Jets Make Call on JaMarcus

flgreen

Report: Jets make call on JaMarcus

Jets Blog

NYPOST.COM STAFF

Last Updated: 11:28 AM, June 29, 2010

Posted: 11:13 AM, June 29, 2010

The Jets have made a cursory phone call about former Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell, ESPN.com reports.

The former No. 1 overall pick in the NFL Draft was released by Oakland in May, and the Jets seemingly have a need for a backup quarterback, with Kellen Clemens and Erik Ainge behind Mark Sanchez.

The report says the call is part of GM Mike Tannenbaum's strategy to investigate every available player. It lists the Cardinals and Viking as Russell's most likely destinations.

Russell is considered one of the all-time draft busts after being selected out of LSU in 2007.

The Jets have expressed interest in Saints QB Mark Brunell, but can not sign him until later next month due to the NFL's free agency rules for playoff teams.

The Jets recently added other players whose organizations have soured on them over character issues, including Braylon Edwards (Browns), Santonio Holmes (Steelers) and Antonio Cromartie (Chargers).

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/report_jets_make_call_on_jamarcus_StpeCMxSR7emUq0B5iy5IO?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0sG566udH

This makes sense. JaMarcus is actually the better QB. If we sign him, I'd bet Rex will make this an open competition. You know how he loves fat dudes and Mexy is a skinny little model. JaMarcus is built out of the Rex mold.

Why not? Id much rather have a guy like him than Brunnell. The Raiders system could have been the reason this guy failed miserably.

Exactly! This is a steal! He probably won't play a whole lot, but if Sanchez goes down, he WILL be a good backup plan!

BTW, How old is Mark Brunell? I'm pretty sure I remember using him on the early versions of Madden - on Sega Genesis.

Maybe Russell is a better option. Even if he spends most of his days eating food and playing that same version of Madden.

BTW, How old is Mark Brunell? I'm pretty sure I remember using him on the early versions of Madden - on Sega Genesis.

Maybe Russell is a better option. Even if he spends most of his days eating food and playing that same version of Madden.

Well, he was an original Jaguar in 95. So this would be at least his 16th season.

Well, he was an original Jaguar in 95. So this would be at least his 16th season.

Thats it, It was Madden 96. Remember it like it was yesterday. Punching in cheat codes and using Team EA. S. ORR was a STUD at RB.

Hell, we aren't exactly making any other moves right now. Might as well send out a feeler. Leave no stone unturned.

I got an email today from a source I trust that JaMarcus Russell was actually AT the Jets facility today. I'm going to make sure that this person did not actually see Brick, Brandon Moore, or Damien Woody - they are all about the same size. And I sound like I'm joking here, but I'm not. Seriously.

UPDATE - My source confirmed that JaMarcus Russell was in for a visit today.

. Never knew why Jenkins has gotten the rap as a player who cant finish seasons when he's played 6 full seasons out of 9, and only 1 of those with the Jets.

1. He's getting older.

2. He's now playing a more demanding position.

3. Injuries can pile up and lead to more injuries. There can be a snowball effect.

Archived