Braylon Edwards Traded To Jets: MERGED

PS17

When I listen to Mangini talk, ever he reminds me of a broken record. He's like Pee-wee Herman picking up his "word of the day" and repeat it in his press conference. Today's word of the day was "process". His monotoned attitude and lack of personality makes him unbearable to listen to but entertaining as a former Jet coach because of his pure stupidity. Thanks Mangini for Sanchez and Edwards

I hear ya. While I like him more now than I ever have due to the trades, I simply can't pay attention to him speaking. I drift off into thought within a min or two. Can you imagine what it must be like playing for him? No wonder we had that collapse last year.

I still can't believe Braylon is a Jet either Darklady. :P:p:p

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a question for the experts. How long does it take for a WR to assimilate into an offense? Favre took several weeks to gel with the team. I know it must be tougher for QBs to do that, but will Edwards hurt us badly in the first few weeks since he is not in sync with our QB and doesn't know our playbook?

all braylon has to really know to go out there and make an impact is what his route/assignment is. obviously the more he knows the playbook and develops some timing with sanchez the better he'll become.....but for right now, this guy is immensely talented. all he has to do is either block, or know what his route is and try to get open.

all braylon has to really know to go out there and make an impact is what his route/assignment is. obviously the more he knows the playbook and develops some timing with sanchez the better he'll become.....but for right now, this guy is immensely talented. all he has to do is either block, or know what his route is and try to get open.

I think his impact will be even simpler to notice than this. Think about how many times you even noticed Stuckey on the field. Opposing defenses were the same way. Braylon's presence alone will demand extra attention and should open the field up for the entire offense, regardless of whether or not he's targeted in any plays.

tannenbaum is a steel ball stallion.

I hope this move works like it could or many of the faithful will be calling out to change Tanny's stallion status and make him a gelding. I like his stones too and just hope that someone or group of people in the organization have talked to Edwards and see character above a guy who pops a 130 lb dude in front of a nightclub in the wee hours.

I hope this move works like it could or many of the faithful will be calling out to change Tanny's stallion status and make him a gelding. I like his stones too and just hope that someone or group of people in the organization have talked to Edwards and see character above a guy who pops a 130 lb dude in front of a nightclub in the wee hours.

I dont think that if this doesnt pan out that Tanny will get crucified. He's doing everything he can to make this team better and is currently fielding the most talented team I've ever seen us field since 98.

Also, I'm willing to bet the ranch that Rex and Rob talked about Braylon. Plus, Mangini and Tanny are great friends. When its all said and done, I know its a business but I dont think we would take anything that was cancerous in the locker room and I'm sure Rob would tell Rex otherwise. He's going to need a job next year when Mangini and company are fired.

And fwiw, I've seen a couple of interviews with folks that know him that claim he is a great guy and he was just in bad situation.

I watched his presser last night, and I like the things he's saying. Who knows? But I like that we arent affraid to make our roster stronger when given the opportunity.

opposite for me as a darksider and i tend to more harshly judge Jets players than others.

that being said, i've been bitching for years that we needed a true #1. Cotchery isn't and coles wasn't either. Braywards is. i'm salivating over here.

bonus points since i'm a umich alum. this has moss to NE written all over it. moss is a great talent, downgraded by numerous off-field issues, complicated by a lazy attitude and written off as washed up when playing for a team going nowhere. with something at stake, braylon will step up. he's got money, but what every nfl players wants - no matter how thug turdish - is a ring. he knows he's got a shot in NY. he's the biggest WR talent the jets have probably ever had. and he's going to play like it. tannenbaum is a steel ball stallion.

Did Edwards and his posse ever play Ball with The Reckless Bastards? :D

I dont think that if this doesnt pan out that Tanny will get crucified. He's doing everything he can to make this team better and is currently fielding the most talented team I've ever seen us field since 98.

Also, I'm willing to bet the ranch that Rex and Rob talked about Braylon. Plus, Mangini and Tanny are great friends. When its all said and done, I know its a business but I dont think we would take anything that was cancerous in the locker room and I'm sure Rob would tell Rex otherwise. He's going to need a job next year when Mangini and company are fired.

And fwiw, I've seen a couple of interviews with folks that know him that claim he is a great guy and he was just in bad situation.

I watched his presser last night, and I like the things he's saying. Who knows? But I like that we arent affraid to make our roster stronger when given the opportunity.

I'm hoping he does a "Moss Morph" too, Jif. Everything I read or hear about the guy kinda follows what Mortensen had to say and that is Edwards wants to be a celebrity first and a football player 2nd. Thats not comforting when he can leave practice and be in club in Manhattan not too long afterwards.

