Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady

GangisGreen

When it really matters, in the playoffs, I think both of these guys have proven there's no particular reason to fear them any more than any other QB. Manning has done that for the entirety of his career and Brady is going on 7 years since he actually did anything to earn the postseason label he still gets credited for. If you're talking in the regular season, they're both top notch QBs who are bound to rack up a lot of wins, even if they get very little help from the rest of their team, and I'm not sure it really matters which one it is anymore. Frankly, as the years go on, those two have become more and more similar players.

Easily Manning.

He played for sh!t teams and was still great. You give him the Pats talent and Beli and he might have 10 championships by now.

I feared someone would say easily one way or the other. Theres no easily in this conversation

Roethlisburger. I hate mobile QBs. Hate hate hate hate hate. The guy who you think you have sacked, them shrugs off an arm tackle or just barely sneaks away to buy himself a couple more seconds for the coverage to finally break down, and picks up a chunk of yards.

I hated Jay Fiedler in Miami for the same reason, even though he wasn't as good as Ben. I would much rather face a Manning or Brady or Bledsoe or Palmer. Yeah they will beat you with good throws a lot, but at least it doesn't feel as frustrating when they do it.

truth be told until ryan got here, I figured it was game over if either of them had the ball late with a chance to win.. so equal

Haha, well said. How quickly things change, huh? Although credit one thing to Mangini, the Jets finally started coming to play against the Pats once he showed up (I'll never forget Ellis' game-clinching sack in the 2006 season). Although I'll tell you what, if I was given a team and told to pick anyone I wanted to be my starting QB, it wouldn't be either of these guys. Rodgers would be #1 on that list, and there's at least a few other guys I could make an argument to beat these guys out on that list.

Manning because too many times I have seen him come back on us and just throw dagger after dagger after dagger. I think at this stage he and Brady are very different. Brady reminds me more of Manning in the mid 00's. He will just beat up teams from start to finish and put up huge TD totals and stat lines. But when things get bad it does not seem like he plays at the high level anymore. Since 2007 I cant really think of too many games where we saw Brady come back. I remember the opener against the Bills in 2009 and then I think last year against the Ravens, but Im sure I remember much else. It seems that they either blow a team out or jump out fast and then hold on. I just feel like I see Manning having more of these pull them out kind of games now.

Manning because too many times I have seen him come back on us and just throw dagger after dagger after dagger. I think at this stage he and Brady are very different. Brady reminds me more of Manning in the mid 00's. He will just beat up teams from start to finish and put up huge TD totals and stat lines. But when things get bad it does not seem like he plays at the high level anymore. Since 2007 I cant really think of too many games where we saw Brady come back. I remember the opener against the Bills in 2009 and then I think last year against the Ravens, but Im sure I remember much else. It seems that they either blow a team out or jump out fast and then hold on. I just feel like I see Manning having more of these pull them out kind of games now.

Couldn't agree more, and I've been saying this for the past couple of seasons. Brady still gets credit for being the early-mid 2000s Brady, when he's really the early-mid 2000s Manning. Not that it makes him a bad player by any means, but not the guy to fear come postseason time (which is the only time I feel like there's any real reason to "fear" a QB). While Manning has improved in that regard by leaps and bounds from earlier in his career, there's still plenty of other QBs who manage to out-perform him come the postseason.

Just off the top of my head, over the past two years both Brees and Rodgers have been far better postseason QBs than either of Manning or Brady. And even besides them each bringing home a Lombari, the one playoff loss they've each had in that time saw some pretty fantastic performances by them washed away by some horridly awful defensive play of their team.

Couldn't agree more, and I've been saying this for the past couple of seasons. Brady still gets credit for being the early-mid 2000s Brady, when he's really the early-mid 2000s Manning. Not that it makes him a bad player by any means, but not the guy to fear come postseason time (which is the only time I feel like there's any real reason to "fear" a QB). While Manning has improved in that regard by leaps and bounds from earlier in his career, there's still plenty of other QBs who manage to out-perform him come the postseason.

Just off the top of my head, over the past two years both Brees and Rodgers have been far better postseason QBs than either of Manning or Brady. And even besides them each bringing home a Lombari, the one playoff loss they've each had in that time saw some pretty fantastic performances by them washed away by some horridly awful defensive play of their team.

It's like asking someone if they'd prefer death by shark or lion.

Would like to avoid both if possible.

Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, Theisman were/are QB's who worked in the system to perfection. They had great teams and HC's built around them. Nothing to fault them for. All-time greats.

Guys like Manning, Marino, Elway WERE/ARE the system. Their teams are 4-12 without them.

Archived