And Coach of the Year goes to...

Jetlag

Sean Payton. What a farce. Granted he took the Saints to the playoffs this year but he had a ton of talent plus the fact that he got 10 wins in the NFC as opposed to Mangini coaching in the superior conference and mirroring Payton's win column.

The whole Katrina thing is bullsh*t. Why didn't Herm win COTY in 2001? I mean if they're going to start handing out awards for being in a city that suffered a disaster.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2722296

I have no problem with payton winning this & don't think much to individual awards anyway.

I can't think of another coach in the nfl I'd rather have coaching the jets than eric mangini. He has shown brilliance thus far. He is all about the team, not the individuals. sitting blaylock & barlow was balsy & it paid off.

I'm happy for the saints & happier for the jets

I have no problem with payton winning this & don't think much to individual awards anyway.

I can't think of another coach in the nfl I'd rather have coaching the jets than eric mangini. He has shown brilliance thus far. He is all about the team, not the individuals. sitting blaylock & barlow was balsy & it paid off.

This is a TEAM game now with Jets we dont want stars like JAbe

depth and competition will make Jets successful

The Saints have an sh*tload of talent especially on the offensive side of the ball. Jets have an undersized offensive and defensive line, no backfield and the quarterback is coming off back to back torn rotator cuff surgeries.

Mangini should have won it.

One thing though, sitting Blaylock and Barlow isn't exactly a genius move. Anyone can see those guys are scrubs.

Exactly! Let Payton have the award, I would much rather have Mangini in the long run. I think the award is well deserved by Payton, it would have been if Mangini had won it as well. I really think it could have come down to a coin flip between these two guys.

The only reason he won by so much is because of Katrina, they had to be PC and give it to Sean Payton. :yawn:

Mangini is a better coach, so who really cares. But 3 facking votes to 44 is bullsh#t.

I could have lived with Payton squeaking this one out, because he did inherit a 3-13 team, and they did go 10-6, he's a very good coach too. But its way too lopsided of a vote in his favor, complete BS.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9912076

Sean Payton named AP Coach of the Year 817-grey.gifstories;arena=nfl;feat=stories;type=psa;user=Anonymous;cust=no;vip=no;sz=150x30;tile=5;ord=953061168106558?

NFL.com wire reports

send-over.gif

(Jan. 7, 2007) -- Sean Payton might have had the toughest coaching job in football this season, making his selection as The Associated Press NFL Coach of the Year that much more impressive.

Payton, in his first year as a head coach, didn't just lead the New Orleans Saints to a 10-6 record, the NFC South championship and a first-round playoff bye. He helped revitalize a battered city's spirit.

With New Orleans ravaged by Hurricane Katrina in late August 2005, the Saints became nomads that year, winding up 3-13 under Jim Haslett. Payton, an assistant coach in Dallas, was hired to revive one of the NFL's historically unsuccessful franchises.

Payton and his team gave the city -- indeed, the entire Gulf Coast -- something it desperately needed: a reason to smile.

And hopes for the Saints' first Super Bowl appearance.

"It's just been the right mix of guys who believe in each other," said Payton, who ran away in the balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL. "Players putting the team ahead of everything else. I think that's the biggest thing that we've been able to do to date. That's what's most important. That's what we were looking for in the offseason: character, toughness, those are things you win with."

Payton received 44 votes in a season when there were a half-dozen outstanding coaching performances. Eric Mangini of the New York Jets, another first-year head coach, got three votes, while San Diego's Marty Schottenheimer, the 2004 winner, received two. Jeff Fisher of Tennessee got one.

"I'm honored and somewhat humbled. This is a time in our league right now where there are probably seven or eight Hall of Fame coaches currently coaching in our league," Payton said after learning of the award. "I still have tags hanging out of my Reebok gear on the sidelines."

Payton became the third Saints coach to win the award, joining Haslett (2000) and Jim Mora (1987). Last year's winner was Chicago's Lovie Smith.

No coach ever was faced with rebuilding a roster while his community was recovering from such devastation. Football might seem trivial under such circumstances, but Payton and his players understood how uplifting their success could be to those struggling to put together their lives again.

"You have to trust your gut a lot and follow your heart," Payton said. "There certainly were going to be some challenges coming into this region at this time. But I think the city is very committed to this team and it's really an amazing fan base we have, not just in New Orleans, but in this whole Gulf South area. And I'm excited we can provide a little juice for these people during the course of the week, get them excited about football."

Payton began with a tough training camp of two-a-day practices in the heat of Jackson, Miss. Many players called it one of the most demanding camps.

"He wanted to put his foot on the ground and establish that this was a new beginning," veteran wide receiver Joe Horn said. "In our profession, football, you don't start a new beginning by coming in and making it easy. It has to be hard.

"Fortunately for us we won football games. It worked out well."

So well that the Saints had their best regular season since 2000 thanks to a potent offense and strong special teams and a defense that improved markedly over last season.