I hope Rex and some of the senior players can help this kid make a good transition.

Tony Richardson said a real smart thing that I wasn't focusing on - this can help Sanchez's development more than any single other factor. C'mon Braylon - step up and do it right here.

One of the better possible analogies I've seen compared Braylon's situation to that which brought Latrell Sprewell to the Knicks years ago. Here's a guy who choked his tool of a coach, and was universally thought to be cancer personified - only to become a model citizen and leader on the team.

Braylon hated Cleveland and hated Mangini even more. Maybe this is where he flourishes.

One of the better possible analogies I've seen compared Braylon's situation to that which brought Latrell Sprewell to the Knicks years ago. Here's a guy who choked his tool of a coach, and was universally thought to be cancer personified - only to become a model citizen and leader on the team.

Braylon hated Cleveland and hated Mangini even more. Maybe this is where he flourishes.

ya i agree,,i see this as a no brainer..somethin went south in cleveland with kid,,his fault for sure from a maturity POV, but I have NEVER seen a college talent like his..My son, JGBs, was at Univ of Michigan Law School during Edwards playing days so I saw him alot..damn, he can flat out dominate a game and abuse a DB to the point the DB is his biitch

Edwards' problems are:

1) ineffectiveness on the field, particularly given his ridiculous innate talent

2) team distraction

And it's in that order.

If he's a distraction off the field, it isn't good. But if he's showing up on Sundays it helps bury a lot of that crap. If he's a model team member and model citizen but is still dropping 1-2 passes every game then he can go join Gholston on the bench of wasted talent.

I'm hoping he does a "Moss Morph" too, Jif. Everything I read or hear about the guy kinda follows what Mortensen had to say and that is Edwards wants to be a celebrity first and a football player 2nd. Thats not comforting when he can leave practice and be in club in Manhattan not too long afterwards.

I hope Rex and some of the senior players can help this kid make a good transition.

Tony Richardson said a real smart thing that I wasn't focusing on - this can help Sanchez's development more than any single other factor. C'mon Braylon - step up and do it right here.

Agreed. And T.Rich is a vet who know what he talking about and what he says is true and its one of the reason why many of us wanted a big target for our young QB.

As far as the celebrity thing is concerned...I remember hearing him say when he got drafted that he was interested in getting into movies. Well, here's your stage Bryalon, play big and those things will come.

Seriously, check out the presser on the jets website. If he's sincere, this guy just wants to start over and be a badass for this team. He even says he realizes the rest will come if he performs.

Edwards' problems are:

1) ineffectiveness on the field, particularly given his ridiculous innate talent

2) team distraction

And it's in that order.

If he's a distraction off the field, it isn't good. But if he's showing up on Sundays it helps bury a lot of that crap. If he's a model team member and model citizen but is still dropping 1-2 passes every game then he can go join Gholston on the bench of wasted talent.

He dropped 16 last year - one a game. Still too many, though. He addressed this at his press conference, said he was going back to the basics to nip that bad habit in the bud. He didn't drop passes in college, but seems to've gotten lazy on a bad team. This is a new beginning for him, and he seems to recognize that. If he wants to be a big time celebrity, NY is the place to do that - especially catching passes from our heartthrob QB.

If he's going to ever get it together, he's going to get it together here.

He dropped 16 last year - one a game. Still too many, though. He addressed this at his press conference, said he was going back to the basics to nip that bad habit in the bud. He didn't drop passes in college, but seems to've gotten lazy on a bad team. This is a new beginning for him, and he seems to recognize that. If he wants to be a big time celebrity, NY is the place to do that - especially catching passes from our heartthrob QB.

If he's going to ever get it together, he's going to get it together here.

Saying you are going to stop dropping passes and doing it are two completely different things. The fact is, if you are thinking about dropping passes you are sunk. It's like fumbling, that **** comes naturally (hopefully doesn't come naturally) and when you have to think about it your production suffers.

I'd rather he say the right thing than the wrong thing, but in the long run what he says is almost irrelevant.

I don't think we can complain too much even if Braylon averages about a drop a game. He's still going to have WAY more of a positive impact on this team than Chansi Stuckey ever could.

Now, if we get production similar to what he had in 2007, this is an absolute heist, and will be the difference between us being a below average offense to being a top 10-12 offense.

Low risk, high reward.

Does anyone honestly believe that off the field behavior is a distraction once the ball is kicked off?

