Farve contemplating a return?

Alk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well I posted somehting I heard on ESPN and people said I was full of ****.

so yeah.

That's because you totally skewed everything that was said. You said "sort of looks like", when the real term was "long shot". Kind of a big difference. Although I would appreciate a link if possible.

Not to mention 4H never had his thread-making abilities revoked for making too many threads, or, even worse, getting faba (of all people) pissed off at you for total misinformation in your thread titles.

That's because you totally skewed everything that was said. You said "sort of looks like", when the real term was "long shot". Kind of a big difference. Although I would appreciate a link if possible.

Not to mention 4H never had his thread-making abilities revoked for making too many threads, or, even worse, getting faba (of all people) pissed off at you for total misinformation in your thread titles.

well I said looks like and well according to this thread its us or TB.

whatever though.

so hes either coming here or TB

Good news and it would make sense that the Jets would get the cheapest price of any of the teams as they are the only AFC team that is seriously interested in Brett's services and Green Bay would like to see him in New York.

I'd love to get Favre, but I'd tell the Packers... look.. Thursday is our deadline. Because if he's not in practice on Saturday morning with us, it's too late.

Regardless of whether Favre is the right fit or not--agreed.

just recently on sportscenter all they said was Favre is considering the tampa option

They didnt mention the jets.

yeah but now they are. at least on the bottom line. that's mostly because of the anti-jets bias on sportscenter.

for example a few weeks ago they ask what is good fit bad fit with Golic for favres destination. he says bad ft for the jets. today when they pre-emted around the horn. Golic says New York is a great fit for Favre.

mortenson to me somewhat sounds like favre's family may convince him to go to new york

I'd agree - if he's our 1 year rental until KC steps up or we draft someone better, he needs to be here by our next practice.

The only reason we'd get Favre is if we know KC can't step up, and all indications are he can't. What a terrible pick. Generally taking a small QB high is a bad idea. More than likely even if he was any good he would just get injured in a 16 game season anyway. I'm pretty sure he was injured in his half season stint.

I want a big tough QB that has all the tools. Some guy that has the arm strength, size and durability that it isn't a question. Then we can worry about developing skills on top of that, since everybody needs to develop those skills in the NFL anyway. I can not understand the logic of getting someone that at their best is definitely going to be limited.

The only reason we wanted him here is our QBs blow. I was one of the biggest proponents for Favre on this site, but even I said he wasn't worth much in terms of trade value. He'd be a 1 or 2 year rental at most, so you don't want to give anything higher than a 5th round pick. GB apparently didn't feel the same way, and they dragged it out so long that it wasn't even worth it for us at this point.

I bet we could have Leinart for cheap. It probably won't be much of an upgrade, but at least we don't know that for sure. He wanted to come here too from what I know. We aren't going to get Cutler, and I don't know if there's a truly great prospect coming out of the college ranks anytime soon. I say we ship Arizona our first rounder for next year, and maybe even a second for the year after. Get Leinart into camp and see if he can beat out the two yokels we have.

And this coming from someone that thought Leinart would suck. That should tell you what I think of our QBs and our options.

Is he even available?

It's Arizona, they can't keep anyone anyway, plus Leinart was on some time share with Warner and was having attitude problems apparently. Might be what we need to make a trade offer. I don't think Arizona is interested in developing a new QB, so Chad and some draft picks might be attractive to them.

Of course, if a guy fails with Boldin and Fitz and Edge, maybe he really isn't an upgrade over KC. But that's a risk we might want to take.

But ultimately that was just a hypothetical, and really just an expression of my frustration with our QB situation and desire to see something, anything, happen.

Bret Favre is done and has been for 2 yrs. Great guy,strong arm and fun to watch but way past his expiration date.Even the Packers are tired of watching him forcing balls into double and triple coverage off his back foot anymore.

I didn't want him here even with the QB dung heap we have playing for us.

