Veteran quarterback options.

BroadwayJ667

Garrard - NO

Orton - YES

Campbell - Not sure

Dixon - NO

Henne - NO

Hoyer - NO

Excluding Peyton because he would replace Mark, what veteran qb qould you like as the guy to challenge for the top spot

David Garrard

Kyle Orton

Jason Campbell

Dennis Dixon

Chad Henne

Brian Hoyer

The rest of the FA qb's just don't seem reasonable (I know of Flynn but see peyton above)

Excluding Peyton because he would replace Mark, what veteran qb qould you like as the guy to challenge for the top spot

David Garrard

Kyle Orton

Jason Campbell

Dennis Dixon

Chad Henne

Brian Hoyer

The rest of the FA qb's just don't seem reasonable (I know of Flynn but see peyton above)

Jason Campbell would be my choice. Live in DC watch him play a lot and I really like him for this team. He could be the perfect player to compete with Sanchez in training camp and push mark to become a better QB. When that doesn't work let him have a go at it. Watched him in DC go thru a lot of systems/ coaches and watched him do pretty damn good with the Radiers.

Henne makes alot of sense so long as no one out there is looking to give him a shot at starting (doubtful anyway).

I've seen a lot of Henne being down here in Miami and I think he is Sanchez with less mobility. Same repetitive mistakes and happy feet, bad reads and inaccuracy at times.

But I'm still at a point where I think either one can succeed somewhat in the right situation. Although I have heard that Henne isn't the most personable guy and def not a "natural leader"

I wouldn't totally write off Shaun Hill. He's a decent game manager, his deep-ball sucks but the guy's played capably when asked to step in. Granted it's been a while since he saw legit PT, but I don't know how much that would affect a career backup anyways.

Sucks we can't bring in a high risk/reward guy because of the safety net we'll need for Sanchez. Josh Johnson is definitely intriguing.

I wouldn't totally write off Shaun Hill. He's a decent game manager, his deep-ball sucks but the guy's played capably when asked to step in. Granted it's been a while since he saw legit PT, but I don't know how much that would affect a career backup anyways.

Sucks we can't bring in a high risk/reward guy because of the safety net we'll need for Sanchez. Josh Johnson is definitely intriguing.

Intriguing is the word for Johnson, but unfortunately "small" and "bad" are things that also work. That said, he was a young draft pick, he's talented, he was a really efficient passer in college, and there's probably some upside there.

Hill makes some sense.

If I could pick one of the veteran FA QBs I'd probably go with Jason Campbell.

I've seen a lot of Henne being down here in Miami and I think he is Sanchez with less mobility. Same repetitive mistakes and happy feet, bad reads and inaccuracy at times.

But I'm still at a point where I think either one can succeed somewhat in the right situation. Although I have heard that Henne isn't the most personable guy and def not a "natural leader"

Meh mostly I think he's interesting because they hired his former HC, he played in the AFC East and he's not epically incompetent. I agree on your knocks...personally I'm not too big a fan...but I think he fits here. Plus, as a backup he's one of the better ones out there. I'm also not so down on Sanchez next year.

David Garrard

Kyle Orton

Jason Campbell

Dennis Dixon

Chad Henne

Brian Hoyer

I dont like any of them. Why cant we try and develop our young guys ? I think McElroy can be a solid BAckup QB .

I dont like any of them. Why cant we try and develop our young guys ? I think McElroy can be a solid BAckup QB .

Agree on McElroy. but he isn't going to push Sacnhez this year. AT VERY LEAST we need a guy who can make Sanchez feel a little pushed in training camp. Then when Mark Crumbles again this season after facing a couple teams with winning records plug the dude in and ride him to victory.

Agree on McElroy. but he isn't going to push Sacnhez this year. AT VERY LEAST we need a guy who can make Sanchez feel a little pushed in training camp. Then when Mark Crumbles again this season after facing a couple teams with winning records plug the dude in and ride him to victory.

No one worth a damn is coming here unless it's someone guaranteed to be the starter (Manning or Flynn). Who in their right mind would want to "push" (or *wink-wink* "compete") Mark Sanchez for a year or two instead of being offered real competition and potential for a starting job in Seattle or Denver or elsewhere?

No one worth a damn is coming here unless it's someone guaranteed to be the starter (Manning or Flynn). Who in their right mind would want to "push" (or *wink-wink* "compete") Mark Sanchez for a year or two instead of being offered real competition and potential for a starting job in Seattle or Denver or elsewhere?

Cause I think that's the only way Tanny/Rex saves any face. Bring a guy in under the guise of him competing when talking to the media or Sanchez. Then tell the guy in private.. "Dude have you seen this knuckle head play? come in show him up in camp and start" They could do the whole, "If you can;t beat this Twink out in camp then maybe your better off sitting the bench." Not sure Rex and Tanny are ready to take the hit on a Sanchez failure unless they can pull a top notch no brainer type like Peyton or Flynn.

