Kendrick Ellis is facing a jury in July for assault

Kentucky Jet

I wonder if the Pats drafted Kenrick Ellis... what would we think of this person?

Just to be clear, I love the pick, but we need to be realistic about it... he's a lotto ticket. There's not just this bat incident, there are dozens of bad situations he's been involved in. ya know how hard it is to get kicked out of University of South Carolina?

We should be realistic about this player. He's got the ceiling to be mean joe greene, he's got the floor to be in the state penitentiary. This is a ballsy pick and should be watched

put it another way Josh Buchanan the small school scouting expert had a draft range on this guy from Rd2 to UNdrafted. that's the biggest range I've ever seen for any player.

I wonder if the Pats drafted Kenrick Ellis... what would we think of this person?

Just to be clear, I love the pick, but we need to be realistic about it... he's a lotto ticket. There's not just this bat incident, there are dozens of bad situations he's been involved in. ya know how hard it is to get kicked out of University of South Carolina?

We should be realistic about this player. He's got the ceiling to be mean joe greene, he's got the floor to be in the state penitentiary. This is a ballsy pick and should be watched

put it another way Josh Buchanan the small school scouting expert had a draft range on this guy from Rd2 to UNdrafted. that's the biggest range I've ever seen for any player.

It's funny, every nose tackle that's ever come out seems to have serious character issues. Wilfork did, Jenkins did, Sam Adams did, I believe Casey Hampton did, too. It just seems like anger management issues are part of their psyche. I was watching pre-draft interviews with Ellis last night. He seems like a big, dopey kid with denial issues, but he doesn't seem like a sociopath. You'll take that gamble with a third.

I am curious about the details and circumstances of this charge against him. Breaking someone's nose and jaw in an altercation? Yeah, that's bad. But I have heard he could get up to 20 years??? Freakin murderers and pedophiles get off with a couple of years. WTF is up with our legal system?

Excellent recap, which is why it wasn't a bad bet for that round. Bart Scott might have some serious babysitting duty this year though.

Can someone please explain to me these people that think it's actually a good idea to not run for your dear life when a guy who's 6'5, 346 is angry with you? Like who the crap are these people? Wanna be Brazillian Jujitsu artists?

Or to 'only' have a bat-you need at LEAST .45 caliber with a Bigfoot

Can someone please explain to me these people that think it's actually a good idea to not run for your dear life when a guy who's 6'5, 346 is angry with you? Like who the crap are these people? Wanna be Brazillian Jujitsu artists?

Beer

Self defense cases are hard for a prosecutor to win, because the jury can consider the defendant's past experiences whether they are valid or not as long as the defendant explains prior experiences to justify his actions. Basically the burden shift to the prosecutor to dissprove self defense once the defendant asserts it.DAs are usually stuck bringing these cases to court because they have medical evidence . And practically in most "fight" cases the winner goes to jail and the loser goes to the hospital.There's an unfairness to that which juries dislike. Also sounds like drinking was involved, so everyone's credibility gets called into question. Antecdotally in my misspent youth I lost my one self defense case as a DA, and won my one self defense case as a defense attorney.

Heres another read on it - one I think makes more sense -

http://www.cbssports.../story/15007883

By Mike Freeman

NEW YORK -- Kenrick Ellis faces potential prison time for something called a felony malicious wounding charge. The New York Jets, after checking with the private investigators, lawyers and bail bondsmen, picked him in the third round. Now, this is where the story gets interesting.

Ellis' tale, and his selection by the Jets, was part of a central theme in this draft. Many of the alleged bad boys, fromRyan Mallett to Jimmy Smith, paid dearly for past transgressions with precipitous falls.

Which brings us to Ellis and a question that isn't easy to answer: Who deserves a second chance and who doesn't? What qualifies a player as a bad guy? How much risk is too much? Few in football agree on the answers.

"The Jets think they can take bad guys and rehabilitate them," one NFC scout said. "One day that attitude is going to burn them."

"Ellis is far from a bad guy," explained another scout who said he spoke with Ellis before to the draft. "The Jets got a steal." "If you just read certain things on me, you'll probably think I'm a bad guy," Ellis told the media recently. "If people ask me and they communicate with me, they'll [understand] what was going on in my head at the time. I'm not a bad person. People make mistakes. And the thing about making mistakes is you learn from them, and I feel like I've learned from every mistake I've ever made in my life.”

Ellis is accused of defending himself from an attacker wielding a baseball bat. Yes, a freaking baseball bat. Ellis defended himself, according to published reports, by punching the man. Other reports say the 6-foot-5, 340-pound Ellis broke the alleged attacker's nose and jaw. Because of this, and also two reported failed drug tests, Ellis plummeted into the third round when he was possibly an early second round pick.

"The one incident he had this past year -- I think anybody in that circumstance would have done that," Hampton football coach Donovan Rose told DailyPress.com. "Someone kind of approached him over a young lady. Besides that, since he's been at Hampton, he's a kid that's been a 'Yes sir, no sir' guy. ... He has been -- I'm not going to say a model guy, but he's been accountable."

