Nnamdi Asomugha Thread: MERGED

MikeJetsWord

I'm not saying anything like that. I'd sign Braylon long before I signed Cromartie. If Cro were still there after that, then I'd talk to him, too. I really don't see him generating that $9M figure that's been thrown around about him. And the longer this goes, the lower their numbers are going to be, IMHO. I think it might be possible to land both these guys for the $12M they were willing to spend on Aso. But we'll see.

And Jason already agreed with me on Aso, so there's nothing left for me to prove, anyway. B)

So lets say Cro is worth 7 and Nnamdi 12...

5 million... that will not make or break any other move you need to make...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's never over until something is signed. NEVER!!!! :D

It's still posturing IMO..... well I hope it is.

It's actually humorous the way so many people think that because someone says something on twitter, it's fact and set in stone.

So lets say Cro is worth 7 and Nnamdi 12...

5 million... that will not make or break any other move you need to make...

Two things:

1.) I don't know if Cro will get even that much, and I'd be content with other CB options.

2.) $5M is a sh*tload of money against the cap. Only six players currently under contract with the Jets count more than that this year. Nick Mangold counts less than $5M. Pouha and DeVito combine for less than $5M. Holy crap!

Okay, three things...

3.) You shouldn't talk about the cap, because you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I really just wish we'd use this money to keep Edwards and sign a cheaper #2 corner. We don't need the 2 best corners in the league on our team. Harris is already locked in since we tagged him, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From ESPN:

Nnamdi is being pursued by 49ers and Jets. Houston is going after Jonathan Joseph so looks like the Texans may be falling back a little on the Aso race

To a certain degree, yes.

It doesn't make sense for the Jets to sign Aso to be a #2 CB at $11-12M/year when they already have Revis. His job will be to cover #2 WR's most of the time. Maybe they move Revis around a little more, but so what? He's awesome just sitting on #1 WR's. Why do the Jets need to move him? Without Aso, the Jets have one of the best pass defenses in the league.

On the other hand, it does make sense for the Texans to pay the guy to be their #1 CB, in hopes of improving maybe the worst pass defense in the NFL.

You want to get bang back for your bucks, especially when you're spending that many.

I'm sure you've got a better handle on both the x's and o's AND the way the Jets should handle their money than both Rex and Tannenbaum combined. I think they're just pursuing him for sh*ts and giggles and to stir up talk on Jetnation, of course.

PS. You're one of my most respected fellow JN'ers and I don't mean to sound snarky.

I'm sure you've got a better handle on both the x's and o's AND the way the Jets should handle their money than both Rex and Tannenbaum combined. I think they're just pursuing him for sh*ts and giggles and to stir up talk on Jetnation, of course.

PS. You're one of my most respected fellow JN'ers and I don't mean to sound snarky.

Rex loves himself some CB's, Woody and Tanny love making a splash - it's a perfect storm. :(

I'm sure Rex has some excellent ideas on what he'll do with both these guys, but I fail to see how much different it will really be than what they did with Cromartie as the #2. I think the biggest difference between this year and last will be Revis' health. Put a good CB opposite Revis, and invest in other areas of need on the team. There are a few.

As much as people knock Sanchez, I think lack of chemistry hurts him as well. There's been very little stability with receivers. Only Keller and Cotchery have been here for the whole time. Remember Sanchez started with Cotchery and Stuckey. Since then, bringing in Edwards and Holmes, they have really mixed things up.

That's why I would be content with just resigning Edwards, maybe a slightly cheaper corner than Cro and then you should still have a bit of money to make some creative moves. Maybe you add Zach Miller, so you have a true TE to mix with Keller. We have a glut on the d-line but maybe you take a flier on Marcus Stroud. And then maybe you still have enough left to resign all your guys like your Pools and your Eric Smiths and maybe throw in Shaun Ellis to boot.

Two things:

1.) I don't know if Cro will get even that much, and I'd be content with other CB options.

