McFadden: MERGED

SUorangefootball

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darren McFadden to Oakland

Many mock drafts (including Mel Kiper's latest) indicate that Oakland would take McFadden if he is available at the No. 4 position (assuming no deals are made involving the first three picks that would send McFadden elsewhere).

ncf_a_mcfadden_200.jpg AP Photo/Ann Heisenfelt

If the Raiders follow their traditional draft model, they won't take Darren McFadden at No. 4.

The Raiders' history under Al Davis strongly suggests he is probably averse to taking a running back that high in the selection process. Since 1963, the year Davis took over the club, Oakland has picked a running back in the first round only three times. The Raiders have taken runners only two times in the second round and eight times in the third round.

There are three reasons the Raiders haven't made many high-level draft investments at this position. The first is that Davis has frequently said that successful teams aren't built around running backs. Davis believes that offensive linemen and cornerbacks are the most important building blocks, and that a good offensive line will pretty much automatically give a team a good running game.

The second reason is that Oakland's history with running backs shows it has had pretty good success at finding them in the later rounds or picking them up from other teams. Five of the Raiders' top-10 all-time career rushing leaders were drafted by them in the third round or later, and three more were acquired from other teams.

The third is that the Raiders haven't had much success when taking backs early in the draft. Of the four ball carriers they have drafted in the first two rounds since the common draft began in 1967, one of them (Ted McKnight) played zero games for the team; another (Nick Bell) played only 35 games.

As if all of this wasn't enough to indicate the Raiders might skip over McFadden, they also have not drafted a running back in six of the past nine drafts. Add that to the significant issues on their offensive line and Justin Fargas' performance last year, and it points to Oakland going in another direction with its top pick.

I haven't seen this posted yet. But i was just over on Jets Insider (i know i know) i was reading the boards and this was just posted. Apparently he was at a boxing event in NY with jets coaches, he was followed with a camera but didnt talk.

One of the posters on JI actually made the most lucid statement i have heard yet about why the Jets will draft McFadden, so I cannot and will not take credit for the statement that follows but it makes a lot of sense.

Woody has to move into a new stadium soon, and has to sell PSLs for a lot of money soon. Having a team that sucks and goes 4-12 is not a way to get fans to want to spend the money on jacked up season ticket prices. He has no face of the franchise so to speak. Which is why he went out and spent a truckload of money in the offseason, and is why he will draft mcfadden while he has leon and TJ under contract.

McFadden is the only person in the draft that can become an instant face of the franchise, bust or no-bust, what he will do for season ticket sales immediately is no-debate, and frankly even if he does not have an AP type rookie season fans will give him 2 or 3 seasons before labelling him a bust and thats what Woody needs to get the season ticket holders over into the new stadium and as long as we get to 8 wins next year he wins.

Thoughts?

I haven't seen this posted yet. But i was just over on Jets Insider (i know i know) i was reading the boards and this was just posted. Apparently he was at a boxing event in NY with jets coaches, he was followed with a camera but didnt talk.

One of the posters on JI actually made the most lucid statement i have heard yet about why the Jets will draft McFadden, so I cannot and will not take credit for the statement that follows but it makes a lot of sense.

Woody has to move into a new stadium soon, and has to sell PSLs for a lot of money soon. Having a team that sucks and goes 4-12 is not a way to get fans to want to spend the money on jacked up season ticket prices. He has no face of the franchise so to speak. Which is why he went out and spent a truckload of money in the offseason, and is why he will draft mcfadden while he has leon and TJ under contract.

McFadden is the only person in the draft that can become an instant face of the franchise, bust or no-bust, what he will do for season ticket sales immediately is no-debate, and frankly even if he does not have an AP type rookie season fans will give him 2 or 3 seasons before labelling him a bust and thats what Woody needs to get the season ticket holders over into the new stadium and as long as we get to 8 wins next year he wins.

Thoughts?

Woddy will never have to worry about season ticket sales.

That lucid statement was made here weeks ago; that the drafting of McFadden is to be a PR move like all the FA's they acquired so the upcoming PSL announcement would be more palatable.

I don't see them drafting a player for that reason. They're moving into a new facility and gouging the fans like many other franchises have done. It's not exactly New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

If anything, this stuff with McFadden is a dog & pony show. The Jets want to trade down more than anything. Woody/Tangini did the same thing with Jay Cutler 2 years ago when we picked around the top 5. Met with him for 8 hours breaking down film; Woody flew out to see him, took him out to dinner with just the 2 of them. The whole thing. It's a show.

