Idzik, Rex, Geno Smith. The holy trinity!

Jacked4JetsFB

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geno was fine. Obviously good enough to win. Made plays with his feet, including a rushing TD.

But with the ground game so effective, the name of the game today was not turning it over and he didn't. Seems simple enough, right? Well it's not that simple for a rookie on a team with these receivers and it wasn't so simple for Sanchez no matter who he had catching the ball with all of them healthy.

Yet another game we'd have lost with Sanchez at QB. That doesn't make Geno awesome or anything, but Sanchez was just that bad. He's injured & will (thankfully and finally) be off the team next year, so I don't know how necessary it is to bring him up after a win. But I don't see 5 wins if he's still the QB. More likely 2 wins and a lot of the same types of excuses along the lines of how Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be able to win 3 games with this team.

Thrilling to watch them at 5-4 in year 1 of a full-on gutting & rebuilding.

Completely agree man. I was being sarcastic with my comment. Its amazing he threw for 115 yds to those guys. He does what he has to do to win and that's ALL that matters!

C'mon man, as good as ivory was, two of our biggest contributors were either out on the streets or on a PS this season. You know the team is talent deplete as well as anyone, you're just letting slats make you defend our team lol.

Your friend and mine, slats, wants to put forth this idea that Rex has the full weight of the franchise entirely on his shoulders and literally every other person in the building, including Idzik, has held him back for four and a half years. He particularly didn't like the Ivory pickup, but it looked pretty savvy yesterday. I was just poking slats on that specific point.

Listening to the radio on the way to work this morning, I have to laugh at these talking heads and callers saying that Rex should be re-upped immediately, all this less than a week after they were all talking about throwing Rex into a hole and starting over. You Rex fanboys simply aren't seeing the forest for the trees. You don't reward Joan Crawford for leaving the hanger in the closet every couple days.

If you want Rex extended, you're going to spend the next two years continuing to make excuses for him, which is what you've done for three years now: well, Sanchez; well, Schotty; well, Mangini; well, Tanny; well, Tom Brady; well, Peyton Manning; well, no pass rusher; well, no talent; well, Sparano; well, Woody; well, Tebow; well, Belichick; etc, etc You can make lists of excuses for why every coach shouldn't win a Super Bowl, or why their team has a down year. Rex is the only coach that I've ever seen get to wallow in those excuses for three years.

Rex has coached the team to 14 losses in their last 25 games. Ten of those losses were by double digits. Six were by 20+. Three were by 30+. Overall, they've lost those games by an average of ~18 points. This is the coach you want to move forward with? Why? Because his defense shows up every so often? Because you think the offense will run autonomously?

Mark my words: if they extend Rex, you'll be back here in two years talking about another wasted decade of Jets football.

For the first time in his career, Rex may have a competent executive above him, and a competent offense coordinator underneath him. Considering that he had Sanchez at QB his first four years, too, it's miraculous that he entered this season over .500. Or maybe he's a just good coach.

If we actually wanted to name the three things that are turning this team around Marty should be first. 

Listening to the radio on the way to work this morning, I have to laugh at these talking heads and callers saying that Rex should be re-upped immediately, all this less than a week after they were all talking about throwing Rex into a hole and starting over. You Rex fanboys simply aren't seeing the forest for the trees. You don't reward Joan Crawford for leaving the hanger in the closet every couple days.

If you want Rex extended, you're going to spend the next two years continuing to make excuses for him, which is what you've done for three years now: well, Sanchez; well, Schotty; well, Mangini; well, Tanny; well, Tom Brady; well, Peyton Manning; well, no pass rusher; well, no talent; well, Sparano; well, Woody; well, Tebow; well, Belichick; etc, etc You can make lists of excuses for why every coach shouldn't win a Super Bowl, or why their team has a down year. Rex is the only coach that I've ever seen get to wallow in those excuses for three years.

Rex has coached the team to 14 losses in their last 25 games. Ten of those losses were by double digits. Six were by 20+. Three were by 30+. Overall, they've lost those games by an average of ~18 points. This is the coach you want to move forward with? Why? Because his defense shows up every so often? Because you think the offense will run autonomously?

