Grade the JETS draft

Larz

Isn't Braylon going out to the Jets West thing with Sanchez despite not being under contract? And I'm pretty sure Holmes isn't... Think that shows some good faith on Braylon's part and his desire to come back, whereas Holmes I think is going to go wherever he gets offered the biggest contract. I'd guess that won't be here, but honestly even if it was just a one year rental I think taking the shot on Holmes for just a 5th was a decent move.

The caveat is that if the lockout blows up in the owners' face and the players come back under the old rules, Holmes is an RFA whom the Jets can control pretty easily, making Braylon the odd man out (assuming the Jets keep one and not the other).

wow...just...wow

They lauded the Pats on having two firsts and two seconds, and criticized the Jets for not having a second rounder. Isn't he grading this draft that just happened--not next year's? And you gotta grade teams based off the picks the teams actually have. They added a "slew of talent"...I think that writer has no idea what's going on. There's no other reason to be so intentionally vague.

The caveat is that if the lockout blows up in the owners' face and the players come back under the old rules, Holmes is an RFA whom the Jets can control pretty easily, making Braylon the odd man out (assuming the Jets keep one and not the other).

I actually disagree with this. The old rules I think would favor the Jets signing Edwards as they'll have little reason to negotiate anything with Holmes since they will hold his rights. They'll be guarantee to have him for at least one more year or get compensation if somebody wants to nab him. Gives them every reason in the world to put some effort into getting Braylon locked into a real contract first. As was already mentioned, you also can't discount that Braylon is the one who this offseason has done a lot more to endear himself to the team than Holmes, in both his words and his actions. Considering that the Jets apparently feel Holmes is a greater priority to keep, having to get long term deals done with both I think would hurt the chances of keeping Braylon if he really is second in line.

They lauded the Pats on having two firsts and two seconds, and criticized the Jets for not having a second rounder. Isn't he grading this draft that just happened--not next year's? And you gotta grade teams based off the picks the teams actually have. They added a "slew of talent"...I think that writer has no idea what's going on. There's no other reason to be so intentionally vague.

I was getting a haircut yeaterday, picked up TSN draft preview, and they actually gave the pats* recent drafting a fair shake. I was shocked. they had the jets and pats* both at a B- I think. 8 of the pats recent selections are out of football entirely, and they have as many pro bowls as the jets. I think ti went back 3 years, maybe 2

so you can make case that drafting a slew of talent looks nice, but since only 45 guys dress on gameday, all you are doing is backin up your picks with more picks. that's not a bad strategy, of course, the draft is such a crap shoot, but come playoff time, that well rounded guy who loves football won't be able to cover holmes in the redzone

Truth. On the other hand, if Holmes still has ridiculous contract demands and Edwards is willing to come back for a somewhat reasonable long-term deal you can re-sign Edwards and force Holmes' hand. Either he comes back on the one year tender, signs elsewhere and you get a bunch of 2012 picks, or just holds out which is no worse than losing him which they might have expected anyway. Gives the Jets a bunch of leverage in negotiations with him and 2 of 3 scenarios work out pretty nicely.

I actually disagree with this. The old rules I think would favor the Jets signing Edwards as they'll have little reason to negotiate anything with Holmes since they will hold his rights. They'll be guarantee to have him for at least one more year or get compensation if somebody wants to nab him. Gives them every reason in the world to put some effort into getting Braylon locked into a real contract first. As was already mentioned, you also can't discount that Braylon is the one who this offseason has done a lot more to endear himself to the team than Holmes, in both his words and his actions. Considering that the Jets apparently feel Holmes is a greater priority to keep, having to get long term deals done with both I think would hurt the chances of keeping Braylon if he really is second in line.

Truth. On the other hand, if Holmes still has ridiculous contract demands and Edwards is willing to come back for a somewhat reasonable long-term deal you can re-sign Edwards and force Holmes' hand. Either he comes back on the one year tender, signs elsewhere and you get a bunch of 2012 picks, or just holds out which is no worse than losing him which they might have expected anyway. Gives the Jets a bunch of leverage in negotiations with him and 2 of 3 scenarios work out pretty nicely.

All good points, fellas. Really didn't consider this angle.

B+. Still don't know why everybody thinks we need a S.

Leonhard is solid, always around the ball. Maybe doesn't get to everything in coverage, but still solid.

Pool came around at the end of the year. Solid against the run. Probally will never stay fully healthy though.

Smith was incredible last year as that S/lb spot.

