Movies We've Seen Thread

They're both fantastic. All 3 actors really bring their A game in Foxcatcher which makes it. Very methodical flick.

Nightcrawler is brilliant. The climax into the third act locks you in as good as any movie can.

Cool, foxcatcher seemed like it could be good if I can get over Tatum.

Cool, foxcatcher seemed like it could be good if I can get over Tatum.

The guy is actually really good. I have to give credit where credit it due. There are a lot of things that Miller did in Foxcatcher which are hard to catch but they're there if you are looking. Both Ruffalo and Tatum move and wrestle like the Schultz brothers did, for instance. You can tell they worked really hard for these roles.

Which means that 2 pages from now Gato will be talking about how awesome it is.

I was actually devastated by how bad it was. I like Eckhart, Thank You for Smoking is my jam, but that was a paycheck.

Odd career with him. One minute he's doing Gattaca or Boyhood, the next he's in a complete piece of sh*t.

I heard Hawke interviewed on Opie and Jim the other day...He talks like a stoner and maybe got annoyed that nobody gave a **** about Gattaca. Gattaca is the sh*t of course, but I thought it was funny.

______

Here's more fuel for you: I sat through *and enjoyed* Bad Teacher. It was not the first time.

I was actually devastated by how bad it was. I like Eckhart, Thank You for Smoking is my jam, but that was a paycheck.

I heard Hawke interviewed on Opie and Jim the other day...He talks like a stoner and maybe got annoyed that nobody gave a **** about Gattaca. Gattaca is the sh*t of course, but I thought it was funny.

______

Here's more fuel for you: I sat through *and enjoyed* Bad Teacher. It was not the first time.

Cameron Diaz makes me physically ill.

Odd career with him. One minute he's doing Gattaca or Boyhood, the next he's in a complete piece of sh*t.

Ethan Hawke is the guy the studios go to when they can't get a bigger star.  Bradley Cooper and Ryan Reynolds want too much money?  Ok where's that Hawke guy who's willing to work for less than scale?

Deathproof - One and 45 minutes of boring as hell dialogue and about 20 minutes of cool car chase stuff.  No wonder it bombed.  WTF was Tarantino thinking?

He was thinking bigger because it was part of a collaborative work. Both Grindhouse movies were made for the theater. The both of those back to back, with the fake trailers in between and a rowdy audience, really fun time. Viewed individually on TV, meh, not so much. Planet Terror is probably the better of the two, but I think Tarantino wanted to use Russell as a vehicle (pun intended) to give a boost to the road horror genre he was obviously trying to emulate in conjunction with Rodriguez's movie. It's his softest film, most definitely, but Russell is great in it, and I think the part with him and McGowan is one of the best scenes Tarantino has ever done. That's some terrifying sh*t.

Keep in mind that if Tarantino and Rodriguez don't make those flicks, we don't get Machete and Hobo with a Shotgun. 

He was thinking bigger because it was part of a collaborative work. Both Grindhouse movies were made for the theater. The both of those back to back, with the fake trailers in between and a rowdy audience, really fun time. Viewed individually on TV, meh, not so much. Planet Terror is probably the better of the two, but I think Tarantino wanted to use Russell as a vehicle (pun intended) to give a boost to the road horror genre he was obviously trying to emulate in conjunction with Rodriguez's movie. It's his softest film, most definitely, but Russell is great in it, and I think the part with him and McGowan is one of the best scenes Tarantino has ever done. That's some terrifying sh*t.

Keep in mind that if Tarantino and Rodriguez don't make those flicks, we don't get Machete and Hobo with a Shotgun. 

I liked Kurt Russell's performance in the film and thought he was excellent in it.  The movie should have just been about him all that garbage dialogue with the female actresses droning on about bl*wing their boyfriends and c*ckteasing guys at bars is horribly annoying and boredom-inducing.  None of those chicks were even hot except for Mary Elizabeth Winstead who now has an office in my spank bank.

I like the Grindhouse movies but Deathproof is definitely by far the weakest of them which is surprising because Tarantino is so good.

Hobbit 3. It's the shortest, which helps. And there are some well done scenes, but there is such a been there done that feeling with all the battles, and Jackson can't get out of his own way with the awful dialogue and and over reliance on CG and green screens.

Kind of knew all of this would be the case going in, but we decided to be completists anyways.

I love most of what he's done with these movies, I can forgive the final installment being "meh" and have kind of prepared myself for it. Will see it eventually here... we haven't hit that "let's get a babysitter" point yet, we work so much, we like all of our off-time to be kid time, for now.

Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy. Definitely worth the wait

Yes.

There's no way the Hobbit sucks. I refuse to believe it.

Great story is already a given, really at this point the discussion of the film is about the execution and whether or not the story was tinkered with.

tolkien has said the hobbit could be enjoyed by 9 year olds, LOTR more like pre-teens

what bugs me is legolas, the fake romance with kili and tauriel, and the entire pale orc story line.  

the hobbit is the perfect adventure story, no improvements needed.  they were on the right track, 2 movies and done, but they got greedy

it started with the 3 trolls.  no need for gandalf to split rocks.  all he had to do was use his voice to confuse them.  just no need for it.  why mess with perfection ?

and bird poop on radagasts hat ?   wtf ?

