Jake Long to the Jets (Peter King)

BigOrangeJetFan

It's not gonna happen. I would expect Atlanta to take him. Even if Atlanta passed on him there's no way in hell KC passes on their dream OL for M.Ryan, or any other QB. That just won't happen. I don't even want J.Long. Look at my sig at my draft board. It's either Gholston, or a corner for me.

No way in hell.

I wouldn't mind him at RT but seeing him get destroyed by Gholston as a LT sort of drops his stock in my eyes. Gholston might be a stud at the next level, but i find it hard to believe he'll be better than every other speed rusher in the NFL.

The other reason we won't take him is it's just too high a pick, and not a high enough need. I'd be happy with a RT with our second rounder, just not with our first.

No way in hell.

I wouldn't mind him at RT but seeing him get destroyed by Gholston as a LT sort of drops his stock in my eyes. Gholston might be a stud at the next level, but i find it hard to believe he'll be better than every other speed rusher in the NFL.

The other reason we won't take him is it's just too high a pick, and not a high enough need. I'd be happy with a RT with our second rounder, just not with our first.

Your logic is exactly why KC will pass on Jake Long if they like Ryan. There are plenty of good tackle prospects in this draft but only a single really good QB prospect (it seems KC feels this way about Ryan). And KC will draft again at the top of the second round where Herm can nab Baker or Nicks or Collins, etc. Further, Herm ignored the O-line in NY I so I dont see why he will change now.

FWIW, I disagree about the need. I agree with King that Ferguson has been mediocre thus far in the NFL. He may improve but - if they cant trade the pick - I wouldn't mind having a LT prospect in hand with a year under his belt in the event that Ferguson continues to be what he's been so far: mediocre, or worse.

Per Peter King, Jake Long will be available to us at #6. He will be the RT opposite our "C+" LT-DBrick.

Here's the link...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/03/21/mmqb/index.html?eref=T1.

I'm not even going to read it, Peter King is a ****ing puts. 2 days ago he had us trading up to 1 to take Chris Long............. to play ****ing DE. I should have went to journalism school these people write the write the stupidist **** and are making a steady pay check and have access to any event they want.

It would be something of a surprise if Long lasted that long, and I could certainly accept King's concept:

But here's my view if Ryan's there: The Jets will hold an auction and try to get two first-day picks for this slot.

That would have to be their thinking at that point. They have so much money already invested on the OL that a tackle at #6 would just be too much. I'd think there'd be teams ready to move for the consensus #1 OT in the draft at #6, too.

That mock is stupid.

It's HIS opinion which is DIFFERENT than yours but it's NOT stupid. I assume the list is his preference as to who the Jets will pick in the 1st round. I seriously doubt he believes that McFadden will be taken in the 5th round. :rl:. If he does then I stand corrected and the mock is stupid. :biggrin:

If Jake Long fell to 6 all Jets fans should be doing cartwheels.

Ferguson - Faneca - Mangold - Woody - Long

NFL Dlines = :wtf::jawdrop:

Everything I read so far this off season said that Woody was a disaster as Detroits LG this year. That being said I'd simply LOVE to nab Jake Long with our 1st round pick.

jake long shouldn't be there by #6 and if he is, so what? i'd be more intrigued as to what tangini will do if both gholston and mcfadden are available @ #6. i'm really hoping that we can get gholston, long (chris) is a pipe dream at this point. but if neither gholston or long is available and mcfadden is, then give me dallas' 22 & 28 and whatever else we can take in trade.

LT-D'Brickishaw Ferguson

LG-Alan Faneca

C-Nick Mangold

RG-Brandon Moore

RT-Jake Long

Lets not forget that Woody can play just about every position on the O-Line and gives this Jets team great deph incase a player goes down due to injury

Our O-Line would be in great hands for the next 10 seasons with Ferguson at LT, Mangold at Center and Jake Long at RT, Just think of the pass protection from the outside with Ferguson and Long

LT-D'Brickishaw Ferguson

LG-Alan Faneca

C-Nick Mangold

RG-Brandon Moore

RT-Jake Long

Lets not forget that Woody can play just about every position on the O-Line and gives this Jets team great deph incase a player goes down due to injury

Our O-Line would be in great hands for the next 10 seasons with Ferguson at LT, Mangold at Center and Jake Long at RT, Just think of the pass protection from the outside with Ferguson and Long

Ferguson has been mediocre in pass protection and worse in the running game. Here's hoping Faneca helps him alot. The Jets shouldnt be interested in Jake Long except as a hedge against Ferguson's future progress. IMO.

Ferguson has been mediocre in pass protection and worse in the running game. Here's hoping Faneca helps him alot. The Jets shouldnt be interested in Jake Long except as a hedge against Ferguson's future progress. IMO.

LT and a NT for the 3-4 are the hardest positions to fill, they are BY FAR the hardest positions for a player to play. Just the fact that Ferguson started his rookie season when we made the playoffs and started last year next to a backup LG is amazing.

The kid has only been in the league for 2 seasons, this year we should see him turn into one of the best LT's in the league playing next to Faneca.

LT and a NT for the 3-4 are the hardest positions to fill, they are BY FAR the hardest positions for a player to play. Just the fact that Ferguson started his rookie season when we made the playoffs and started last year next to a backup LG is amazing.

The kid has only been in the league for 2 seasons, this year we should see him turn into one of the best LT's in the league playing next to Faneca.

I tend to agree with you somewhat on DBrick. If he doesn't turn it around this

year next to Faneca then its time to move him on.

D'Brick is a pretty good LT and has been for us.

Long would really, really struggle vs top pass rushers, see what happened him when he faced Vernon Gholston.

Then again we don't need Long, he shouldn't even be in the picture AT ALL.

We have more major holes to fill than RT! I rather draft a QB than Jake Long.

Pending they're available (I would have Chris Long #1 but I've accepted that there is no chance he's there) here's who I'd pick in order of preference:

1) Vernon Gholston

2) Darren McFadden

3) Leodis McKelvin

4) Matt Ryan

5) Jake Long

That's also assuming that trading down is not an option.

Pending they're available (I would have Chris Long #1 but I've accepted that there is no chance he's there) here's who I'd pick in order of preference:

1) Vernon Gholston

2) Darren McFadden

3) Leodis McKelvin

4) Matt Ryan

5) Jake Long

That's also assuming that trading down is not an option.

Doesn't McKelvin have knee problems ? I might be mistaking.

He won't be there, but if he is we HAVE to take him.

I can't understand why anyone would say pass on Jake Long. We'd have the best O-Line in the game. He is an absolute beast at RT. Yes, Gholston burned him once for a sack, but he isn't as good at LT. But come on, that was the only sack he allowed all season. And he had ZERO penalties. He runs through people.

If he is there at 6, the commish better be walking up to the podium with 9:59 left on the clock.

Archived