Mark my words: if they extend Rex, you'll be back here in two years talking about another wasted decade of Jets football.

Rex won't have a problem lacking in talent with your boy John Idzik running the show.  Calm down and enjoy the win.

T0mShane has jumped the shark and entered "wacko" territory.  I hope you don't take dbatesman with you.

It's looking less and less like an if.

The Jets just finished a tough three game stretch that most fans thought would result in the Jets going 0-3. Hoping maybe they could sneak one win and go 1-2, but instead they won 2 out of 3. Considering the roster Rex has to work with this year, that's pretty impressive no matter how ass-like they might've looked against Cincinnati.

The roster was gutted this year in preparation for the rebuild next year. They have a second round rookie QB starting, one of five rookie starters. Three new coordinators. A new GM. There's a lot going on with this team, and to have them at 5-4 at this point of the season is impressive. It just is.

If Idzik is a capable executive, I believe Rex will prove to be a very good coach for this team. I think he already is. Worst mistake Idzik could make, IMHO, is firing Rex for the sake of bringing in his own guy - especially if that guy has no track record as an NFL head coach himself *coughbevelcough*.

The team is outperforming expectations. Maintaining the status quo is the right move.

It's looking less and less like an if.

The Jets just finished a tough three game stretch that most fans thought would result in the Jets going 0-3. Hoping maybe they could sneak one win and go 1-2, but instead they won 2 out of 3. Considering the roster Rex has to work with this year, that's pretty impressive no matter how ass-like they might've looked against Cincinnati.

The roster was gutted this year in preparation for the rebuild next year. They have a second round rookie QB starting, one of five rookie starters. Three new coordinators. A new GM. There's a lot going on with this team, and to have them at 5-4 at this point of the season is impressive. It just is.

If Idzik is a capable executive, I believe Rex will prove to be a very good coach for this team. I think he already is. Worst mistake Idzik could make, IMHO, is firing Rex for the sake of bringing in his own guy - especially if that guy has no track record as an NFL head coach himself *coughbevelcough*.

The team is outperforming expectations. Maintaining the status quo is the right move.

Thank you for your well-thought out response. You are a credit to this website and to Jets fans themselves. You could teach JetsFan80 a real lesson in civility here.

throwing away the best defensive coach in the league because you want a better offense doesn't necessarily guaruntee a better offense. Also keep in mind a new offensive HC means a new system and maybe even a new QB at some point they have to stop starting over. 

No way we win today if Mark Sucksballs is our QB and Turdbound is our GM.

Lock up Rex and Idzik to long extensions, and let's roll with our holy trinity.

Discuss!

Jets victories the past 5 years have a heavy lean toward the QB not doing much at all but NOT turning the ball over while the Running game and defense wins the game. With the occasional big game from the QB vs a horrid Defense causing the Fans to claim this team is going to turn it around on offense only to get smacked in the face with reality the following week.

The team is obviously heading in the right direction (re building wise) but its going to take a lot of work next year to bring in dynamic skill players who can actually stay on the field and make this offense more consistent.

Im beginning to think the Rex/Mornhinwig combo could be a great one with the right players in place

ive talked alot of crap about Geno but no turnovers is what he needs to do. Geno played a great game by not giving it away. And a shout out to the Jets offensive coaches for not letting him give it away (lots of runs, wildcat etc). 

Kinda makes sense considering his #1 and #2 wideouts are hurt and his #1 and #2 tight ends are hurt.  The fact Marty had the ability and the sense to design a game winning plan was pretty remarkable.  In this case MANAGING a win is all you really can ask of a rookie QB. Marty is the damn man!!!!  If you ask me.  Go ahead ask... I dare you.

