Rich Cimini Chat Transcript

Maxman

No offense, but that chat was awful. It's noone's fault here at JN. It's just that cimini seemed to be unprepared and did not have much information. Guys, keep in mind Rich Cimini is a journalist, not a football scout. I wouldn't take his evaluations with much seriousness.

Well Rich was nice enough to do this for us especially when you consider:

1. There is not a ton of Jet news being released

2. That he only attended one day of MiniCamp

3. I am not certain that he is covering the Jets full time anymore

He told me this beforehand and I still asked him to do it because he has a pretty good perspective on things. People are on him for being hard on the Jets. You know what, he is usually right.

Last year he called the Bollinger thing. If it comes down to Bollinger the season is over he said. That was in response to a 3rd string QB question.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, he was nice enough to come.

However, he presents his judgements as they are fact, and the only fact is he's a journalist not a scout.

Come on, my 6 month old daughter could have called the Bollinger thing. For starters, it's very rare any team goes anywhere with QB #3. Secondly, keep in mind he was really QB #4. Lastly, he just plain stinks and really did/does not belong in the NFL.

This isn't just a knock on Cimini, but I can't stand journalists who, instead of saying, "I do not know" when they do not know, try to come up with an answer. Cimini does this all the time, as do many of his collegues.

I feel for him that he actually has to be a journalist this year and isn't going to have the information spoon fed to him. I really do.

Well Rich was nice enough to do this for us especially when you consider:

1. There is not a ton of Jet news being released

2. That he only attended one day of MiniCamp

3. I am not certain that he is covering the Jets full time anymore

He told me this beforehand and I still asked him to do it because he has a pretty good perspective on things. People are on him for being hard on the Jets. You know what, he is usually right.

Last year he called the Bollinger thing. If it comes down to Bollinger the season is over he said. That was in response to a 3rd string QB question.

I agree, he was nice enough to come.

However, he presents his judgements as they are fact, and the only fact is he's a journalist not a scout.

Come on, my 6 month old daughter could have called the Bollinger thing. For starters, it's very rare any team goes anywhere with QB #3. Secondly, keep in mind he was really QB #4. Lastly, he just plain stinks and really did/does not belong in the NFL.

This isn't just a knock on Cimini, but I can't stand journalists who, instead of saying, "I do not know" when they do not know, try to come up with an answer. Cimini does this all the time, as do many of his collegues.

I feel for him that he actually has to be a journalist this year and isn't going to have the information spoon fed to him. I really do.

Bollinger was the # 3 QB. Vinny was # 4. The fact that Herm switched them is more of a knock on the staff. If they had no faith in Bolly he shouldn't have been on the roster. Which is what we all knew anyhow.

Rich presenting his judgements as fact is exactly what we are asking of him though. We do that with all of our chats and I think it is what makes it more interesting. Taking a stance, time will prove it right or wrong. We did the same thing with R44 and Bitonti from draftdaddy.com when they were here.

Honestly and not to knock other websites...I think Rich having covered a team is going to be the most likely "expert" that we will have access to. I hear you about him not being a scout. So yes, these are all just opinions. But that is what makes the internet go round and round!

Speculation is all we have in the offseason. :cheers:

All you can ask is someone to give their views and opinion - how can you knock someone for that- Rich gave his opinions - you can agree or disagree but at least he takes a stand instead of being wishy- washy

that was a GREAT chat guys . big thank you to rich cimini!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love his jetnation style humor & candor. I fear his comments are very close to the truth though. I see mangini having a very tough go of it this season. We just don't have the talent to bounce from 4-3 to 3-4. teague's injury hurts oline depth. but we got culture:) :)

note to mr turfing. You need to read tx's posts more carefully during the season. He has great insight & is on point when it matters. He doesn't always bash the jets when serious threads are happening during the season. Reality bites & tx can be counted on for an honest opinion.

