The All Revis Trade Discussion Threads are the Same Discussion Thread - MERGED NUMEROUS TIMES

jetfan718

If this happens I will renounce watching Foozball next yr ... I'll do other Sunday activities... go shopping, go to church, maybe find myself a boyfriend that hates football.

Yes, It's probably the smart approach to help us rebuild... BUT I'M AGAINST IT.

Football is a highly mediocre sport.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First question why can a team from Denver pay Revis but a team from New York is too broke? second question when has Revis been disloyal? Holding out so he gets more than Eric Smith? He's said over and over he wants to retire a Jet and he's only played for one team so how exactly is he disloyal?

he's a stud HOF player and we aren't used to that, as Jets fans. But you gotta pay these guys. It's not that hard.

If Revis is asking for Mario Williams money, he's asking too much, and the Jets shouldn't cave simply because he's a superstar. As important as pass defense is in today's league, a CB just simply isn't as high value a player as a QB or a pass rusher. A CB just isn't involved in the same percentage of plays. Revis takes away #1 WRs like no one else in the league, but there are still three or four other guys who the QB can throw to on any given play. If Revis is targeted 20% of the time, that would be a lot. Meanwhile, the QB or pass rusher getting paid in that same astronomical range is involved in 100% of passing plays.

As great as Revis is, his impact is limited by the position he plays. How effective is Revis when Tom Brady is throwing to his TEs all day? How much more effective would a $6M CB and a pair of $5M safeties be there? Or a $16M pass rusher?

Lets not forget that Revis is coming off an ACL injury, either. While my money is on Revis to put the work in to get back into form, there's no guarantee that his knee will cooperate. And this contract or trade really needs to be done before anyone really gets to see if the real Revis is back. To me, it's simple. If someone else wants to pay him elite player money, the Jets should facilitate that to their maximum benefit.

If Revis is asking for Mario Williams money, he's asking too much

How much more effective would a $6M CB and a pair of $5M safeties be there? Or a $16M pass rusher?

well if that 16 million dollar pass rusher is Mario Williams, not any more effective. We know how good Revis can be and we know how much he means to this defense. It's more than just pure football, a trade of Revis is putting the guts out of the team before the season starts.

If Revis becomes a Patriot then why be a Jets fan. When the owner of the team is stupid enough to give its BEST PLAYER IN ITS HISTORY to the MOST HATED DIVISION RIVAL, I say screw...switch Fan allegiance. I would stop being a Jet Fan. That would be like the Mets giving David Wright to the Yankees for the Yanks 3rd string catcher. Or the Knicks giving Mello to the Heat or the Celtics for the 10th player (perennial Bench rider).

No. Don't allow this. If the Jets can't get a long term agreement with Revis then you trade him OUT OF THE AFC. OUT OF THE A F C!

why would the Patriots trade for Revis? Don't they know it's foolishness to have that much of their cap dedicated to one player? and a cornerback no less? Don't they know how terrible it is to have a 1st ballot HOF on their team? they have a Tom Brady, why would they need a Darrelle Revis too? They should spend the money on 5 mediocre starters instead. Or don't spend the money at all.

If this happens I will renounce watching Foozball next yr ... I'll do other Sunday activities... go shopping, go to church, maybe find myself a boyfriend that hates football.

Yes, It's probably the smart approach to help us rebuild... BUT I'M AGAINST IT.

I hate football. HINT

well if that 16 million dollar pass rusher is Mario Williams, not any more effective. We know how good Revis can be and we know how much he means to this defense. It's more than just pure football, a trade of Revis is putting the guts out of the team before the season starts.

1.) the defense really didn't suffer all that much without Revis last year.

2.) the guts are getting pulled out of the team over the next two years, regardless.

As great as Revis is, he's not worth the same contract as a great QB or pass rusher simply because of the position he plays. Somehow you cut that part of my post out when you quoted it. That, and the injury factor. Truth is, we really don't know just how great Revis can be post injury. If someone wants to compensate the Jets based on pre-injury standards, and is willing to pay Revis 30-40% or more above the next highest paid CB in the league on top of that, the Jets should let them. As great as Revis is, that's just good business.

If someone wants to compensate the Jets based on pre-injury standards, and is willing to pay Revis 30-40% or more above the next highest paid CB in the league on top of that, the Jets should let them. As great as Revis is, that's just good business.

that reads to me like other teams can try to win a Super Bowl but the Jets shouldn't even try.

If the plan is to win a Super Bowl, Revis is someone who helps the team toward that goal. Auctioning him off to the highest bidder doesn't do more for this team than keeping him does.

You know as well as I do that the cap load becomes really light after 2013. I saw in another thread they have only 55 mil on the books once Sanchez and Holmes are gone.

They have more than enough room for Revis and a fictional All-Pro QB.

that reads to me like other teams can try to win a Super Bowl but the Jets shouldn't even try.

If the plan is to win a Super Bowl, Revis is someone who helps the team toward that goal. Auctioning him off to the highest bidder doesn't do more for this team than keeping him does.

You know as well as I do that the cap load becomes really light after 2013. I saw in another thread they have only 55 mil on the books once Sanchez and Holmes are gone.