Lowery, really liked when they put him there. Ball hawk, who was better in space than one on one coverage.

Ihedigbo is a playmaker, exciting, good against the run.

Definetly not a position of need, OLB on the other hand was.

B+. Still don't know why everybody thinks we need a S.

Leonhard is solid, always around the ball. Maybe doesn't get to everything in coverage, but still solid.

Pool came around at the end of the year. Solid against the run. Probally will never stay fully healthy though.

Smith was incredible last year as that S/lb spot.

Lowery, really liked when they put him there. Ball hawk, who was better in space than one on one coverage.

Ihedigbo is a playmaker, exciting, good against the run.

Definetly not a position of need, OLB on the other hand was.

Can I get your drug dealers number?

I know, I know, it's too early, it takes 3 years, we haven't even had free agency1

30 (30) Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple

3 30 (94) Kenrick Ellis DT Hampton

4 29 (126) Bilal Powell RB Louisville

5 22 (153) Jeremy Kerley WR TCU

7 5 (208) Greg McElroy QB Alabama

7 25 (227) Scotty McKnight WR Colorado

I really liked the Powell and McElroy pick up. They're both solid football players and honestly, I think we picked up a QB with some great upside to be a 7th rounder. The WR's are meh. Wilkerson looks pretty agile for a big man, but he doesnt blow up the line of scrimmage though. That will be a problem in the NFL. One thing that I can say is that he has a nose for the football. He follows the ball so no matter where it is in the backfield. He needs some strength training though.

I'll give it a B. I think we have atleast 3 quality players.

I really liked the Powell and McElroy pick up. They're both solid football players and honestly, I think we picked up a QB with some great upside to be a 7th rounder. The WR's are meh. Wilkerson looks pretty agile for a big man, but he doesnt blow up the line of scrimmage though. That will be a problem in the NFL. One thing that I can say is that he has a nose for the football. He follows the ball so no matter where it is in the backfield. He needs some strength training though.

I'll give it a B. I think we have atleast 3 quality players.

You missed a pick

considering how late the Jets picked, and how few picks they had... they made alot of hay with limited selections. It's not like they were the Pats/Broncos/Chargers/Eagles and had 10+ draft picks. The Jets had 6 picks and maybe half of those picks should pan out.

I'll give a B. I'm really looking forward to see our top 2 picks contribute immediately. Outside of that, I'm indifferent about the Powell pick, I guess we need extra bodies especially of Green goes down. Kerley sounds like he'll fill right into Smith's old role if he exits. McElroy looks like a quality backup and could possibly help Sanchez and the other way around. The McKnight pick is strange, but if we get anything out of it, it's a plus being he's just a lowly 7th round pick. Chemistry for a QB is a big thing, so it can only help.

Guest Mavericknyc1980

Im doing this in terms of value. You always want teams to draft a better player, and figure out away to make him succeed instead of getting a lesser player to fill a need.

Now if these two players(the HIGHer Value) compared to (the player of need). Is close in value then you take the player of need.

First Round – (30) Muhammed Wilkerson, DE, Temple= A. Perfecty 34 DE, yes he is from a smaller school, and yes he needs to develop but, at pick 30 its rediculous to think you are going to get a finished product. After seeing what the coaching staff has done to develop Devito, Pouha, and Coleman, I have no doubt in my that this kid will be a stud for many years to come.

Third Round – (94) Kenrick Ellis, NT, Hampton A. Another small school prospect that has tons of talent and a HUGE need. If his head is on straight, which I believe he because this team does extensive backgrounds on players and creates a strong support system that this kill will succeed. STUD.

Fourth Round – (126) Bilal Powell, RB, Louisville B+= I remember watching this kid destroy Cincy, and thinking man this kid is good. If the Jets did not have Shonne Greene and Joe Mcknight I would be clammoring for him. Well it does not matter the team drafted him. This kid is a Greene Clone, with better hands. The only negative is that the kid had one year production. Some people would sour on the kid because they are not sure if it was a fluke or not. If the kid had two years of good production, this kid would have been a mid to early 2nd round pick. PS people say this says the jets soured on Greene, and/or Mcknight, they havent. The value was too HUGE for them to pass up. The year of the 1 stud running back is over. We have three backs that will keep ramming it down your face until the D wears out. You guys will LOVE HIM.

Fifth Round – (153) Jeremy Kerley, WR, TCU A. The slot was the Area of weakness last year. Yes I love Cotch as any other Jet fan but Kerley with quick cuts in and out will create havoc, he can turn a 3 yard throw, till a 20 yard gain. This kid will be a KOR and a POR. He also will do some WILD cat options.

