Pacman Suspended for the year!

K2C

In a letter to each player, Goodell wrote: "Your conduct has brought embarrassment and ridicule upon yourself, your club, and the NFL, and has damaged the reputation of players throughout the league. You have put in jeopardy an otherwise promising NFL career, and have risked both your own safety and the safety of others through your off-field actions. In each of these respects, you have engaged in conduct detrimental to the NFL and failed to live up to the standards expected of NFL players. Taken as a whole, this conduct warrants significant sanction."

"I must emphasize to you that this is your last opportunity to salvage your NFL career," Goodell wrote to the players. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you in that effort."

Wow. Pretty stern writing to go with the heavy suspensions.

In a letter to each player, Goodell wrote: "Your conduct has brought embarrassment and ridicule upon yourself, your club, and the NFL, and has damaged the reputation of players throughout the league. You have put in jeopardy an otherwise promising NFL career, and have risked both your own safety and the safety of others through your off-field actions. In each of these respects, you have engaged in conduct detrimental to the NFL and failed to live up to the standards expected of NFL players. Taken as a whole, this conduct warrants significant sanction."

"I must emphasize to you that this is your last opportunity to salvage your NFL career," Goodell wrote to the players. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you in that effort."

Read this as the NFL not wanting to go the way of the NBA.

I think that it is awesome. This players should be counting their blessings that they don't have a construction job, or digging ditches. Not to mention how much they make is ludacris. I do think that a year is a bit too much for Pac man. I think he is a dirt bag, but it was his first time being suspended right?

Surprised the Union is going along with this.

Its their stance on how much a team can discipline a player and their stance on

drug testing has led to players thinking they can get away with everything.

I guess they have come to their senses that if it continues the goose that lays

the golden egg may get cracked.

http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25405

Yep, apparently. I know he said he would accept his punishment, but I would imagine you have to appeal that. It's totally unwarranted.

thats bull

^ this same person has their title under their name as "PACMAN IS INNOCENT"

Yea I see it now...Chris Henry gets 8 games??? WTF! Pac gets the whole year without even being convicted of anything. I hope Tank Johnson gets 2 years since he's been to jail!

WOW... I thought 8 games max. This is harsh.

hopefully the nflpa will fight this

why are they suspending him

not making a phone call

thats unfair this is wrong he hasnt been convicted of anything

still supporting pac

I think they both should have gotten the same punishment... 8 games

Titans fans are idiots. You know what's bull? You know what's unwarranted? You know what's harsh? Taking strippers by the hair and slamming their heads. Threatening peoples lives. Biting people. Having your "homies" come in and SHOOT people. Crippling people from the waist down. That's what's harsh. That's what's bull****. That's what's unwarranted.

Anyone who supports Pacman, or thinks that 16 games is way too much: **** you.

He should have been banned for life. He's nothing but a "gangster" who causes trouble. He does no good for the NFL, or even society for that matter. He's a piece of ****.

Surprised the Union is going along with this.

Its their stance on how much a team can discipline a player and their stance on

drug testing has led to players thinking they can get away with everything.

The NFLPA is the weakest union in pro sports. They have little choice but to go along with it.

I think that it is awesome. This players should be counting their blessings that they don't have a construction job, or digging ditches. Not to mention how much they make is ludacris. I do think that a year is a bit too much for Pac man. I think he is a dirt bag, but it was his first time being suspended right?

Too bad for him. The league has to start saying no more easing your way into year-long suspensions anymore. And a guy is a paraplegic now because of the incident that ensued as a result of Pac-Man's piece-of-garbage-ness. Plus two more police incidents that he kept secret, in direct violation of his contract terms.

You get guys behaving like these two because they don't think that a heavy punishment will be levied upon them.

Titans fans are idiots. You know what's bull? You know what's unwarranted? You know what's harsh? Taking strippers by the hair and slamming their heads. Threatening peoples lives. Biting people. Having your "homies" come in and SHOOT people. Crippling people from the waist down. That's what's harsh. That's what's bull****. That's what's unwarranted.

He should have been banned for life. He's nothing but a "gangster" who causes trouble. He does no good for the NFL, or even society for that matter. He's a piece of ****.

Good Post. But I am not nieve to the fact that if he was on the Jets there would

be some Jet fans who would probably be posting the same things that were said

by the Titan fans. There is already one earlier in this thread.