If the Ellis account is true, he defended himself from a baseball bat wielding attacker. Should he be punished for that?

Ellis' case goes to trial in July. A plea-bargain probably will ensue but the Jets took a massive risk since it's possible -- though highly unlikely -- Ellis could go to prison before he plays a down.

Ellis was only one of several players to slip. Defensive back Christian Ballard went to Minnesota in the fourth round when he has second-round value. FoxSports.com reported Ballard tested positive for marijuana at the combine. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported cornerback Jimmy Smith had three failed drug tests, two alcohol-related violations and an arrest for third-degree assault while at Colorado. Other than that, Smith was a great citizen. Baltimore took Smith at 27 but physically he's a top-10 pick.

The Giants selected North Carolina's Marvin Austin in the second round when he was a first-round player. He didn't go earlier because of a suspension for all of last season because of an undisclosed violation of team rules and improper contact with agents. He also was suspended in 2009 after arriving late to a class. Kansas City pickedJustin Houston in the third round despite Houston being a second-round talent. He reportedly tested positive for an illicit substance at the combine. "There is certainly risk here," Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli said. "He had a situation and that is why he was available when he was available. Without that situation, he is not available there."

And these are only the players we know about.

Who deserves a second chance and who doesn’t? How much risk is too much?

It's an eternal battle in the NFL. There are no hardened answers. There might never be. Teams are drafting the bad boys and crossing their fingers. And saying their prayers. Almost forgot about that.

Lots of prayers.

"The Jets think they can take bad guys and rehabilitate them," one NFC scout said. "One day that attitude is going to burn them."

I don't get this mentality at all, where is this coming from? Ever since Rex showed up and some Jets players admittedly started running their mouths, suddenly everyone acts as if the Jets are nothing but a bunch of thugs. If you look at Jets recent drafts, they haven't exactly been filled with a lot of low character kind of guys. The only real justification for any of this could be the Jets trading for WRs who fell out of favor with their previous teams. But even still, would you really define either one as "bad guys"? Holmes can be kind of a dumbass and a big ole pothead, and Edwards has admittedly had a couple of stupid incidents, but nothing overly problematic and by all accounts he's been great in the lockerroom and his major issues that sent him out of Cleveland more had to do with his problems with the team itself than anything, and he's certainly not the only person who felt that way about the Browns at the time either.

Of course, it doesn't mean that there isn't some risk involved in taking guys like Ellis and it could blow up in the Jets face, but this idea that the Jets are a roster stacked with hoodlums I think is a load of crap. When you combine that with the fact that outside of Revis' holdout douchebaggery, all of the Jets top guys are all pretty damn high character guys, and you have to imagine that the Jets lockerroom leaders aren't about to let anyone step out of line.

i neglected to mention that Josh B also said Ellis was the best small schooler in the nation... most dynamic and biggest upside. So there's huge risk but also huge reward. Sometimes teams are better off making picks that take a risk for greatness, than these gutless "safe" picks where the guy is only a special teamer.

I don't get this mentality at all, where is this coming from? Ever since Rex showed up and some Jets players admittedly started running their mouths, suddenly everyone acts as if the Jets are nothing but a bunch of thugs. If you look at Jets recent drafts, they haven't exactly been filled with a lot of low character kind of guys. The only real justification for any of this could be the Jets trading for WRs who fell out of favor with their previous teams. But even still, would you really define either one as "bad guys"? Holmes can be kind of a dumbass and a big ole pothead, and Edwards has admittedly had a couple of stupid incidents, but nothing overly problematic and by all accounts he's been great in the lockerroom and his major issues that sent him out of Cleveland more had to do with his problems with the team itself than anything, and he's certainly not the only person who felt that way about the Browns at the time either.

Of course, it doesn't mean that there isn't some risk involved in taking guys like Ellis and it could blow up in the Jets face, but this idea that the Jets are a roster stacked with hoodlums I think is a load of crap. When you combine that with the fact that outside of Revis' holdout douchebaggery, all of the Jets top guys are all pretty damn high character guys, and you have to imagine that the Jets lockerroom leaders aren't about to let anyone step out of line.

I think thats one idiot shooting his mouth off, Bleedin. All the "bad boys" we've brought in since Rex came have been solid citizens and all sing the praises of Rex and how they love the enviornment. And for the characters that don't want to grow a set (Rhodes) when necessary - they get the gate. Best of all worlds. They can talk all they want about Mallett going to MumbleVille and how thats the best spot for his "issues". That fine - we've got a better deal - guys that play for Ryan don't want to play anywhere else. Over time, thats going to buy us more than it has in his short tenure.

They must have all watched Keith Hackney vs. Emmanuel Yarborough.

i neglected to mention that Josh B also said Ellis was the best small schooler in the nation... most dynamic and biggest upside. So there's huge risk but also huge reward. Sometimes teams are better off making picks that take a risk for greatness, than these gutless "safe" picks where the guy is only a special teamer.