In the end, they may draft him and they may not draft him. But I think it is absurd that they would do anything different with their top pick because of upcoming PSL's. And frankly I don't think it has the slightest bearing on what they will do. Not even a little bit. Not even as a tie breaker between 2 prospects they have ranked 100% evenly in all other aspects.

Thoughts?

That's wjat i've been saying, that Woody did this offseason all to make a above .500 team, so he gets more PSL money.

Woody will get the same PSL money for a 4-win team as a 10-win team. There is no shortage of fans with money in the surrounding areas who are willing to pony up big bucks for PSL's. It will be out of some people's price range but they will sell every last one of them.

If the Knicks can (and do) still get $100 for a garbage seat 2 months after they've been eliminated from the playoffs, the Jets will get whatever they want for their PSL's. There are enough people with enough money here to assure that.

Suggesting that the Jets would miss out on thousands of PSL's if they pass on McFadden for a more "boring" player or for trading down outright, is utterly silly and frankly it's naive.

What's the waiting list for season ticket holders..5-10 years. Drafting a player for PSL's is beyond absurd.

It makes as much sense as the opposite point of view. That if they Jets don't draft McFadden it's because they don't care if they collect as much in PSL's. Now how many here would believe that one?

It makes as much sense as the opposite point of view. That if they Jets don't draft McFadden it's because they don't care if they collect as much in PSL's. Now how many here would believe that one?

You know as well as anyone SE PSL's are SOP in the NFL for new stadiums

This is the 4th time they are meeting with him to be a dog and pony show.. they dont want to trade down..you guys want to trade down...

Thoughts?

How do the Jets need someone to sell Season Tickets when the waiting list is like 10 or more years long? Screw McFadden! If the Jets draft him they are idiots!

How do the Jets need someone to sell Season Tickets when the waiting list is like 10 or more years long? Screw McFadden! If the Jets draft him they are idiots!

Who would you rather have??? Leodis mckelvin? LOL Team needs an idenity... we have none.. look at every other nfl team and you can see who is the face of there franchise.. who do we have?/ kerry rhodes? thats our face? chad pennington? sometimes you just need talent... and he is the most talented player in this draft and no other player wil make that much of an impact week1.. not even the overated Gholston..

Yeah I ssaid it.. overrated... after listening to three draft experts last night talk about gholston..im not sold on him... disapears...

This is the 4th time they are meeting with him to be a dog and pony show.. they dont want to trade down..you guys want to trade down...

So the Jets, who have never tipped their hand with any prospect, and who make every attempt to conceal their intentions (particularly in the draft), are making this one exception by publicly showing their hand as to who they want?

If anything, the Jets have shown that they do the opposite of what they're showing, particularly with regards to the draft.

The kid had his workout at Arkansas yesterday. The Jets pick 6th and he is one of the top prospects in the country. Of course they're going to meet with him.

ESPN is reporting there are "major rumblings" that the Raiders want McFadden with the fourth pick in the draft.

So when other teams leak/show interest, it's nonsense. When the Jets - who are insanely secretive about their intentions - do it, they are tipping their hand to the country. Do I basically have this correct?

So the Jets, who have never tipped their hand with any prospect, and who make every attempt to conceal their intentions (particularly in the draft), are making this one exception by publicly showing their hand as to who they want?

If anything, the Jets have shown that they do the opposite of what they're showing, particularly with regards to the draft.

The kid had his workout at Arkansas yesterday. The Jets pick 6th and he is one of the top prospects in the country. Of course they're going to meet with him.

ESPN is reporting there are "major rumblings" that the Raiders want McFadden with the fourth pick in the draft.

So when other teams leak/show interest, it's nonsense. When the Jets - who are insanely secretive about their intentions - do it, they are tipping their hand to the country. Do I basically have this correct?

There picking 6th... and he is excpected to be there at 6...I dont buy the raiders taking him... there not... there coach said there not... they have 4 running backs... I just read a story about michael bush being healthy and raiders cant wait to get him going... there not taking mcfadden...

