sign this beast!!!

Favorite_Toon

Texans release stalwart right tackle Winston

3648.jpg

Texans informed RT Eric Winston of his release.

The shocking move clears $5.5 million in base salary. Winston hasn't missed a start since his 2006 rookie season, and has been a key cog in the Texans' highly productive zone-blocking scheme. Despite the release, Winston won't have trouble exceeding what the Texans were going to pay him on an incredibly thin offensive tackle market. Only 28 years old, Winston should appeal to other zone-blocking clubs like the Redskins. Pro Football Focus graded Winston as a top-six right tackle last season. He was 11th overall in PFF's rankings.

If we paid him 6.4 mil that would mean that the Sanchez extension basically kept the QB we had anyway and got this monster for "free" :D would it seem like a good extension if it were looked at in that light?

I would be happy if we got this guy. Very happy and my blankety would seem warmer.

Keeping Super Mario probably

I think they might lose out on that one:

A "number of NFL sources" tell CSN Chicago that the Bears are considered around the league to be the favorites for free agent Mario Williams as Tuesday's 4PM ET signing period approaches.

The Bears are all systems go in free agency, and Williams would form the NFL's most dominant bookend duo in the league across from Julius Peppers. Ultimately, Chicago may choose between Williams and free agent wideout Vincent Jackson. It sounds like Williams is coach Lovie Smith's priority, and new GM Phil Emery's old team in Kansas City rarely spent big on wide receivers. While the Chargers, Patriots, and Titans have been linked to Williams as well, the Bears may be positioned best to land him. We should find out by midweek.

I think they might lose out on that one:

A "number of NFL sources" tell CSN Chicago that the Bears are considered around the league to be the favorites for free agent Mario Williams as Tuesday's 4PM ET signing period approaches.

The Bears are all systems go in free agency, and Williams would form the NFL's most dominant bookend duo in the league across from Julius Peppers. Ultimately, Chicago may choose between Williams and free agent wideout Vincent Jackson. It sounds like Williams is coach Lovie Smith's priority, and new GM Phil Emery's old team in Kansas City rarely spent big on wide receivers. While the Chargers, Patriots, and Titans have been linked to Williams as well, the Bears may be positioned best to land him. We should find out by midweek.

I was reading that article and just was really excited as a football fan to see Mario play next to peppers; that would be an absolute thing of beauty to watch.

I was reading that article and just was really excited as a football fan to see Mario play next to peppers; that would be an absolute thing of beauty to watch.

Much better than him landing in New England

It is easy to say, "sign this beast", but do you really want a right tackle on your roster at the salary he will probably get in free agency? Every dollar you spend affects later expenditures and right tackle is down the list of vital positions on a team. I would prefer to fill the position with a cheaper option and hope for similar results.

It is easy to say, "sign this beast", but do you really want a right tackle on your roster at the salary he will probably get in free agency? Every dollar you spend affects later expenditures and right tackle is down the list of vital positions on a team. I would prefer to fill the position with a cheaper option and hope for similar results.

I wouldn't minimize the importance of the RT position. a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. RT was the weak link last season and we saw the results in both the running and passing game. Winston was scheduled to make 5.5 mil this year and was happy about it. Let's up it to the 6.4 that we got in the Sanchez extension. It's found money. spend it on an upgrade at a position that helps make the extension work.

Archived