Another thing I'm not looking forward is another yr of John Madden performing 180 minutes of verbal Fellatio on him every week.

i called this a week or two ago. it only makes sense. gruden's west coast is similar to what he was running in GB, so the verbiage transition won't be so severe that the old dog can't figure out the trick. it just wasn't realistically possible for him to come in and learn schotty's O, which is considered complex in some circles. the verbiage for favre would be like one of us trying to learn all 2000+ chinese characters and their pronunciations in a month and then being put to work as a translator. oh, you'll get it... eventually. and that's exactly what we would've been dealing with with favre. favre knew that too, which could be a factor that induced his initial anti-ny trade rhetoric.

whatever the case, i do admire the guy. he has a genuine love for the game - as evidenced by his turning down the "marketing" deal the org offered him; though i question whether it was class or greed that prompted his "thinking it over" response - and from the minute he retired i was wondering when he'd comeback. i've always thought the man should still be playing, just not for this team. the bucs just made more sense from the word go. and besides, tampa is closer to hattiesburg than east rutherford is.

Jets try to land Brett Favre but Buccaneers close in on deal

BY OHM YOUNGMISUK and RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Wednesday, August 6th 2008, 4:00 AM

Ludtke/AP

Brett Favre leaves Lambeau Field on Tuesday ...

Daniel/Getty

... where Packers coach Mike McCarthy again fields questions about the saga that now may me coming to an end.

GREEN BAY - Brett Favre apparently no longer wants to play in Green Bay and is prepared to play elsewhere - and elsewhere may include the Jets.

Although the Buccaneers remain the most likely landing spot for the future Hall of Fame quarterback, the Jets have emerged as a contender in the Favre sweepstakes. Favre spoke directly to the Jets and Bucs Tuesday night, ESPN and the NFL Network reported.

That Favre spoke to the Jets represents a change of heart, one that could give Jets fans a glimmer of hope. Previously, it was thought he had no interest in talking to the Jets, whose interest in Favre hasn't wavered amid the many twists and turns in his "unretirement."

The Jets have maintained an ongoing dialogue with Favre's agent since July 25, the Daily News has reported. That was when they first received permission to speak with Favre. They also have had trade talks with the Packers. At one point, the Jets flirted with the idea of flying an entourage of team officials to Favre's home in Mississippi in an attempt to woo him.

Although the Jets still haven't commented publicly on their interest in the Packers legend, they've stayed on the periphery of the Favre saga. Even Tuesday, when reports surfaced that Favre had left the Packers and was willing to consider the Bucs, the Jets still felt they were in the game, a person familiar with the team's thinking told the Daily News.

This could turn out to be a giant tease if, as some suspect, Favre is using the Jets as leverage, hoping to stimulate the Bucs' interest. For many reasons, the Bucs probably are more appealing than the Jets. Coach Jon Gruden is a former Packers assistant and runs a similar style offense. The Bucs are dealing with an injury to quarterback Jeff Garcia (calf). Tampa Bay is closer to Favre's home.

The Bucs also face the Packers this season, in Week 4, and that could be a motivating factor for Favre. No doubt, the Packers would prefer to trade him to the Jets, out of the NFC, but that also could mean less compensation in terms of a draft pick.

Favre met with coach Mike McCarthy for hours Tuesday morning, continuing talks from the night before when the two spent four hours together. Favre also spent another hour in GM Ted Thompson's office Monday night.

McCarthy described the talks as "brutally honest" and said that Favre did not convince him that the quarterback was in the "proper mind-set" to play for the Packers again. Favre, who initially wanted to start for the Packers or be released so he could join an NFC North rival such as the Vikings or Bears, said he had no problem competing with Aaron Rodgers for the job, which McCarthy was prepared to offer.

However, the future Hall of Famer couldn't get over the divisiveness of everything that has taken place between him and the franchise in the past five months during this entire debacle since he retired in March. McCarthy said Favre didn't feel wanted and the coach said he took responsibility.

"Best thing for this team is for us to part ways," Favre told ESPN. "We're at a stalemate. Mike and I both agreed that me being out there is a distraction and will continue to be a distraction. We all know the reason I'm here is because the commissioner reinstated me so we have a lot of things to figure out. It's simple and complicated, both at the same time."

After Favre met with McCarthy in the morning again, he left the team facility just before the Packers took to the practice field, where fans packed the stands with several screaming chants that all had to do with bringing Favre back. Other fans called for Thompson's job.

