Fish not afraid of Jets

flgreen

Miami Dolphins are not concerned by New York Jets' moves

get_flash_player.gif

6058404.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG

Miami Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown takes the snap out of the Wildcat in the third quarter of a game against the New York Jets on Monday, Oct. 12, 2009 at Land Shark Stadium. JOE RIMKUS JR. / STAFF PHOTO

clear.gif

WEB VOTE Who was the Miami Dolphins' best player during the 2000s? RB Ronnie Brown DE/LB Jason Taylor LB Zach Thomas RB Ricky Williams Someone else

Your vote has been counted, thank you for voting.

By Armando Salguero

asalguero@MiamiHerald.com

It has been a truly entertaining NFL summer, with much of the fun and frolic delivered by the world champion New York Jets.

Oh, did you miss the news? The Jets have crowned themselves the offseason champions again, so it's only correct to acknowledge them as such until evidence proves otherwise.

Evidence will begin to pour in starting in the regular season.

Until then, the Jets are the NFL's best team. Just ask them.

Quarterback Mark Sanchez talks of February visits to the White House to celebrate the coming title, coach Rex Ryan fuels the high-expectations fire every time he conducts a news conference.

No one knows what form the next New York boast will take, but we do know when it will happen: next time one of them opens his mouth.

BEST IN NFL?

The latest slice of Jets bombast came this week from linebacker Bart Scott, who said the goal of the Jets defense is to be the best in the NFL. ``Ever,'' he reportedly added at the end of the sentence.

So what are we frightened South Floridians to do with such a menacing storm of NFL talent amassing on our shores for a fall blitz?

What are the Dolphins to do against a mighty New York team that spent the offseason making Super Bowl tweaks while Miami's bunch spent their offseason unsuccessfully trying to avoid arrest?

Turns out the Dolphins don't seem too concerned about the Jets and their embarrassment of talent riches. Turns out the Dolphins, who swept the Jets last season, aren't too concerned about their greatest rival at all.

``Who?'' running back Ronnie Brown said dismissively when someone wanted to know his opinion of New York's many additions.

The Jets, the questioner repeated. ``Who?'' Brown responded again for effect.

Nose tackle Jason Ferguson, a veteran of 13 NFL offseasons, can appreciate great roster building when he sees it. But ask him if the Jets are the best team in the AFC East and he looks at you like you're an exotic zoo exhibit.

``The Dolphins!'' Ferguson answers. ``Yeah, we are.''

Is that what he thinks? Does Ferguson really think the Dolphins are the best team in the AFC East today?

``Why wouldn't I?'' he said. ``I'm not going to say no other team is better than us. I think we did what we were supposed to do. We're out here and working hard. We're building a foundation like they are. I'm not going to crown them the offseason champs right now.''

These two teams got into a debate about offseason championships last year. That discussion was meaningless as both stumbled into December. Then the Jets finished with two consecutive victories and played well in the playoffs, and Miami slumped with three season-ending losses.

This offseason, the debate isn't quite so personal because the Jets fancy themselves in a different orbit than the Dolphins. Reaching the AFC title game apparently does that for a team.

And although the Jets have all but announced they will be playing for a Lombardi Trophy, the Dolphins haven't even announced if they will show up for 2010.

DIFFERENT MANAGEMENT

That speaks to the personality of the men atop each organization.

But the players in Miami don't view themselves as outclassed by their New York counterparts.

Cornerback Sean Smith, a rookie a year ago, got to talking Friday about matching up with veteran New York receiver Braylon Edwards in their two 2009 meetings.

``We had a couple of good battles,'' Smith said.

Won by . . .?

``Oh, by me of course,'' Smith said. ``Do you have to ask?''

Smith was having fun with the question but suddenly got serious to give a more calculated, responsible answer.

``No, I definitely won those battles,'' he said.

That's the feeling among several Dolphins players. Yes, the Jets have used the offseason to make moves.

``But you still have to go out and play no matter who you have,'' Smith said. ``I'm not worried.''

Armando again:face:

Yep. This is the Miami Herald. Big paper in South Florida

Could you imagine what would happen to this guy if he wrote for a major NY paper with all that Homerism. Not just in this article, but it

That speaks to the personality of the men atop each organization.

But the players in Miami don't view themselves as outclassed by their New York counterparts.

Cornerback Sean Smith, a rookie a year ago, got to talking Friday about matching up with veteran New York receiver Braylon Edwards in their two 2009 meetings.

``We had a couple of good battles,'' Smith said.

Won by . . .?

``Oh, by me of course,'' Smith said. ``Do you have to ask?''

Smith was having fun with the question but suddenly got serious to give a more calculated, responsible answer.

``No, I definitely won those battles,'' he said.

That's the feeling among several Dolphins players. Yes, the Jets have used the offseason to make moves.

``But you still have to go out and play no matter who you have,'' Smith said. ``I'm not worried.''

Half of Braylon's TDs last year were scored against the Dolphins. If he played that good in every game we would have won da supa bowl.

When you have to "talk" about not being scared or concerned, its usually because you're scared and concerned.

This.

From my recollection, I can only recall one time where the Jets mentioned the Dolphins in the offseason (and that was the MMA event where Rex, um, saluted the fans). The Dolphins and their writers talk about the Jets more than an a teenage girl with a school crush.

When you have to "talk" about not being scared or concerned, its usually because you're scared and concerned.

and what's even better is the pats* aren't even mentioned

we are totally in thier heads

Why is this ****ing clown obsessed with the Jets?

No one cares about Miami.

Easy answer. There are a ton of us Jets fans down here in South Florida and they (we) call in to his radio show daily...he has nightmares about the Jets...believe me.

Funny when the Jets talked last May about "not being afraid" of any team in the NFL... they were boastful and ****y according to the Dolphins fans, reporters and figureheads.

Now here we are a year later, in May with the Dolphins proclaiming they are "not afraid of the Jets?"

:rolleyes:

Meh.

Good, don't be afraid... it'll be much more entertaining when they don't know what hits them.

The best part of this whole Dolphags vs. Jets situation is that last year if the Phags didnt sweep us, they won 5 games. Thats right, they beat 5 teams in the league outside the New York Jets. Those teams included, Bills, Bucs, Panthers, Jags and the only impressive win outside the Jets was the Pats. Now the Jets beat some of the same teams, but we definitely had the more impressive wins against teams like, SD, Bengals, Houston, Titans. But all together the Jets beat 11 different teams.

Why Dolphag fans are so delusional about their team is beyond me. Truth is, I dont think they are a bad team. I think Marshall and Dansby will help tremendously. They will be better than last season but the record will barely reflect it. I just dont see them winning more than 8 games. They got a tough road ahead. All of the AFCE do, but after the Bills, the Phags got Vikings, Jets, Patriots, Packers, Steelers, Bengals, Ravens, Titans. They dont have enough fire power to handle a stretch like that.

Regarding our rival, the Jets dominance of the Dolpahgs will return. I predict sweep.

You, Sir, are correct; but that aside, what are they supposed to say? "We're trembling in our cleats!" OK.

Football is a fat mouth psyche game off the field as well. It comes with the territory. I generally can't stand that sort of mess, but let them talk. They got us twice last year. Not in 2010, I promise you that. Hmmm, that was sort of fat mouth of me. :P

My wife tatooed a ring of Dolphins around her HooHoo. Unlike all you other Jet fans I get to lay the wood to the fish a couple of times a week.

you think your the only one, whatta u think we get for sitting high scores in the game lounge, max sends us your work schedule. :winking0001:

only kidding, ofcorse you know that, hammer the fish for me once! Lol

Archived