2.) $5M is a sh*tload of money against the cap. Only six players currently under contract with the Jets count more than that this year. Nick Mangold counts less than $5M. Pouha and DeVito combine for less than $5M. Holy crap!

Okay, three things...

3.) You shouldn't talk about the cap, because you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Ok and what would that 5 million buy them? What position could they upgrade this week?

That 5 million buys nnamdi and is a HUGE upgrade to the secondary which right now is Revis/Lowery/Wilson

Who is it better spend on?

As much as people knock Sanchez, I think lack of chemistry hurts him as well. There's been very little stability with receivers. Only Keller and Cotchery have been here for the whole time. Remember Sanchez started with Cotchery and Stuckey. Since then, bringing in Edwards and Holmes, they have really mixed things up.

That's why I would be content with just resigning Edwards, maybe a slightly cheaper corner than Cro and then you should still have a bit of money to make some creative moves. Maybe you add Zach Miller, so you have a true TE to mix with Keller. We have a glut on the d-line but maybe you take a flier on Marcus Stroud. And then maybe you still have enough left to resign all your guys like your Pools and your Eric Smiths and maybe throw in Shaun Ellis to boot.

I actually agree with this. If we cant sign Aso, then sign Braylon, and a cheaper corner than Cro and some depth at the position too.

Ok and what would that 5 million buy them? What position could they upgrade this week?

That 5 million buys nnamdi and is a HUGE upgrade to the secondary which right now is Revis/Lowery/Wilson

Who is it better spend on?

The point is that for $12 million the Jets could get a #2 WR, a #2 CB not named Asomugha, a starting safety, and money left over to fill out depth throughout the roster.

Completely agree and have said the same thing myself. My opinion that the Jets should re-sign both Holmes and Edwards has just as much to do with chemistry than it does their individual abilities. To this day Sanchez has yet to go through even one full season with the same WR crew. While he should be expected to improve either way, it seems fairly logical that this could only be helped by not having to get used to new receivers every few games. Not to mention, you're now also giving a guy with known accuracy issues one of the smallest WR corps in the league without Braylon, it just doesn't make any damn sense.

The point is that for $12 million the Jets could get a #2 WR, a #2 CB not named Asomugha, a starting safety, and money left over to fill out depth throughout the roster.

#1 - Aso - 12 million

#2 - WR- 8 million

#3 - CB- 7 million

#4 - Safety - $4 million

#1,#2,#4 = 24 million

or

#2,#3,#4 = 19 million

I am pretty sure Tanny is good enough to make either scenario work... not to mention your safety spend can go way down with Revis/Aso

#1 - Aso - 12 million

#2 - WR- 8 million

#3 - CB- 7 million

#4 - Safety - $4 million

#1,#2,#4 = 24 million

or

#2,#3,#4 = 19 million

I am pretty sure Tanny is good enough to make either scenario work... not to mention your safety spend can go way down with Revis/Aso

All these numbers are bullsh*t.

What's really the WR number when the Jets got Holmes under contract for a cap hit of $2.45M this year?

The Redskins just signed Josh Wilson to start at CB for them for @ $3.5M. He'd've been a great #2 CB for the Jets.

Safeties don't need to cost anywhere near $4M. Jim Leonhard costs less than $2.5M.

You can stretch that $12M a loooooooooooong way.

All these numbers are bullsh*t.

What's really the WR number when the Jets got Holmes under contract for a cap hit of $2.45M this year?

The Redskins just signed Josh Wilson to start at CB for them for @ $3.5M. He'd've been a great #2 CB for the Jets.

Safeties don't need to cost anywhere near $4M. Jim Leonhard costs less than $2.5M.

You can stretch that $12M a loooooooooooong way.

So what would Aso be? $5 million this year?

You are doing too much spinning...

Josh Wilson would be making the JETS downgrade from last season.

So what would Aso be? $5 million this year?

You are doing too much spinning...

