New York Jets Sign Brodney Pool

idahojetsfan

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a steal of a pick-up. If Pool recovers from his concussion he will be BETTER than Rhodes (2008-present version) and will help this defense big time with his hard hitting and big play making ability. He is what we wanted in Rhodes. The key for Brondey is staying healthy. A 1 year tryout at $1.3 million is a STEAL.

traffic-cone.jpg

This is more productive than Rhodes 2008-Present.

where'd you hear this?

Dude, the quote and link are in my original post. Not much research required. It was speculation by a reporter based on Rob Ryan's quote about needing a smart FS.

agreed Joe...also to 27 Dom-I could care less how he scores on a Wonderlic test, all I know is he holds guys to 45% completion % compared to Rhodes' 2 out of every 3 thrown his way that get completed.

I don't care about his wonderlic. They were talking about football smarts and my point was that Mangini dumped or didn't go after plenty of quality players because they didn't fit his mold, based mostly on intelligence and character.

Did you read my post Jimmy? I said I like the signing and I'm not even sure he'll start.

Nah...Now that we cut Sheppard and Strickland, we're going to need some more depth at that position still. If either Cro or Revis get banged up, I dont trust either Lowery or Coleman to step up into that roll. I think it would be a great idea if they brought either Strickland or Sheppard back on the cheap after the draft though....

We cut Striclkand? Crap, how did I miss that? I liked that guy

not a big fan of the move Al..while he was often hurt I still think he is a good player. Meanwhile the Jets are pursuing guys with concussion issues..lol

Rather have a guy with head problems than leg problems. Hell, Rhodes had head problems for 4 years and we let him play back there.

not a big fan of the move Al..while he was often hurt I still think he is a good player. Meanwhile the Jets are pursuing guys with concussion issues..lol

It's just odd to me to equate Strickland's issue of chronic leg injuries to Pool's concusion issues.

They're completely different types of injuries.

Strickland would run, and hurt his leg. He'd bend down, and hurt his leg. Pool gets a wrong hit, then he has a concusion.

Pool can run without any fear of hurting himself. The same can't be said about Strickland. While Pool may be more susceptible to a concusion, that susceptibility is not as high has Strickland hurting his legs again.

In a nut shell, Strickland is a greater risk of recurring injury by doing football related physical activity like running and jumping.

I really need to come off the Rhodes stuff ..... but not till Gato admits he sucks balls ....

So you'll be doing it for years, possibly.

Concussions are a b*tch, but Tanny said on Boomer and Carton that they had an EXPERT analyze it. If an expert said it we should be fine.

Dude, the quote and link are in my original post. Not much research required. It was speculation by a reporter based on Rob Ryan's quote about needing a smart FS.

I don't care about his wonderlic. They were talking about football smarts and my point was that Mangini dumped or didn't go after plenty of quality players because they didn't fit his mold, based mostly on intelligence and character.

Did you read my post Jimmy? I said I like the signing and I'm not even sure he'll start.

it was early Dom...but hey regardless of whether or not Pool met Mangini's standards or not doesn't mean anything to the Jets. We watched for a decade as the team was more concerned with "character" and "Jets' core values" whatever the eff that meant. All I'm saying is the dude can play football bro. Besides, Mangini has a tendency to outsmart himself sometimes. Again, Pool's 45.5 completion % when he's defending a pass compared to Rhodes' 66.7%-he's better player

it was early Dom...but hey regardless of whether or not Pool met Mangini's standards or not doesn't mean anything to the Jets. We watched for a decade as the team was more concerned with "character" and "Jets' core values" whatever the eff that meant. All I'm saying is the dude can play football bro. Besides, Mangini has a tendency to outsmart himself sometimes. Again, Pool's 45.5 completion % when he's defending a pass compared to Rhodes' 66.7%-he's better player

And besides even that, Pool will not have the responsibility of making the defensive calls on this team, that job rests in the very capable hands of Jim Leonhard. Sure he needs to know the formations, plays, and responsibilities, but as long as he can get that down (and there's no reason to believe he can't), he'll be just fine.

June 29, 2009

Qey, Tony: Safety Mike Brown visited the Browns. What is the story? Are the Browns going to sign him? - Angelo Costanzo, Cleveland

Aey, Angelo: The Kansas City Chiefs signed him Thursday, but I do get the feeling the Browns are not quite comfortable with their free safety situation. Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said it's a very difficult position in the Browns' scheme. I sense they will continue to look for a smarter player to man that position, currently held down by Brodney Pool.

this might help to explain Rhodes feeling under-appreciated at his position coming off of mangini's scheme the year before. Rhodes is a smart player and free safety in Rex's scheme needs to be more physical and instinctive then cerebral. pool might be a better fit.

RT @DWAZ73: Pool's agent tells AP that $1.3M deal includes $1.2M guaranteed. Also says Pool has had ONE confirmed concussion not 4, 30 minutes ago via HootSuite

Of course everyone knows that agents are chronic liars. The key word here is

So Rob didn't think highly of the player either, and let his brother take him?

To be technical, that's exactly what happened. If Rob wanted the guy he'd have kept him. Rob's still there. The guy was an RFA. It's a 1 year deal at a fairly low salary. Different system. Rex is attack-attack. Mangini/Rob are more cerebral. You don't remember Mangini passing on any highly rated/good players because they didn't fit the "Mangini-mold"?

