Ryan: LT Slated for 15 Carries Per Game

Bleedin Green

Rex Ryan's vision of the 2010 Jets backfield will be music to LaDainian Tomlinson's ears, and should be nails on a chalkboard for Jets fans. And Leon Washington's agent.

"What we should do with [Washington], in my opinion, is put him back to his role which he had initially, which is third-down back, a change-of-pace type back, and a Pro Bowl returner. And there's nothing wrong with that," Ryan said to Bob Glauber of Newsday Tuesday.

It makes sense to work Washington into the mix slowly, but he should be a huge part of the offense again when healthy. At least Tomlinson will be the clear backup to Shonn Greene, right?

"Hypothetically, we'd see [Tomlinson] carry the ball 15 times a game," Ryan said. "We're just going to ground and pound away. I'm sure some games he'll have more rushing attempts than Shonn Greene, and I think Shonn will have more than L.T. in other games."

I don't even need go to the stats to explain why Greene should be getting a lot more touches than Tomlinson. Go back and watch the Jets-Chargers playoff game.

Handing Tomlinson 15 carries a game at the expense of his younger teammates will be doing Jets opponents a favor.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/23/ryan-tomlinson-slated-for-15-carries-a-game/

I find this kind of interesting. Of course, part of it could just be placating LT's ego for the time being. Another part could very well be the Jets intentions of continuing to run the ball endlessly (and possibly without Leon around). I also wonder if perhaps he was more talking in terms of "touches" since I see LT being much more involved in the passing game than any of the Jets backs were last year.

I don't like the idea THAT much. I'd be fine with giving LT carries when Greene needs rest, and when Tomlinson has the hot hand. Fifteen seems like too many though.

Greene is better and younger, he should be getting more carries. Like the article says, if the Jets are gonna pencil in LT for 15 EVERY game, they'd be doing a favor for the opposition. They should just let the running game come to them, like the Giants did in '08 with Ward, Jacobs, and Bradshaw.

EDIT: Just saw this quote from the article; "We're just going to ground and pound away. I'm sure some games he'll have more rushing attempts than Shonn Greene, and I think Shonn will have more than L.T. in other games."

That makes a lot more sense.

I don't like the idea THAT much. I'd be fine with giving LT carries when Greene needs rest, and when Tomlinson has the hot hand. Fifteen seems like too many though.

Greene is better and younger, he should be getting more carries. Like the article says, if the Jets are gonna pencil in LT for 15 EVERY game, they'd be doing a favor for the opposition. They should just let the running game come to them, like the Giants did in '08 with Ward, Jacobs, and Bradshaw.

idk....i'm sure he won't actually be going in-game with a concrete number of carries he needs to dish ou tto either rb. i do like the idea of not running greenes legs into the ground all year though.

idk....i'm sure he won't actually be going in-game with a concrete number of carries he needs to dish ou tto either rb. i do like the idea of not running greenes legs into the ground all year though.

Agree 100%

Part of the reason Greene looked so good at the end of last year was his limited carries early in the year. If hes splitting with LT and we're still winning games as the year winds down he'll still be going full throttle.

If we aren't winning games with LT carrying the ball that much then I doubt the team will stay with that plan for very long.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/23/ryan-tomlinson-slated-for-15-carries-a-game/

I find this kind of interesting. Of course, part of it could just be placating LT's ego for the time being. Another part could very well be the Jets intentions of continuing to run the ball endlessly (and possibly without Leon around). I also wonder if perhaps he was more talking in terms of "touches" since I see LT being much more involved in the passing game than any of the Jets backs were last year.

I think you touched upon it somewhat. It could be a message to LW to get his butt in camp if the Jets do have him in their plans.

There will be games in which LT has more carries than Greene because behind this Offensive Line LT is almost certain to catch lightning in a bottle for a little bit of time and play like his old self.

I'm very excited to see him behind the best OLine in the NFL compared to one in the bottom half of the league.

There will be games in which LT has more carries than Greene because behind this Offensive Line LT is almost certain to catch lightning in a bottle for a little bit of time and play like his old self.

I'm very excited to see him behind the best OLine in the NFL compared to one in the bottom half of the league.

He's gotta be faster than TJ right? I mean, he's gotta at least be as good as him.. TJ just ran through holes, never actually broke tackles. TJ and LT are both probably solid pass blockers. LT might even be better. I think it all comes down to how much heart LT has left and I think Rex Ryan is the man to max that heart out. Norv Turner looks like a boring ass, somewhat lifeless coach so I don't think he was lighting any fires under anyone's asses.. seemed like that was Rivers' job.

