Jets To Release Guard Brandon Moore...NFW

SoFlaJets

I'm in the minority here, but Brandon Moore is overrated IMO and not worth the $7 million in cap space. Damien Woody was solid at RT but is much better suited to play inside. With that being said, he's an upgrade over Moore at RG.

We can find a RT in the draft that can play as well as Woody did last year, and for a fraction of the cost. I like this move, assuming they draft a mauler RT.

andre davis is falling fast....lol

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean Andre Smith outta 'Bama?? This guy has lost himself a ton, A TON, of money this past week. He was actually reported as AWOL over the loud speaker...either him or his agent f'ed up, but regardless, they messed up big time.

Not the best time to do it either, the LT position is good this year. It's not like teams don't have other players to choose from.

You mean Andre Smith outta 'Bama?? This guy has lost himself a ton, A TON, of money this past week. He was actually reported as AWOL over the loud speaker...either him or his agent f'ed up, but regardless, they messed up big time.

yeah smith ...thats what i meant to write. i was j/k though.

He's been f'ing up pretty good lately and as you said he's cost himself some serious coin in the process. He did SOMETHING to get himself tossed off the team (ALABAMA ) just before the Sugar Bowl. That cost BAMA the game since they had to totally reshuffle the O line. He is one messed up kid right now.

He's been f'ing up pretty good lately and as you said he's cost himself some serious coin in the process. He did SOMETHING to get himself tossed off the team (ALABAMA ) just before the Sugar Bowl. That cost BAMA the game since they had to totally reshuffle the O line. He is one messed up kid right now.

From what i've read, I believe that it had something to do with entertaining agents or accepting gifts. I'm not 100% sure on that, but whatever it is, he certainly didn't do anything to quell the notions of having "character issues."

UTAH took Bama to the woodshed... While it HURT Bama, either way, they were on their way out back to the woodshed.

From what i've read, I believe that it had something to do with entertaining agents or accepting gifts. I'm not 100% sure on that, but whatever it is, he certainly didn't do anything to quell the notions of having "character issues."

The University, as they all do, was giving no info as to why the pre Sugar Bowl suspension. Frustrating.

I know we all were pretty much happy having a good O-Line (again) last year, but doesn't anybody else remember Favre getting crushed on almost every play? I know it was pretty good under Callahan but TBH our pass protection can definitely use an upgrade and if what Sperm Edwards has been saying about us moving Woody inside and finding a better option at RT we can be even better. Nobody knows better than us Jets fans how an unproven QB can look like Joe Montana when he has time to throw.

- Fire Mangini

check

- Hire Rex Ryan

check

- Fire Sutton

check

- Hire remaning coaching spots

check

- "Retire" Favre

check

- Cut Barret

check

- Cut Bowens

check

- Cut Kassell

check

- Cut Baker

check

- Cut Moore

uh ... excuse me ... run that one by me again

Hate this move...

WIth a young QB the OLine is the last thing we should've messed with..

Just when I was beginning to seriously doubt Mr. T. he goes ahead and does something stupid like this... great..

Our OL is not that great at pass blocking anyway.

When I saw this news I am very concerned with how this will shake up the line. There's absolutely NO way that the Jets are staying in house with Moore's replacement. The only other solution I think is that they'll draft OT in the first round. Think of it, high rookie prospect on a dominant line with 4 veterans. Can't do harm there. Woody has a 2 more years and maybe what they're thinking is that moving him to the inside will be better off since they were not planning on keeping Moore after his contract is up -- and get younger on the line. Does getting rid of more help that? Sort of yes, but I think they're doing it in hopes to have a LT C RT position locked up for years to come. After doing some research here's whose at RT that we can grab.

Eugene Monroe 6, 5 310 Virginia (Grade 97)

Jason Smith 6,4 300 Baylor (Grade 96)

Andre Smith 6,4 341 Alabama (Grade 95)

Michael Oher 6,5 309 Mississippi (Grade 93)

These are four top prospects who the Jets could get with their first pick. I hope that if this is their plan then it goes down like this, otherwise we can make this an Adrian Clarke situation

Why the **** would we do that though?

