Movies We've Seen Thread

There's no way the Hobbit sucks. I refuse to believe it.

It's visually awesome in 3D in the theater, particularly the last hour or so of Desolation, but the horrendous dialogue and over reliance on green screen and CG really ruins a lot of it, and the horrendously cheesy dialogue at every turn compounds everything. Put simply, everything that Jackson used to make LOTR awesome he completely abandons. Kind of similar problems that Lucas ran into with I-III.

It's visually awesome in 3D in the theater, particularly the last hour or so of Desolation, but the horrendous dialogue and over reliance on green screen and CG really ruins a lot of it, and the horrendously cheesy dialogue at every turn compounds everything. Put simply, everything that Jackson used to make LOTR awesome he completely abandons. Kind of similar problems that Lucas ran into with I-III.

I've watched the first two in HFR and going to see III tomorrow in 3D. I loved the first two movies...but, tbh,  not on the level of TLOR trilogy. But although I think I know what you mean, don't you think he made The Hobbit, movies a little more hokey on purpose? Wasn't the story/book meant for a younger generation and then LOTR becomes much more adult themed?...

I've watched the first two in HFR and going to see III tomorrow in 3D. I loved the first two movies...but, tbh,  not on the level of TLOR trilogy. But although I think I know what you mean, don't you think he made The Hobbit, movies a little more hokey on purpose? Wasn't the story/book meant for a younger generation and then LOTR becomes much more adult themed?...

tolkien has said the hobbit could be enjoyed by 9 year olds, LOTR more like pre-teens

what bugs me is legolas, the fake romance with kili and tauriel, and the entire pale orc story line.  

the hobbit is the perfect adventure story, no improvements needed.  they were on the right track, 2 movies and done, but they got greedy

it started with the 3 trolls.  no need for gandalf to split rocks.  all he had to do was use his voice to confuse them.  just no need for it.  why mess with perfection ?

and bird poop on radagasts hat ?   wtf ?

**** 'em

I've watched the first two in HFR and going to see III tomorrow in 3D. I loved the first two movies...but, tbh, not on the level of TLOR trilogy. But although I think I know what you mean, don't you think he made The Hobbit, movies a little more hokey on purpose? Wasn't the story/book meant for a younger generation and then LOTR becomes much more adult themed?...

Sure, but what made the original trilogy so beloved was the same thing that made Star Wars so beloved. Detailed attention to the little things. For instance, in LOTR not only were all the orcs actual actors in makeup and costumes but Jackson gave each and every one of them, even the extras, their own backstory. That kind of stuff adds up and comes through to the viewer. It's why those who love fantasy love it, especially Tolkien who paid so much attention to detail, that's why the movies reflected the books so well. The Hobbit comes across as just lazy, it seems like every Orc and goblin and troll is CG. It really takes away from it all. Not to mention as Larz pointed out he put so much in that wasn't in the book because they got greedy, which only makes a viewer more resentful.

Did you see Zero Theorem? I know the reviews were halfway mixed but I feel like half of critics usually get Gilliam wrong anyways.

I haven't yet, but it looked interesting.

He may not always be good, but he always is interesting.

• Upvote 1

just saw the maze runner with my 14 year old.  is it too late to write a "dystopian world saved by good looking teenagers" book ?  is there room for one more ?

It's funny, I think the studios are starting to catch on to the idea that there is a market for these Spring and Fall windows after The Hunger Games. They all look like knockoffs of each other, but teenagers are stupid so it really doesn't matter because they need sh*t to do. You never used to see so much larger budget stuff in Spring and Fall.

just saw the maze runner with my 14 year old.  is it too late to write a "dystopian world saved by good looking teenagers" book ?  is there room for one more ?

I thought the Twilight movies were bad.  That's the Godfather trilogy compared to the horsh*t that's coming out now.

It's funny, I think the studios are starting to catch on to the idea that there is a market for these Spring and Fall windows after The Hunger Games. They all look like knockoffs of each other, but teenagers are stupid so it really doesn't matter because they need sh*t to do. You never used to see so much larger budget stuff in Spring and Fall.

lol exactly.  I'm sure there are innernet commenters that hammer away at the knock off stuff, but who cares if they buy tickets

I thought the Twilight movies were bad.  That's the Godfather trilogy compared to the horsh*t that's coming out now.

the grievers were just so beyond awful.  literally anything else would have made a better boogeyman

lol exactly.  I'm sure there are innernet commenters that hammer away at the knock off stuff, but who cares if they buy tickets

the grievers were just so beyond awful.  literally anything else would have made a better boogeyman

When I was a teenager I don't remember liking so much stuff that sucked so horribly. 

If you're like me and you enjoy kitschy zombie flicks, watch Dead Snow, but do not under any circumstances watch Dead Snow 2 because it takes all the low budget indie charm of the first one and sh*ts all over it in the sequel. Truly awful.

what would you do ?

28-weeks-later-still_zpsef47470f.jpg

There's a stretch in Jeepers Creepers where Justin Long probably delivers the single worst acting job in the history of acting. From when he gets out of the church basement up until a phone call in the diner. He's horrible in an otherwise half decent creature feature, all in all.

Jeepers Creepers 2 is fun THO. There's a giant harpoon on a truck. Sleep would make more sense.

A bunch of movies hit the web recently. Probably watch foxcatcher and nightcrawler this weekend.

Any reviews?

Thanks.

They're both fantastic. All 3 actors really bring their A game in Foxcatcher which makes it. Very methodical flick.

Nightcrawler is brilliant. The climax into the third act locks you in as good as any movie can.