They have more than enough room for Revis and a fictional All-Pro QB.

I'm shocked -shocked, I say!- that you once again cropped the crux of the argument.

A CB, even one as great as Revis, isn't worth elite QB/pass rusher money. This is one of the big problems with the Jets cap situations. They threw boatloads of money at inconsequential positions like ILB and center, and are already spending too much at CB.

A CB, even one as great as Revis, isn't worth elite QB/pass rusher money. This is one of the big problems with the Jets cap situations. They threw boatloads of money at inconsequential positions like ILB and center, and are already spending too much at CB.

we are gonna have to agree to disagree. QB is most important fine. CB is 2nd most. it's a passing league. so the passers and the defenders of the pass are the emphasis. Revis isn't just the best CB in the game. He's the best CB in the game, at a time in the league's history when CBs are more important than ever. You say he only gets targeted 20% of the time well if he's on Calvin Johnson 100% of the time, that really impacts the other team's offense. the other team can throw to other guys but those other guys often suck. that's why they are the other guys.

LT and Pass rushers come after that because this world of 3 step drops, it's really hard for an end to get home before a decent QB throws. These things happen in 2.5 seconds. JJ Watt aside (his deflections are a further evolution) Revis is the best defender in the league.

i mean you brought up Mario Williams yourself, why was that a good use of money but paying Revis isn't? Or are we saying that any investment on defense is dumb?

And again I ask why is it smart for the Pats or Broncos to trade for Revis but it's dumb for the Jets to keep him? Isn't the goal for all of these teams a Super Bowl? the broncos and pats have to pay real franchise QBs and still want Revis. The Jets don't have a real QB and don't have enough money for Revis? I don't get the double standard.

there are about 10 franchise QB's in the league at any given time.

there are about 15 franchise WR in the league at any given time.

there are about 25 franchise pass rushers in the league at any given time.

there is 1 franchise (lockdown) cornerback in the league, and that's why Revis is so valuable.

why would the Patriots trade for Revis? Don't they know it's foolishness to have that much of their cap dedicated to one player? and a cornerback no less? Don't they know how terrible it is to have a 1st ballot HOF on their team? they have a Tom Brady, why would they need a Darrelle Revis too? They should spend the money on 5 mediocre starters instead. Or don't spend the money at all.

Right, because the Jets and Patriots' situations are so similar. I guess I just forgot we have one of the best offenses in league history, as well as a HOF QB on our team, where we're just one player away from a super bowl.

we are gonna have to agree to disagree. QB is most important fine. CB is 2nd most. it's a passing league. so the passers and the defenders of the pass are the emphasis. Revis isn't just the best CB in the game. He's the best CB in the game, at a time in the league's history when CBs are more important than ever. You say he only gets targeted 20% of the time well if he's on Calvin Johnson 100% of the time, that really impacts the other team's offense. the other team can throw to other guys but those other guys often suck. that's why they are the other guys.

LT and Pass rushers come after that because this world of 3 step drops, it's really hard for an end to get home before a decent QB throws. These things happen in 2.5 seconds. JJ Watt aside (his deflections are a further evolution) Revis is the best defender in the league.

We will have to agree to disagree, because your argument doesn't hold water. CBs defend single WRs, that's it. It's the pass rusher who defends against the QB. A CB is only involved on plays where the QB throws in his direction, while the pass rusher is not only involved in every pass play, but is also expected to be a factor in run support.

You're a draft guy. You know that the two positions that perpetually get over-drafted are QBs and pass rushers. There's a reason for that, and that's that they're the two most influential positions on the field. CB doesn't rate. That's why the highest paid CB makes ~ $12M/year, and the top pass rushers and QBs make $16M/year or more. The market has dictated the importance of each position.

And again I ask why is it smart for the Pats or Broncos to trade for Revis but it's dumb for the Jets to keep him? Isn't the goal for all of these teams a Super Bowl? the broncos and pats have to pay real franchise QBs and still want Revis. The Jets don't have a real QB and don't have enough money for Revis? I don't get the double standard.

I'm not saying it's smart, but I do understand the logic. If you've got a franchise QB in his late 30's, your window for a Super Bowl is small. So you go all in on the missing piece in hopes of closing the deal, with no thought about the long term consequences. The Jets are in the opposite position. They have to QB. They need to build a roster capable of competing for a championship after years of not only letting the offense fall apart, but ignoring depth, too. They need the draft picks, and they need the money. They've got a new GM in place who's thinking long term. Whole different mindset than a team banking on the twilight years of a Brady or Manning.

We will have to agree to disagree, because your argument doesn't hold water. CBs defend single WRs, that's it. It's the pass rusher who defends against the QB. A CB is only involved on plays where the QB throws in his direction, while the pass rusher is not only involved in every pass play, but is also expected to be a factor in run support.

This CB is involved in every pass play that the QB considers throwing his way, but doesn't, cause it's Revis. You are slicing and dicing the data but if Revis takes away the Qb's best weapon, that's a huge impact on the outcome of the game. If that receiver gets no targets, Revis did a great job. Put a rookie on that same WR and see what happens.

