Sporting News picks Jets over Cowboys for SB 45

SouthernJet

Sporting News' pick: Jets will beat Cowboys in Super Bowl 45

Clifton Brown

Monday, Jun. 7, 2010 - 6:24 p.m. ET

After picking the brains of NFL scouts, coaches and players, Sporting News' panel of experts debated the merits of the contenders and demerits of the pretenders. Our Super Bowl 45 pick: Jets over Cowboys.

Coach Rex Ryan enters his second year as the Jets coach.

Why the Jets will win the AFC

1. Talent talks. Some see potential locker room problems with the additions of Santonio Holmes, LaDainian Tomlinson, Antonio Cromartie and Jason Taylor. We see a team with a more diverse offense, a better pass rush and an improved secondary. QB Mark Sanchez will improve, too. And coach Rex Ryan is strong enough to handle all distractions.

"I came here to win," Ryan said. "I didn't come here to be average. I'm going to be held to those standards. Did you deliver a championship? I'm man enough to go for it, where a lot of guys aren't."

2. Dynamic defense. The Jets had the NFL's top-ranked defense last season, and it should be better in '10. Darrelle Revis is the league's best corner, Taylor will enhance the pass rush and Cromartie and Kyle Wilson give Ryan even more freedom to blitz.

3. Hunger helps. They lost to Miami twice last year, finished second to New England in the division and fell just short of the Super Bowl. It's payback time.

Wade Phillips has been the Cowboys' head coach since the 2007 season.

Why the Cowboys will win the NFC

1. Championship continuity. In a league where change is constant, the Cowboys have kept their nucleus

nice pick but hard to imagine the cowboys losing a superbowl in their home stadium. But then again it is even harder to imagine the cowboys actually making it. Romo will choke at some point, he just can not help it. will be anxious to see how we do though as the front runner this year. Expectations are high

I can possibly see the Jets in the SB, but NO WAY can I see the Cowboys there. No way with that oompa-loompa head coach. Yadda, yadda....look at all that talent...yadda, yadda....always fall short.

They still didn't explain how Sanchez is going to be able to beat people with his arm. Or are the Jets defense and rush offense going to win every game?

You mean the same Sanchez who had several key throws in the playoffs to beat the Bengals and Chargers and give the Jets a halftime lead against the Colts, despite having just turned 23 and after playing only 1 year of college ball? That Sanchez?

And yes, the Jets defense and rush offense, with this same Sanchez, are capable of beating any team in the NFL. They won't win every game, but they'll win most of them next season.

You mean the same Sanchez who had several key throws in the playoffs to beat the Bengals and Chargers and give the Jets a halftime lead against the Colts, despite only being 22 years old and playing 1 year of college ball? That Sanchez?

And yes, the Jets defense and rush offense, with this same Sanchez, are capable of beating any team in the NFL. They won't win every game, but they'll win most of them next season.

Yes, that Sanchez. The same one who, when asked to win a game in the second half against the Colts, withered. That's also the same Colts team that shredded the Jets D in the second half as well. You guys may be a playoff team, but not a top-tier team. That game was proof.

Sanchez has a LONG way to go before he makes the Jets a Super Bowl contender, generous scheduling/luck at the end of last year to make the playoffs not withstanding.

And before your rebuttle inevitably leads you to bash the Dolphins or Chad Henne, I'll say the same thing. Henne has a ways to go as well. Neither team, regardless of what one fatass coach says in the media, are SB contenders.

Yes, that Sanchez. The same one who, when asked to win a game in the second half against the Colts, withered. That's also the same Colts team that shredded the Jets D in the second half as well. You guys may be a playoff team, but not a top-tier team. That game was proof.

Sanchez has a LONG way to go before he makes the Jets a Super Bowl contender, generous scheduling/luck at the end of last year to make the playoffs not withstanding.

And before your rebuttle inevitably leads you to bash the Dolphins or Chad Henne, I'll say the same thing. Henne has a ways to go as well. Neither team, regardless of what one fatass coach says in the media, are SB contenders.

I wasn't about to mention Miami at all. I think Henne could be a solid QB as well. But let's be real here. Saying Sanchez "withered" against the Colts is not much of a diss. Its true that as soon as Shonn Greene got hurt and Sanchez was forced to try to get into a shootout with Manning, he failed.

