Curtis Martin Will Be Our Honorary Captain For The AFC Championship Game

Darth Vader

Said On 1050 ESPN today.

He said he was thinking about coming out of retirement - temporarily - and suiting up for the coin toss...

Said it's all about Rex, who is the embodiment of the best of Parcells and Herm Edwards.

Said he's a Jet - and a Jet only - in his heart.

C-Mart suiting up would drive this team bananas. Wonder if the fact that he's a CAPTAIN for the game means he's going to be on the sidelines for the game.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/multimedia/video/72-jetstv-curtis-martin-highlights

Said On 1050 ESPN today.

He said he was thinking about coming out of retirement - temporarily - and suiting up for the coin toss...

Said it's all about Rex, who is the embodiment of the best of Parcells and Herm Edwards.

C-Mart suiting up would drive this team bananas. Wonder if the fact that he's a CAPTAIN for the game means he's going to be on the sidelines for the game.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/multimedia/video/72-jetstv-curtis-martin-highlights

do-not-want-dog.jpg

I'm all for nostalgia.. but this reminds me too much of 13 for 14 and a fumble

Said On 1050 ESPN today.

The Saints did this with McAlister last week. Well he didn't suit up, but he was signed just to come out with the team on the field (since they had 52 on their roster it didn't hurt them)

Just by walking out to midfield and back, he'll break his previous mark for yards gained in an AFC Championship Game.

HA! Thats freakin hilarious (and true)

And Vernon Gholston will be playing drums for The Who @ halftime show.

Would be nice if #12 could go out for the coin toss.

Well now that's just ridiculous.

He had 59 rushing yards back in the '96 AFC Championship for the Pats.

An NFL field is 160 feet wide, meaning that the distance from the sideline to midfield is roughly 27 yards. Add in the walk back and you're at 54 yards. Assuming that he's not standing right on the sideline, but at least 10 feet back from it, and you're over 60 yards round-trip.

I was fully aware of his statistics in the '96 AFC Championship Game and made my statement taking that into account, knowing that some assclown would think I was only referencing the Broncos game.

Can't believe all the hate for Curtis. This is awesome for me, one of my all time favorites.

Would love to get my hands on a authentic Martin jersey.

Most of this is tongue in cheek.. but it does bring back some bad memories of the last championship game..

Can't believe all the hate for Curtis. This is awesome for me, one of my all time favorites.

Would love to get my hands on a authentic Martin jersey.

He sucks. There are no other RB's in the history of the league that have been as terrible as him in the playoffs. Every RB I can recall lights it up in the Championship games.

An NFL field is 160 feet wide, meaning that the distance from the sideline to midfield is roughly 27 yards. Add in the walk back and you're at 54 yards. Assuming that he's not standing right on the sideline, but at least 10 feet back from it, and you're over 60 yards round-trip.

I was fully aware of his statistics in the '96 AFC Championship Game and made my statement taking that into account, knowing that some assclown would think I was only referencing the Broncos game.

Well you're making a lot of assumptions to support your convoluted theory, asshat. Not to mention desperately including yards when the man is not even on the field of play. By your definition we'd have to include every yard Martin stepped from the moment he came out to the field for the 96 AFC Championship in the analysis as well, which would certainly bring his total to well over 59 yards. Not to mention the fact that I'm beyond certain you didn't put the proper research in to find out about any yards gained that were negated by penalty of his teammates. Sloppy work JH, I'm disappointed.

Well you're making a lot of assumptions to support your convoluted theory, asshat. Not to mention desperately including yards when the man is not even on the field of play. By your definition we'd have to include every yard Martin stepped from the moment he came out to the field for the 96 AFC Championship in the analysis as well, which would certainly bring his total to well over 59 yards. Not to mention the fact that I'm beyond certain you didn't put the proper research in to find out about any yards gained that were negated by penalty of his teammates. Sloppy work JH, I'm disappointed.

My only assumption was that he is standing roughly where the benches are located, walks to midfield, and then turns around to return to the same location. Hopefully they bring back Mawae, Fabini, McKenzie, and Randy Thomas on Sunday so that they can clear a path for him to get there.

PS - You're a schween.

Curtis Martin is an overrated stat compiler, he's no where near an elite RB, he doesnt deserve the HOF and he has a horrible sense of direction.

There got that out of the way. Carry on.

Curtis Martin got those stats with a crap O Line. Put him behind THIS line and he's the next Tony Dorsett.

I'm surprised he isn't *pissed* to see this line perform after what he had to pound thru all those years.

Curtis Martin got those stats with a crap O Line. Put him behind THIS line and he's the next Tony Dorsett.

I'm surprised he isn't *pissed* to see this line perform after what he had to pound thru all those years.

Yes, Curtis Martin should be angered that he ran behind the #1 ranked (DVOA) run-blocking offensive line in 2004 when he won the rushing title. That same year, they also ranked 30th in the league in 10+ yards, which is the percentage of rushing yards gained 10 or more yards from the line of scrimmage. They were also second in the league in the least number of running plays in which the back was tackled at or behind the LOS.

Those numbers suggest that the line was largely responsible for Martin leading the league in rushing that season, as they were consistently winning at the point of attack. Leading the NFL in rushing attempts didn't hurt either...

As a point of comparison, the Jets line ranked 9th in run blocking DVOA this season... they finished ranked higher than that during 3 seasons while Martin was here.

Archived