People really believe that?

even if the distraction isn't literally present at game time, it affects practice and preparation which definitely affects game performance. so yes, I believe it. of course there are varying levels of distraction.

even if the distraction isn't literally present at game time, it affects practice and preparation which definitely affects game performance. so yes, I believe it. of course there are varying levels of distraction.

What consitutes a distraction?

I mean yeah, Pac Man...but these guys are pro athletes...if their on the field performance is affected by Braylon Edwards being a "distraction" I mean come on...that's absurd.

Its like someone not wanting Manny in their lineup.

varying degrees... if a player's off field issues contribute to intractable attitude in practice/with team that can affect the whole team. an offense or defense is an interdependant unit, if one piece isn't pulling his weight or blowing assignments or not prepping properly because his personal life is a shambles than that affects the whole team.

just like us normal folks - if you're workin on a project at work and you are out drinking until 4am the night before your performance will suffer as will the whole team's.

I think the drops had a lot to do with sandbagging. This guy actually has a ton of highlight reel catches, it's to the point that he seems to have more trouble if someone throws him a good pass. Actually, if he drops a ton of passes, I say just have Revis train him and have him line up as the other CB. If you can't make it as a WR because your biggest problem is dropped passes, then you should be able to be a scary CB. Nobody denies the guy's talent for everything else. But in all seriousness, he could be a lot like Jenkins or Moss in that he sucks in podunk loser towns and needs decent coaching around him. He did show up that one MNF game last year, pretty much singlehandedly winning it.

I think the drops had a lot to do with sandbagging. This guy actually has a ton of highlight reel catches, it's to the point that he seems to have more trouble if someone throws him a good pass. Actually, if he drops a ton of passes, I say just have Revis train him and have him line up as the other CB. If you can't make it as a WR because your biggest problem is dropped passes, then you should be able to be a scary CB. Nobody denies the guy's talent for everything else. But in all seriousness, he could be a lot like Jenkins or Moss in that he sucks in podunk loser towns and needs decent coaching around him. He did show up that one MNF game last year, pretty much singlehandedly winning it.

I heard the drops can be attributed to him being bored and he was eating KFC on the sideline, hence the slippery digits.

180px-Chickenlover.jpg

Counts for nothing now, but I bet if we had Braylon Edwards (and Calvin Pace) 1 week earlier, we'd be sitting at 4-0 right now heading into Miami.

Oh well, we're fully loaded now. Destroy Miami!

u be right,,

scott said the saints played NINE,,count them, NINE guys in box vs us...

u be right,,

scott said the saints played NINE,,count them, NINE guys in box vs us...

I said that too, that's why I was so livid that the plan was to run TJ for 2 downs so often. Then they'd wait for 3rd down when they'd actually play off a bit to throw the ball.

It's funny how Schott abandons that dumb plan when the Jets are down 2 TDs, apparently knowing how stupid it is. As soon as the Jets get the ball back after going down 2 TDs, then the play action passes are called. At that point, down 2 TDs with time running out, the Saints pinned their ears back and just went to playing the pass. Usual Schotty genius right there, he's been doing this type of nonsense for years. He figures nobody would expect it, not taking into account that, indeed, they are expecting it and that's why they're playing to beat it.

I said that too, that's why I was so livid that the plan was to run TJ for 2 downs so often. Then they'd wait for 3rd down when they'd actually play off a bit to throw the ball.

It's funny how Schott abandons that dumb plan when the Jets are down 2 TDs, apparently knowing how stupid it is. As soon as the Jets get the ball back after going down 2 TDs, then the play action passes are called. At that point, down 2 TDs with time running out, the Saints pinned their ears back and just went to playing the pass. Usual Schotty genius right there, he's been doing this type of nonsense for years. He figures nobody would expect it, not taking into account that, indeed, they are expecting it and that's why they're playing to beat it.

I agree, Schotty still needs a better gameplan.

Counts for nothing now, but I bet if we had Braylon Edwards (and Calvin Pace) 1 week earlier, we'd be sitting at 4-0 right now heading into Miami.

I'd have to agree after hearing New Orleans was playing 9 men in the box for most of the game, according to Jet players and Rex.

i think the saints game might've been the straw that broke the camels back to convinnce tanny/rex of the necessity to make this move.

i think the saints game might've been the straw that broke the camels back to convinnce tanny/rex of the necessity to make this move.

Agreed. Tanny is willing to make the agressive move, but sometimes it takes a serious wake-up call. READ: Adrien Clarke.

They were talking for a while. I'm thinking it's a combination of that, and maybe the punch at LeBron's little buddy that helped make this trade happen. Both sides probably were a little more willing to compromise Monday morning.

Archived