Meh mostly I think he's interesting because they hired his former HC, he played in the AFC East and he's not epically incompetent. I agree on your knocks...personally I'm not too big a fan...but I think he fits here. Plus, as a backup he's one of the better ones out there. I'm also not so down on Sanchez next year.

^ this...

And these are the exact reasons why should we get him, I won't slit my wrists.

I tried to think back on anything Sparano mightve said that would tell me what he thinks of Henne, but Sparano is a hard to read guy. He answers cliches and backs his guy no matter what.

I'd really like Campbell at the right price...he challenges Sanchez and I can't convincingly say he's not as good.

Cause I think that's the only way Tanny/Rex saves any face. Bring a guy in under the guise of him competing when talking to the media or Sanchez. Then tell the guy in private.. "Dude have you seen this knuckle head play? come in show him up in camp and start" They could do the whole, "If you can;t beat this Twink out in camp then maybe your better off sitting the bench." Not sure Rex and Tanny are ready to take the hit on a Sanchez failure unless they can pull a top notch no brainer type like Peyton or Flynn.

In theory, yes. In reality they wouldn't put themselves out there by saying that about Sanchez to someone (an incoming QB or his agent) who has no long-term loyalty to the team or keeping its "secret" thoughts secret.

I think that if he's healthy then Garrard is a nice choice. He's been around the block. He's had success in the NFL. He's played in adverse situations. I bet he has a lot to offer Sanchez. Plus, coming off a major injury and lost season, I have to believe he would be an inexpensive option.

The thing the Jets have going for them is that its gonna be one of the more coveted backup QB positions out there. Sanchez is on thin ice these days.

In theory, yes. In reality they wouldn't put themselves out there by saying that about Sanchez to someone (an incoming QB or his agent) who has no long-term loyalty to the team or keeping its "secret" thoughts secret.

A lot can be said during a meeting without saying it. One more bad year of Sanchez and Rex and Tanny both get looked at by ownership. might be time to throw caution to the win and do what you have to do. The honeymoon be over,

I think that if he's healthy then Garrard is a nice choice. He's been around the block. He's had success in the NFL. He's played in adverse situations. I bet he has a lot to offer Sanchez. Plus, coming off a major injury and lost season, I have to believe he would be an inexpensive option.

The thing the Jets have going for them is that its gonna be one of the more coveted backup QB positions out there. Sanchez is on thin ice these days.

Given the slim pickings, if the Jets are not bringing in a Sanchez replacement, and if he's healthy, I think Garrard is probably the best option also with Campbell a close second. Until proven otherwise I think Orton is staying in KC to challenge for the starting job there. Thing with Campbell is he's gone through so many system changes it's tough to get a read on him. Also I didn't watch a lot of him in Washington. Seems his numbers looked ok but the team kept losing. His last year in Washington they lost 5 games when the opponent scored 20 pts or less and lost every game when the opponent scored 20 or more.

The question is why either one would want to hold Sanchez's clipboard. Their best shot here is another in-season meltdown in Sanchez's play where Rex goes to his #2. But I have doubts as to any non-Manning/non-Flynn being given a serious chance at the starting job.

The only other theoretical option, and judging from his play the past couple of seasons it doesn't seem to be a good one, would be McNabb.

Given the slim pickings, if the Jets are not bringing in a Sanchez replacement, and if he's healthy, I think Garrard is probably the best option also with Campbell a close second. Until proven otherwise I think Orton is staying in KC to challenge for the starting job there. Thing with Campbell is he's gone through so many system changes it's tough to get a read on him. Also I didn't watch a lot of him in Washington. Seems his numbers looked ok but the team kept losing. His last year in Washington they lost 5 games when the opponent scored 20 pts or less and lost every game when the opponent scored 20 or more.

The question is why either one would want to hold Sanchez's clipboard. Their best shot here is another in-season meltdown in Sanchez's play where Rex goes to his #2. But I have doubts as to any non-Manning/non-Flynn being given a serious chance at the starting job.

The only other theoretical option, and judging from his play the past couple of seasons it doesn't seem to be a good one, would be McNabb.

I don't see the Jets bringing in a guy to truly challenge Sanchez. I don't think they can afford it both financially and in terms of perception (ie, giving up on Sanchez). Also, I don't think they can take the risk on a guy like Flynn, who'd cost a ton. If Manning is healthy he's going to want to be in a better, more 'sure' situation (thus the Houston rumours).

Conversely, no NFL team is going to bring Garrard in as a potential starter. However, over the course of the year Garrard can prove himself healthy and physically capable of starting and therefore be a viable option in the event Sanchez either throws a pick six to cost the Jets a big game (or three) or throws multiple INTs to defensive lineman.

Seems like the right fit.

Archived