FWIW, I checked a few articles about the Browns secondary and did not see any concussion problems mentioned before this season.

It's just odd to me to equate Strickland's issue of chronic leg injuries to Pool's concusion issues.

They're completely different types of injuries.

Strickland would run, and hurt his leg. He'd bend down, and hurt his leg. Pool gets a wrong hit, then he has a concusion.

So you're saying Strickland gets injured more easily than Pool gets a concussion. Maybe more frequently, yes, but they say once you have a concussion, it's easier to have the next one, and so on.

It's just a matter of time, because a helmet can only help so much, and his aggressive style of play hopefully won't change.

Very questionable signing, IMO.

Great signing, Jets! We get a guy with first round type talent at bargain basemanet prices. If he craps out, you cut him or put him on IR and move someone else in. For what it cost us and the potential upside, it was a no brainer. We will probably draft a safety in the first 4 rounds who will study to be Pool's eventual replacement. I don't see much risk for the Jets here (I do see risk for Pool, but I am a Jets fan not a Pool fan).

So you're saying Strickland gets injured more easily than Pool gets a concussion. Maybe more frequently, yes, but they say once you have a concussion, it's easier to have the next one, and so on.

It's just a matter of time, because a helmet can only help so much, and his aggressive style of play hopefully won't change.

Very questionable signing, IMO.

IMO the big difference is that you can have nagging leg injuries that hamper his play. The concussion should be all okay or out. At the point where a concussion is hampering play the guy should be sitting.

I also think that multiple concussions often come in groups because they never let the guy heal properly. With what we've heard about the Browns medical staff you have to wonder. Pool's agent says 1 concussion not 4. This is a player that has been in the league since 2005. He missed 3 games in '05, played all 16 in '06 and '07, 15 in '08 and 11 in 2009. I don't see how he's had this insane concussion history. If they've been playing him then shame on them.

You can't complain about this signing. Long story short he comes with some risk, but because that risk we sign him at a low price. The guy has proven when on the field he can play ball and fits into our style of defense. Additionally, it frees us up for the draft even a little more.

Additionally, it frees us up for the draft even a little more.

That's what I love about Tannenbaum...slowly we can get off of this "we HAVE to draft position X in the first round."

I hope we trade down and get a bunch of good young guys. Maybe a personal favorite of mine or two...Kendrick Lewis...Oghobaase...Greg Hardy...something.

That's what I love about Tannenbaum...slowly we can get off of this "we HAVE to draft position X in the first round."

I hope we trade down and get a bunch of good young guys. Maybe a personal favorite of mine or two...Kendrick Lewis...Oghobaase...Greg Hardy...something.

do you like that guy Oldrick from PSU that they were talking about us drafting yesterday on Path To The Draft Gato?

not a big fan of the move [to cut Strickland] Al..while he was often hurt I still think he is a good player. Meanwhile the Jets are pursuing guys with concussion issues..lol

Strickland reached the end of his hamstring with the Jets in the AFC Championship Game.

You can't complain about this signing. Long story short he comes with some risk, but because that risk we sign him at a low price. The guy has proven when on the field he can play ball and fits into our style of defense. Additionally, it frees us up for the draft even a little more.

I know I've been negative on this, but I don't hate it by any means. I was okay with Smith/Ihedigbo and a mid round draft pick. If the Jets were thinking high pick before acquiring Pool, then this is a good move. If he plays well and survives the year, it could be a high quality signing.

Strickland reached the end of his hamstring with the Jets in the AFC Championship Game.

I know I've been negative on this, but I don't hate it by any means. I was okay with Smith/Ihedigbo and a mid round draft pick. If the Jets were thinking high pick before acquiring Pool, then this is a good move. If he plays well and survives the year, it could be a high quality signing.

I wasn't trying to single you out slats. I guess my point was that I feel there's more upside to this than down. He gets hurt, we were expecting it. I still can't foresee us not getting a safety especially if the value for one is there in the draft.

I wasn't trying to single you out slats. I guess my point was that I feel there's more upside to this than down. He gets hurt, we were expecting it. I still can't foresee us not getting a safety especially if the value for one is there in the draft.

I didn't think you were. It's cool!

Just used your post to help get my feelings out there. From what I can see, we're in agreement. :cheers:

Pool's agent says 1 concussion not 4.
Sure, anything to boost his value.

This is a player that has been in the league since 2005. He missed 3 games in '05, played all 16 in '06 and '07, 15 in '08 and 11 in 2009. I don't see how he's had this insane concussion history. If they've been playing him then shame on them.

Good points.

Not too shabby. Obviously the Jets need to be careful with his health, but he absolutely fills the role left open with Rhodes departure and gets one year to prove that health isn't an ongoing issue. I like the signing. Also helps give the Jets more versatility in the draft.

I like the signing but really we just swapped out Strickland and Sheppard beacause they couldn't stay healthy. I'm hoping it's not the same with Poole.

He came cheap so it's not a bad signing for us at all.

As for the draft i can't see changing the thinking on picking a DB since the uncertainty of Pooles health will always be an issue.

Either we bring in another safety in FA or we are going that route in the draft.

Archived