Btw... this wil be the 4th time they are spending time with this player.. who else did you see them spend that much time with?? btw...jay cutler scenerio is not the same.. cutler was not a top 5 talent... and probaly just a fall back if Dbrick wasnt there... they were never taking cutler... that was obvious..

OK so it seems I do have it right. Everyone else (including St. Louis now) is putting up a smokescreen regarding McFadden, and the Jets are showing their cards. Gotcha.

St louis... is anyone buying they are taking mcfadden?? Steven Jackson? anyone ever heard of him? yeah some teams do it better then others... look if one of those teams that dont need him take him then god bless.. the only way im pissed is if we pass on him..

Btw... you dont know what the jets want to do..I dont either... so we will just see this thing play out in 9 days!

Team needs an idenity... we have none.. look at every other nfl team and you can see who is the face of there franchise.. who do we have?/ kerry rhodes? thats our face? chad pennington?

We dont need an identity. We dont need someone who is the face of the franchise. That sh!t doesnt win football games. Good players put into situations where they can succeed is what we need.

RB is not our biggest need. Why waste a draft pick this year on a RB? If our offensive line is so God Damn good as everyone says it is, then Thomas Jones and Leon Washington will have a great year.

We have a lot of greater needs than RB. I hope our front office is smart enough to realize that.

St louis... is anyone buying they are taking mcfadden?? Steven Jackson? anyone ever heard of him? yeah some teams do it better then others... look if one of those teams that dont need him take him then god bless.. the only way im pissed is if we pass on him..

Btw... you dont know what the jets want to do..I dont either... so we will just see this thing play out in 9 days!

Jackson is not under contract after the 2008 season, will command a $60-70M deal, and RB history indicates he will begin his decline after year 3 of an extension. He didn't make that much on his rookie deal & will be looking to get MAJORLY paid on this one. They will re-sign him in all likelihood, but it's not as cut & dry as you're making it out to be.

OK so it seems I do have it right. Everyone else (including St. Louis now) is putting up a smokescreen regarding McFadden, and the Jets are showing their cards. Gotcha.

Jackson is not under contract after the 2008 season, will command a $60-70M deal, and RB history indicates he will begin his decline after year 3 of an extension. He didn't make that much on his rookie deal & will be looking to get MAJORLY paid on this one. They will re-sign him in all likelihood, but it's not as cut & dry as you're making it out to be.

get out of here... there not taking a rb... i bet anything on that one.. as for the face of the franchise thing... you need a buzz around the team... we dont want to be ny's other team.. like fcking rejects.. retarded brother of the giants... we want to be deemed a great franchise.. mcfadden would be the best player availiabe..

All you guys had very good arguments before free agency began.... now that we took care of most of the glaring needs... we have the luxury to select the BPA... and thats what we will do...

For all of you Gholston lovers.... heres a stat u might like... He NEVER had more then 4 tackles in one game in his career.... can u imagine that??

Btw... According to my friend from cleveland at work who loves ohio state... just said to me Laranitus was the real playmaker on that defense and Gholsten is way over rated.. Laranitus made gholston a better player..

Who would you rather have??? Leodis mckelvin? LOL Team needs an idenity... we have none.. look at every other nfl team and you can see who is the face of there franchise.. who do we have?/ kerry rhodes? thats our face? chad pennington? sometimes you just need talent... and he is the most talented player in this draft and no other player wil make that much of an impact week1.. not even the overated Gholston..

Yeah I ssaid it.. overrated... after listening to three draft experts last night talk about gholston..im not sold on him... disapears...

MckElvin and Cromartie are way overhyped so NO I do not want them. The best bet is to trade the pick and stock up. Gholston is going to be a beast regardless of what the draft "experts" have to say. Chris Long and him are the only two guys I would take at 6 if I was the Jets although I still prefer trading out of the 6 spot. McFadden (HB) is far from a need and guaranteeing him $20 mill is not gonna make his legs thicker. If they do get a back it should be Stewart IMO. I'd rather them take Matt Ryan then McFadden.

Favorite Toon, I like your enthusiasm but I need to make it clear to you that the Jets are not drafting McFadden. The only way that happens is if Tangini attempts to trade down with Dallas.