I know some guys don't like it when they hear Mangini talk about trying to

get good character guys. But this is what happens when you don't pay attention

to that aspect of a player. These teams now have to replace starting players

along with the distractions that will invariably come with the media sweeping down

on them for the constant interviews.

i just think its ridiculous that someone gets a year long suspension for something they did outside of the game while guys do thing in games and get far less...i.e. albert haynesworth stomping on a guys head and only gets 4 games.

Good Post. But I am not nieve to the fact that if he was on the Jets there would

along with the distractions that will invariably come with the media sweeping down

If Leon Washington, or Jonathan Vilma, or Jerricho Cotchery, or Chad Pennington, or anyone else on the Jets for that matter, I'd be disgusted I ever rooted for them, regardless of their importance to the Jets.

i just think its ridiculous that someone gets a year long suspension for something they did outside of the game while guys do thing in games and get far less...i.e. albert haynesworth stomping on a guys head and only gets 4 games.

Ok. Jones was suspected to be involved in a shooting that left a guy crippled from the waist down. Gurorde was playing the next game, I believe. This guy will NEVER walk again.

great post senior,

while it may seem harsh to many I think the new commisioner had to set a strong precedent for the good of the nfl. I saw the interviews with deon on nfl network & it makes me wonder how this guy made it thru that many years of college with his thuglike command of the english language.

I wonder if it will make teams rethink who they draft at the end of the month.

the titans owner must feel like that guy who had is ferrari totalled

Ok. Jones was suspected to be involved in a shooting that left a guy crippled from the waist down. Gurorde was playing the next game, I believe. This guy will NEVER walk again.

well, for one thing, its doubtful that pacman was the man who shot him, so why not blame the guy who actually pulled the trigger?

i just think there is a reason that there are police, prosecuters, a legal system...

**** me? **** you! ;) Was he even charged with one of those things? The only "witness" I've seen is the scumbag club owner. I'm shocked the NFLPA is going along with this, but the guy is enough of a piece of **** I guess they have no choice. I don't mind that you think the guy should be suspended, but we do have a justice system. They haven't even chosen to pick the guy up in that incident. FWIW, we all saw Haynesworth stomp the guy's head. We also saw Ray Lewis charged with obstructing justice in a homicide, yet PacMan is getting a year. PacMan isn't the first piece of **** to play football and he won't be the last.

So Jones gets 1 year for one offense and not reporting a few others while Henry gets 8 games for 3 offenses. Yes I know Jones can come back after 10 games, but, still... I don't know. Either way, good move by Goodell in the long run and shows he is no pushover.

**** me? **** you! ;) Was he even charged with one of those things? The only "witness" I've seen is the scumbag club owner. I'm shocked the NFLPA is going along with this, but the guy is enough of a piece of **** I guess they have no choice. I don't mind that you think the guy should be suspended, but we do have a justice system. They haven't even chosen to pick the guy up in that incident. FWIW, we all saw Haynesworth stomp the guy's head. We also saw Ray Lewis charged with obstructing justice in a homicide, yet PacMan is getting a year. PacMan isn't the first piece of **** to play football and he won't be the last.

The NFL didn't sentence him to jail for a year. They sentenced him to not playing in the league for a year.

Ray Lewis should have been run out of the league right after that whole thing went down. Ditto Leonard Little, Bill Romanowski, & many others. Tagliabue was weak on this crap for years.

Haynesworth got off light. I agree on that. But that was one incident. And since the team levied its own punishment, the NFL didn't come in and supercede them. If they'd only given Haynesworth a 1-game suspension or a warning, the Goodell might not have stood idly by on that one. You can bet your ass that if he had another "bad" incident like that on the field, that he wouldn't get off with only a 4-game suspension.

These two each had MULTIPLE instances. Under the law, you can't make an argument that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts; you are punished for crimes you've been convicted of; no more than that. But the NFL is not federal law. People don't have a "right" to play in the NFL. The sum of their actions as a whole IS greater than the seriousness of any of them taken on a case-by-case basis. They are handing down punishments not in accordance with state or federal laws, but in accordance to what they feel would satisfy the public into feeling that this isn't a league full of thugs that they cannot or will not identify or sympathize with. Pac-Man further had in his contract that he must disclose all such incidents; he failed to do so not once, but TWICE.