Just read the transcript.....great job. I agree that Rich is not a scout, and what he said isn't meant to be taken as gospel. But as Max said....Isn't that the whole point of posting and chats? For people to post thoughts and opinions...and discuss them with other people??

Chad in 06-07

Cimini shocked me last year with his pre-season prognostication about the Jets when he said (something like)"they won't have to worry about losing in the championship game this year because they won't even MAKE the playoffs".I think he predicted 6-10.That after coming a missed FG from losing to NE..

Cimini shocked me last year with his pre-season prognostication about the Jets when he said (something like)"they won't have to worry about losing in the championship game this year because they won't even MAKE the playoffs".I think he predicted 6-10.That after coming a missed FG from losing to NE..

jets are in deep ****. 6-10 is the best we can hope for. no RB. no QB. no #1 WR. a D-line that will have a tough time getting to the qb. suspect secondary. inexperienced o-line. it's gonna be a long haul, anyone who doesn't prepare for that mentally is in for a rough time. could we shock the world and make the playoffs? of course, that's why they play the games. but you could also draw an ace hitting on 20 at the blackjack table but that doesn't mean it's likely. odds of us making the playoffs are probably 35-1, not impossible but virtually so. mangini isn't a moron, he knows this and is working toward the future (hence the drafting of d'brick and mangold instead of something "sexy" and not running after any high priced free agents). i've stated multiple times, if we make the playoffs i'll **** my pants with joy but i won't consider the season a failure if we don't. a failure this season is a team that fails to improve week to week, a team that fails to build chemistry and cohesiveness and a team that gives up when facing adversity. if none of those occur, mangini had as much success as we could realistically hope for this year.

jets are in deep ****. 6-10 is the best we can hope for. no RB. no QB. no #1 WR. a D-line that will have a tough time getting to the qb. suspect secondary. inexperienced o-line. it's gonna be a long haul, anyone who doesn't prepare for that mentally is in for a rough time. could we shock the world and make the playoffs? of course, that's why they play the games. but you could also draw an ace hitting on 20 at the blackjack table but that doesn't mean it's likely. odds of us making the playoffs are probably 35-1, not impossible but virtually so. mangini isn't a moron, he knows this and is working toward the future (hence the drafting of d'brick and mangold instead of something "sexy" and not running after any high priced free agents). i've stated multiple times, if we make the playoffs i'll **** my pants with joy but i won't consider the season a failure if we don't. a failure this season is a team that fails to improve week to week, a team that fails to build chemistry and cohesiveness and a team that gives up when facing adversity. if none of those occur, mangini had as much success as we could realistically hope for this year.

you said it well Johnny-I guess we have to be realists but like you said anything can happen.I am not calling for another 12-4 like I did last year but I expect to compete every week and hopefully steal a couple of wins and who knows,maybe with a little luck and some Jets luck for our rivals...ya never know...

hopefully steal a couple of wins

I'm counting on that SFJ - I think we have a six win squad in terms of talent/experience. I'm hoping for a couple wins from brains - something that hasn't been in abundance since Tuna Time. That could land us at .500 which would be very acceptable in my book.

this isn't the NBA or MLB this is the NFL - any team can beat any other team - the differences between the teams talent wise is in general pretty small - it's a game of momentum and it's a game of emotion and mentality - basically anything can happen - they have a last place schedule - if they stay healthy at key positions and get decent play out of the QB (whoever that may be) they can beat anyone. :box:

this isn't the NBA or MLB this is the NFL - any team can beat any other team - the differences between the teams talent wise is in general pretty small - it's a game of momentum and it's a game of emotion and mentality - basically anything can happen - they have a last place schedule - if they stay healthy at key positions and get decent play out of the QB (whoever that may be) they can beat anyone. :box:

not only that, but altho the jets have no permission to win this year, last year was a complete anomaly train wreck.

This year has to be better, by simple virtue of being healthier, and better coached.

There's no way we're not competitive in the majority of our games. That doesn't mean we'll be 11-5, even 9-7.