Tommy boy, let it go, let it go.  If the Jets fire Rex there will be a line of NFL team trying to hires him on the spot.  That you are arguing against the job he had done this year with this team, makes you look dumb and bias.  Do you really believe that any of our receivers yesterday make the 53 roster on any NFL team, including the Jags? Rex's game plan beat the Saints as he did against the Pats in the playoff on the way to the AFCC.   You are smarter than this, Tommy. 

Basically Chris Ivory needs to be our MVP over the next 7 games.

you know what if Ivory stays healthy and batters defenses and our offense limits the turnovers, its very possible we could see a repeat of 09 10 . If we do make the Playoffs you think Peyton Manning or Tom Brady wants anything to do with our front 7 disrupting the comfort zone in the pocket ? I certainly don't.

you know what if Ivory stays healthy and batters defenses and our offense limits the turnovers, its very possible we could see a repeat of 09 10 . If we do make the Playoffs you think Peyton Manning or Tom Brady wants anything to do with our front 7 disrupting the comfort zone in the pocket ? I certainly don't.

Pretty much. The offense is going to have to be some smoke and mirrors. Buffalo and Baltimore both have pretty good run defenses so hopefully we can create something to get Ivory going downhill.

Pretty much. The offense is going to have to be some smoke and mirrors. Buffalo and Baltimore both have pretty good run defenses so hopefully we can create something to get Ivory going downhill.

Like maybe playing both Ivory and Powell in the backfield at the same time with the option to dump off whenever needed .. You know kind of like Drew Brees did when he had a healthy complement of Backs. If anything it will keep us more unpredictable though I think Morhinwig has done about as good a job as possible with what he has to work with . 100 times better than predictable Shi!tty or Sporano could have ever hope to be.

I would say that Morhinweg has been more valuable than Rex this year. 

Like it is with most winning teams in the NFL, offensive diversity and structure will give you a chance. Marty has provided that to the Jets

Meh, even I have to call BS on this agenda-driven sentiment. Gimme a break.

Morninwheg has been good, but this WHOLE team is over achieving right now. If Rex is to be dogged for "not being a true head coach" then he should also be praised when the while is greater than the sum of its parts. Remember this team is a few great defensive linemen, some average vets, a couple of rookies and a lot of street free agent spare parts from the scrap heap.

Like maybe playing both Ivory and Powell in the backfield at the same time with the option to dump off whenever needed .. You know kind of like Drew Brees did when he had a healthy complement of Backs. If anything it will keep us more unpredictable though I think Morhinwig has done about as good a job as possible with what he has to work with . 100 times better than predictable Shi!tty or Sporano could have ever hope to be.

I think with Winslow coming back you'll see Cumberland playing WR a lot. Or split out at least.

I think with Winslow coming back you'll see Cumberland playing WR a lot. Or split out at least.

I think that's a good call. They've been splitting Sudfeld out wide and Cumberland offers a lot more speed, he'd be able to create some better mismatches. I also wouldn't mind seeing Winslow, Cumberland and Sudfeld on the field at the same time in certain packages in the red zone.  

*Didn't Cumberland run something like a 4.40 forty at the combine? I know it was something freakish. 

Edit: Wow, I didn't know his numbers were that impressive. At 6'4 250 lbs, he ran a 4.45 40, 35" vertical, 4.39 shuttle and a 6.89 3-cone. I wonder if his achilles sapped a lot of that, but those are very good numbers, I can see why the team always remained so high on him.

I think that's a good call. They've been splitting Sudfeld out wide and Cumberland offers a lot more speed, he'd be able to create some better mismatches. I also wouldn't mind seeing Winslow, Cumberland and Sudfeld on the field at the same time in certain packages in the red zone.  

*Didn't Cumberland run something like a 4.40 forty at the combine? I know it was something freakish. 

Edit: Wow, I didn't know his numbers were that impressive. At 6'4 250 lbs, he ran a 4.45 40, 35" vertical, 4.39 shuttle and a 6.89 3-cone. I wonder if his achilles sapped a lot of that, but those are very good numbers, I can see why the team always remained so high on him.

I think you'll see all three on the field at times....we dont have many options anyway. Cumberland was a WR in college, looked too heavy last year. Definitely trimmer this year but I'm sure the injury slowed him down a bit.