Seventh Round – (208) Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama B= I love the idea of taking one QB a year. The kid is super smart, and all he does is a winner, how can you go wrong. This guy is the heir apparent to Clemens(this will save money for us and possibly upgrade the position). He could develop into a Frank Reich, or a Jack Trudea QB.

(227) Scotty McKnight, WR, Colorado B+= Question if he did not know Sanchez would people be really upset at the pick. (Hammer, im not directing it towards you IM a huge fan of yours so please do not be offended, Im just making a point). Would we be upset about a player who can play Slot as well, have hands as glue, is tough as nails, runs a 4.5 40, and is strong? Yes I wanted a safety two but we had two whole at teh WR postiion and if they felt, its easier to get a safety then a slot then take the WR. This kid could surprise.

BTW one thing yes Kerley and Mcknight are both Slot recievers. One thing to pay attention too, Kerley will be doing POR, KOR and WIldcat, he will be worn down, Scotty can just focus on the slot.

Overall we did really well at the draft and good job by Tanny, to not follow just one way of drafting but to be diverse. Instead of trading the whole draft, he let the board fall to him and man it worked out great in our favor.

I actually like the Powell pick, it shows an acknowledgement of LT's likelihood of burning out, Greene's propensity for getting nicked up, and the understanding that Joe McKnight isn't an every down back.

I think the S or OLB comes from FA, if/when labor sh*t gets resolved.

+1 I could not agree more. Powell runs hard and will probabaly help the ground and pound immediately.

Will you guys stop comparing him to Greene and saying how much of a power runner he is. He ******* weighs less then one of Crushers legs (less then 210) so there is no way in hell he's going to be able to be a power runner in the NFL. He's not a bad later round pick and gives us some depth if McKnight can't fill the back up roll.

Will you guys stop comparing him to Greene and saying how much of a power runner he is. He ******* weighs less then one of Crushers legs (less then 210) so there is no way in hell he's going to be able to be a power runner in the NFL. He's not a bad later round pick and gives us some depth if McKnight can't fill the back up roll.

This sounds crazy I know, but it's possible to not be massive and still possess power. Power is a pre-req for the RB position, and its probably a little of why Joe McKnight took so long to see the field on offense last year.

This sounds crazy I know, but it's possible to not be massive and still possess power. Power is a pre-req for the RB position, and its probably a little of why Joe McKnight took so long to see the field on offense last year.

He can run powerful but he's to light in the a$$ to run over LBers and sh*t. Someone his size isn't a powerback.

^^ He's not powerbck, but I find the guys that's said about often have underrated power and break their share of tackles anyway. He's no MJD, but I think they like him because he's a guy with moves and more power than McKnight or even Washington before him.

My draft grade = meh

scotty Mcnight was a freebee for their golden boy. Sanchez gets his own draft pick. should've drafted a widebody ol project.

McElroy I like, but only if he's the #2 from day one. He's got the skills, but could've been Lefeged if my memory serves.

Bilal Powell...if ur not drafting to gain a first string starter...there is no reason to deraft a RB for an already crowded backfield. thats what UDFA's are for.

Wilkerson...good value at the right spot.

Ellis...roll of the dice. maybe too dangerous a pick when others had slid.

Kerley...UDFA could've been just as good filling this slot. Special teams/fifth stringer.

no Ol no Safety, no OLB/DE pass rusher.

good draft, or at least good enough not to recieve a negative grade. But after Ducasse/Wilson/Mcnight, I had hoped for a stronger group.

Weren't you the conductor of the DarrenMcFadden'sLegsAreTooSkinny Train?

No, I never said anything about his leg size. I said I thought he was overrated (which he was) cause he depended to much on having a hole to run though, didn't cut very well and went down on contact to easy. People were making him out to be the next Dickerson and thought he'd be a JAG. I thought Stewart and Mendenhall were going to be a better RBs. So far all 3 have done about the same Mendenhall has done the best but he's on a much better team.

As far as Powell goes, I think he's more of a cutback runner then a power runner and as I already said he's to light in the a$$ to be a pure power runner as people in this thread seem to be saying. He runs hard, hits the hole quick, follows his blockers and has a nice cutback. It's going to be interesting watching him and McKnight compete.

He could catch the ball out of the back field. My legs just squeeze my balls together. I give him the edge.

Archived