hired another 5 years would have gotten a different result? How has the steady hand worked in Dallas? Give me a break.

You want to know why the Steelers are highly competitive year over year? Listen to Tomlin's post-game interview. He talked about how they practice. How they they are a hard team to play for. They don't do "walk-thrus" on Friday - they have 2 hour practices. He said a lot of players won't go to Pittsburgh because it's a tough place to play. And Tomlin doesn't want those guys anyway.

The Jets are a soft & stupid team. That's a reflection of the organization's mentality. And that, ultimately is a reflection of the owner. Period. Stop.

"Soft & Stupid"

Nothing out there better describes the characteristics of this team and its owner..... as stupid as it gets.   No wonder his family didn't want him anywhere near J & J.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Costello is a moron. Only he can be correct in comparing the franchises but be completely wrong in the reasons he highlighted.

The whole "stability = success" mantra is absurd. Success is what breeds stability. Forget Pittsburgh being a complete outlier, show me a coaching staff that has a long tenure, and I'll show you a team that has won Super Bowls. Does anyone really think sticking with the bozos we have hired another 5 years would have gotten a different result? How has the steady hand worked in Dallas? Give me a break.

You want to know why the Steelers are highly competitive year over year? Listen to Tomlin's post-game interview. He talked about how they practice. How they they are a hard team to play for. They don't do "walk-thrus" on Friday - they have 2 hour practices. He said a lot of players won't go to Pittsburgh because it's a tough place to play. And Tomlin doesn't want those guys anyway.

The Jets are a soft & stupid team. That's a reflection of the organization's mentality. And that, ultimately is a reflection of the owner. Period. Stop.

Yeah listening to all of the people are telling us practice doesn’t matter, preseason is pointless etc etc. enough already. Salehs approach was an embarrassment to the sport. Whether that was encouraged by people above, I don’t know. But the entire operation is based off of not hurting feelings. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Honest question: were the Jets a winning powerhouse franchise and Woody touched it and it sucked? I have no allegiance to Johnson & Johnson, but there seems to be, like always, this fantasy that the Jets were winners before the old pathetic man got involved. 

The Jets have always been, and I dare to say will always be, losers. Nothing personal. That's just their thing. Yankees for whatever reason are attached to the image of winning. Same thing with Real Madrid, and many other clubs. The Jets are just the losers of the sports realm. 

The Jets were (mostly) a highly competitive team in the 1980s. Just could never get over the hump.

The 90s were largely a disaster until Parcells came in to right the ship. Woody bought the team and stayed out of the way (because he admittedly knew *nothing* about football). The team had success - but again could not get over the hump.

You can draw a circle around the point in which Woody became a bad owner. The first 8 years of his tenure he was (rightly) consumed by getting the new stadium done. More failures with the WSS being defeated and the abortion that is MetLife Stadium. 

PSLs needed to be sold, and our genius owner started pushing his way into football decisions. From Favre, to Tebow to today. Everything this guy touches turns to sh!t.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah listening to all of the people are telling us practice doesn’t matter, preseason is pointless etc etc. enough already. Salehs approach was an embarrassment to the sport. Whether that was encouraged by people above, I don’t know. But the entire operation is based off of not hurting feelings. 

This team sucked before Saleh, during Saleh and it will most likely suck after Saleh. This whole organization SUX.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I was ripped on here this summer for pointing out how little the team actually practiced DURING TRAINING CAMP. We were told that this was the "hardest" training camp they ever had. Meanwhile they were only having three 90 minute practices a week.

And people wonder why they suck?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

27 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

The Bills missed the playoffs for 20 years then they got Josh Allen.

2 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

I was ripped on here this summer for pointing out how little the team actually practiced DURING TRAINING CAMP. We were told that this was the "hardest" training camp they ever had. Meanwhile they were only having three 90 minute practices a week.

And people wonder why they suck?

It’s the only thing I talked about lol. @Gaffneycatch81 as well. The team flat out barely practice all summer. How was this allowed? Hell even the league should have been monitoring that imo. It was a disgrace to the sport. 