I agree, with one caveat-he's only a small school guy because he got tossed from South Carolina. The concern is Steve Spurrier, love him or hate him, is not dumping a productive player who can help him win SEC football games unless that guy is a major dumbass. This is not some highly-respected academic institution, but an SEC program run by a guy who is given broad latitude to keep players who eff up. That might be a bigger red flag than a weak criminal case that he probably beats or gets dismissed.Certain the Jets and Mr. T looked into all this.

Mallett would scare the sh*t out of me. His ESPN spot with John Gruden and John Daly(yes, for some reason to make Mallett less creepy and odd they had drunkass golfer John Daly in a Arkansas t-shirt doing most of the talking with Gruden, possibly because crew cut Mallett talked almost not at all and seemed to have been woken after a 4-day meth bender) was like a Fellini movie on acid.

The charge includes "malicious wounding" for allegedly breaking a man's nose and jaw, according to reports

lol at malicious wounding. The court system will do whatever it takes to embellish something like a simple fight. We're 2 for 2 now haha. What dirt will they dig up next?

lol at malicious wounding. The court system will do whatever it takes to embellish something like a simple fight. We're 2 for 2 now haha. What dirt will they dig up next?

You can laugh but it's a felony in Virginia. They didn't just dig this up. I knew about it and I hardly studied the draft this year. It's probably not a big deal, but it's not charity work either.

The Jets have gotten a lot more "low character" guys lately. So far it has worked out. Sooner or laterr one won't. Worth the risk IMO

You can laugh but it's a felony in Virginia. They didn't just dig this up. I knew about it and I hardly studied the draft this year. It's probably not a big deal, but it's not charity work either.

The Jets have gotten a lot more "low character" guys lately. So far it has worked out. Sooner or laterr one won't. Worth the risk IMO

What your saying is true, but I’m not convinced this kid is a “low character guy”.

Don’t know the guy personally of course, but from what I’ve read, he is very popular among both his teammates, and his coaches. He is know as a hustler. That is rare for a man his size.

If the story that is circulating is true, guy swung a bat at him, not many juries are going to find him guilty. Don’t see it going to a jury. Pot test for a 20 YO? C’mon.

Jets hire an ex FBI agent as their head of security. Think they have done their due diligence.

Not discounting the fact that a felony is a felony, and you never know how a prosecutor, or a jury is going to do, but I really believe if he didn’t have a felony hanging over him he would be a late first round pick. Worst early second. I like him better then Taylor.

Really like this draft. Got two players I think are going to contribute this year.

What your saying is true, but I’m not convinced this kid is a “low character guy”.

Don’t know the guy personally of course, but from what I’ve read, he is very popular among both his teammates, and his coaches. He is know as a hustler. That is rare for a man his size.

If the story that is circulating is true, guy swung a bat at him, not many juries are going to find him guilty. Don’t see it going to a jury. Pot test for a 20 YO? C’mon.

Jets hire an ex FBI agent as their head of security. Think they have done their due diligence.

Not discounting the fact that a felony is a felony, and you never know how a prosecutor, or a jury is going to do, but I really believe if he didn’t have a felony hanging over him he would be a late first round pick. Worst early second. I like him better then Taylor.

Really like this draft. Got two players I think are going to contribute this year.

I liked the pick and the draft.

What you are saying is the reason why I put "low character" in quotes. Abram Elam, Dixon, Cromartie, Edwards, Holmes, Wayne Hunter and even Sanchez have character concerns. I'm sure there are others. The Jets were not taking too many chances on those guys earlier in Tannenbaum's tenure. It could be they wanted to have established leaders and set a tone and now feel more comfortable mixing in guys after checking these guys out.

I don't think we've heard enough to make a decision about the assault. The guy may have had a bat, but Ellis is 350 lbs. Maybe the bat was for protection. Also the fact that the "victim" had a broken jaw AND nose mean it was more than one punch. Does that mean Ellis is in the wrong? Certainly not, but it's probably why they haven't dropped it.

I don't worry too much about weed, but I don't think it's too good for a top level athlete either. AFAIK failing weed tests aren't as bad because it stays a long time for the test. Blow is out in a couple of days, weed lasts weeks.

It's like Bit said. It's a gamble. It's worth the gamble, but it's still a gamble. Of course, I don't remember much pre-draft dirt on Rae Carruth, so everybody is a gamble.

The same exact thing people are saying about us, could be said about the pats in recent years. However, that would be ignoring the golden rule of them apparently being infallible.

I missed this earlier, but I think it all boils down to this:

[T]his idea that the Jets are a roster stacked with hoodlums I think is a load of crap.

Of course the Jets have a roster stacked with hoodlums. They are an NFL team. You pretty much have to have some violent anti-social tendencies to play the game. Every team has guys that have been arrested. The only reason it is constantly brought up now is the New York media (who are you afraid of when you are at the ATM @ 3 am?) and those years of drafting nothing but squeaky clean team captains.

Archived