Trotter released by Iggles

raffyD

In a stunning move Tuesday, the Philadelphia Eagles have decided to part ways with one of the stalwarts of their defense from the last several years.

The Eagles are releasing perennial Pro Bowler MLB Jeremiah Trotter, FOXSports.com has learned. Despite recording 113 tackles in 2006, the Eagles feel that Trotter has lost a step.Trotter, who has played in Philadelphia for seven of his nine NFL seasons, has registered over 100 tackles in six different seasons, including each of the last two. At 29, Trotter has been one of the Eagles' leaders on defense, along with safety Brian Dawkins.

Trotter was expected to anchor an improved Eagles linebacking corps with the off-season acquisition of Takeo Spikes.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7141464?forum_key=StoryComments&topic_key=7141464&page_no=2

Wow, thought he was a pretty good backer.

better option than Wadsworth and Haynes too-i mean if you wanna give an older player a shot no better option than this...of course it won't happen-the Jets NEVER sign guys like this (read; guys I want them to sign)-the one exception was Ty Law-and we all know how THAT one worked out

Damn. Trotter at 29 has still got plenty of years left in him and I think this is more of a move to getting a little young for the Eagles than it is them thinking that he lost a step. This is the second time Trotter has been shafted by the Eagles organization. I wonder where he ends up. At first thought Buffalo came to mind, but not with DiGiorgio and Paul P there, no way.

The truth cant be a low blow? lol

Vilma looks bigger this off season... at least its a step in the right direction...

He does? By what? 3 pounds? I was at training camp for a day and the first two games and didn't see it.

Once Vilma struggles again in '07 in this defensive front the Jets will have one of two roads to take.

Road #1 - Switch back to the 43 to suit your best player (Vilma).

Or

Road #2 - Trade Vilma to a team who runs a 43 who is in need of a MLB and that way we can get something of good value. Because he's still young and they have 2 great years in '04 and '05 to look at via his MLB in the 43 resume, this would be a trade that would help both Vilma and the Jets. Vilma in returning to a Pro Bowler and the Jets in being able to move on and find a better suit for a 34 ILB.

He does? By what? 3 pounds? I was at training camp for a day and the first two games and didn't see it.

Once Vilma struggles again in '07 in this defensive front the Jets will have one of two roads to take.

Or

Road #2 - Trade Vilma to a team who runs a 43 who is in need of a MLB and that way we can get something of good value. Because he's still young and they have 2 great years in '04 and '05 to look at via his MLB in the 43 resume, this would be a trade that would help both Vilma and the Jets. Vilma in returning to a Pro Bowler and the Jets in being able to move on and find a better suit for a 34 ILB.

Right on. But Nugent still sucks.

Right on. But Nugent still sucks.

The Nuge is the man and you know this. This year he will shut you and other haters up by finally giving you the most unneeded stat a kicker should have - touchbacks. Enjoy 5 or 6 of them. That should make you all happy.

He will also kick 5 straight field goals through the uprights, at least, to break Pat Leahy's franchise record of 22 straight field goals made. He is at 18 right now. Enjoy the ride!

The Nuge is the man and you know this. This year he will shut you and other haters up by finally giving you the most unneeded stat a kicker should have - touchbacks. Enjoy 5 or 6 of them. That should make you all happy.

He will also kick 5 straight field goals through the uprights, at least, to break Pat Leahy's franchise record of 22 straight field goals made. He is at 18 right now. Enjoy the ride!

Nuge will start 2 for 8 and Morten Anderson will be brought in by week 5

Or

Good post. You could make the case that Rhodes is our best defensive player now. The 3-4 is here to stay and thats a good thing in the long run IMO. I would love to trade Vilma for a first and try and get the middle linebacker from USC and some o line help with the other first. The only problem with this scenario is that trading Vilma might not be well received in the locker room.

Good post. You could make the case that Rhodes is our best defensive player now. The 3-4 is here to stay and thats a good thing in the long run IMO. I would love to trade Vilma for a first and try and get the middle linebacker from USC and some o line help with the other first. The only problem with this scenario is that trading Vilma might not be well received in the locker room.

If we can get a first for him I wouldn't flip out if we traded Vilma. I don't think it's going to be as easy to get one as some guys. Starting from scratch I'd probably prefer Willis and he went eleven. I do have an issue with the statement in bold. I've heard this with regard to benching Pennington too. If the move is not well received in the locker room it's probably not a good move. Those guys want to win and they know who can play as well as anybody. Obviously, there may be times when it's a good idea in the long run to go against locker room sentiment (maybe to season the young qb or get a high draft pick for an LB the size of a safety) but most times those guys are on the money.

Oh and Cincy isn't hurting for LB help with Thurman and Pollack out?

Cincy too.:)

Seriously, it does sound a lot like Mo Lewis at the end of his career here where he basically couldn't move anymore. If that's the case then maybe he really should retire.

Oh and Cincy isn't hurting for LB help with Thurman and Pollack out?

Ahmad Brooks is a fine MLB and if Thurman were to come back for this season he would've had to fight back for his job. Or at least thats what I was reading.:)

Rey Malauga? It would be cheaper and more effective to run a 4-3 right now than the 3-4, but I'm not Eric Mangini. I still don't see the benefits of a 3-4 over a 4-3.

Rey Malauga? It would be cheaper and more effective to run a 4-3 right now than the 3-4, but I'm not Eric Mangini. I still don't see the benefits of a 3-4 over a 4-3.

I won't argue whether or not its better in the short-term to run the 4-3, but I do think that long-term the 3-4 is the way to go. I believe the 3-4 is a better defense than the 4-3. It is a more confusing scheme for offenses and you can hide things better. The biggest problem with it is that it is very difficult to find good personel that can handle it, especially NT. That's the biggest problem with the Jets defense right now. If you don't have a dominant, or at least effective, NT than the defense is severely handicapped. I believe that once we find a NT that can man the position at a high level, everything else will fall into place.

Archived