The Play That Screwed Up the Comeback

Green DNA

Without a doubt the roughing the punter call. The Jets had just scored a TD and held the Steelers to a 3 and out with 9 minutes left in the third quarter. The momentum had shifted big time in the Jets favor and had we managed to score on that possession I am convinced we win this game going away. As it turns out, the Steelers managed to kill a good chunk of the third quarter after that play, and the rest is history unfortunately.

Without a doubt the roughing the punter call. The Jets had just scored a TD and held the Steelers to a 3 and out with 9 minutes left in the third quarter. The momentum had shifted big time in the Jets favor and had we managed to score on that possession I am convinced we win this game going away. As it turns out, the Steelers managed to kill a good chunk of the third quarter after that play, and the rest is history unfortunately.

I hear you buddy. Westerman must have taken his eyes off the ball because he was there in time and had the right angle to block it. He just didn't get his hand on the football. Talk about a game of inches. If he'd gotten one finger on the ball it would have fired us up more than we already where and negated the penalty.

I hear you buddy. Westerman must have taken his eyes off the ball because he was there in time and had the right angle to block it. He just didn't get his hand on the football. Talk about a game of inches. If he'd gotten one finger on the ball it would have fired us up more than we already where and negated the penalty.

also what about Brodney trying to swat the ball instead of just getting his hand in front of it on the 1st 3rd down play there at the end?

100% agree. That was the biggest play during the comeback. When you get down by 24, things have to break just right and this error cost us a lot time on the clock that we ended up needing.

That was big. Of course it wouldn't have come down to that if Wilson caught the ball instead of having it bounce off his facemask.

That was big. Of course it wouldn't have come down to that if Wilson caught the ball instead of having it bounce off his facemask.

we're really going to need a lot more out of our 2010 and 2011 draft classes this year. T-Rich should be moved upstairs and Conner take over-McKnight has to get some of the plays that LT did this year-he was a disappointment in my estimation from what I saw why not more green-what are we saving him for anyway? Wilson? very meh year and Vlad was either inactive or invisible since playing Adrian Clarke and almost getting Sanchez killed in pre-season

They always say that you have to dive for the area just in front of the foot to block successfully. He went for the foot and th ball got by. They did not score there but it did slow the momentum.

This thread is making me sick all over again. :(

nice avatar... makes me the opposite of sick

re: the thread, I know we made it close at the end, but we lost that game in the firt half imo.. Steelers played like they had the game won, and as soon as we go within striking distance, they made the plays needed to win.. had the steelers not been up 21, I don't think they back off and let sanchez chuck it all around the field in the second half

All the Jets had to do was make 1 stop with 1:00 + left and get the ball back in Sanchez' hand. We've been doing it all year there is no doubt in my mind we wouldve scored a TD and won in the last second. Oh well. Defense sucked a$$ in the first half.

Great new avatar, Verde!

re: the thread, I know we made it close at the end, but we lost that game in the firt half imo.. Steelers played like they had the game won, and as soon as we go within striking distance, they made the plays needed to win.. had the steelers not been up 21, I don't think they back off and let sanchez chuck it all around the field in the second half

The Jets lost the game in the first half without question. At 24-0 the game was over. The Jets needed to play a perfect second half in order to have a chance to win and I knew they couldn't do that. So, like you mentioned yesterday, CTM, I was sorta over this loss at halftime.

The Jets had to play perfect in 2nd half and couldn't do it. As to roughing the kicker, I blame Westoff. Just get the freakin' ball back. You stopped them. Don't go for the block. There was a lot of bad coaching going around in the game, not just by Schitty.

Also, I feel like starting a new thread on this but I'm lazy. We can all complain about what happened for different reasons, but ultimately I believe it comes down to this: the lack of a top 3-4 NT in the game.

Look at the 3-4 teams that played in the playoffs. Ravens have Ngata, Steelers have Hampton, Pats have Wilfork, and Packers have Raji.

There is HUGE disparity between those players and Pouha. That, above all, needs to be addressed in the offseason.

Yes it is and not showing up the first half lost the game not 1 specific play.

True, but this thread is about the comeback and sticking a pin in the momentum balloon.

BTW, it gives me comfort knowing that the douchebag Steelers fans that left me negative rep will be drying their tears with those faggy towels after the Super Bowl.

