Eric Mangini has done a great job this year

BP

Ecurb, comparing Herm's 9-3 start in 2004 either shows you have a short memory, haven't been a Jets fan for very long, or are simply looking to be argumentative. Herm lost to every team we played with a winning record in that 9-3 start (the exception being the Chargers who were 1-0 after beating the sucky Texans in week 1).

I'd much rather have a pair of hiccups (losing 1 & winning 1) against the likes of Oakland & KC - with a team full of new faces - and then hits its stride & beats the 1st-place Pats & undefeated 1st place Titans, BOTH on the road.

This team, while I don't know how far they'll go, I feel CAN beat anyone. Herm's teams, 2004 included, you kind of knew that the class teams of the division or conference were going to beat us up (unless we had ridiculous luck like 2 non-offensive TD's vs Pittsburgh in the playoffs).

Here's the 9-3 start in 2004:

W Cincy in Carson Palmer's first NFL start. They started out 1-4.

W SD who didn't exactly resemble the team that got hot 2 weeks later. Hell, Brees left the damn game.

W Miami, who lost their first 6 games & finished 4-12.

W Buffalo, who was 0-3

W 49ers, who finished 2-14

L NE - the first real team we played. We lost.

W Miami - again. They didn't just start out 0-6. They also went 1-9. So 2x we beat a team otherwise 1-7. Yay.

L Buffalo. A team with a 2-5 record.

L Baltimore. Another opponent with more than 1 win = another loss for the Jets

W Cleveland. Team would finish 4-12.

W Arizona - was game 2 of their 4-game losing streak. Their next 2 losses were to Detroit & the otherwise 1-15 49ers. Yeah, they were awesome.

W Houston. Another team with a losing record.

The next 4 were against Pittsburgh, Seattle, NE, and the Rams. Two games against top teams, and a game each against a team 1 game over .500 and 1 game under .500. We lost 3 of those 4.

In 2004, the first 12 games was the easy part of the schedule. The first 5 and last 3 in particular.

Something about that team - you knew we were no match for the elite AFC teams.

This year, the first 12 games included the difficult part of the schedule.

We just knocked off a pair of 1st place AFC teams on the road, including one that was 10-0. Whether we do or don't end up winning every remaining game is not the point - you know we can compete with & beat anyone.

And the team knows it, too.

There's no more "well, chalk this one up as a loss because it's the Steelers (or the Patriots or whoever)" - the excuses are over. This is the best the Jets have looked since '98, which is the last time we knew we could beat anyone without getting unbelievably lucky.

PWNED!

POTW nom!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Mangini pisses me off a lot. But to suggest that this is the same as Hermie's rolling over teams that roll over for people is crap.

Herm = on his way to his 3rd season in the last four with a record of 4-12 or worse. The lone exception being when the Chiefs "only" took a 1-game slide over their prior 10-win finish under DV.

these are Eric Mangini's NY Jets..period..If he takes the blame he gets the credit..right..please no one compare EM with Herm thats just plain retarded.

Eric has say over offense-defense-specials..He lets his coaches do what there

paid to do..These are Eric Mangini's NEW York Jets and their f**kin good.

Ecurb, comparing Herm's 9-3 start in 2004 either shows you have a short memory, haven't been a Jets fan for very long, or are simply looking to be argumentative. Herm lost to every team we played with a winning record in that 9-3 start (the exception being the Chargers who were 1-0 after beating the sucky Texans in week 1).

I'd much rather have a pair of hiccups (losing 1 & winning 1) against the likes of Oakland & KC - with a team full of new faces - and then hits its stride & beats the 1st-place Pats & undefeated 1st place Titans, BOTH on the road.

This team, while I don't know how far they'll go, I feel CAN beat anyone. Herm's teams, 2004 included, you kind of knew that the class teams of the division or conference were going to beat us up (unless we had ridiculous luck like 2 non-offensive TD's vs Pittsburgh in the playoffs).