10 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

The Jets were (mostly) a highly competitive team in the 1980s. Just could never get over the hump.

The 90s were largely a disaster until Parcells came in to right the ship. Woody bought the team and stayed out of the way (because he admittedly knew *nothing* about football). The team had success - but again could not get over the hump.

You can draw a circle around the point in which Woody became a bad owner. The first 8 years of his tenure he was (rightly) consumed by getting the new stadium done. More failures with the WSS being defeated and the abortion that is MetLife Stadium. 

PSLs needed to be sold, and our genius owner started pushing his way into football decisions. From Favre, to Tebow to today. Everything this guy touches turns to sh!t.

So they were always losers and in 1980 were better losers?

3 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

So they were always losers and in 1980 were better losers?

I mean, sure. But those Jets provided great times and memories.

The Jets of the last 15 years have provided me literally nothing for my investment. NOTHING.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I'll give credit to Mike Francesa for saying this. The Jets were once respectable in the Woody Johnson era, but that is a result of Leon Hess hiring Bill Parcells. The Parcells era spilled over into the Woody era. It truly became Woody's team when Idzik was hired, and we all know how much success we have had since then. 

30 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

This team sucked before Saleh, during Saleh and it will most likely suck after Saleh. This whole organization SUX.

It’s at the top. But this latest Saleh iteration was a total FU to the fans. Zero effort. The coach has to set the tone and Saleh even being at the facility seemed to be a chore. 

• Upvote 2

You pose a flawed argument... The point is ... With such important decisions as hiring a GM and HC ... You don't **** it up. And the Steelers haven't.

The Jets have. Worse than damn near any other team in history.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

im with you. i am glad im not the only one to see that firing Saleh at 2-3 was stupid.

Costello hit it on the head about the players Loving Saleh. you dont fire a HC that the team loves that is 2-3 playing for 1st place. and do you know how i know they loved him ? we never got that new HC bump. i forgot what the stats are but they are ridiculously in favor of a win the 1st game of a interim HC. the reason is they hate there HC and are glad a he got fired. not here. they loved Saleh. 

i see alot of Nostradamus's here telling us that now they knew Ulbrich wasnt going to do anything. he doesnt have a magic wand, the firing of Saleh was just for show...blah, blah, blah......

so then why fire Saleh at 2-3 if you all new Ulbrich would lose the next few games? you guys hated Saleh so much you were willing to give up the season at 2-3? wouldnt it be better to keep Saleh so the CS is intact? 

Belichick said it. did anyone even think about having a HC who is not giving up his DC position? Tony Dungy said its a hell of a lot of work for one man to do. but hey we dont listen to 2 ex HCs who know all about the work that these guys do. no Woody listens to the fans. i swear he came on here that Monday and saw the 10 fire Saleh posts and gave the fans what they wanted without thinking about how the players, GM or how the coaching staff was going to be without Saleh.

and the defense is worst without Saleh. what a surprise.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I said that 4 years ago and was NEG Repped like crazy. JD's 1st draft told you a ton. He can't evaluate talent.

It's  never popular to have an opinion that doesn't  follow the masses around here. I was told to go root for another team because I didn't  like drafting Zach. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, doitny said:

im with you. i am glad im not the only one to see that firing Saleh at 2-3 was stupid.

Costello hit it on the head about the players Loving Saleh. you dont fire a HC that the team loves that is 2-3 playing for 1st place. and do you know how i know they loved him ? we never got that new HC bump. i forgot what the stats are but they are ridiculously in favor of a win the 1st game of a interim HC. the reason is they hate there HC and are glad a he got fired. not here. they loved Saleh. 

i see alot of Nostradamus's here telling us that now they knew Ulbrich wasnt going to do anything. he doesnt have a magic wand, the firing of Saleh was just for show...blah, blah, blah......

so then why fire Saleh at 2-3 if you all new Ulbrich would lose the next few games? you guys hated Saleh so much you were willing to give up the season at 2-3? wouldnt it be better to keep Saleh so the CS is intact? 