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that can justifry taking a RG/RT on a team that has so much needs in the first round. Spending first round money on a position that wasn't even a need a few days ago is ridiculous IMO. Moore IMO has been released for the simple reason that is to create cap room for free agency, Bart Scott especially.

Why the **** would we do that though?

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that can justifry taking a RG/RT on a team that has so much needs in the first round. Spending first round money on a position that wasn't even a need a few days ago is ridiculous IMO. Moore IMO has been released for the simple reason that is to create cap room for free agency, Bart Scott especially.

i have to agree.......why create a need that you feel is so pressing that you are gong to now devote your 1st round pick to it...when there was no reason to create the need in the first place then. i mean really what would be the sense in releasing moore just to go ahead and use your first round pick tp replace him...when there were already holes on the team that you needed to fill.

For those suggesting Woody at RG - Did you ever watch him play in Detroit? He was so bad there it was scary.

How did the great Brandon Moore look when playing next to Anthony Clement? How much better did Brick and Nick play with Faneca next to them? An OLine is a unit. A few sucky players surrounding a good one can make that good one look like sh*t also. Kind of like team defense in basketball. One guy could be a great defender, but if he is constantly worrying about helping out somewhere else due to a lack of confidence in the players around him, it slows him down and lessens him in his own duties. Woody was great playing with New England (at multiple positions), sucked with Detroit, and then great again with us. I think Detroit is the abberation, don't you?

I like Moore, always have when lots of others didn't. However, don't be surprised to see Woody move to RG (and play great) and us sign someone like Stacy Andrews who the Jets have loved for years and who Rex Ryan used to scheme blitzes against twice a season, every season. If not him, a high draft pick (maybe a 2nd rounder), or someone else.

With a young, inexperiened QB back there, pass protection will be essential. Woody can pass protect just as well from RG as Moore did and signing or drafting a RT could be a big upgrade over Woody's pass protection at RT.

Again, trust in Callahan. If Callahan didn't think we could survive and flourish without him, we would not be (allegedly) getting rid of him. Callahan is no idiot when it comes to OLines and both Rex and Tanny know that.

My gut tells me the Jets are having second thoughts about dupping Moore.

Seriously, if they were going to dump him they'd have done it already. Supposedly they met Friday afternoon with his agent and the meeting didn't go well. What's more to do than release him?

Hopefully Mike T is wisening up and telling Woody to just pay the man. Yes, Moore is not worth a $7 million roster bonus, but it's for the betterment of the team that he stays with them.

Seriously, if they were going to dump him they'd have done it already. Supposedly they met Friday afternoon with his agent and the meeting didn't go well. What's more to do than release him?

Hopefully Mike T is wisening up and telling Woody to just pay the man. Yes, Moore is not worth a $7 million roster bonus, but it's for the betterment of the team that he stays with them.

I've said all along that I don't believe this is happening. I have said that I fully expect Moore to be our starting RG this season. However, if he isn't, it is CERTAINLY not the end of the world.

Hate this move...

WIth a young QB the OLine is the last thing we should've messed with..

Just when I was beginning to seriously doubt Mr. T. he goes ahead and does something stupid like this... great..

The mistake was made back in 2007 when they signed him to an unnecessary extension basically as an FU to Pete Kendall. After going out and saying they dont extend players under contract they went and extended Moore when he was already under contract until, I believe, 2010. The Jets only screwed themselves by putting this ridiculous 5 million bonus in there in 2009 and then another 2 million in 2011, essentially granting him free agency after 2008 or 2010. This situation never would have come up if they just left his contract be. Its not like he had much leverage at the time.

The mistake was made back in 2007 when they signed him to an unnecessary extension basically as an FU to Pete Kendall. After going out and saying they dont extend players under contract they went and extended Moore when he was already under contract until, I believe, 2010. The Jets only screwed themselves by putting this ridiculous 5 million bonus in there in 2009 and then another 2 million in 2011, essentially granting him free agency after 2008 or 2010. This situation never would have come up if they just left his contract be. Its not like he had much leverage at the time.