Josh Wilson would be making the JETS downgrade from last season.

I don't know what Aso would be. If he's getting offers with big money upfront, the Jets might not be able to get him to accept a deal like the one Holmes agreed to.

And I don't mind a minor downgrade at the #2 CB spot (if he even is that) - especially if I'm simultaneously upgrading at other positions on the team. And managing to maintain at WR - a position you're more than happy to downgrade at in hopes of having the greatest second CB in the history of the NFL.

Haha! Yeah, Texas has no TV. I don't even think they have people. If they do, they never buy anything, anyway.

You'll make a lot more in local endorsement money in NY. Not to mention that playing for a team as high profile as the Jets and pairing with Revis will automatically get him a national endorsement deal or two he wouldn't even be offered playing for Houston.

You'll make a lot more in local endorsement money in NY. Not to mention that playing for a team as high profile as the Jets and pairing with Revis will automatically get him a national endorsement deal or two he wouldn't even be offered playing for Houston.

This tangent of the conversation is silly, anyway. First he was supposed to sign with the Jets because they're so awesome and he'll get to be a part of the greatest CB duo eva, but now he's gonna sign because of the difference in endorsement money vs. state sales tax? Please.

I don't know what Aso would be. If he's getting offers with big money upfront, the Jets might not be able to get him to accept a deal like the one Holmes agreed to.

And I don't mind a minor downgrade at the #2 CB spot (if he even is that) - especially if I'm simultaneously upgrading at other positions on the team. And managing to maintain at WR - a position you're more than happy to downgrade at in hopes of having the greatest second CB in the history of the NFL.

So instead of a known upgrade at CB you want to try and find POTENTIAL minor upgrades instead?

This tangent of the conversation is silly, anyway. First he was supposed to sign with the Jets because they're so awesome and he'll get to be a part of the greatest CB duo eva, but now he's gonna sign because of the difference in endorsement money vs. state sales tax? Please.

I never said that was the reason he'd sign with the Jets. I was just proving you wrong. :P

So instead of a known upgrade at CB you want to try and find POTENTIAL minor upgrades instead?

By your logic every offseason the Jets should just spend every cent they have on the best possible FA available, and ignore every other position on their roster. That'll make them the greatest team ever, right?

I have no idea why I'm even conversing with you. I think I'm just about done. You're arguing a strawman, not anything I've said.

I want to avoid downgrades on the offensive side of the ball, where we still have a young QB who hasn't completely come into his own and Brian Schottenheimer running the show. Of the three units on the team, the offense is already the worst. At the very least I'd like to maintain there. So resigning Edwards, or bringing in offensive talent to replace him would be my priority.

Your argument is screw the offense, because teaming the highest paid CB in the league with the new highest paid CB in the league in an effort to try to improve on what is already one of the best pass defenses in the NFL is clearly the smart way to go. Forget about any other position anywhere else on the team, either, because you won't be able to afford any. Just this one player will make all the difference in the world, and would more than make up for the 900 yards and 7 TD's lost along with BE.

I never said that was the reason he'd sign with the Jets. I was just proving you wrong. :P

When that day comes, make sure you mark it on your calendar and celebrate it every year.

(disclaimer: I'm wrong plenty, but let's face it, Klacko will never be the one to prove it).

It's actually humorous the way so many people think that because someone says something on twitter, it's fact and set in stone.

When it comes to Twitter, the old saying is true. Believe half of what you see (i.e. - Anthony Weiner) and nothing of what you hear.

I admire your tenacity slats, when the thread first came up I made a handful of posts saying I didn't like it. Got dealt a relative of the bad fan card and walked away.

The fan in me would love to see this, knowing the economics of the salary cap and the deficiencies on the other side of the ball make me not want it. Arguing this with the mouth breathing klacko's of the world about it however, I don't have that kind of fortitude

The onyl way this move makes sense to me is if we become the 00 ravens defense, I happen to think that won't happen by locking down wr #2

Archived