Jets to go hard after McCown

T0mShane

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A QB like McCown would come here because he knows 1. He'll get paid and 2. He can start. There aren't a lot of other franchises out there that have such a vulnerable incumbent and a coach that plays to win games 17-13.

while not terrible, McCown would be 3rd or 4th on my list.   

Using your same logic, I think the Jets are a good fit for Gabbert once he's released from JAX.   He's still only 24 yrs old and would benefit from Morningwhig and Lee.  

First choice is still Cousins for a 3rd.   

Both Gabbert and Cousins are instant upgrades at QB and would still let the team use their picks to improve the supporting cast.  

Using your same logic, I think the Jets are a good fit for Gabbert once he's released from JAX.   He's still only 24 yrs old and would benefit from Morningwhig and Lee.  

Both Gabbert and Cousins are instant upgrades at QB and would still let the team use their picks to improve the supporting cast.  

Didn't the REDSKINS just announce that they are in no way trading Cousins. Now, I know its smokescreen time, and they obviously want to drive up his price (higher picks), but it genuinely sounds like (given RGIII' fragility) that they are dead set on keeping him. what do you think?

I don't think Sanchez can possibly succeed anywhere. That said, it would be 1000X worse for Idzik and the Jets if Sanchez went somewhere else and succeeded than if he stayed here and succeeded. If the Jets are thinking like this, they have poopie for their brains. There decision should only be on whether or not Sanchez can succeed, and if he has any value for the Jets at a price he would be willing to play for.

Yeah that line from a team "insider" makes no sense.  Agree with your first sentence, but if Sanchez succeeded here how is that bad for Idzik? Because he used a 2nd round pick on a QB in his first season as GM? Tannenbaum did the exact same thing and he survived for years here despite Clemens ending up as a waste of a high draft pick. 

That insider is a fool.  Idzik is going to dump him #1 because he's a terrible QB who is more of a goofball frat boy than a team leader, #2 because he's way too expensive despite #1, and #3 the team doesn't need the drama of Sanchez vs Smith part II.  

If Idzik thought Sanchez would succeed elsewhere he would look a thousand times worse than if he succeeded here.  

McCown will come here and the Jets will suddenly realize 1. He does not have Brandon Marshall 2. He does not have Alshon Jefferies and 3. He does not have Matt Forte as a check down. So what does this mean ? Forget the 109 QB rating and we're back to the 11 years 5 team scenario.

guy's a backup.  probably should be with 5 teams in 11 years.

Using your same logic, I think the Jets are a good fit for Gabbert once he's released from JAX. He's still only 24 yrs old and would benefit from Morningwhig and Lee.

Cousins isn't going to be traded and Gabbert is not good.

Cousins isn't going to be traded and Gabbert is not good.

Let's see what Gabbert can do on a real team with a real OC.   He's never really had much of a chance in Jax, he's 24 yrs old, and he has all of the physical tools to succeed.   

Cousins is more available than what you read online.  

Let's see what Gabbert can do on a real team with a real OC. He's never really had much of a chance in Jax, he's 24 yrs old, and he has all of the physical tools to succeed.

Cousins is more available than what you read online.

Even if Cousins is available, he isn't very good either. Neither he or Gabbert is an upgrade over Geno or Sanchez, which is saying something.

Even if Cousins is available, he isn't very good either. Neither he or Gabbert is an upgrade over Geno or Sanchez, which is saying something.

We'll just agree to disagree on this one.   I think both Gabbert and Cousins are upgrades over any QB on the Jets roster.   Gabbert is probably going to be released by Jax and could be signed for almost nothing.     I can't imagine Geno beating out Gabbert in an open competition.  

We'll just agree to disagree on this one. I think both Gabbert and Cousins are upgrades over any QB on the Jets roster. Gabbert is probably going to be released by Jax and could be signed for almost nothing. I can't imagine Geno beating out Gabbert in an open competition.

Didn't Gabbert get beat out by Henne? Or was it an injury thing?

Didn't Gabbert get beat out by Henne? Or was it an injury thing?

injury, but it didn't really matter.   Gabbert has sucked for 3 years in Jax, no doubt about it.   He still has more promise than most of the retreads that are available via FA.  If Gabbert can't beat out Smith than they can cut him in camp and no harm done but I'd at least give him a chance. 

why exactly is Cousins not good ? Think of the scenario in which he came to start in Washington this year and tell me if that's a good situation for any QB to be in. Shanahan mailed it in mid season and so did his team then Cousins was thrown to the wolves. Anyone who hires that moron at this stage deserves what they get. Elway and Davis made him and when they were gone so was Shanahans coaching genius. Good coaches always seem to win where ever they go Shanahan is not one of those coaches he's not Andy Reid he's not Don Shula and he's not the Cheater

He could get worse. He could play like Sanchez.

sure.. but "if he regresses" implies that if he stays the same we're good... that sentance should start "if smith doesn't get a sh*t ton* better"

*i wantes to use crusher as a synonym of sh*t ton but didn't think "get a crusher better" would make sense

Disagree. Geno gets first shot at starting, McCown like last year would be backup, IMO.

Where did you hear that? The last time our GM and Coach spoke, both were suspiciously non-committal on our starter, and this even before we have signed any FA or draft pick.

Now our coach, I tend to believe absolutely nothing that he says (especially when he waxes poetically about the dude with the Beret in his hair), but I do trust Idzik.

Where did you hear that? The last time our GM and Coach spoke, both were suspiciously non-committal on our starter, and this even before we have signed any FA or draft pick.

Now our coach, I tend to believe absolutely nothing that he says (especially when he waxes poetically about the dude with the Beret in his hair), but I do trust Idzik.

I didn't hear it anywhere, I said in my opinion. Geno can make some serious strides in year 2. It's not like the Jets are going to win the Superbowl with McCown as starter anyway lol See how Geno improves from year 1 to 2 and see what you got.

I didn't hear it anywhere, I said in my opinion. Geno can make some serious strides in year 2. It's not like the Jets are going to win the Superbowl with McCown as starter anyway lol See how Geno improves from year 1 to 2 and see what you got.

So you basically, DONT want the competition. You want to hand Geno the Job for his to lose. I'm not saying this to be snide or anything, I'm just wondering if this is what you want, or you feel that Geno would beat out McCown anyway?

So you basically, DONT want the competition. You want to hand Geno the Job for his to lose. I'm not saying this to be snide or anything, I'm just wondering if this is what you want, or you feel that Geno would beat out McCown anyway?

If the Jets bring in McCown I feel as if Geno would beat him out for the job. I liked what I saw the last month of the season and I think Geno in his 2nd year of MM's system would make some serious strides. That's just how I feel about the situation, but then again I do have more faith in Geno than most as I've stated on JN before.

If the Jets bring in McCown I feel as if Geno would beat him out for the job. I liked what I saw the last month of the season and I think Geno in his 2nd year of MM's system would make some serious strides. That's just how I feel about the situation, but then again I do have more faith in Geno than most as I've stated on JN before.

Oh OK, so you do want the competition but Feel Geno would beat out McCown. I disagree but that's fair enough.

Archived