Only regret of the offseason so far....

rollingrock49

I think the Jets will wind up with a guy like Bulger, or some other QB who gets cut in the summer. I believe Kellen was tendered just to protect themselves in case no one else comes along. Even if he signs that tender, he's no lock to make the roster. I'd have to double-check, but I'm almost certain that RFA tenders aren't guaranteed.

I think the Jets will wind up with a guy like Bulger, or some other QB who gets cut in the summer. I believe Kellen was tendered just to protect themselves in case no one else comes along. Even if he signs that tender, he's no lock to make the roster. I'd have to double-check, but I'm almost certain that RFA tenders aren't guaranteed.

I disagree. I think Clemens was tendered so they could get something for his worthless ass if anyone was dumb enough to sign him.

the QB market is so tight there are no good cheap veterans to sign

any1 with any talent can get a shot at a starting job

for example SD QB charlie whitehurst is a hot property, doesn't play at all, and is choosing between several good offers...

so the Jets might want to upgrade Clemens but there's no one to upgrade to

besides he does a decent job at holding so there's that.

as a side note the idea of ANY NFL player mentoring another NFL player is super rare. It happens very occasionally like when Revis learned from Coles or when Chad helped Clemens... but by and large these guys are selfish, and the last thing they would do is help a young buck steal their job.

Losing Thomas Jones is my only regret..... Sure LT is a hall of famer, but no doubt his best years are probably in his rear view mirror. Our O-line should be able to improve his productivity but we had a very productive back that we could have kept for the same money we paid LT. I just don't get it......

Losing Thomas Jones is my only regret..... Sure LT is a hall of famer, but no doubt his best years are probably in his rear view mirror. Our O-line should be able to improve his productivity but we had a very productive back that we could have kept for the same money we paid LT. I just don't get it......

LT behind the JETS Oline >>>> TJ behind the JETS Oline

What LT means for Leon

By Rich Cimini

The underplayed angle to the LaDainian Tomlinson signing is the impact on Leon Washington, currently a restricted free agent rehabbing from his horrific leg injury. The Jets won't say it because they have too much respect for Washington, one of the most popular players on the team, but the addition of Tomlinson is a clear indication they're not confident that Leon can be the Leon of old -- at least not right away. It also provides insurance in the event Washington signs a whopper of an offer sheet with another team, although that doesn't appear likely because of his injury.

GM Mike Tannenbaum said he expects Washington to be 100% by the preseason, but you don't sign an iconic running, albeit a fading icon, and give him $2.6 million a year to be an afterthought/insurance policy. This isn't a criticism of the Jets -- they're practicing good business -- but it says a lot about how they feel about Washington. I'm sure they're rooting like crazy for him to make it all the way back, but actions speak louder than words. If the Jets were convinced that he'd be the old Leon, they would've signed a lower-tier running back (as a No. 3) instead of Tomlinson.

The Jets believe Tomlinson catches the ball well enough to be a third-down back, Washington's old gig. The lack of a dependable pass-catching back, after Washington's injury, really hurt the offense and QB Mark Sanchez last season. I'm figuring that Greene and Tomlinson combine for at least 25 touches a game, which wouldn't leave much for Washington.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I spoke to Greene yesterday by phone and he said the prospect of starting ahead of a future Hall of Famer like Tomlinson will be "absolutely weird." Greene said he was a huge Tomlinson fan while growing up in South Jersey and can recall watching LT's games at TCU.

Greene said he has met Tomlinson once, and it occurred in San Diego, of all places. The Chargers brought him in last spring for a pre-draft interview and he bumped into Tomlinson at the facility. Instead of replacing LT in San Diego, which probably would've happened this coming season if they had drafted him, Greene is sharing the same backfield with him in New York. Now that's weird.

Tannenbaum has too much respect for Thomas Jones to list the reasons why they released him, but here is the thought process that went into the Tomlinson-for-Jones swap:

They were alarmed by Jones' dramatic decline at the end of last season, when he averaged only 2.7 ypc over the final four games. They believe Tomlinson is a better pass catcher and Jones, and they feel Tomlinson will handle a complementary role better than Jones. Although the numbers don't back it up, the Jets quite simply felt Tomlinson has more in his tank than Jones. Plus, they're saving a few bucks.

The Jets/Brandon Marshall rumors refuse to go away even there are people familiar with the Jets' thinking who say the team has absolutely no interest in Marshall. Of course, I remember when there was the same sentiment about the possibility of the Jets trading for Brett Favre, and look how that turned out.

If the Jets did get Marshall, they'd probably have to trade WR Braylon Edwards, a restricted free agent, and they'd be hard-pressed to get back what they gave up -- a No. 3 pick, a No. 5 and two players.

Tannenbaum says he expects Edwards to show up next week for the start of the off-season program. We'll see.

