Other than SuperBowl, whats your coolest Jet memory?

SouthernJet

I would say the Miami Monday night comeback ranks up there.

Also one that many may forget is the last game in 1981 season vs Green Bay. We had to win to get into playoffs, and by beating GB we would also back the Giants into the playoffs. The Pack needed to win to get in also. The Giants played Saturday and they actually showed up at Shea and stood behing Jet bench rooting them on. There was a HUGE snowstorm that morning and the stdium was not full but those who made it thru 2 ft snowstorm were loud and feeling no pain.

Jets won 28-3.

1991,my first year down in South Florida,we played Miami at Joe Robbie the last game of the season.The winner got the finall wildcard at 8-8,the loser went home.

I was at the game.

Bruce Coslett had picked up Raul Allegre the week before,I think he was bartending or something..lol

Big day by Johnny Hector.Big INT by Bobby Houston I beleive.We tied it up on a Raul Allegre FG with no time left in the 4th.The kick looked like it was in slow-mo.

Then again in OT.Raul Allegre.Right threw the uprights.Bruce Coslett joked later Raul was sipping a martini on the sidelines before the kick.Awesome.

Of course we got bounced next week by the Oilers,who mounted a devestating Goalline stand against us.

Of course the MOnday Miracle and John Hall 54 yarder to beat Oakland and catapult us into the tournament.

Lets not talk about the Monday night Miracle game please . I turned the TV off out of anger then went to bed to find out the next morning that we won the game and I miss the Greatest Jets come back of all time . I Wanted to shoot myself . But besides that game It would have to be the Game when we beat the piss out of peyton and his boys 41-0 man that was great and in their house too.

Lets not talk about the Monday night Miracle game please . I turned the TV off out of anger then went to bed to find out the next morning that we won the game and I miss the Greatest Jets come back of all time . I Wanted to shoot myself . But besides that game It would have to be the Game when we beat the piss out of peyton and his boys 41-0 man that was great and in their house too.

so the monday night miracle was you least favorite jets memory? now that sums up jets fans history of bad luck-- your team pulls off a miracle upset and you can't even remember it fondly.

Watching Tony Meola kick in a Jets uniform in person.

Oh..sorry i thought this thread was "unintentionallty funny jets moments"

I'd go with either the 02 Jets-Packers for the sheer asskicking we gave the Packers, the 02 Jets-Colts playoff, and of course, the Midnight Miracle.

so the monday night miracle was you least favorite jets memory? now that sums up jets fans history of bad luck-- your team pulls off a miracle upset and you can't even remember it fondly.
????? the thread is called the coolest jet memory and it would have been that game ,but I missed it .

Ps thanks joe your right it was in the MedowsLands

????? the thread is called the coolest jet memory and it would have been that game ,but I missed it .

Ps thanks joe your right it was in the MedowsLands

you said "Lets not talk about the Monday night Miracle game please . I turned the TV off out of anger then went to bed to find out the next morning that we won the game and I miss the Greatest Jets come back of all time . I Wanted to shoot myself." sounds like a pretty ****ty memory to me!

you said "Lets not talk about the Monday night Miracle game please . I turned the TV off out of anger then went to bed to find out the next morning that we won the game and I miss the Greatest Jets come back of all time . I Wanted to shoot myself." sounds like a pretty ****ty memory to me!
Yeah for shutting the TV off and going to bed and missing the jets comeback ,c'mon guy I'm a die hard jet fan lol:)

I DID watch SB111-other than that-I loved the 83 (?) playoff game against Cincy-the Green Bay game of '02 (right?) with the Pats-Fins game being shown in the stands

Yes the playoff game where Freeman McNiel went boonkers to the tune of over 206 yards.

The greenbay game was great too...

halftime of the 98 DEN game. I really believed we were going to the SB. I did a drunken cartwheel across my living room.

Yeah, that was great.

We were up by 10 I think.

The Monday Night Miami game has got to be right up there.

Jumbo's catch!!!!

Man, talk about feeling great after that game.

And the 41-0 Colt game.

Beauty.

another one that might rank higher in years to come is this years beating of pats.

it showed that in erics 1st year he was able to be competitive. imagine when he has a few years under his belt.

and....look what he did considering WHO he had to work with...Herman Edwards players mostly-I can't WAIT to see what he does when he gets more Mangini players

I also have to add to the list Joe Namath's greatest game I ever saw him play which was that shootout down in old Baltimore's Memorial Stadium (is that right SJ?) against the Colts and Johnny Unitas-I'll never forget it and wish we could find an article about that game. I think he was 15-23 496 yards and 6 TDs...

For me:

1.Playoff against Jacksonville 98- The first time that I had gone with no doubt we would win.

2. Monday Night Miracle- Specifically Jumbo Elliot's TD catch. I still cant believe he caught it.

3. Packers 02- Was such a wonderful day. Listening to the Pats game in the parking lot and then paying more attention to the guy behind me with a radio... It was the most enjoyable game fromt start to finish.

4. Seattle 98- Vinny Testaverde sneak for a "TD" First time I really felt we got away with one and really made me believe it was our year.

And honorable mention to November 7, 1993. Miami at Jets. Jets win 27-10 to keep Don Shula from breaking George Halas all time wins for a head coach. I remember wanting to win so badly that we wouldnt end up in the recordbooks as the team. Who knew that the next year we would have the fake spike... since then I have hated the Dolphins and wish nothing but the worst on them.

i'm only 20 so i only have recent memories. i've been going to Jets games since 96 and have had season tickets since 02.

anyway #1 for me was the Monday Night Miracle. i remember specifically saying to my dad "why do they always lose every game we come to?" at some point in the 3rd quarter. then Vinny just went insane in the 4th and we come back to tie then game...and then give up like a 50 yard td pass and then we tie it again and eventually win in OT.