NFL players are not really afforded the same due process to play football as citizens are afforded to stay out of jail. They willingly accept, through their union, the rules, regulations, and punishments levied down by the league. In some instances, the union feels that the punishment is disproportionately harsh & they appeal the NFL's ruling on behalf of the player. The NFLPA has already stated that they will accept any punsihments these two (and Tank Johnson as well) are given. I believe that the player can appeal on his own (though I'm not 100% sure), but he's not going to find many friends in the room between the commissioner's office or the player's union.

It's not purely about committing a crime, or being formally charged or convicted of a crime. The NFL (and the NFLPA) are protecting their product. If a time came where the league was handing out suspensions on baseless accusations, then you can be sure the union would step in.

Goodell is laying down the law that behavior that is an embarrassment to the league will be punished, and punished severely. Power to him.

smart move by the NFL. the NBA is freaking unwatchable because i simply don't care about any of its players. when you see leon scamper for 40 yards against the fins and watch his postgame you actually see fire and joy in his eyes. pretty rare that you see anything more than a ego dick measuring contest in the NBA. with so many guys on the field at once it takes extreme patience, skill, teamwork and brilliance to do something extraordinary. ball hogs, guys who don't play D and prima donna glory seekers can make a career in the NBA but in the NFL if you give up on plays that you won't touch the ball, fail to block, give up on your routes-- you probably won't last long. thank god goodell is saying enough is enough and showing these turds that the league won't sit around and let these clowns rot it from the inside out. NBA will always attract some people with the one-on-ones and the dunk-dunk-dunk but in the NFL if people stop caring about a team and players, they're sunk.

My only problem is the following line:

The standard of socially responsible conduct for NFL employees will be higher. Club and league employees will be held to a higher standard than players. Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL will be subject to discipline, even if not criminal in nature

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10119182

Why are players treated differently than other employees? Everyone should be held to the highest standard possible, not different standards because you have a "special athletic talent"

Also, the integrity and reputation of the league is very open ended and could include just about anything.

Anyway, I support the commissioner 100%.

Every sports league needs to be tough in how it handles discipline, and if more did it, maybe it could have an effect on society as a whole... now I'm daydreaming....

The NFL didn't sentence him to jail for a year. They sentenced him to not playing in the league for a year.

Ray Lewis should have been run out of the league right after that whole thing went down. Ditto Leonard Little, Bill Romanowski, & many others. Tagliabue was weak on this crap for years.

Haynesworth got off light. I agree on that. But that was one incident. And since the team levied its own punishment, the NFL didn't come in and supercede them. If they'd only given Haynesworth a 1-game suspension or a warning, the Goodell might not have stood idly by on that one. You can bet your ass that if he had another "bad" incident like that on the field, that he wouldn't get off with only a 4-game suspension.

These two each had MULTIPLE instances. Under the law, you can't make an argument that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts; you are punished for crimes you've been convicted of; no more than that. But the NFL is not federal law. People don't have a "right" to play in the NFL. The sum of their actions as a whole IS greater than the seriousness of any of them taken on a case-by-case basis. They are handing down punishments not in accordance with state or federal laws, but in accordance to what they feel would satisfy the public into feeling that this isn't a league full of thugs that they cannot or will not identify or sympathize with. Pac-Man further had in his contract that he must disclose all such incidents; he failed to do so not once, but TWICE.

NFL players are not really afforded the same due process to play football as citizens are afforded to stay out of jail. They willingly accept, through their union, the rules, regulations, and punishments levied down by the league. In some instances, the union feels that the punishment is disproportionately harsh & they appeal the NFL's ruling on behalf of the player. The NFLPA has already stated that they will accept any punsihments these two (and Tank Johnson as well) are given. I believe that the player can appeal on his own (though I'm not 100% sure), but he's not going to find many friends in the room between the commissioner's office or the player's union.

It's not purely about committing a crime, or being formally charged or convicted of a crime. The NFL (and the NFLPA) are protecting their product. If a time came where the league was handing out suspensions on baseless accusations, then you can be sure the union would step in.

Goodell is laying down the law that behavior that is an embarrassment to the league will be punished, and punished severely. Power to him.

I don't have much of a problem with this. Thing is, does Goodell have any proof about this latest incident? I doubt it. I think he's just making an example and figures it will be upheld based on PacMan's other scumbag infractions. If I were PacMan's agent/attorney and this deal was strictly about the strip club incident I'd be laying odds that they wouldn't be able to suspend him.