You're a draft guy. You know that the two positions that perpetually get over-drafted are QBs and pass rushers. There's a reason for that, and that's that they're the two most influential positions on the field. CB doesn't rate. That's why the highest paid CB makes ~ $12M/year, and the top pass rushers and QBs make $16M/year or more. The market has dictated the importance of each position.

there were 2 CBs in the top 10 last year, there was a top 5 CB the year before... to say CB doesn't rate is not true, it's a premium position. Dee Milliner is likely top 5 this year. It's not like guards, nose tackles and punters. Teams make CB's their first round picks all the time and every team in the league (even the Jets) needs top CB talent.

I'm not saying it's smart, but I do understand the logic. If you've got a franchise QB in his late 30's, your window for a Super Bowl is small. So you go all in on the missing piece in hopes of closing the deal, with no thought about the long term consequences. The Jets are in the opposite position. They have to QB. They need to build a roster capable of competing for a championship after years of not only letting the offense fall apart, but ignoring depth, too. They need the draft picks, and they need the money. They've got a new GM in place who's thinking long term. Whole different mindset than a team banking on the twilight years of a Brady or Manning.

these long term consequences you keep talking about are way over blown. The long term consequences of paying Revis is enjoying his services for many years. I'm concerned about the consequences of liquidating the best talent of the team. That's what we should be concerned about.

there were 2 CBs in the top 10 last year, there was a top 5 CB the year before... to say CB doesn't rate is not true, it's a premium position. Dee Milliner is likely top 5 this year. It's not like guards, nose tackles and punters. Teams make CB's their first round picks all the time and every team in the league (even the Jets) needs top CB talent.

these long term consequences you keep talking about are way over blown. The long term consequences of paying Revis is enjoying his services for many years. I'm concerned about the consequences of liquidating the best talent of the team. That's what we should be concerned about.

CBs go high, but teams don't target the position and overdraft them the way they do with QBs and pass rushers. You know this.

We don't even know if Revis will ever be the Revis of old again. Can't throw elite QB money at a CB coming off an ACL. If someone else does, that's their business. But it's not good business.

If we trade Revis to a contending team our Pick will be in the high 20's Screw that sh*t. if we trade with Denver We should get a player and some picks. Demaryius Thomas a first and a third.

If Demaryius THomas is traded I think Peyton will personally strangle Elway! Elway would not do that.

It might be easier for the JETS to get a defensive guy. Maybe a Von Miller. Considering Bailey sucked in that ONLY playoffs game I am sure Broncos are workng overtime to address their cornerback's and safety situation this season.

I'm shocked -shocked, I say!- that you once again cropped the crux of the argument.

I really wish I had the ambition necessary to fight that unwritten rule that CBs aren't worth what others are worth. The best I've got is that Jared Allen and DeMarcus Ware haven't won shiiiiit.

I think a healthy Revis is at worst a top 5 defensive player in the league regardless of position, and top 3 agains the pass.

there is 1 franchise (lockdown) cornerback in the league, and that's why Revis is so valuable.

NO THERE ****ING AREN'T!!! THERE ARE NOT 51 ****ING FRANCHISES!!!!

There are probably only about 10 "franchise" players in the league. Almost all are QBs. The debate here is whether a CB, no matter how good can be a "franchise" player.

NO THERE ****ING AREN'T!!! THERE ARE NOT 51 ****ING FRANCHISES!!!!

There are probably only about 10 "franchise" players in the league. Almost all are QBs. The debate here is whether a CB, no matter how good can be a "franchise" player.

im using the word like franchise tag. Someone considered to be the best.

using your all-caps definition Revis ceases to be a franchise player if he's on a team with Brady.

im using the word like franchise tag. Someone considered to be the best.

using your all-caps definition Revis ceases to be a franchise player if he's on a team with Brady.

How can 51 players be the best? Even by your diluted definition, you're being excessive. There are aren't 51 franchise tags. You don't build around all 51 guys. Some guys are nice pieces, but that does not make them cornerstones of the franchise. This is the kind of thinking that caused this team to pay David Harris all that scratch.

If Demaryius THomas is traded I think Peyton will personally strangle Elway! Elway would not do that.

It might be easier for the JETS to get a defensive guy. Maybe a Von Miller. Considering Bailey sucked in that ONLY playoffs game I am sure Broncos are workng overtime to address their cornerback's and safety situation this season.

thats true other teams are not stupid like the Jets. They take care of their QB's

im not gonna look it up but he's still on his rookie deal so... ya know it's not huge. He's gonna get huge money when he's 27.

and guess what. They probably arnt going to be able to keep watt foster and a good QB if they all want to get paid.

that is why we need to get rid of revis. Heck isnt cro getting half as much as revis makes? I want 2 cros then

and guess what. They probably arnt going to be able to keep watt foster and a good QB if they all want to get paid.

that is why we need to get rid of revis. Heck isnt cro getting half as much as revis makes? I want 2 cros then

I can see that point but making budgetary room for a good QB that we all hope for seems like counting chickens.

there are about 10 franchise QB's in theis pass to a teleague at any given time.

but all u have to do to neutralize revis I

Archived