Pro Football Talk...Clemens

NIGHT STALKER

We're hearing in the wake of the Jets' far-closer-than-expected game against the Patriots a belief in some circles that the Jets are far more effective with veteran Chad Pennington at quarterback than they are with Kellen Clemens, a second-year, second-round draft choice.

"People are questioning the decision to go with Clemens," a league source told us on Monday night.

The thinking is that the Jets are using Clemens because he was selected by G.M. Mike Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini and, thus, is "their guy."

If so, it's even more likely that the Jets will try to ship Pennington out of town after the 2008 season.

Pennington is under contract through 2011, and his base salary spikes to $4.8 million next year. If there's going to be a trade, Pennington will most likely have to agree to a new deal with his new team.

The last two games of the 2007 season could be an opportunity for Pennington to catch the attention of a franchise that is looking for a new quarterback come 2008. Clemens sustained a rib injury and a shoulder injury early in Sunday's game against the Patriots.

There's also extremely unconfirmed talk that Clemens has a broken rib and, possibly, a punctured lung. But that, at this point, is pure rumor.

So in "some circles" there is no merit in giving a young QB some experience in a lost season? Pennington is head and shoulders above Clemens in game management and awareness because of his experience but he has hit his ceiling. The Jets need to know what the game plan is for 2008 going into this crucial off season.

I don't think any reasonable (ahem), Jet fan can argue that Pennington is the best choice for the Jets THIS year. But that is not what this is about.

It is all about the future.

I thought everyone knew that.

Well then Scott the future doesn`t look much better ,since Iread an article today that said ,the club doesn`t think Matt Ryan or BROHM are better then Clemens ....Sounds like they`ll stick with KC after this season

I don't understand why the faith in Clemens.

People talk about 'oh he needs more time' but i guaruntee if his QB rating was 125 we wouldn't be having that conversation.

looked it up, in general 2nd round QB are not special

2nd round QB by year:

Kevin Kolb, Eagles

John Beck, Dolphins

Drew Stanton, Lions

Kellen Clemens, Jets

Tavares Jackson, Vikings

Drew Brees, Chargers

Shaun King, Buccaneers

Charlie Batch, Lions

Jake Plummer, Cardinals

Tony Banks, Rams

Todd Collins, Bills

Kordell Stewart, Steelers

Matt Blundin, Chiefs

Mike Elkins, Chiefs

Billy Joe Tolliver, Chargers

People talk about 'oh he needs more time' but i guaruntee if his QB rating was 125 we wouldn't be having that conversation.

2nd round QB by year:

Kevin Kolb, Eagles

John Beck, Dolphins

Drew Stanton, Lions

Kellen Clemens, Jets

Tavares Jackson, Vikings

Drew Brees, Chargers

Shaun King, Buccaneers

Charlie Batch, Lions

Jake Plummer, Cardinals

Tony Banks, Rams

Todd Collins, Bills

Matt Blundin, Chiefs

Mike Elkins, Chiefs

Can I please repeat myslef for the upteenth time...our QB of the future is not on the roster yet.

If we go into next season with Pennington and Clemens having another battle in training camp, I'm not sure I will watch a game next season. I can not take any more Chad Pennington.

Come, Troll. Join me in rooting for the Packers, my true childhood team!

If we go into next season with Pennington and Clemens having another battle in training camp, I'm not sure I will watch a game next season. I can not take any more Chad Pennington.

Well, if I were you. I would fax a memo to Mangini to make sure Clemens gets a fair shake in camp competing with Chad (if he's still there) and hope that he beats him out.

IMO, he hasn't been given a fair shot. Also its crazy to think you give up on a QB after 6-7 starts with a piss poor line. Give the guy a training camp and better talent on the Oline...also it helps when WR's catch the ball.

2nd round QB by year:

Kevin Kolb, Eagles

John Beck, Dolphins

Drew Stanton, Lions

Kellen Clemens, Jets

Tavares Jackson, Vikings

Drew Brees, Chargers

Shaun King, Buccaneers

Charlie Batch, Lions

Jake Plummer, Cardinals

Tony Banks, Rams

Todd Collins, Bills

Matt Blundin, Chiefs

Mike Elkins, Chiefs

As if that means something?? Were 6th rd QBs special or was it Tom Brady? Bad logic.