By adding a RB (Tomlinson), a CB (Antonio Cromartie) and a S (Brodney Pool) to replace Kerry Rhodes, the Jets' draft plans are starting to come into focus. They're thinking D-line with the 29th pick, and the names I'm hearing are Penn State DT/DE Jared Odrick (6-5, 304), Northwestern DE Corey Wootton (6-6, 270) and Florida DE Carlos Dunlap (6-6, 277).

"This is a very good year for defensive linemen," one GM told me.

as a side note the idea of ANY NFL player mentoring another NFL player is super rare. It happens very occasionally like when Revis learned from Coles or when Chad helped Clemens... but by and large these guys are selfish, and the last thing they would do is help a young buck steal their job.

I didn't realize Coles played cornerback...

I think the Jets are going to sit tight with the QB situation. Sanchez is only being asked to manage the game. The offense will still be run heavy. Sanchez might throw a little more if he doesn't turn the ball over, but we will still be a running offense. Clemens could be called on to manage the game if Sanchez is out for a few games.

I hope the Jets re-sign Marques Douglas.

I'm a little concerned about our punter/kicker situation. not sure how/when the Jets will handle this, probably after teams trim back their rosters and make more significant cuts.

I'm not in favor of trading for B. Marshall. I'm not concerned about our WRs, but if we draft a WR in the 2nd or 4th round then fine.

Without expecting much from the draft to impact this season, I think the key positions to fill now are DL, kicker and punter.

I disagree. I think Clemens was tendered so they could get something for his worthless ass if anyone was dumb enough to sign him.

I don't think they're engaging in that type of wishful thinking! :lol:

Love to see someone offer the Jets anything for him, though.

Kellen still being our #2. Hated that he was tendered. Team needs a vet backup that they can have confidence in and someone that can also help mentor Sanchez. WHy is kellen still here?

Enough with bringing someone in to mentor Sanchez. The guy went to the

AFC championship. If they bring in a vet QB chances on that guy never was in

a playoff game. Sanchez could mentor him.

Enough with bringing someone in to mentor Sanchez. The guy went to the

AFC championship. If they bring in a vet QB chances on that guy never was in

a playoff game. Sanchez could mentor him.

and besides Senior, it's slim pickins out there at that position

I think LT will have over 4 yards a carry with the Jets but I still have misgivings about getting rid of TJ and paying LT close to the same amount. Its true that TJ wore down at the end of the year but being the backup to Shonn Greene would have prevented him from wearing down next year. And TJ has 1/3 fewer career touches than LT, between the two of them its LT who is a bigger threat to wear down at the end.

I think LT will have over 4 yards a carry with the Jets but I still have misgivings about getting rid of TJ and paying LT close to the same amount. Its true that TJ wore down at the end of the year but being the backup to Shonn Greene would have prevented him from wearing down next year. And TJ has 1/3 fewer career touches than LT, between the two of them its LT who is a bigger threat to wear down at the end.

I posted a Cimini article this morning that laid out the Jets thinking on TJ BB...let me see if I can find the parts I highlighted...here it is;

Tannenbaum has too much respect for Thomas Jones to list the reasons why they released him, but here is the thought process that went into the Tomlinson-for-Jones swap:

They were alarmed by Jones' dramatic decline at the end of last season, when he averaged only 2.7 ypc over the final four games. They believe Tomlinson is a better pass catcher and Jones, and they feel Tomlinson will handle a complementary role better than Jones. Although the numbers don't back it up, the Jets quite simply felt Tomlinson has more in his tank than Jones. Plus, they're saving a few bucks.

also; LT has never had a major surgery in his career and has stayed pretty much healthy-he may have gotten a little fat...

I agree with the quote in bold -which is reason enough to make the move- but disagree with the rest.

Jones had a decline, but it had a lot to do with the fact that he'd already rushed for over 1100 yards for the year at that point. He also had some sort of injury he was playing thru. Give him a smaller role for the season, and he's not going to be that worn down at the end. Tomlinson, OTOH, has been worn down for a couple years now.

And if it's true that they were given the opportunity to match his KC contract, then LT didn't save them any money, either.

-Resign Marques Douglas

-Trade for BMarshall (our second rounder in 2011 and some third day pick)

-Tanny be bold and resign some of our long-term talents like Revis, Harris and Mangold to front-loaded contracts to free up future cap

-And although it can't be a regret since it hasn't happened I would like to see the Jets draft Jared Odrick and Nate Allen, followed by a corner in the fourth. If this doesn't happen then it too will be a regret.

-Resign Marques Douglas

-Trade for BMarshall (our second rounder in 2011 and some third day pick)

-Tanny be bold and resign some of our long-term talents like Revis, Harris and Mangold to front-loaded contracts to free up future cap

-And although it can't be a regret since it hasn't happened I would like to see the Jets draft Jared Odrick and Nate Allen, followed by a corner in the fourth. If this doesn't happen then it too will be a regret.

Exactly....gotta take advantage of the uncapped year and max out whatever he can to get the young building blocks locked up for years to come.

Archived