Meh, even I have to call BS on this agenda-driven sentiment. Gimme a break.

Morninwheg has been good, but this WHOLE team is over achieving right now. If Rex is to be dogged for "not being a true head coach" then he should also be praised when the while is greater than the sum of its parts. Remember this team is a few great defensive linemen, some average vets, a couple of rookies and a lot of street free agent spare parts from the scrap heap.

Where has the biggest change occurred? On the offense. You are putting in a new offensive system, with a rookie QB without true weaponz?

How does MM not get mad kudos for that?

Where has the biggest change occurred? On the offense. You are putting in a new offensive system, with a rookie QB without true weaponz?

How does MM not get mad kudos for that?

They installed a new offense AND revamped the special teams AND replaced like 5-6 defensive starters. That is a whole team effort. The offense still struggles to score, and turns the ball over a lot, and gives our opponents 7 points often. That's not too big a change, really. I'm not saying MM doesn't deserve credit, but you said he's more valuable than Rex.

That has nothing to do with giving credit where it's due. That is devaluing Rex for the sake of keeping up with your agenda and you are using a paper-thin argument about the offense to prop it up.

Rex deserves the credit. He could have curled up in a ball. He's doing a helluva job in a year we all thought was his lame duck season. 

A loss is a loss, unless there were just unique situations that you just can't do anything about here or there (bad calls at key moments, key injuries, etc.). You're lamenting on the larger margin of losses being the coach's fault.  I think that speaks to talent more than anything.

My point is you're using an agenda by killing him for a bad margin of loss.  The hypocritical, agenda-driven part of that criticism is you'd be killing him more if we still lost but those games were all close ones.  

IMO when we're getting clobbered so horribly it's a talent deficiency.  If we're constantly losing close games then it's more likely coaching.

They installed a new offense AND revamped the special teams AND replaced like 5-6 defensive starters. That is a whole team effort. The offense still struggles to score, and turns the ball over a lot, and gives our opponents 7 points often. That's not too big a change, really. I'm not saying MM doesn't deserve credit, but you said he's more valuable than Rex.

That has nothing to do with giving credit where it's due. That is devaluing Rex for the sake of keeping up with your agenda and you are using a paper-thin argument about the offense to prop it up.

Rex deserves the credit. He could have curled up in a ball. He's doing a helluva job in a year we all thought was his lame duck season. 

Anyone who claims he had us at 5-4 through 9 games, if asked on September 1st, is a rat-faced liar.  Anyone who thought back then we'd be at least 5-4 with their own hand-picked genius replacing Rex is also full of it.

Rookie QB who (allegedly) lost a competition to Mark Sanchez - who wasn't even having a good camp/summer himself - with (on paper, relative to other teams) crap to throw to and crap + injuries in run support.  OL we brought in Captain Penalty and a rookie who lost a competition to Vladimir Ducasse.  The crappy receivers we DID have kept dropping like flies.  The one sure-handed veteran who never screws up his routes gets suspended for a month.  The #9 overall pick was 10x worse than Kyle Wilson and we were using some undrafted nobody (who himself isn't really too good) instead of him as well.  We have 4 CBs and 2 of them are/were ranked as 2 of the 3 worst in the NFL.  The other two also sucked; one (Wilson) still in the bottom half and the least-talented of the bunch (by a wide margin) is only marginally in the top half. Top HALF.  Two safeties are both crap, whatever potential people choose to see in Allen for the future.  Behind these two everyone is noticeably worse.  We didn't exactly have KC's moist, delicious, cake schedule either.  And we're 5-4?

I don't think Rex has earned some mega-extension, and there are still things I find infuriating (like inexplicably not kneeling on the ball to seal the game yesterday), but on balance he's doing a great job.  People who think dozens of coaches do better don't watch that closely.  Everyone makes boneheaded mistakes.  This sorry-ass roster has a REALISTIC shot at 9-10 wins and that is impressive coaching.

Archived