BTW, you left out my hero Brett Favre, a 2nd rd pick.

Go Pack Go!

The majority of QBs in ANY round are busts, esp the 1st round. The 2nd rd is no different.

Not exactly breaking news. As if where they were drafted somehow limits their ability to succeed at the next level, lol. And the fact that Favre and Brees made it, both 2nd rd picks and similar in size to Clemens, just proves that it is possible for a 2nd rd QB to be a great one. Not to mention Clemens would have been a 1st rder had he not gotten injured his senior year.

Great logic, bit.

We're hearing in the wake of the Jets' far-closer-than-expected game against the Patriots a belief in some circles that the Jets are far more effective with veteran Chad Pennington at quarterback than they are with Kellen Clemens, a second-year, second-round draft choice.

Penny kept it close? i could have sworn it was the defense. What about the 0 for 7 on third downs to start the game? I like penny as a person, but his ship has sailed, it's time to get draft picks for him.

The majority of QBs in ANY round are busts, esp the 1st round. The 2nd rd is no different.

Not exactly breaking news. As if where they were drafted somehow limits their ability to succeed at the next level, lol. And the fact that Favre and Brees made it, both 2nd rd picks and similar in size to Clemens, just proves that it is possible for a 2nd rd QB to be a great one. Not to mention Clemens would have been a 1st rder had he not gotten injured his senior year.

Great logic, bit.

the dude in your signature was a second round.

Any idea when they plan on putting him on the Roster N.S.?

Well, with Clemens hurt and Jones and Hicks cut there is some possibility that they will add Ratliff to the active roster and give him a look, but it's more likely they will raid two guys from other teams practice squads. Unless of course they promote Ratliff of somebody else to avoid being raided themselves.

I have a bad feeling that IF we keep Chad another year then Mangini will proclaim an "open competition" at QB position, then Chad would IMO beat out Kellen.

I know I ahve been a Chad fan but I would be pissed if that happened, it would basically leave us exactly where we entering this season.

You need to shut up right now. Don't you ever utter such blasphemy!

Chad needs to go somewhere else. Point blank period

Be nice..... Now I`ll add some fuel to that fire... I would like to have seen Chad play behind a half way decent line for 1 full season after he recovered from all his assorted inujuries

Be nice..... Now I`ll add some fuel to that fire... I would like to have seen Chad play behind a half way decent line for 1 full season after he recovered from all his assorted inujuries

I'd rather not waste another second with him. Cut bait and move on.

But what good is the next QB gonna be, if our present scouts couldn`t draft an OL good enough to keep our present QB`s from getting beat up?

So the other option is to stick with a guy who historically cut can't cut it?

I'd rather be moving forward than sitting stagnant.

People are questioning the decision to go with Clemens," a league source told us on Monday night.

Did any of these people notice that Chad does not put any points on the board? And I'd take Clemens every time in the two minute drill over Chad. These league sources should watch the games before they question things.

So the other option is to stick with a guy who historically cut can't cut it?

I'd rather be moving forward than sitting stagnant.

I say you give them both 1 more year build up that OL so it can actually protect whoever our QB is ,then if neither steps up ,then invest in a new QB ,instead of investing right off the bat and getting him put on the IR in preseason...

Did any of these people notice that Chad does not put any points on the board? And I'd take Clemens every time in the two minute drill over Chad. These league sources should watch the games before they question things.

With that logic,Kellen has not put up many points either, now he is nursing a shoulder injury, possible broken rib and punctured lung! QB is not our problem, it is the line.

They should put a sign over the front door at Hofsta reading:

"New York Jets"

Where quarterbacks come to die.

Semper Fi

Can I please repeat myslef for the upteenth time...our QB of the future is not on the roster yet.

Agreed. I don't know what people have seen in Clemens that is making them believe he'll amount to anything more than a good back-up.

Archived