He was threatening a hold out and left camp.

Funny that Moore did that in 2007, then Baker did it in 2008, now they might both be gone.

Either way, losing Moore would not be the end of the world and I still don't think it is even going to happen.

No need to release him until 3/5. HOLD ONTO HIM. Let the people who have the big coin spend it on OTHER guards, and the market dries up, and all of a sudden the Jets offer doesn't look bad.

I just don't like messing with a unit that was performing well.

HOWEVER, if the rest of the league thinks Moore's that great, and is worthy of $15M or more guaranteed (which seems to be the basement level of all new starters' contracts these days), then surely one of them will step up to the plate and make us a good trade offer for him.

Unless something was altered with his contract since April, this is what I have for Moore (which may mimic Jason's site; you can check):

2009:

$7M roster bonus (original $5M RB plus $2M RB escalator, which it seems that he's earned)

$620K base salary

$25K for making the pro bowl

$1M NLTBEs (whether earned or not, it got voided when he hit the $2M RB escalator)

2010:

$760K base salary

2011:

$2M RB on day 7 of season (~March 5th)

$2M salary

$250K w/o bonus

2012:

$1.75M RB on day 7 of season (~March 5th)

$1M salary

$250K w/o bonus

So here are his cap numbers for a team that trades for Brandon Moore prior to March 5th:

2009: $7.645 M

2010: $0.760 M

2011: $4.250 M

2012: $2.000 M

That's like signing him to a 4 year deal for $14.655M and if he ever sucks there is no cap penalty for cutting him (unless they pay him a RB and then cut him which is ludicrous). If he's all that, then teams with a need at OG should be falling all over themselves to give the Jets something decent in exchange for that sweetheart deal.

Half the teams in the league have $20M-40M in cap space (before releasing unwanted players of their own). So even the year-1 hit shouldn't preclude most teams from signing up for that deal with Moore.

Ultimately, this may be the goal, and the unofficial announcement (read: leak) that the Jets may release Brandon Moore is to get teams (who would be interested in him as a FA) to bypass competing bids and contract negotiations with Moore's agent, and make the Jets an offer. We'll find out over the next 2 weeks.

Everything you've said makes sense and I hope you're right. I want the O line intact for this year.

I just don't like messing with a unit that was performing well.

HOWEVER, if the rest of the league thinks Moore's that great, and is worthy of $15M or more guaranteed (which seems to be the basement level of all new starters' contracts these days), then surely one of them will step up to the plate and make us a good trade offer for him.

Unless something was altered with his contract since April, this is what I have for Moore (which may mimic Jason's site; you can check):

2009:

$7M roster bonus (original $5M RB plus $2M RB escalator, which it seems that he's earned)

$620K base salary

$25K for making the pro bowl

$1M NLTBEs (whether earned or not, it got voided when he hit the $2M RB escalator)

2010:

$760K base salary

2011:

$2M RB on day 7 of season (~March 5th)

$2M salary

$250K w/o bonus

2012:

$1.75M RB on day 7 of season (~March 5th)

$1M salary

$250K w/o bonus

So here are his cap numbers for a team that trades for Brandon Moore prior to March 5th:

2009: $7.645 M

2010: $0.760 M

2011: $4.250 M

2012: $2.000 M

That's like signing him to a 4 year deal for $14.655M and if he ever sucks there is no cap penalty for cutting him (unless they pay him a RB and then cut him which is ludicrous). If he's all that, then teams with a need at OG should be falling all over themselves to give the Jets something decent in exchange for that sweetheart deal.

Half the teams in the league have $20M-40M in cap space (before releasing unwanted players of their own). So even the year-1 hit shouldn't preclude most teams from signing up for that deal with Moore.

