Anyone read about Herm

Maxman

sticking up for the retired NFL players? Saying the league needs to do the right thing and take care of these guys.

I know everyone likes to blast Herm. But he is RIGHT. This has been a hot topic of late and the NFL needs to make some sort of show of good faith.

I thought it was cool of Herm to speak out about it though.

A broken clock is correct twice a day. Edwards, half that.

On this, it's the truth. With all the money and as physical a game as the NFL, they should get a soup-to-nuts health car package and it should vest much sooner than it does now(which I think is 3 seasons on an NFL roster).

As far as pensions, if someone is documented as disabled, the NFl should support them, and generously. But most of these guys are out of football by 30. If they didn't plow their cash into retirement funds and/or plan for a 2nd career, I don't have a whole bunch of sympathy. To their credit, I think most of these guys have done that.

sticking up for the retired NFL players? Saying the league needs to do the right thing and take care of these guys.

I know everyone likes to blast Herm. But he is RIGHT. This has been a hot topic of late and the NFL needs to make some sort of show of good faith.

I thought it was cool of Herm to speak out about it though.

Of course I read about Herm.

Didn't you know this is half ChiefsNation?

It's not the guys that had long careers that need to be taken care of, it's the ones who ended up having their career cut short via injury. These guys can't get insurance without paying an arm and a leg, and they likely hadn't earned enough to cover themselves.

A broken clock is correct twice a day. Edwards, half that.

On this, it's the truth. With all the money and as physical a game as the NFL, they should get a soup-to-nuts health car package and it should vest much sooner than it does now(which I think is 3 seasons on an NFL roster).

As far as pensions, if someone is documented as disabled, the NFl should support them, and generously. But most of these guys are out of football by 30. If they didn't plow their cash into retirement funds and/or plan for a 2nd career, I don't have a whole bunch of sympathy. To their credit, I think most of these guys have done that.

That's the catch right there.

The guys who played in Edwards' era or the eras before that made nowhere near the amount of money that the guys today are making.

It was not uncommon for guys like Tom Matte or Jim Otto to have other jobs during the off season that is how little they were making.

Herm, like him or not is dead on on this issue as he is about the whole Pacman Jones situation (Toss him out for a year) he was quoted as saying when talking to the commish this week at the meetings.

Herm might be a lousy coach but he does love football and more importantly he respects the game. Something alot of these guys today don't.

Here is a link

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2007/03/28/2007-03-28_herm_help_retirees-1.html

Edwards, who played in the NFL from 1977-86, said he tells his Chiefs players today about sacrifices he and other players made financially during the 57-day strike in 1982 that helped make things better for players today. Now, he says, it's time to make things better for the players who predated him.

"It bothers me," he said. "If you are a historian and you know about the league and you watch what these guys went through and the sacrifices they made, we should give them whatever they want. You got to be kidding. Why wouldn't we? There is enough money to go around. They're part of our league. They're part of us."

Edwards said sarcastically that the league is too busy worrying about "the K ball," which is used for punts and kicks, to talk about the plight of the retired players.

"A lot of these guys are too proud to ask. They shouldn't have to ask," Edwards said. "We should have the common sense to go, 'Hey man, a loaf of bread doesn't cost 28cents anymore.' Let's make an adjustment. It's not going to hurt anybody. This is the NFL."

Is this Herm actually caring about retired players or is he angling for a job in the NFL or Union office once he gets fired in KC??? I hope he is being honest in his concern, but for some reason I doubt it.

Maybe i'm repeating here, but as some of you said earlier, i think its ok to look after the older players that were not making what they make today.

As for today's players, i couldn't possibly care any less of their medical insurance coverages. Its capitalism, if you don't look out for youself, no one else will. I actually enjoy seeing bums like TO (i pick him, cause he can barely put together a structured sentance, so you know he won't be in broadcasting) struggle when they hit retirement. They were given a gift, got to make a ton of money, if they blow it and find themselves not covered, i'm not shedding a tear for them.

On the other hand, with the serious injuries i hope the NFL can step up and help them out, other than that, i just don't care.

Maybe i'm repeating here, but as some of you said earlier, i think its ok to look after the older players that were not making what they make today.

As for today's players, i couldn't possibly care any less of their medical insurance coverages. Its capitalism, if you don't look out for youself, no one else will. I actually enjoy seeing bums like TO (i pick him, cause he can barely put together a structured sentance, so you know he won't be in broadcasting) struggle when they hit retirement. They were given a gift, got to make a ton of money, if they blow it and find themselves not covered, i'm not shedding a tear for them.

On the other hand, with the serious injuries i hope the NFL can step up and help them out, other than that, i just don't care.

good post.

#1: why should the league support guys after the retire because they blew all their money on gigantic diamond necklaces and living an extravagent lifestyle?

#2: Players get pensions--OJ simpson makes a mint--and while all of them don't get this much, they didn't play long enough to deserve it. Can anyone honestly say if a player's big toe touches the field once they deserve to be taken care of the rest of their lives? so what if they don't have other job skills? they can flip burgers (plenty of regular schmoes have to do this) when they get cut at 26 years old. plus, they have all other forms of public assistance available to them that a regular joe has. some jobs are more dangerous than being an NFL player (cop, marine) but they don't automatically qualify for a lifetime of cushy life for working 4-7 years, 8 months a year. maybe the country doesn't take care of poor people enough, that's a valid point but retired NFL players don't deserve anymore sympathy or special treatment than a marine or soldier who literally puts his or her ass on the line.

good post.

#1: why should the league support guys after the retire because they blew all their money on gigantic diamond necklaces and living an extravagent lifestyle?

#2: Players get pensions--OJ simpson makes a mint--and while all of them don't get this much, they didn't play long enough to deserve it. Can anyone honestly say if a player's big toe touches the field once they deserve to be taken care of the rest of their lives? so what if they don't have other job skills? they can flip burgers (plenty of regular schmoes have to do this) when they get cut at 26 years old. plus, they have all other forms of public assistance available to them that a regular joe has. some jobs are more dangerous than being an NFL player (cop, marine) but they don't automatically qualify for a lifetime of cushy life for working 4-7 years, 8 months a year. maybe the country doesn't take care of poor people enough, that's a valid point but retired NFL players don't deserve anymore sympathy or special treatment than a marine or soldier who literally puts his or her ass on the line.

I didn't think to compare them to Marines, firefighters, cops, teachers in ghetto. these people put it on the line, while guys like Lance Briggs will sit out cause 6 mil just isn't enough. Latrell Spreewell "has a family to feed". Ridiculous, i have sympathy for the Lion that broke his neck nearly 10 years ago, but who cares that Rothlesberger broke a leg? Ton's of people get hurt, those same people don't get the write up ben does.

Come on , what a freakin stretch..

What coach in the NFL Wouldnt come out and support that..

The only reason it probably came up is because the turd is always looking for more press opportunities. But can you imagine a coach coming out and saying ' I dont think we need to do anymore for our Vets'..

Slow news day to say this was a valiant thing for Herm to do...

Archived