Do the Raiders want Mark Sanchez?

joewilly12

Matt Schaub is Raiders' top target

Updated: March 14, 2014, 8:57 PM ET

By Paul Gutierrez | ESPN.com

Two of the four veteran quarterbacks the Oakland Raiders plan to target in free agency are not yet free agents, although that is expected to change soon.

Matt Schaub of the Houston Texans tops the list, followed by the New York Jets' Mark Sanchez and current unrestricted free agents Josh Freeman and Michael Vick, in that order, according to a source.

Schaub and Sanchez are expected to be cut by their respective teams soon.

The Raiders currently have three quarterbacks on their roster in Terrelle Pryor, Matt McGloin and Trent Edwards. Coach Dennis Allen said he was not sure whether the team's quarterback of the future is in the locker room at this time.

Sanchez is not as bad as we all make him out to be. I think he'd be decent in morhingwigs offense.

With that said, I think it would be hard to keep him on team. The fans have had enough.

Now I don't understand how anyone wants freeman.

IMO Sanchez isn't going anywhere, we haven't spent crazy $$$$$, and have plenty of cap space, and regardless what Jets fans think he might be in managements eyes the best veteran option out there, and don't have to bid for his services.

Alex Smith had the same type of career path, hopefully Sanchez can become a good game manager, and by a reliable BU if, and when Geno gets banged up.

they might give us a #1 pick and a conditional 4th rounder for him and sign him to a 6yr $54million contract;)

You have taken leave of your senses. No one in the NFL would offer picks for the turnover machine that is Mark Sanchez. They are just waiting for Idzik to cut him so they can make a lowball offer and HOPE he still has some upside.

Alex Smith had the same type of career path, hopefully Sanchez can become a good game manager, and by a reliable BU if, and when Geno gets banged up.

Why why why do people keep saying this? Sanchez is a horrible game manager. Alex Smith refuses to turn the ball over. All Sanchez DOES is turn it over. They couldn't me more opposite.

Schaub, Chez, Freeman and Vick is an impressive list of misfits. Glad I am not the GM faced with picking my starter from that list.

Yeah.  Everyone keeps on forgetting about Freeman.  He has really had to outstanding years.  His last one was as recently as 2012.

2013 was a horrible year for him.  I'm getting the feeling his problems are more emotional then physical.  I'd bring him in for a chat.  If he isn't ready to join Incognito in the goofy farm, I'd give him a  shot

My brother lives out there and claims that the fans still think highly of Sanchez. Not sure how true it is - but thought I would share.

Oh yeah? Well I have a Facebook friend in the Bay Area who claims that the fans DON'T think highly of Sanchez. So where does that leave us now, funny man?

Why why why do people keep saying this? Sanchez is a horrible game manager. Alex Smith refuses to turn the ball over. All Sanchez DOES is turn it over. They couldn't me more opposite.

Did you miss the phrase "HOPEFULLY he can BECOME a game manager" nowhere did I indicate he was already that type of QB.

If the JETS handle this right, the best play for a trade would be to ask for 6th this year with a conditional pick for next year like something along the lines of

4th rounder if he starts for them,

3rd rounder if he starts 10 or more game,

2nd rounder if he is on the roster at beginning of FA next season.

Mark Sanchez's $2 million roster bonus is due on March 25.

There's been no movement on the Sanchez front because the Jets don't have to make a move before the bonus due date. Although the chances are slim to none, it's possible the Jets are holding out hope a team offers them a conditional seventh-round pick for Sanchez. It's far likelier we'll see Sanchez cut this week, or early next week. The Raiders are expected to have interest

He will never become a game manager because he processes the game too slowly.  He's better off trying to become a gunslinger.

Your probably right, but the other options are equally bad, and most are worse, at least Mark knows the system.

Mark Sanchez's $2 million roster bonus is due on March 25.

There's been no movement on the Sanchez front because the Jets don't have to make a move before the bonus due date. Although the chances are slim to none, it's possible the Jets are holding out hope a team offers them a conditional seventh-round pick for Sanchez. It's far likelier we'll see Sanchez cut this week, or early next week. The Raiders are expected to have interest

I also think the Jets are hoping most teams have already wrapped up their QB plans by then forcing Sanchez to restructure and stay in NY if the Jets see him as their best option.

Your probably right, but the other options are equally bad, and most are worse, at least Mark knows the system.

It doesn't matter if you "know the system" if you suck.  Besides, Sanchez has yet to throw a regular season pass in Marty's system.

We need fresh blood in here at the QB position, not the type of distraction Sanchez will provide.  I'd strongly prefer Schaub and wouldn't mind someone like Shaun Hill, a career backup who can be relied on in a spot-start when needed.

It doesn't matter if you "know the system" if you suck.  Besides, Sanchez has yet to throw a regular season pass in Marty's system.

We need fresh blood in here at the QB position, not the type of distraction Sanchez will provide.  I'd strongly prefer Schaub and wouldn't mind someone like Shaun Hill, a career backup who can be relied on in a spot-start when needed.

Anyone, but Schaub!

Archived