Joe namath says the Patriots are stronger then the Jets

Kentucky Jet

PFT Gear

Joe Namath says Hard Knocks was a mistake, Patriots are "stronger team" than Jets

Posted by Mike Florio on September 17, 2010 5:58 PM ET

In the debut of The Broadway Blitz on Sirius NFL Radio with Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath and Adam Schein, Schein asked Namath whether it was a mistake for the Jets to be the subject of this year's Hard Knocks.

"I think so," Namath said. "I think it is for any team that's going to work to do their best to get to be their best. It's what we call 'distractions.' You're going to spend more time away from thinking about your position, your job, and the details of it when you've got other things going on around you that you're partaking in. It has to be a distraction and you can't have spent as much time on your mental preparation and homework as you would have without the distractions. So, yeah, I don't think it was a positive."

Namath attributed the team's offensive struggles on Monday night to execution and not play-calling, and he thinks that quarterback Mark Sanchez was "harried" due to age and inexperience.

"Granted he played last season, but a second year quarterback is certainly not as wily as he is going to be in his fourth or fifth year having experienced a whole lot of things that he hasn't as of yet," Namath said. "The game will slow down to him. He's running a game at a faster pace, certainly in his head, than Tom Brady is running in his head as far as feeling the speed. Brady is thinking of more things than Mark Sanchez at a comfortable mode, a mode that he has practiced, rehearsed, and done again and again over the years of experience. Mark Sanchez, the only flaw he has is his age and his experience at this point."

Namath also believes that the Patriots are a "stronger team" at this point. "[T]hey are balanced on both sides of the ball," Namath explained. "The big question mark about the Patriots, other than [Wes] Welker's knee coming into the season offensively, was their young defense, so to speak. New England had a fortunate game last week and [were] able to create a couple of things to build up a fast lead, so school's still out a bit on their defense.

"I still have to see the Jets offense be able to put up some points because the defense is overworked out on that field. If Brady can keep the Jets defense out on that field anywhere close to what Baltimore did, they're going to be a tired bunch and the Patriots will outscore the Jets. For the Jets to win that game, they've got to play their best with the special teams scoring something as well."

It's a good thing that Namath led the Jets to their only Super Bowl title. Otherwise, plenty of Jets fans would conclude based on his attempt to objectively assess the team that he in fact "hates" them.

Whats Broseph going to say after we win this game?

Anyone starting to get annoyed?

He's going to say good job and that he's happy?? I'm beginning to think because he doesn't show the blind optimism, that some of us, myself included, show, that you think he's pulling for his old team to lose.

He's just making clear observations, he's bled for the green and whit as much as or more than every single person on this team. He wants the Jets to win. If this is anything, it's just his frustration.

He's going to say good job and that he's happy?? I'm beginning to think because he doesn't show the blind optimism, that some of us, myself included, show, that you think he's pulling for his old team to lose.

He's just making clear observations, he's bled for the green and whit as much as or more than every single person on this team. He wants the Jets to win. If this is anything, it's just his frustration.

Word. I love having Joe back out in front of this organization and I love the fact that he tells it like it is: It gives the organization some sorely-needed credibility. Plus, I'm still waiting for the first thing he says that isn't dead-nails true.

Joe Namath is right Hard Knocks did nothing positive for this team. Anyone who ever played a down of football knows having cameras up your a$$ while your trying to practice is not a good thing. Joe knows he won a Super Bowl. Any arguments about that?

No arguement from me.

The greatest QB in Jets history is dead on with his comments.

No arguement from me.

I think I literally banged my head on the desk when the Jets confirmed they were going to be on Hard Knocks. They have a camera-loving young QB with questionable focus going into his crucial second year on a team with Super Bowl aspirations, and you're going to put him on a reality show on HBO? I don't care who the player is--Brady, Manning, Sanchez--if you have a camera in your face 24/7, there's no way it doesn't occupy a significant percentage of your attention. That kid should have been nose-deep in a playbook and hidden in a video room the entire summer and instead he was uploading gay unicorn pictures for the benefit of the viewing audience. I'm not saying he didn't work hard to improve this summer, but if Hard Knocks stole even a little bit of the time he needed to spend in mental preparation, then it was too much.

No arguement from me.

It took years, but we finally agree. Some Jets fans just can't take contructive criticism...even from one of two HOF players this organization has.

This is a guy who literally gave his body up for this game...and still the only player/coach on any Jets team who backed up his mouth with play on the field...paging Rex Ryan.

No arguement from me.

Hate to say I agree. Namath predicted the Ravens would win last week when asked on his Sirius radio show. He has a great look and feel for the team so I kinda believe more of what he says than Ryan. Don't get me wrong, I love Rex but I just feel he's gunned it to the floor too much only to find he has no brakes. Let's hope Joe is wrong this week.

Hard Knocks is definitely the reason we lost.

It was because NFL Films was there with cameras that we couldn't move the ball on offense and couldn't get off the field on third downs. If Hard Knocks wasn't there, I'm certain we'd have scored at least 28 points. Hard Knocks definitely was responsible for those pass interference calls.

And really, who is Joe Namath to talk about 'distractions'?