Belichick said it. did anyone even think about having a HC who is not giving up his DC position? Tony Dungy said its a hell of a lot of work for one man to do. but hey we dont listen to 2 ex HCs who know all about the work that these guys do. no Woody listens to the fans. i swear he came on here that Monday and saw the 10 fire Saleh posts and gave the fans what they wanted without thinking about how the players, GM or how the coaching staff was going to be without Saleh.

Why didn’t they play like they loved him? The timing was odd as Saleh should have been fired a while ago and Woody has never done that before. But we’ve  built a culture where the players “loved” Saleh because nothing really mattered and practice was like an hour of grab ass and then everyone could go home. Eventually Woody was going to pull the plug on that. That always has an expiration date (in any professional alerting) and I don’t think Saleh was actually blindsided about being fired. 

Is G5 out there dropping a ball off his chest because he’s thinking in that moment about how Woody is such a bad owner?

I mean I get that Woody is clueless but the arguments have to at least make sense.

G5 had 2 on false starts on different drives in the 2nd half to hurt the cause when they desperately needed a score to regain some momentum.

But overall, the penalty situation has improved the last couple of weeks.

Woody was in London when Chris hired Gase and then Douglas and then Saleh.

So I guess it’s Chris’ fault G5 is having these mental lapses?

1 hour ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

There’s a lot to this. I’ve felt the same way for a long time. The Red Sox had me doubting it for a few years, but then I realized there are always outliers.

Like it or not, teams have an identity. The losers talk about “changing the culture”, but rarely do.

1 hour ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Yanks dont have to deal with a hard cap and baseball is not the team sport that football is.  You can buy sluggers and pitchers and make it work.  In football, you cant buy a winning team.  You have to build and develop one. 

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

POTW Nomination!

44 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It's  never popular to have an opinion that doesn't  follow the masses around here. I was told to go root for another team because I didn't  like drafting Zach. 

I had ZW on my do not draft list as you did.  And Becton too.  I also told a few of the toxically positive fan boys to piss off when I spoke truth. The Jets are a mess.  They have been and they will be so long as they are administrated by a fool. 

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Why didn’t they play like they loved him? The timing was odd as Saleh should have been fired a while ago and Woody has never done that before. But we’ve  built a culture where the players “loved” Saleh because nothing really mattered and practice was like an hour of grab ass and then everyone could go home. Eventually Woody was going to pull the plug on that. That always has an expiration date (in any professional alerting) and I don’t think Saleh was actually blindsided about being fired. 

the players got blindsided. i mean they were 2-3 not 2-5 its not smart to do a change like this at 2-3. thats why we all said this has never been done this early before with a team who still had a season left.

its not that Saleh is such a great HC, he is not. but like Belichick and Dungy said in so many words, its not smart to have a DC also be your HC. you cant do both jobs effectively. now if Woody would have asked some football people like his GM maybe he would have went through those scenarios with him. 

im sure that is the case with most interim HCs, but the difference is that those teams were done and not playing for 1st place in 5 days.

im sorry but i dont believe we are better having Ulbrich be a full time HC AND a full time DC instead of keeping Saleh and Ulbrich where they were at least while we still had a season left.

and what did we accomplish doing this? we ruin Ulbrich's chances of being a HC. there is no way he gets a shot now. and we ruined our chances of making the playoffs.

52 minutes ago, doitny said:

Because our defense with Saleh was really stout against SF without their superstar RB.

Bill Belichick hates the Jets and will say anything he can to drag the franchise.  Robert Saleh was a terrible HC.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Because our defense with Saleh was really stout against SF without their superstar RB.

Pittsburgh isnt that good and we gave up 37 points. the most all year. 

SF kicked 6 FG for 18 pts. scored 2 TDs

Pitt kicked 3 for 9 pts. scored 4 TDs.

which is better to you?