W SD who didn't exactly resemble the team that got hot 2 weeks later. Hell, Brees left the damn game.

W Buffalo, who was 0-3

W Miami - again. They didn't just start out 0-6. They also went 1-9. So 2x we beat a team otherwise 1-7. Yay.

W Arizona - was game 2 of their 4-game losing streak. Their next 2 losses were to Detroit & the otherwise 1-15 49ers. Yeah, they were awesome.

The next 4 were against Pittsburgh, Seattle, NE, and the Rams. Two games against top teams, and a game each against a team 1 game over .500 and 1 game under .500. We lost 3 of those 4.

In 2004, the first 12 games was the easy part of the schedule. The first 5 and last 3 in particular.

We just knocked off a pair of 1st place AFC teams on the road, including one that was 10-0. Whether we do or don't end up winning every remaining game is not the point - you know we can compete with & beat anyone.

There's no more "well, chalk this one up as a loss because it's the Steelers (or the Patriots or whoever)" - the excuses are over. This is the best the Jets have looked since '98, which is the last time we knew we could beat anyone without getting unbelievably lucky.

Added to your rep for this post.

i actually was impressed that he went for the win late in the game on th eplay where coles drew a PI call. but that's about it. i have to give him some credit i guess for finally shoring up the run defense...and improving the pass rush. but as of now i still think this team is winning in spite of him.

If you think about it, that loss to Oakland might have been a blessing in disguise. It turned this season around, and the Jets have won 5 straight ever since.

Maybe it did cost us home field throughout, but either way you look at it, I'd say this team is in great condition right now.

home field throughout is obviously the hot chick's vagina....but a play-off bye is pretty ****ing sweet as well. who would have thought the jest would be in the running for either when this season started...especially before favre magically landed in our laps.

PWNED!

POTW nom!

Thats awesome, I dont mind it one bit... someone who can actually step up to the plate and use facts to prove a point!

Amazing!

Still doesnt change the fact Chadamoron was just being an *******...

Whether I am right or wrong (Sprem isnt making it easy for me... lol ) Its how I feel and at least he had the brains to step up to the plate and beat me down with facts and not some stupid picture...

It was easy to blast Mangini with the early losses to NE and SD and then the pathetic performances against teams like the Raiders and KC. But now that this team is on a tear, you have to give him and his staff credit. It goes both ways. Factor in the fact that it obviously took time for all of the new pieces to jell together, and overall, I think you have to say Mangini has done a very good job.

They still have to improve the pass defense. Yesterday was a step in the right direction, although Collins and those receivers did not scare me going into the game, despite the media hype about Collins. The addition of Ty Law gives them some flexibility in their schemes. How well Mangini and Sutton can hide their weaknesses (LBers in pass coverage) here on out will determine just how far this team goes. It is safe to say the offense is clicking on all eight cylinders and Leon is Leon.

I have not been this excited about a Jets team in a very long time. Congrats to Mangini and his team.

That's the bottom line and why I never got excited about Herm or Noodle ball..

For the first time in 10 years we can line up with anyone in the league and beat them straight up.

The only problem though is that every game against every team is going to be nerve racking from here on out. I know we can do it, but I don't have the same confidence in the Jets as I do the Giants right now. I'm going to be nervous as hell next week hosting Denver, and then nervous when we play in SF, etc..

It's funny how sometimes objective stats back up your gut feelings about a team. FO keeps track of a teams weekly variance, that is how much the teams performance changes week to week, and the Jets are currently 28th in the league in terms of consistency... :eek:

It's funny how sometimes objective stats back up your gut feelings about a team. FO keeps track of a teams weekly variance, that is how much the teams performance changes week to week, and the Jets are currently 28th in the league in terms of consistency... :eek:

Look on the bright side... their offensive variance was 4th lowest in the league last year. Being occasionally very good is better than being consistently awful.