Give Payton credit for those units, too. He signed free-agent quarterback Drew Brees even though Breed was coming off delicate surgery on his throwing shoulder. Brees responded with a Pro Bowl season.

Payton lucked out when Reggie Bush was bypassed at the top of the draft by Houston, and he was a dynamic rookie as a runner, receiver and punt returner.

Even more dynamic was seventh-round pick Marques Colston, a receiver from Hofstra who had a questionable work ethic and concentration lapses in college. Under Payton's guidance, Colston became an elite rookie.

Payton wisely alternated running back Deuce McAllister, coming off a serious knee injury, with Bush, and McAllister finished with 1,057 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns.

"We have a great head coach in Sean Payton, and his system," " Brees said. "I think we all believe in it, and I think it suits us all very well. I think we take a lot of pride in it."

I don't know how anyone can have a problem with Payton winning this award. At best, Mangini was just as deserving but I'm really not seeing it. Payton took over a team that was flat out horrible last year and didn't even have a home to boot. On top of that, there were rumors floating around that they were moving. To compare them to the 2001 Jets is ridiculous. For starters, 911 effected alot of people but it in no way completely forced the Jets out of their own city. More importantly, Herm's Jets finished 3rd. in their division. You can't play the no talent card because Mangini just as easily could have went out this offseason and picked up some players but he chose to go after the likes of Ramsey instead of Brees. Besides, if you want to play the no talent card, I demand that the NFL hand over three COTY awards to Belichick for the work he did with those three super bowl teams who according to any Jets fan had absolutely no talent.

I don't disagree with Payton as a choice, but yeah, 3 votes is a joke.

If N.O. makes the SB and the media continues to ram this Katrina s*** at us, I'm gonna puke.......again.

Why? When 911 happened, all they did was ram $hit down our throat about how fitting it was that the Patriots win a Super Bowl. I heard no complaints then other than the Patriots winning of course.

I don't disagree with Payton as a choice, but yeah, 3 votes is a joke.

If N.O. makes the SB and the media continues to ram this Katrina s*** at us, I'm gonna puke.......again.

Dude, imagine LIVING here.

I thought Saints fans were annoying whenever they were losing 10 games every year. I really prefer that as opposed to hearing 20 drunk idiots shouting "Whodat!" in my ear every weekend at the bar. And breaking into maddening cheers every time Reggie Bush touches the football and gains two yards.

Dude, imagine LIVING here.

I thought Saints fans were annoying whenever they were losing 10 games every year. I really prefer that as opposed to hearing 20 drunk idiots shouting "Whodat!" in my ear every weekend at the bar. And breaking into maddening cheers every time Reggie Bush touches the football and gains two yards.

There are 'AINTS FANS?

I thought college ball was all people cared about down there.

My cousin lives in Georgia and the Falcons are a mere blip on the radar.

There are 'AINTS FANS?

I thought college ball was all people cared about down there.

My cousin lives in Georgia and the Falcons are a mere blip on the radar.

Saints fans are in full force nowadays.

Used to be about 5 a week at the sports bar. Now, it is packed with them. I just don't get that. You can watch the game at your ****ing house. Is eating ****ty food and bothering me really that important to you?

Saints fans are in full force nowadays.

Used to be about 5 a week at the sports bar. Now, it is packed with them. I just don't get that. You can watch the game at your ****ing house. Is eating ****ty food and bothering me really that important to you?

I always thought the same thing.

Comfort of your couch or the confines of a ****ty bar?

Bar in my town is littered with transplants.

Mangini was a great coach, and in most other years would have been coach of the year for what he did with your Jets. But Payton turned around a franchise. You guys have been saying that he doesn't deserve it because of all the talent he had; he brought in the talent to that team. He brought 29 new players in, including a franchise QB and 2 rookie of the year candidates. He built the talent on that team. And even if it was the same team as last year, then you could say the only difference between last years futility and this years success has been the coaching. I certainly understand why all of you think Mangini deserved the honor, and I don't disagree. I just wanted to give you an unbiased view from an outsider as to why Payton won over Mangini.

And I would have thought it would be a lot closer than it was. It certainly was close in my mind.

Good luck with the Pats this weekend, I hope Mangini embarasses Belicheck again.

Why? When 911 happened, all they did was ram $hit down our throat about how fitting it was that the Patriots win a Super Bowl. I heard no complaints then other than the Patriots winning of course.

So you admit that it was a feel good 'fix' (*cough* tuck). Very well then.

Too bad Mangini didnt win it, but the Saints did win their division, were 3-1 against playoff teams. And that whole Katrina thing....

"Payton and his team gave the city -- indeed, the entire Gulf Coast -- something it desperately needed: a reason to smile. "

Ugh... I want to puke. This is a reason why he won it? He gave them a reason to smile....

Wow...

He brought a team with less wins than we had last year, to more wins than we got this year and a division title... all in a city ravaged by a hurricane...

I like Herm but its very obvious why he didnt beat out Payton...

Archived