But this is the same Colts team that was supposed to completely wipe the floor with the Jets, and thanks to the D and Sanchez too, that didn't happen.

No one said he's polished, but he was damn impressive down the stretch of his rookie year.

kids-funny-pic-Jealous-Fisherman.jpg

Alot of chest thumping in here for a team that BARELY made the playoffs in a division with the bills and phins... :yawn:

As long as you keep lumping the fish in with the Bills as crappy football teams, you can stay.

Alot of chest thumping in here for a team that BARELY made the playoffs in a division with the bills and phins... :yawn:

And the only reason the Cowboys got to the 2nd round of the playoffs is because they played a disinterested Eagles team TWICE.

Seriously. Who the f--k is a Cowboy fan to talk?

Romo & Co have been choke artists extraordinaire and the only time it didn't happen is because the Eagles gave up on the season after week 16. Then you had a nice no-show in the division round. Good job 'Boys.

And the only reason the Cowboys got to the 2nd round of the playoffs is because they played a disinterested Eagles team TWICE.

Seriously. Who the f--k is a Cowboy fan to talk?

Romo & Co have been choke artists extraordinaire and the only time it didn't happen is because the Eagles gave up on the season after week 16. Then you had a nice no-show in the division round. Good job 'Boys.

romofumble_display_image.jpg

The Eagles sucked last year, they didn't quit. They did not beat one playoff team in 2009.

:) I had to troll this thread. :box:

So, when was the last time you guys actually beat us? I'll give you a hint, it hasn't been this decade, and I hate to say it, we've fielded some pretty awful teams during this decade.

It took Romo 4 years to win his first playoff game, it took Peyton 6, I can live with that. Sanchez got his in his first year, but he has a long way to progress to be more than a detriment to your squad, you can only hope that he will be as bad as the overrated Romo. Your playoff wins were on the legs of your backs, the strength of your lineman and the ruthlessness of your defense.

As a side note, I thought it was HILARIOUS when you dropped the Bengals after they laid down to get you in. But the win against the Chargers? 12-23 with a 100 yards and a 1-1 ratio won't beat us, that game just blew ass. But that's ok, your new starting running back played in that travesty for the losing side .... for an amazing tune of 12 carries and 24 yards and 3 amazing catches for .. 0.

So, when was the last time you guys actually beat us? I'll give you a hint, it hasn't been this decade, and I hate to say it, we've fielded some pretty awful teams during this decade.

It took Romo 4 years to win his first playoff game, it took Peyton 6, I can live with that. Sanchez got his in his first year, but he has a long way to progress to be more than a detriment to your squad, you can only hope that he will be as bad as the overrated Romo. Your playoff wins were on the legs of your backs, the strength of your lineman and the ruthlessness of your defense.

As a side note, I thought it was HILARIOUS when you dropped the Bengals after they laid down to get you in. But the win against the Chargers? 12-23 with a 100 yards and a 1-1 ratio won't beat us, that game just blew ass. But that's ok, your new starting running back played in that travesty for the losing side .... for an amazing tune of 12 carries and 24 yards and 3 amazing catches for .. 0.

Here are the reasons why no one respects the Cowboys:

1. Jerry Jones is your owner.

2. Jerry Jones is your GM.

3. Jerry Jones is Jerry Jones.

4. Romo tends to choke.

That game was also last year.

That game was also minus Taylor, Cromartie, Holmes, LT, Wilson and Jenkins.

I deleted the rest of your post because it was just drivel. But I had to address the above which is moronic.

The Jets play the Cowboys ONCE EVERY FOUR YEARS!!!

They played each other only twice in the last 10 years. So, wow, the Jets haven't been the Cowboys in 2 games (in 2007 when the Boys were 13-3 and in 2003 when they were 10-6). And the time before that (1999) the Jets beat the Boys.

Get a clue.

Okay two things:

1. Sanchez had a pretty good playoff run. Let me know when Romo does the same, especially the close to 140 rating part.

2. Did you just say Sanchez doesn't have it hard because the Jets defense is so great and then blame LT for having bad stats against the Jets defense? :-P

Archived