There is clearly more evidence to prove he is doing good this year... I must admit... so I will back down for now and hope he keeps changing my mind...

Oh and thanks to those who left me positive rep agreeing with my opinion on Chadadamamamamamdsjmdjsdbn... appreciate the support :)

Thats awesome, I dont mind it one bit... someone who can actually step up to the plate and use facts to prove a point!

Amazing!

Still doesnt change the fact Chadamoron was just being an *******...

Whether I am right or wrong (Sprem isnt making it easy for me... lol ) Its how I feel and at least he had the brains to step up to the plate and beat me down with facts and not some stupid picture...

i feel sorry for you. you are like a train wreck on a reality show. people are embarrassed for u but we cannot stop watching

listen if you want me to go game by game and play by play. i wont go through that because

1 i have a life

2 i am tipsy

but herm's so called teams never dominated other teams like the jets are doing right now. herm was never able to beat a good team in his life. most of his wins when he was with the jets were against average teams

W Buffalo, who was 0-3

the only difrence between my post above and sperm's is that his has more details. but they both say the same thing. yet ecurb keeps calling me out for not defending my opinions. what a load of crock.

did you suck too much seawater ecurb because your losing salt levels

you still can't lose to the Raiders and almost lose to the CHiefs

A self-proclaimed Giants fan should know that last year they lost to the Vikings, losers of 6 of their previous 9 games. And didn't just lose - they got annihilated 41-17 and Adrian Peterson didn't even play. A couple of weeks before that, the winless Dolphins almost handed them a loss. Giants won by a FG 13-10. A few weeks before that, they almost lost to the 1-win Jets. The really good teams they played a that point were 2 games vs Dallas and 1 game vs Green Bay. They lost all 3.

How is that any better?

A self-proclaimed Giants fan should know that last year they lost to the Vikings, losers of 6 of their previous 9 games. And didn't just lose - they got annihilated 41-17 and Adrian Peterson didn't even play. A couple of weeks before that, the winless Dolphins almost handed them a loss. Giants won by a FG 13-10. A few weeks before that, they almost lost to the 1-win Jets. The really good teams they played a that point were 2 games vs Dallas and 1 game vs Green Bay. They lost all 3.

How is that any better?

It's hard to follow all five of your favorite teams.

Yet theres some posters here that think they can coach better. All cause Clowney's riding pine.

Why would we want to change the line-up when we're winning and the Chemistry is so great. Favre said it himself that he was on teams where chemistry was more important than talent and that helped him win.

How is that any better?

pwned

Lets give him some credit. he's done a great job of calming Favre down and making him play a controlled game. kudos to him and Favre.

LETS GO JETS!

Oh, and where are Aqua and Crashingjet? :lol:

Agreed. And I have been ragging BS for two years and I will now stop. Two minor concerns: that prevent defense that allows teams to score in a minute and a half. And Eric must promise never to do an onside kick in the middle of the game, ever again. I am still steaming about those.

Agreed. And I have been ragging BS for two years and I will now stop. Two minor concerns: that prevent defense that allows teams to score in a minute and a half. And Eric must promise never to do an onside kick in the middle of the game, ever again. I am still steaming about those.

i feel sorry for you if your still steaming about those

well, I agree that the onside kick fixation is an unneeded eccentricity, but this awful prevent we play could cost us a game this year....possibly against a good QB in the playoffs

The problem with the prevent isn't that they use it, it's the execution. I'm not Herm saying throw the players under the bus, it's on the coaches too. There is no excuse for being unable to slow teams down with this talent level.

well, I agree that the onside kick fixation is an unneeded eccentricity, but this awful prevent we play could cost us a game this year....possibly against a good QB in the playoffs

prevent defense allows the teams to make the other teams from scoring quick with less time. ultimately you have to make the other teams not go out of bounds and save time. you want them to stay in the middle in hurry up offense which puts pressure on the offense, and players can make mistakes

Archived