200711namathfur.jpg

JoeNamathBeaverCrusher.jpg

namath-pool.jpg

namath.jpg

Anyone?

Hard Knocks is definitely the reason we lost.

It was because NFL Films was there with cameras that we couldn't move the ball on offense and couldn't get off the field on third downs. If Hard Knocks wasn't there, I'm certain we'd have scored at least 28 points. Hard Knocks definitely was responsible for those pass interference calls.

And really, who is Joe Namath to talk about 'distractions'?

200711namathfur.jpg

JoeNamathBeaverCrusher.jpg

namath-pool.jpg

namath.jpg

Anyone?

Joe Namath talked the talk and walked the walk. What other Super Bowl QB wore a fur coat and panty hose? Learn it like it bitch. Namath is the face of the NYJETS. You young whipper-snappers dont know jack sh*t!

You know I don't really care what Joe Namath says about the Jets anymore. I never thought I would feel that way about my second childhood hero (after Mickey) but with all his criticisms on Twitter and his Joe Namath TV stuff it's become too much. Hey Joe STFU

You know I don't really care what Joe Namath says about the Jets anymore. I never thought I would feel that way about my second childhood hero (after Mickey) but with all his criticisms on Twitter and his Joe Namath TV stuff it's become too much. Hey Joe STFU

Is it really Joe or are you so called longtimers beating him up for nothing. In Joe Namath I TRUST.

Joe Namath talked the talk and walked the walk. What other Super Bowl QB wore a fur coat and panty hose? Learn it like it bitch. Namath is the face of the NYJETS. You young shipper-snappers dont know jack sh*t!

3,400 posts of trite ramblings and I guess you can say I'm not surprised by this response.

Namath's comments are spot on but there are in no way helpful to the team. He's just creating a further distraction because now coaches and players will be asked further questions about his comments.

So, yes, he's correct but he also needs to STFU.

PFT Gear

Joe Namath says Hard Knocks was a mistake, Patriots are "stronger team" than Jets

Posted by Mike Florio on September 17, 2010 5:58 PM ET

In the debut of The Broadway Blitz on Sirius NFL Radio with Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath and Adam Schein, Schein asked Namath whether it was a mistake for the Jets to be the subject of this year's Hard Knocks.

"I think so," Namath said. "I think it is for any team that's going to work to do their best to get to be their best. It's what we call 'distractions.' You're going to spend more time away from thinking about your position, your job, and the details of it when you've got other things going on around you that you're partaking in. It has to be a distraction and you can't have spent as much time on your mental preparation and homework as you would have without the distractions. So, yeah, I don't think it was a positive."

Namath attributed the team's offensive struggles on Monday night to execution and not play-calling, and he thinks that quarterback Mark Sanchez was "harried" due to age and inexperience.

"Granted he played last season, but a second year quarterback is certainly not as wily as he is going to be in his fourth or fifth year having experienced a whole lot of things that he hasn't as of yet," Namath said. "The game will slow down to him. He's running a game at a faster pace, certainly in his head, than Tom Brady is running in his head as far as feeling the speed. Brady is thinking of more things than Mark Sanchez at a comfortable mode, a mode that he has practiced, rehearsed, and done again and again over the years of experience. Mark Sanchez, the only flaw he has is his age and his experience at this point."

Namath also believes that the Patriots are a "stronger team" at this point. "[T]hey are balanced on both sides of the ball," Namath explained. "The big question mark about the Patriots, other than [Wes] Welker's knee coming into the season offensively, was their young defense, so to speak. New England had a fortunate game last week and [were] able to create a couple of things to build up a fast lead, so school's still out a bit on their defense.

"I still have to see the Jets offense be able to put up some points because the defense is overworked out on that field. If Brady can keep the Jets defense out on that field anywhere close to what Baltimore did, they're going to be a tired bunch and the Patriots will outscore the Jets. For the Jets to win that game, they've got to play their best with the special teams scoring something as well."

It's a good thing that Namath led the Jets to their only Super Bowl title. Otherwise, plenty of Jets fans would conclude based on his attempt to objectively assess the team that he in fact "hates" them.

We shall see Boradway Joe, we shall see.

Is it really Joe or are you so called longtimers beating him up for nothing. In Joe Namath I TRUST.

I didn't read the other comments here before posting my opinion veejay...and yea over on twitter that was definitely him during the game and it is him on those videos he's been making...he's not any more relevant than say a sports writer who has access-also I saw Joe Namath have some real clunkers when I was watching the Jets back then

I didn't read the other comments here before posting my opinion veejay...and yea over on twitter that was definitely him during the game and it is him on those videos he's been making...he's not any more relevant than say a sports writer who has access-also I saw Joe Namath have some real clunkers when I was watching the Jets back then

If Namath isn't qualified to rip the Jets offense, along with Gruden and Jaworski who said the same things, then nobody is qualified to say anything about the Jets offense.

If Namath isn't qualified to rip the Jets offense, along with Gruden and Jaworski who said the same things, then nobody is qualified to say anything about the Jets offense.

but for me it's not just that-I mean in general now the way he sits on his throne up there in Jupiter and bloviates on all types of things, for me it's just getting old-it's like he's out there too much now or something-have you seen his Joe Namath TV stuff Tom?

Archived