Ultimately, this may be the goal, and the unofficial announcement (read: leak) that the Jets may release Brandon Moore is to get teams (who would be interested in him as a FA) to bypass competing bids and contract negotiations with Moore's agent, and make the Jets an offer. We'll find out over the next 2 weeks.

Thanks so much Sperm. It all makes sense. Even if the Jets bite the bullet and pay him the RB this year it's a sweet deal after that. Or, as you said, they could entertain offers for him. Good position to be in.

I didn't think much of Moore until Callahan got a hold of him. He was so-so before. Now he's better than so-so (or was on a line with 4 other very talented players). But he's not an elite lineman, never was, and never will be. I like having consistency on the OL, but it's easier to find 1/5 of an OL than a starting CB or top-tier ILB who can cover TE's and stop the run and has the size/speed requisite for a coach that likes to flip-flop from a 3-4 front 7 to a 4-3 from play to play. Given that, four returning above average OL'men is plenty from one year to the next.

Here's the unwritten part of Moore's contract after he gets a $7M lump sum roster bonus from us (or anyone, should some team trade for him):

Brandon Moore will hold out the 2010 season without another significant contract renegotiation/raise after the 2009 season.

So despite what his contract says on paper, he will not make only $720K the year after he's paid a $7M roster bonus. He'll have enough money pocketed to sit out until November, get credit for the season & cost himself only about $500K. So he appears to be cheap in 2010, but no one's getting 16 games out of him for $720K.

Given that, it is fair to refer to his cost as $5M+ per year. Because that is what it will cost to keep him for the next 4 years. He's not worth that.

Part of the purpose of having 4 (non-bust) first round draft picks on the OL is you don't need a high-priced player for the 5th spot. Particularly at the spot that is probably the easiest on the line to fill.

I didn't think much of Moore until Callahan got a hold of him. He was so-so before. Now he's better than so-so (or was on a line with 4 other very talented players). But he's not an elite lineman, never was, and never will be. I like having consistency on the OL, but it's easier to find 1/5 of an OL than a starting CB or top-tier ILB who can cover TE's and stop the run and has the size/speed requisite for a coach that likes to flip-flop from a 3-4 front 7 to a 4-3 from play to play. Given that, four returning above average OL'men is plenty from one year to the next.

Here's the unwritten part of Moore's contract after he gets a $7M lump sum roster bonus from us (or anyone, should some team trade for him):

Brandon Moore will hold out the 2010 season without another significant contract renegotiation/raise after the 2009 season.

So despite what his contract says on paper, he will not make only $720K the year after he's paid a $7M roster bonus. He'll have enough money pocketed to sit out until November, get credit for the season & cost himself only about $500K. So he appears to be cheap in 2010, but no one's getting 16 games out of him for $720K.

Given that, it is fair to refer to his cost as $5M+ per year. Because that is what it will cost to keep him for the next 4 years. He's not worth that.

Part of the purpose of having 4 (non-bust) first round draft picks on the OL is you don't need a high-priced player for the 5th spot. Particularly at the spot that is probably the easiest on the line to fill.

Once again thanks Sperm. :sign0098:

For those suggesting Woody at RG - Did you ever watch him play in Detroit? He was so bad there it was scary.

The issue with Woody in Detroit was not that he couldn't handle the positions he was being asked to play, it was an issue of motivation. He was badly out of shape in Detroit, and once he lost his starting job it was the wake-up call that he needed to say "Hey, I better get in better shape or I'll be out of the league soon enough". We were just the ones in the right place at the right time to cash in on that.

There's no doubt in my mind that Woody could play RG well if we so chose.

I told you so.

Brandon Moore is a solid player, but that's a ton of coin. He HAS to be on the bubble. Hopefully they can work something out, but I'd bet that money could be better spent elsewhere. I spent 3 years defending him from attacks that he was a "must cut" and "anybody would be better" and now all of a sudden he is irreplaceable? I don't see it.

BTW, laughed my ass off at draft daddy's list of FA OG's with Kendall and Adrian Jones in the top 8. Something tells me those two are out of the question.

Archived