It just means we'll be fun to watch, and most of all, competitive. It won't be like last year, watching Bollinger futilely try to jump higher than himself.

Well TX I don't know what a dewbag is, but that is how you back up facts. Those are great examples of why the Jets aren't a great team. It's about time you've shown you know how write an arguement with supportive facts. So that's move on to the matter of why are you here? You must love the Jets and the fans here so much more then your own team and fans. You are the the biggest closet Jets fan I have ever met. Oh, and people that like a team regardless of how the team actually performs. They are called fans. So when the Pats start losing alot like they use to, don't hurt yourself jumping of the bus.

Sorry I missed this one.... I wanted to "quasi" call Cimini out on Pouha..... remember he said Pouha moves like an old lady, and to forget about him? In one of his recent articles, he was somewhere between luke warm and slightly positive on him. Called him "explosive at the point of attack". I had planned to be on.... oh well.

Sorry I missed this one.... I wanted to "quasi" call Cimini out on Pouha..... remember he said Pouha moves like an old lady, and to forget about him? In one of his recent articles, he was somewhere between luke warm and slightly positive on him. Called him "explosive at the point of attack". I had planned to be on.... oh well.

I remember that one. Someone said something like he's 27 & Rich said he plays like he's 47. Even if Pouha shows something that was missing under Herm, it was still funny as hell.

they have a last place schedule - if they stay healthy at key positions and get decent play out of the QB (whoever that may be) they can beat anyone.

bit, that comment is as ludicrous as you thinking DFat will eventually be a Pro Bowler.:eek:

The Jets have the exact same schedule as the Pats with the exception of two friggn' games. Please explain to me how that is some kind of huge advantage?

Also, there is no way in hell the Jets could beat the elite teams (Pats, Colts, Broncos, Steelers) in the AFC regardless of the play of the QB.

The talent level between those 4 teams and the Jets is friggn' huge.

yea Tex I didn't look at the schedule to see if there IS a dispute about the two game difference but remember that could be the difference between 8-8 and 10-6

i think you meant it could be the difference between 2-14 and 4-12. 8 wins??? are you kidding me?? there's gonna be a lot of disapointment around here around october.

Maybe not anyone, but most folks around.

Hey, we don't exactly have the roughest schedule coming up.

couldn't disagree more. the jets have one marquee veteran-- vilma, and he will likely struggle in the new 3-4 scheme. we have no offensive playmakers, not a one. martin? give me a break, do you ever expect him to break a tackle? get serious. coles? anyone who says he's a marquee player is ridiculous. pennington-- hell even when he had a marquee season he wasn't a marquee player as the raiders playoff game proved.

people who think we can "beat anyone" and are predicting 8-8, 9-7 and whatever need to put up and list just who they think we're going to get these wins against. unless i missed something, we only play the bills twice and they'll probably beat us in buffalo anyways.

couldn't disagree more. the jets have one marquee veteran-- vilma, and he will likely struggle in the new 3-4 scheme. we have no offensive playmakers, not a one. martin? give me a break, do you ever expect him to break a tackle? get serious. coles? anyone who says he's a marquee player is ridiculous. pennington-- hell even when he had a marquee season he wasn't a marquee player as the raiders playoff game proved.

people who think we can "beat anyone" and are predicting 8-8, 9-7 and whatever need to put up and list just who they think we're going to get these wins against. unless i missed something, we only play the bills twice and they'll probably beat us in buffalo anyways.

another friggin doom and gloomer has written...when we're on a roll this year I'm gonna be the one saying I told you so to a LOT of supposed Jets fans on these boards

another friggin doom and gloomer has written...when we're on a roll this year I'm gonna be the one saying I told you so to a LOT of supposed Jets fans on these boards

Me too. I think we can make the playoffs this year and until we're mathematically eliminated I won't believe that we can't. All we need is to catch a few good breaks, steal a couple of wins and hope that we sneak into the playoffs. From there, like Pitt proved, anything is possible (especially when you have the refs in your pockets;) ).

Archived