**** 'em

100% agree

Divergent.

I was extremely skeptical, figuring I was about to watch another one of these sh*tty "pre-teen girls in sci-fi context, without the detail, intelligence or social commentary that is typical of good sci-fi money grabs" like Hunger Games.

There were moments where it felt a touch like that, but then there were moments where I felt they were actually laying a good groundwork. Only towards the end when the over-invested in the relationship moments did it get a little cheesy, but for what it was aesthetically I felt interested in it in the same way that Walking Dead drew me in. 

I liked Kurt Russell's performance in the film and thought he was excellent in it.  The movie should have just been about him all that garbage dialogue with the female actresses droning on about bl*wing their boyfriends and c*ckteasing guys at bars is horribly annoying and boredom-inducing.  None of those chicks were even hot except for Mary Elizabeth Winstead who now has an office in my spank bank.

I like the Grindhouse movies but Deathproof is definitely by far the weakest of them which is surprising because Tarantino is so good.

A dud was bound to happen eventually right? Even Scorsese made a musical that's two and a half ******* hours long.

I love most of what he's done with these movies, I can forgive the final installment being "meh" and have kind of prepared myself for it. Will see it eventually here... we haven't hit that "let's get a babysitter" point yet, we work so much, we like all of our off-time to be kid time, for now.

Kids must be frustrating if you're a movie lover. You get so many nowadays that are made specifically to be seen in the theater, everyone tells you Gravity is awesome and then you catch it on your 50 inch and think it's terrible, then the kid is sticking their head in a microwave before you even have time to ponder what the hell everyone else was thinking.

Kids must be frustrating if you're a movie lover. You get so many nowadays that are made specifically to be seen in the theater, everyone tells you Gravity is awesome and then you catch it on your 50 inch and think it's terrible, then the kid is sticking their head in a microwave before you even have time to ponder what the hell everyone else was thinking.

Yes.... but seriously, if I have to choose between my kid putting a smile on my face or watching Sandra Bullock make nasally sound grunt-screams for an hour, George Clooney standing there and speechlessly blinking, or Seth Rogan ruining the definition of comedy forever, I'm taking my kid every time. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

you know that hilarious louis CK bit about what every dad does as soon as the wife takes the kids and leaves him home alone ?

I watch scary movies or sci-fi or gory ones, lol

• Upvote 1

So I finally watched Cloud Atlas last night. And i thought it was awesome. 

I know that movie is very divisive, but if you liked it on your first viewing, you will love it on your 5th. You have to watch several times before you can really start connecting the dots, but once you do it is really something else. That's an all-time Hanks movie, IMO, and a brilliant piece of work by the Wachowskis, every bit as good as Matrix 1. 

Deathproof - One and 45 minutes of boring as hell dialogue and about 20 minutes of cool car chase stuff.  No wonder it bombed.  WTF was Tarantino thinking?

I love that movie, nearly as underrated Jackie Brown. Beautiful women in that cast made it easy to digest, props to Sydney Tamilia Poitier on having sexy feet like that.

I saw him driving Selena Gomez in a car with cameras on it this weekend.  Oh dear, what an abomination.  

Not that odd: dude probably wants to f*ck Selena Gomez, understandably, and this is the best way from point A to B for him. Kudos.

I know that movie is very divisive, but if you liked it on your first viewing, you will love it on your 5th. You have to watch several times before you can really start connecting the dots, but once you do it is really something else. That's an all-time Hanks movie, IMO, and a brilliant piece of work by the Wachowskis, every bit as good as Matrix 1. 

I'm glad you liked it too. I know it'd gotten very mixed reviews so I had somewhat low expectations going in and was very pleasantly surprised. A very rare occasion where a movie has made me want to read the book. Whether I ever actually get around to it I don't know but I'm definitely interested in watching the film again. All the subplots where excellent. I literally couldn't decide which one i'd like more than the next. 

I'm glad you liked it too. I know it'd gotten very mixed reviews so I had somewhat low expectations going in and was very pleasantly surprised. A very rare occasion where a movie has made me want to read the book. Whether I ever actually get around to it I don't know but I'm definitely interested in watching the film again. All the subplots where excellent. I literally couldn't decide which one i'd like more than the next. 

I dig the idea of making a piece of work that is subject to that much interpretation. Which of course pisses 50% of people off, because if a story isn't mapped out for them from front to back then it pisses them off, because that means they have to think. And God forbid we do that.

We watched Equalizer last night, it was pretty conventional for what it was, but that being said we had fun watching it. The minimalism in the action/fight sequences was a big refreshing, they had the crispness of the Bourne-style fight sequences, without being dragged out (which is something that Bourne struggled with as the franchise grew, imo).

The only thing about this movie that I just flat out didn't like at all was like the last 60-90 seconds where they are setting up sequels and showing him essentially going the route of craiglist vigilante, that was corny as hell. 

Hrmmm... Liked it the first time, but only watched it one other. Didn't seem like it could sniff Matrix 1, but maybe I'll have to watch it a few more times.

I dig the idea of making a piece of work that is subject to that much interpretation. Which of course pisses 50% of people off, because if a story isn't mapped out for them from front to back then it pisses them off, because that means they have to think. And God forbid we do that.

thinking is for nerdz