#2. the last game of the 02 season vs Green Bay

#3. 41-0 win in the wildcard round vs the Colts. i hate the Colts more than any team in the league and up to that point i had been to 4 or 5 Jets-Colts games and the Colts won every time.

I would say the Miami Monday night comeback ranks up there.

Also one that many may forget is the last game in 1981 season vs Green Bay. We had to win to get into playoffs, and by beating GB we would also back the Giants into the playoffs. The Pack needed to win to get in also. The Giants played Saturday and they actually showed up at Shea and stood behing Jet bench rooting them on. There was a HUGE snowstorm that morning and the stdium was not full but those who made it thru 2 ft snowstorm were loud and feeling no pain.

Jets won 28-3.

I was at that game..I froze my ass off..but..it was worth it..they had these little heaters way up in the corners of the bathrooms at Shea..you would just see a sea of hands reach upwards..Lam Jones caught a bomb from Todd for a TD in that one..

I also have to add to the list Joe Namath's greatest game I ever saw him play which was that shootout down in old Baltimore's Memorial Stadium (is that right SJ?) against the Colts and Johnny Unitas-I'll never forget it and wish we could find an article about that game. I think he was 15-23 496 yards and 6 TDs...

Classic game my friend, Joe Mamath was actually 15 for 28 still a wonderful performance. Boy what a shoot out that was, if im not mistaken they threw for a combined 872 yards aswell.

Classic game my friend, Joe Mamath was actually 15 for 28 still a wonderful performance. Boy what a shoot out that was, if im not mistaken they threw for a combined 872 yards aswell.

yea Johnny U threw 4 TDs I think it might have been 376 yards-can you imagine 15 completeions for 496 yards? That's like what...32 yards a reception?

yea Johnny U threw 4 TDs I think it might have been 376 yards-can you imagine 15 completeions for 496 yards? That's like what...32 yards a reception?

I was only 5 years old when the Jets played in Super Bowl III, so I can't say that was my favorite memory.

However, my favorite memory happened 2 years later, at the first Jet game I ever attended... November 28, 1971. I was 7 years old and my dad comes home that Saturday and surprises me with 2 tickets to the game ... Week 11, Jets vs Niners at Shea.

While the Jets were not having a great season (I think they were something like 3-7 going into the game), all of New York was abuzz for one reason only. The possible return of Joe Namath, who injured his knee in the first exhibition game that year and missed the entire season up until that point.

It was a very cold, blustery and windy day.

But the game would be special, as in the 2nd quarter, Bob Davis, the Jets starting QB for that game injured his ankle while scrambling. As they carried Davis off the field, the sellout crowd of 65,000 all rose in unison as "Broadway Joe" peeled off the green Jets jacket, and the familar #12 jogged lightly out onto to the field. The place went absolutely biserk. I still remember the rumbling feeling of the stadium, the place shook unbelievably.

Namath, who had been on the sidelines for 19 straight regular season games, with the Jets already down 24-0, rallied the Jets, throwing for 358 yards and 3 TD's, with a shot to win in the last minute, but the Niner D picked him off in the end zone in the final minute to escape with a 24-21 victory.

While the Jets did not win the game, "Broadway Joe" showed why he is the most beloved figure and greatest player in team history, as the sellout crowd, all of which remained to the final gun, gave him a standing ovation as he walked off the field in a "losing" effort.

The following year I attended Namath's football camp in Massachusetts. At 8 years old, I was the youngest kid at his camp that year, and at one of the practices he personally chose me to be one of 3 ballboys for the week. Each morning at 6am, Namath would conduct a workout with the other pro receivers who helped at the camp, and as a ballboy, I was allowed on the field to chase down footballs from the receivers a run them back to Joe. It was an unbelievable experience, as I got to meet the likes of Bob Tucker, Fred Biletnikoff, Paul Warfield and Randy Vataha. I also got to spend a good amount of time with Namath himself, even had lunch with him a few times, which was just awesome. Even at the height of his popularity, he was everything you expected a sports hero to be.

Years later, I met Namath again at an autograph show, and told him the first game I ever attended was that 1971 game and showed him some polaroids I still had from my summer at his camp. I told him what a tremendous experience it was for me, one of the best childhood memories I had. He was very gracious, talked to me for about a half hour, signed every article I had for nothing, took a picture with me and my son, and gave me a big hug afterwards upon saying "goodbye".

Since that day, as a season ticket holder, I've been to many Jet games ...

Jets vs Bills 1981 playoff game ...

Jets vs Dolphins 1981 (Todd to Barkum in the final seconds) ...

Jets vs Dolphins 1986 51-45

Jets vs Jags 1998 Playoff game

Jets vs Packers 2002 Final Game

But none of these games rivals the incredible energy that was in the stands on that day in 1971. It remains the most exciting game I've ever attended.

And no player has ever come close to matching the excitement, charisma, style, and pure class of Joe Namath ... at least for me.

PS. If you haven't seen the "CenterStage" interview on YES with Namath, catch it. It's more evidence of just how down to earth this guy is.

I really wish there was some way I could find some actual newspaper stories from that September 24th 1972 game against Baltimore-if anybody can find something I'd really appreciate it-I wish I still had my Jets scrapbook from back then-I would cut out articles and pics from every game from 1968 up to 1973-Daily News The Daily Journal, The Post and The Star Ledger

Archived