The NFL may not need the same standard as criminal court, but they would probably at least need to meet the civil court burden of proof preponderance of evidence. I don't think they'd have that in this case even when you consider evidence that wouldn't be admissible in court. If this is the way the NFL wants to play it, I don't mind, but I'd prefer that they concentrate on the in game thuggery - like the head stomp. I think people should refrain from blaming PacMan for all the ills of the NFL and the tragedy of this man being crippled by gunfire. PacMan didn't shoot him, hasn't been charged and the police specifically stated he wasn't a suspect. If there were any evidence he'd probably be charged by now.

If the worst thing PacMan did was that "make it rain" crap I have a problem with punishing him. IIRC, Nelly and Jamie Foxx were there doing the same thing and they'll probably be the halftime show at the next super bowl.

I don't have much of a problem with this. Thing is, does Goodell have any proof about this latest incident? I doubt it. I think he's just making an example and figures it will be upheld based on PacMan's other scumbag infractions. If I were PacMan's agent/attorney and this deal was strictly about the strip club incident I'd be laying odds that they wouldn't be able to suspend him.

The NFL may not need the same standard as criminal court, but they would probably at least need to meet the civil court burden of proof preponderance of evidence. I don't think they'd have that in this case even when you consider evidence that wouldn't be admissible in court. If this is the way the NFL wants to play it, I don't mind, but I'd prefer that they concentrate on the in game thuggery - like the head stomp. I think people should refrain from blaming PacMan for all the ills of the NFL and the tragedy of this man being crippled by gunfire. PacMan didn't shoot him, hasn't been charged and the police specifically stated he wasn't a suspect. If there were any evidence he'd probably be charged by now.

If the worst thing PacMan did was that "make it rain" crap I have a problem with punishing him. IIRC, Nelly and Jamie Foxx were there doing the same thing and they'll probably be the halftime show at the next super bowl.

Look at the post above yours:

"Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL will be subject to discipline, even if not criminal in nature."

Seems to me they can suspend or otherwise discipline anyone they feel like. Getting arrested a bunch of times qualifies IMO.

Look at the post above yours:

"Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL will be subject to discipline, even if not criminal in nature."

Seems to me they can suspend or otherwise discipline anyone they feel like. Getting arrested a bunch of times qualifies IMO.

I agree 100% about "getting arrested a bunch of times" qualifying. I don't agree that hanging out in a strip club and being there when a shooting erupts necessarily fits the bill. Even if you know the guy that pulled the trigger. That policy does seem to be a blank check, but I question the validity of leaping directly from anarchy to that.

A bit harsh to suspend a guy for a season w/o actually pointing to something that he did as the reason but hey, it's like you guys said, this is not the state/federal court system but rather a private entity that can generally do what it wants.

bad move, should of let him play, he is only going to get into more trouble, do you really think he is going to volunteer at the local animal shelter next season?

Well, if PacMan wants to play in the NFL again, he better stay out of trouble.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10119161

Each player must earn the right to be reinstated.

Jones will be strictly monitored by the Titans and the NFL during the suspension as part of his opportunity to earn reinstatement through adherence to a set of conditions. His status will be reviewed after the Titans' 10th regular-season game to determine the extent to which he has complied with the conditions and whether the suspension should be affected by the disposition of any pending or prospective charges.

The specific conditions that apply to Jones' suspension include the following:

• He must have no further adverse involvement with law enforcement.
  • He must fully cooperate with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned under league or court-ordered programs.
  • He must adhere to the restrictions on his activities that have been agreed to by he and the Titans.
  • He may not be at the Titans' facility through May 31 and may not participate in any practices or organized workouts during the term of the suspension. Beginning June 1, he must visit the team facility once each week to meet with the team's player development director. Also, beginning June 1, he is permitted to spend one day a week at the team facility for conditioning, film study, and other similar activities.
  • In conjunction with the team's player development director and other professionals working with him, Jones must develop with the Titans a structured program of community service or other activity. This program must be submitted to the league office for review and approval.

The only problem I have with this is he should be forced to be at the facility during all required times (training camp, practices) It doesnt have to be in the locker room or involve the other players. But being around the organization they can have more oversight on his quest to reinstatement. Make him work on the grounds crew. Make him sit in meetings with coaches. Make him work in the office. Make him sit with reporters for an hour a day... Make him wash jock straps and socks.

For his sake, I hope he turns his life around, finds God, and becomes a role model showing you can turn your life around.

Archived