Jets | Not all players enjoy working for Mangini

FoxJet

Sun, 3 Sep 2006 07:40:40 -0700

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports not all the New York Jets players are happy playing for new head coach Eric Mangini. He came to town with a well-formed plan for how to build a winning NFL operation, which included a tough training camp, a multitude of rules and a template for what he wanted from his players, all of which have left some veterans in foul moods as the new season approaches. If the Jets start out slow, it's going to get ugly," said a person familiar with players on the roster. "The word is they don't like playing for this guy." "Any coach, you're going to respect," said one player who requested anonymity. "He's your head coach. He was brought here for a reason. You've got to respect him. But certain things aren't necessary to gain that respect. It's not necessary to punish people." There are also the Mangini rules, and the fines for violating those rules. Players can be docked for missing media sessions but also for talking with reporters "after hours." Being deemed critical of teammates or coaches can also carry fines that have prompted several players to decline to answer even positive questions about teammates. In general, many players have commented about the grinding nature of training camp. Even though there were only six two-a-day sessions, practices averaged 2 hours, 23 minutes and left those players with dead legs.

Jets | Trading Coles looks like speculation

Sun, 3 Sep 2006 07:09:53 -0700

Mark Cannizzaro, of the New York Post, reports New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini shot down speculation the team was looking to trade WR Laveranues Coles. "Laveranues is a member of the New York Jets. I have said several times all the things I like about Laveranues and his toughness, which he shows week in and week out, his ability to catch ball in traffic, the things he does in running game," said Mangini Saturday, Sept. 2.

Jets | Deal for Branch dead in their eyes?

Sun, 3 Sep 2006 07:08:46 -0700

Mark Cannizzaro, of the New York Post, reports highly placed New York Jets' sources have told The Post that the WR Deion Branch trade with the New England Patriots is "dead" mostly because the Patriots are asking for way too much, at least a first-round draft pick. "He's under contract with another club and I respect their privacy and his privacy," head coach Eric Mangini said. "That's a matter for them to work out. I'm focused on the guys we have."

:Typotux:::GoJets::cool:

Any player who doesn't like it -- well that is just too damn bad. This franchise has not won in 40 years. We are all sick of it. You are getting paid a lot of money and they are holding people accountable. We tried the alternative. It did not work.

Any player who doesn't like it -- well that is just too damn bad. This franchise has not won in 40 years. We are all sick of it. You are getting paid a lot of money and they are holding people accountable. We tried the alternative. It did not work.

or ask for a trade-I'm pretty sure Mangini will oblige

I'll bet you the team would REALLY like to know who Lange's source on this one is

Tuff Tiddy indeed... The BBQ is taking place in Kansas City. We'll see how that pans out there, it didn't bring any rings here. I'm sure most of the players don't appreciate 100% of the new way of doing business. I'm anxious to see what it does here as I believe the principles work.

this is the herm residue left over from 5 years of the buddy system..I expected it..and I also expect mangini to clean house of any trouble makers should a mutiny arise..

this is the herm residue left over from 5 years of the buddy system..I expected it..and I also expect mangini to clean house of any trouble makers should a mutiny arise..

they have been in the process of what I like to call the Herm Purge-there ain't a lot of HIS guys left...

**** them. The free ride is over.

I guarantee Mangini has a very good idea who this blurb is talking about and they will NOT be back next season.

One of the most important things for this new regime is to weed out the pussies, complainers, and crybabies. Lord knows Edwards left a team chock-full of them.

they have been in the process of what I like to call the Herm Purge-there ain't a lot of HIS guys left...

yeah..but..If things have to get worse before they get better..mangini will jetison unhappy grumpy players in a heartbeat..

but enough with the f*ckin whining from the players..they are all millionaires..and the Jets sucked last year..what did they expect???

a country club like herm ran??

What kind of bull**** is this? It's wrong to punish players?

Newsflash, you a$$holes went 4-12 last year!! Every one of you should be punished!!

Exactly. No one cares what veterans on a 4-12 team think. All this BS "street cred/respect" nonsense is complete stupidity. Ifr that's what you crave you should've taken up basketball.

Sun, 3 Sep 2006 07:40:40 -0700

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports not all the New York Jets players are happy playing for new head coach Eric Mangini. He came to town with a well-formed plan for how to build a winning NFL operation, which included a tough training camp, a multitude of rules and a template for what he wanted from his players, all of which have left some veterans in foul moods as the new season approaches. If the Jets start out slow, it's going to get ugly," said a person familiar with players on the roster.

Mawae??? I have no doubt.

LOL...these guys never reveal their sources.

True but can anyone say that the motive behind this article isn't a

backlash from a reporter who hasn't been given access to the Jets

that he had for the previous five years. And if the players are so afraid

of Mangini that they won't even talk about their teamates in a postive

light risk going to this one reporter on a condition of anonymity.

Did that player think that lange was going to the police and have a swat

team come in and save them?? Mangini isn't going to change and they

better get used to it. Don't like it ask to be traded.

Now I like Lange. he is one of the better beat writers. But there are

ways to ask him questions that can make him very uneasy.

"The word is they don't like playing for this guy." "Any coach, you're going to respect," said one player who requested anonymity. "He's your head coach. He was brought here for a reason. You've got to respect him. But certain things aren't necessary to gain that respect. It's not necessary to punish people."

It's not necessary to punish people? So on the other hand, is it necessary to reward people?

Eric Mangini is the type of no-nonsense coach the Jets desparately needed, after this franchise has gotten into such a loser mentality, here's a guy who's smart, tough, and has a plan to make the Jets winners. It may not be this year, or even next year, but we're heading in the right direction, after all those lollygagging herm edwards years..

Any player who has a problem with that should be shipped, just like that seahawks coach got rid of all the guys that laughed when he said 'we're here to win a super bowl' the first year of the hawks' franchise.

If the players think Mangini's too tough, they should shut up, and suck it up, and maybe start listening to what the man has to say.. they're making millions of dollars and have a job that most people will kill to have.. it's about time they stopped complaining and started playing for real.. The fans are sick of this nonsense!

• 2 months later...
So Mawae, do the players still hate Mangini?[/quote

Judging by Coles comments after the game yesterday, I think the players have bought into Mangini's system, and the hard work.

Coles has been Mangini's biggest in house critic.

To paraphrase, he said that the players played a lil harder because Lil Bill had dissed their coach.

Archived