During practice, Favre met with Thompson and Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy at his home in Green Bay. McCarthy said he did not know what transpired during that meeting but he told reporters he was going to talk to Favre later in the evening.

While McCarthy wouldn't rule out the possibility of Favre ever playing again in a Packers uniform, the coach indicated that his mind was made up and can't be changed.

McCarthy said the two talked so much about how the situation got so strained with perceived leaks into the media about Favre's intentions and other things that he never even got into it with Favre about what his role would have been with the team. McCarthy declined to reveal what that would be.

"We talked about competing for the starting quarterback, but we really didn't get much into it," said McCarthy, who admitted that he never thought Favre was serious about playing again. "That was something that we would have talked about if he would have got to the right mind-set."

The Packers put Favre on the non-football injury list, a technical move to explain why he's not practicing with the team.

"Given his mind-set, why would I let anybody of a negative mind-set in our locker room?" McCarthy said. "I don't want to classify him as a negative mind-set; it's very personal. The football team has moved forward, OK? The train has left the station. He needs to jump on the train and let's go, or if we can't get past all of the things that have happened, I need to keep the train moving."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report: Favre deal to Bucs near complete

The Tampa Tribune reported on its website that the Buccaneers would land the Hall of Fame quarterback.

By GREG A. BEDARD, LORI NICKEL and TOM SILVERSTEIN, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Last update: August 6, 2008 - 1:24 AM

GREEN BAY, WIS. -- As it turns out, Brett Favre might get a chance to play for one of the Green Bay Packers' divisional rivals ... one from seven years ago.

The Tampa Tribune reported late Tuesday that a trade for Brett Favre between the Packers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers was likely to be finalized sometime on Wednesday after Favre told Tampa directly that he would not stand in the way of a deal.

A source close to Favre told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that although Favre's trade to Tampa Bay was not yet completed, the signs were definitely pointed in that direction.

The Journal Sentinel, through league sources, learned that Favre did give his blessing to a trade to Tampa Bay directly. However, a deal between the Packers and Buccaneers has not been finalized. The teams still have to agree on compensation, which could prove to be a sticking point on Wednesday. The sources were also under the impression that the New York Jets were not out of the running for Favre's services.

Favre is said to be stressed out by the entire situation, including seeing about 100 fans and reporters camped out on his doorstep, and is ready for it to be over. His wife, Deanna, also gave her approval for a trade to Tampa Bay, according to multiple sources.

Before his trip to Green Bay, Favre was unwilling to talk to either the Buccaneers or Jets about their interest in trading for him, even though the Packers had given them their permission.

But since his lengthy meetings with both coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson, Favre has realized that his preferred methods of re-entry into the league from retirement -- starting for the Packers or being given his outright release -- have little chance of happening.

A four-person Packers contingent, including team President Mark Murphy and general manager Ted Thompson, went to Favre's house in the afternoon to sell Favre, his wife and agent James (Bus) Cook on the idea of a trade.

Although the Packers would prefer Favre play in the American Football Conference, the Buccaneers would be palatable to both sides.

The Buccaneers, Green Bay's NFC Central rivals from 1977-2001, were 9-7 last season and won the NFC South to advance to the playoffs, so they fit Favre's criteria of being a team that has a chance to go far into the playoffs.

Tampa Bay has some solid weapons on offense -- running back Earnest Graham, wide receivers Joey Galloway, Ike Hilliard and Michael Clayton, and tight end Alex Smith -- and the West Coast system employed by coach Jon Gruden should be adaptable to Favre's strengths. Favre is also familiar with Gruden, who was an offensive assistant in Green Bay from 1992-'94.

The Buccaneers have plenty of room beneath the salary cap to absorb Favre's $12 million salary and aren't afraid to deal, so the Packers should find them a willing trade partner.

The specter of Favre taking the field against the Packers in a Week 4 game between the teams at Tampa Bay might be difficult for Packers fans (if the Packers and Buccaneers finish in the same place in their respective divisions, another meeting in Tampa would happen in 2009). So might a possible postseason game. But Packers players said they could deal with it.

