Jim Leonhard Injured in Practice, Update: OUT Rest of Season

SMC

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leonhard likely out for year

Jets’ S Jim Leonhard is expected to miss the miss the rest of the season with a fractured right tibia, according to multiple reports. The Jets have yet to confirm or deny whether Leonhard is out for the season, but when asked about it, defensive coordinator Mike Pettine’s response was quite telling.

Pettine admitted he was told there was a ‘strong possibility’ Leonhard would miss the rest of the season and later, in response to a questioner who brought up the reports, he said, ‘I don’t want to be the one to confirm it.’

The Jets now have confirmed that it is a fractured tibia, but still have not said whether he will be lost for the season, although it would seem that way. Leonhard is currently at Morristown Memorial Hospital and will have surgery performed tonight by Drs. Andrew Willis, Pat Grob and Kenneth Montgomery. The Jets also said that it is not a compound fracture [as was Leon Washington’s injury last season]. Leonhard’s fibula, ankle and knee were not affected. They also said, contrary to rumors, the bone did not break through the skin.

So in one freak play at practice [a collision with WR Patrick Turner today] the Jets have lost the player who was the ‘quarterback’ of the secondary. Pettine also called him an ‘emotional leader,’ but added, ‘we feel sorry for Jimmy but we don’t feel sorry for ourselves. We don’t expect any sympathy cards. It’s part of the NFL.’

Leonhard is not only one of the two Jets who best understands Rex Ryan’s defense [LB Bart Scott is the other], he also is a fierce hitter who is very tough in run support. He and the other safeties, however, have had problems covering opposing TEs this season.

The starting safeties against New England will be Eric Smith and Brodney Pool, who had been benched against Cincinnati in favor of Smith. Smith will step into Leonhard’s QB role. The fact is the Jets already had been having communication issues in the secondary even with Leonhard in there.

As for punt returns, a job in which Leonhard ranked fourth in the NFL in average, special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff indicated Jerricho Cotchery [obviously well enough to play after missing two games with a groin injury] likely would the primary punt returner, with CB Antonio Cromartie or WR Santonio Holmes also out there in situations in which the Jets have two return men. Westhoff admitted his disappointment today in how Kyle Wilson has performed in that role, and it seems he is out of the mix at the moment.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/12/rex_ryan_jets_safety_jim_leonh.html

he could be back for the playoffs veejay-the Jets aren't placing him on IR just yet-he's having surgery tonight in Morristown-broken tibia-everything else is OK..

1. Andre

2. Megatron

3. Roddy

4. Fitz

5. Wayne

6. DeSean Jackson

7. Colston

8. T.O.

9. Jennings

10. I'll put Welker here.

Really? So you are saying you would take Wes Welker over both our WR's? When has Wes Welker ever made a play like Holmes has over the past 5 weeks or the SB catch for that matter? Or a catch like some of the ones BE has done to Miaimi?

I think that is insane and I'm not trying to be a dick. He's so limited physically that he's just no where near the value of any of those players you named and about 20 more.

I'm not going to derail the thread, we could bump the "seriously" thread and have this discussion but could you imagine a guy like Percy Harvin in his role on the Pats? There's a bunch of 2/3rd tier WR's that I think would be unreal in his role. I could see Steve Breaston looking better in his place.

Still this sucks. WHO replaces him on Defense? Who will we sign? Dammit

maybe this guy?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=4500

Harbaugh expects Hamlin to get signed by another team

The first time the Ravens waived Ken Hamlin, they brought back the veteran safety immediately.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh doesn't expect the chance to do so again after the team cut Hamlin Tuesday to make room for fullback Jason McKie.

"My guess is he will be picked up right away -- he's a really good player," Harbaugh said. "The numbers have just gotten us. We just haven't been able to hold on to some guys in some situations. I was disappointed to lose him."

Sucks to hear Leonhard is out for the year. Next guys got to step up. I'd like to see more Lowery than Smith, but hopefully Smith can carry his momentum into this game. He played the best game of his career against the Bengals.

LOL you guys can't get enough of his fair catch ability. The roster is filled with guys who caught punts in college including Revis, Drew Coleman and Marquis Cole. Cromartie's returned punts. If you just want someone sure handed to catch the ball you can always stick Cotchery back there when fully healthy. I can't believe how many of you guys have that play not to lose approach. Give me the possible game changer in Wilson in the first place imo.

I think you are down playing the value he brings at the returner position. He definitely calls a lot of fair catches, but he's had some very clutch returns that gave the Jets favorable field position late in the game.

The thing about returning punts, is its different live (like everything else) and if you dont do it often its a skill can you loose or at least be very rusty. You have about 4 seconds to make a bunch of different decisions before you even catch the ball, do you catch it, where are you on the field, adjust to weather conditions, catching the ball, securing the ball, reading the coverage...its a lot and its not to be overlooked.

That said, Wilson and J-Co should be fine...lol...I'd prefer J-Co because he's done it a lot before and he's a Patriot killer. But Wilson's done it more recently so I wouldnt be surprised to see the both of them back there the same fashion they used Leonhard with him.

maybe this guy?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=4500

Harbaugh expects Hamlin to get signed by another team

The first time the Ravens waived Ken Hamlin, they brought back the veteran safety immediately.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh doesn't expect the chance to do so again after the team cut Hamlin Tuesday to make room for fullback Jason McKie.

"My guess is he will be picked up right away -- he's a really good player," Harbaugh said. "The numbers have just gotten us. We just haven't been able to hold on to some guys in some situations. I was disappointed to lose him."

SIGN THIS BEAST

SIGN THIS BEAST

damn how did I miss that chance to post a SIGN THIS BEAST...the grandkids really did wear me out today-all 5 of them were over and I must have walked around the blocks 10 times pushing all different combinations of them-two at a time..

damn how did I miss that chance to post a SIGN THIS BEAST...the grandkids really did wear me out today-all 5 of them were over and I must have walked around the blocks 10 times pushing all different combinations of them-two at a time..

You need to buy a golf cart old man... :D

You need to buy a golf cart old man... :D

not yet bro...then I'll REALLY start to feel old. The thing is there are two of those ride on battery op'd cars in the back yard here and they all still love having grampa push them on the little one I used to push them in 4 years ago

This is pretty interesting too...he's been getting killed this season.

Targets Recept Comp% Yards TD INT PD QB Rating

Leonhard 28 19 67.9 285 3 1 1 121.9

Smith 19 12 63.2 137 1 0 0 102.3

Pool 15 6 40.0 66 0 1 4 26.

Which is fine.... until you realize that you're missing or ignoring the most obvious stat of all that would provide the true context of these stats....

he could be back for the playoffs veejay-the Jets aren't placing him on IR just yet-he's having surgery tonight in Morristown-broken tibia-everything else is OK..

I don't know where or how bad the break is, but a broken tibia can be tricky. It depends on a case to case basis how fast the healing goes. For his sake I hope he makes a full recovery.

If the Jets can overcome the loss of Jenkins, Revis, and Pace, 3 players better than Leonhard, but can't overcome the loss of Leonhard then both Pettine and Rex's coaching ability should be reevaluated.

Archived