McFadden is much better than Thomas Jones. I'll give you that. Is he better than Leon Washington? I don't know. The point is if the Jets stay at 6 Tangini is taking Gholston or Harvey or another CB.

get out of here... there not taking a rb... i bet anything on that one.. as for the face of the franchise thing... you need a buzz around the team... we dont want to be ny's other team.. like fcking rejects.. retarded brother of the giants... we want to be deemed a great franchise.. mcfadden would be the best player availiabe..

All you guys had very good arguments before free agency began.... now that we took care of most of the glaring needs... we have the luxury to select the BPA... and thats what we will do...

For all of you Gholston lovers.... heres a stat u might like... He NEVER had more then 4 tackles in one game in his career.... can u imagine that??

Btw... According to my friend from cleveland at work who loves ohio state... just said to me Laranitus was the real playmaker on that defense and Gholsten is way over rated.. Laranitus made gholston a better player..

Shouldn't you be busy hitting the weights to get ready for the season, Darren? :P

Seriously, I'm convinced you're either:

A. Darren McFadden himself

B. A friend or relative of his

C. Someone working for him or his agent

D. One of the girls he got pregnant who's trying to talk him up so he gets more money to give to you

So which is it? :)

as for the face of the franchise thing... you need a buzz around the team... we dont want to be ny's other team.. like fcking rejects.. retarded brother of the giants... we want to be deemed a great franchise..

wait... so you want McFadden so we arent NY's other team?

Sounds like you have some issues that need to be resolved.

I dont want this organization to draft a player so we can get better headlines or "respect."

I want them to draft based on what is our biggest need and how we can get back to being a good team. Stop caring about what other people think of the Jets. Other people's opinion doesnt matter. It doesnt help the Jets win 1 friggin game whether we are the premier franchise in NY or not.

I dont care if we are the Giants retarded brother. What the Giants do doesnt affect my team or my enjoyment of my team. I only care about the NYJ. Thats it. If you are so hung up on this, its time to stop being a jets fan because they will disappoint more times than not.

Where did you get that "stat" from? AEC? There is one problem with it, it's simply not true. I'm not sure where you get the NCAA statistics, but I know for a fact that Gholston had five against Wisconsin last year and seven against Penn St. as a sophmore. In '06 he had 49 tackles in 13 games, meaning that he averaged almost 4 per and had better than one tackle for a loss per game. As a soph. I'm sure he had a better season this year.

Darren McFadden to Oakland

Many mock drafts (including Mel Kiper's latest) indicate that Oakland would take McFadden if he is available at the No. 4 position (assuming no deals are made involving the first three picks that would send McFadden elsewhere).

ncf_a_mcfadden_200.jpg AP Photo/Ann Heisenfelt

If the Raiders follow their traditional draft model, they won't take Darren McFadden at No. 4.

The Raiders' history under Al Davis strongly suggests he is probably averse to taking a running back that high in the selection process. Since 1963, the year Davis took over the club, Oakland has picked a running back in the first round only three times. The Raiders have taken runners only two times in the second round and eight times in the third round.

There are three reasons the Raiders haven't made many high-level draft investments at this position. The first is that Davis has frequently said that successful teams aren't built around running backs. Davis believes that offensive linemen and cornerbacks are the most important building blocks, and that a good offensive line will pretty much automatically give a team a good running game.

The second reason is that Oakland's history with running backs shows it has had pretty good success at finding them in the later rounds or picking them up from other teams. Five of the Raiders' top-10 all-time career rushing leaders were drafted by them in the third round or later, and three more were acquired from other teams.

The third is that the Raiders haven't had much success when taking backs early in the draft. Of the four ball carriers they have drafted in the first two rounds since the common draft began in 1967, one of them (Ted McKnight) played zero games for the team; another (Nick Bell) played only 35 games.

As if all of this wasn't enough to indicate the Raiders might skip over McFadden, they also have not drafted a running back in six of the past nine drafts. Add that to the significant issues on their offensive line and Justin Fargas' performance last year, and it points to Oakland going in another direction with its top pick.

We dont need an identity. We dont need someone who is the face of the franchise. That sh!t doesnt win football games. Good players put into situations where they can succeed is what we need.

RB is not our biggest need. Why waste a draft pick this year on a RB? If our offensive line is so God Damn good as everyone says it is, then Thomas Jones and Leon Washington will have a great year.

We have a lot of greater needs than RB. I hope our front office is smart enough to realize that.

Simply yet brilliantly put!

Archived