"It wouldn't be any different than playing any other quarterback," cornerback Charles Woodson said. "Our main focus is to go out and win a game. He's seen us as a defense, we've seen him as a quarterback and our focus down there would be to get after him. It wouldn't change in that regard. It would just be much different seeing him in another uniform."

A trade to Tampa could also work out for Packers because at least one of their quarterbacks would likely be cut to make room for Favre. Jeff Garcia, Luke McCown, Brian Griese and Chris Simms could all be of interest to the Packers.

The Jets have had interest in Favre for some time. They have had conversations with Cook, but it is not known whether Favre has spoken to the Jets.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, I think this is too late. I have serious doubts as to Favre picking up an entirely different offense to what he's played in for some 15 straight years, as well as getting timing down with 5-6 new WR's and 3 new TE's. All in time for the season to start in a month. And on top of all of it, he's coming off a season that he absolutely wouldn't repeat even in Green Bay anyway.

Too many are idealizing a 39 year-old Brett Favre like he's a 29 year-old Peyton Manning that can do no wrong or like he'd be an automatic anything. Like it assures the team of anything other than enduring interceptions when he gets frustrated.

His numbers against good defenses last year wouldn't even make Kellen Clemens hold his head up high. His numbers against scrub defenses was off-the-charts good. But he still sucked against Philly, both games against Chicago, and actually did worse than Kellen Clemens against both Washington AND Dallas despite his 15 years of NFL experience & better talent around him at virtually every position on offense. And that season slammed shut with him chucking up one of his trademark, game/season-ending Favreceptions to the other team.

And I'm not saying Kellen Clemens is a better QB; right now he doesn't look markedly better than Brett Ratliff let alone Brett Favre. But for those quoting Favre's wonderful stats from 2007 - with a team & play book he knew COLD:

vs Washington:

Favre: 19/37 (51.4%) - 188 yds - 0 TD's, 2 INT's - (43.5 rating if anyone cares about that #)

Clemens: 23/42 (54.8%) - 226 yds - 1 TD, 0 INT's - (78.1 rating)

vs Dallas (they were both awful, but the point is Favre was not only no better; he was worse):

Favre: 5/14 (35.7%) - 56 yds - 0 TD's, 2 INT's - (8.9 rating)

Clemens: 12/27 (44.4%) - 142 yds - 0 TD's, 1 INT - (45.6 rating)

And we're to expect him to to so much better with a play book he's never seen before, terminology he's never used before, receivers he's never thrown to before, and a month to prepare for it all, at 39 years old? And this will mean better performances than he did in Green Bay?

Talk about rose-colored glasses.

Bret Favre is done and has been for 2 yrs. Great guy,strong arm and fun to watch but way past his expiration date.Even the Packers are tired of watching him forcing balls into double and triple coverage off his back foot anymore.

I didn't want him here even with the QB dung heap we have playing for us.

Another thing I'm not looking forward is another yr of John Madden performing 180 minutes of verbal Fellatio on him every week.

4155 yds last yr, yep he's done.

The only reason we'd get Favre is if we know KC can't step up, and all indications are he can't. What a terrible pick. Generally taking a small QB high is a bad idea. More than likely even if he was any good he would just get injured in a 16 game season anyway. I'm pretty sure he was injured in his half season stint.

I want a big tough QB that has all the tools. Some guy that has the arm strength, size and durability that it isn't a question. Then we can worry about developing skills on top of that, since everybody needs to develop those skills in the NFL anyway. I can not understand the logic of getting someone that at their best is definitely going to be limited.

Isn't Clemens the same height as Brett Favre? Or like within half an inch?

If he sucks (which he does so far), that isn't going to be the reason. Hell, Drew Brees was a higher draft pick than either of them, and is 1-2" shorter than either of them. When he sucked in his first few seasons it wasn't because of his height. It's because he just sucked.

well I posted somehting I heard on ESPN and people said I was full of ****.

so yeah.

You have a reputation for starting dumb threads, and that is your own fault. you've started so many asinine threads that you don't get the benefit of the doubt. do you understand?

Archived