True, but this thread is about the comeback and sticking a pin in the momentum balloon.

BTW, it gives me comfort knowing that the douchebag Steelers fans that left me negative rep will be drying their tears with those faggy towels after the Super Bowl.

I hate those a$$ wiping towels. I hate when the NYJETS give them out also.

also, not for nothing but if we had gotten a call or 2...Smith's PF. Harrison jumping on Sanchez, Farrior's helmet 2 helmet-the D-Brick phantom FS...we got NO breaks from Hoculi and his minions and I really thought we would going in

They all piss me off, the Sanchez hit was obvious...

The Brick false start was dumb as hell. Three Steelers jump into the backfield, then begin to point at Brick. 2 seconds later, a flag is thrown on him for a false start. Why did it take that long? I have to think because it didn't happen. Look at the replay, what did Brick do... blink???? I mean you couldn't see any movement at all.

Agree. What looks like the "critical failure" is really just the last opportunity missed before it becomes too late.

Great new avatar, Verde!

The Jets lost the game in the first half without question. At 24-0 the game was over. The Jets needed to play a perfect second half in order to have a chance to win and I knew they couldn't do that. So, like you mentioned yesterday, CTM, I was sorta over this loss at halftime.

The Jets had to play perfect in 2nd half and couldn't do it. As to roughing the kicker, I blame Westoff. Just get the freakin' ball back. You stopped them. Don't go for the block. There was a lot of bad coaching going around in the game, not just by Schitty.

Also, I feel like starting a new thread on this but I'm lazy. We can all complain about what happened for different reasons, but ultimately I believe it comes down to this: the lack of a top 3-4 NT in the game.

Look at the 3-4 teams that played in the playoffs. Ravens have Ngata, Steelers have Hampton, Pats have Wilfork, and Packers have Raji.

There is HUGE disparity between those players and Pouha. That, above all, needs to be addressed in the offseason.

I couldn't disagree more that NT was a major reason we lost the game. If we want to point toward the defenses, our OLB are crap compared to the Steelers and Ravens.

Bryan Thomas' garbage a$$ was getting blocked 15 yards down the field into the end zone by Heath Miller. That was a microcosm of the game. Just embarrassing.

By the way, Bryan Thomas needs to go. He is useless.

there were any number of plays that derailed the comeback. the trick is to not get down 24 in the first place. In the cold, on the road etc... it's a tough nut to crack. and who is to blame for that... the D obviously for giving up the points but the O for not doing much with the ball when they had a chance.

there were any number of plays that derailed the comeback. the trick is to not get down 24 in the first place. In the cold, on the road etc... it's a tough nut to crack. and who is to blame for that... the D obviously for giving up the points but the O for not doing much with the ball when they had a chance.

The defense gave up a 10 minute drive to begin the game....there's really nothing else to blame.

Scott, Harris, Pace and Thomas were all awful.

The defense gave up a 10 minute drive to begin the game....there's really nothing else to blame.

Scott, Harris, Pace and Thomas were all awful.

granted... but if the Offense answers back to make it 7-7 it's a different game. You can't be an underdog team, get dominated in the first half in every phase of the game and wonder what play in the 4th quarter doomed the comeback. Once they were down by more than 3 scores the comeback was a low percentage outcome.

granted... but if the Offense answers back to make it 7-7 it's a different game. You can't be an underdog team, get dominated in the first half in every phase of the game and wonder what play in the 4th quarter doomed the comeback. Once they were down by more than 3 scores the comeback was a low percentage outcome.

well, yeah. But the defense getting trampled on the opening possession pretty much set the tone for the entire game.

If you're going to defer on the road, you better get the ball back sooner rather than later. Once Pittsburgh scored that first TD- they were out for blood. The tone for the entire game was set.

Its extremely difficult for an offense, on the road, at Heinz field, to answer the bell there. Maybe unless you have Peyton Manning.

Anyone know what percentage of block attempts that actually work out to the amount of roughing the kicker calls per attempt? Sometimes I feel like its not even worth rushing to block the punt. If you want to hurry the punter, great, but the fact that you can touch the guy with the tip of your fingers and it results in a big penalty, just doesn't seem like a good risk/reward scenario.

Archived