Shonn Greene didn't look very durable last year so I don't think the other backs on the team will have any problem getting their carries. And even with LT signed I would still like to draft McKnight or Stafon Johnson later on. LT is another guy who has had injury problems. I predict by the end of next season Jet fans will finally appreciate Thomas Jones' durability.

I dont see why this is such a surprise. He's LT. He's the only proven back on our squad. We dont know that Greene wasnt just a flash in the pan. He's clearly got durability problems. The more I read, the more it looks like Leon is gone.

Rex is dead serious. LT is going to get a lot of carries.

I like it. Seriously, how can you not give a guy like that a shot to be a big part of the offense? Sure he hasn't been as good for the last 2 years, but its f'in Ladainian Tomlinson. If he's not effective, he won't get as many touches. But you have to give him a shot.

If this is the case, which I don't believe, I think it's offically time to trade Leon Washington. I love Leon Washington with all my heart, but he's barely going to play. This is getting complicated. I'll take a 2nd quick for Leon even though I'm aganist trading him.

Fifteen rushes a game translates to 240 a year. Last year, Greene and Leon combined for 180 rushes in a season where the Jets out-rushed the entire league by a wide margin with over 600 rushing attempts. In 2011, I expect fewer rushing attempts overall for the Jets - maybe in the 550 range.

LT carried the ball 223 times last year, and -personally- I think that was way too many carries for him. But the Jets could definitely feel that he's up to that kind of workload.

I'm thinking this not only squeezes Leon out, but also shows something of a lack of confidence in Greene. Greene became the de facto starter when TJ was let loose, but now Rex is talking about splitting the RB job between Shonn and LaDainian about evenly.

Like slats, I don't believe the Jets will be as run heavy as before based on how much Rex is talking up Sanchez (he heaped praise on him again to Cimini).

The Jets led the NFL in carries. I don't see that as happening again. Plus, if LT has 15 carries a game that's only 240 carries for the season (which is waaaayyy less than the number of carries TJ had).

Leon's role as 3rd down back as Rex said would mean Leon would get the short number of carries, but may get more touches from the passing game.

I'm looking at 2 things (Jets total rushing attemps at 607--which led the NFL--and the Panthers running model). There was an article last year which mentioned that Callahan studied how the Panthers used their 2 backs and tried to use that as a templet for Leon and Jones.

Stewart had 221 attempts and Williams had 216. The Panthers rushed the ball 525 times.

Getting LT and Greene in the low 200s each would do them both well. The Jets would lower their overall carries with that approach with Leon being a 3rd down back (something he wasn't last year).

Getting LT and Greene in the low 200s each would do them both well. The Jets would lower their overall carries with that approach with Leon being a 3rd down back (something he wasn't last year).

I definitely believe the Jets are squeezing Leon out. I think Rex is making these kinds of statements about Leon's role publicly to further entice him and his agent to seek out other offers. I think the Jets would jump at a second rounder for him this year.

I also think the Jets will be open to trading him up until the trading deadline. Jets spent a 2011 2nd or 3rd on Cromartie, I think they'd be very happy to get that pick back for Leon, too.

All that said, they'd also probably be perfectly happy to let him play out his tender here. It's cheap for a player of his caliber.

But I could see them just about splitting the carries for Greene and Tomlinson down the middle by having Greene handle 1st and 2nd downs, and LT handle 3rd downs, obvious passing, and goal line situations. Rex has praised LT's pass blocking skills, is he really going to take him out on 3rd down? Just don't see room for Leon in the rotation.

I'm thinking rex is sending a message to LW that we want you but we don't NEED you. I'm also sure he is trying to motivate LT with his words. We all know Greene is the man but let's understand that SG hasn't handled the starting role yet and couldn't stay healthy in a half season last year, so our running game is still a ? going into the season.

I would not get too excited about this. This is just Rex talking. Not exactly the final blueprint for the season. There are four big unknowns that will factor in:

1. How much does LT really have left?

2. How will LT look running behind the Jets on-line?

3. How much endurance does Green have?

4. Will Leon be here, and if so, will he be 100%?

I would not get too excited about this. This is just Rex talking. Not exactly the final blueprint for the season. There are four big unknowns that will factor in:

1. How much does LT really have left?

2. How will LT look running behind the Jets on-line?

3. How much endurance does Green have?

4. Will Leon be here, and if so, will he be 100%?

Archived