Mike Pettine's Cleveland Browns

Integrity28

I have a feeling they are actually going to be a pretty good football team.

They've accumulated quite a collection of talent on offense, between Gordon, Cameron, Little... and Ben Tate and Andrew Hawkins, Nate Burleson all signed this off-season. Kyle Shanahan is taking over the offense, so it'll produce, I don't doubt that... and the offensive line is in good shape. The defense was decent and got better with Whitner and Dansby added to the mix.

They have a really solid group of talent, with a fair mix of veteran and young players. The missing piece is at QB

They are bringing Hoyer back, which is smart, he had great chemistry with Gordon and Cameron last year. The one thing I wonder, with them signing Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen a week before the draft, is... are they trying to create the impression that they don't want a QB at #4 overall, because they actually do? In other words, broadcast to the league that you are "set" at QB and you are targeting one of the top 4 other position players, meaning they have to trade ahead of you to get say Sammy Watkins... which essentially improves the chances of Manziel falling to them? 

Just a "too many beers while doing home improvement work" musing... 

Personally I believe Pettine is going to be Mangini v2. The guy is too buttoned up and has his head buried too far into the low level muck to be a leader that keeps his troops interested for any duration of time. Some coaches are much better coordinators than head coaches and my belief is that Pettine will show himself to be a better coordinator than head coach.

I'm not sure how Pettine will fair as a coach, but I have no reason to suspect he'll be any worse than any other newbie HC. I do like their offense a lot, even Jason Campbell could make it function to a reasonable degree...talk about a compliment for that guy.

Hoyer seems like a great choice to give the reigns to at least to start, the guy was poised, spread the ball around, and has two big time receivers in Gordon and Cameron (if Cameron ever gets the damn ball). Logic says they'll take a QB, and i have a feeling it'll be Bridgewater for whatever reason (i have no basis for this claim, just a hunch).

In a perfect world, Watkins will be there and they can trade back a few picks and pick up a solid linemen (either side of the ball) or and an RB. I know most people around here think trading back is for pussies, but can anyone think of a team that won a Super Bowl with two fantastic WR? IMO, that doesn't happen because at some point you have to pay them both and it limits where the remaining money can go to the rest of the squad (see Atlanta).

Good post...and i agree that Cleveland will be a tough W for most teams this year.

Pettine is nothing. Rex was and is the defense. Pettine will be fired after one season like his predessecor.

If you had read more than the thread title, you'd know this topic is about the Browns roster.

If you had read more than the thread title, you'd know this topic is about the Browns roster.

They can get their QB at 26 or in the top of the 2nd, IMO. But you're right, that could be the next big team if they get any QB play, and if Pettine turns out to be the adult version of Rex Ryan.

They can get their QB at 26 or in the top of the 2nd, IMO. But you're right, that could be the next big team if they get any QB play, and if Pettine turns out to be the adult version of Rex Ryan.

Yeah, I think it's all about them getting a QB. That's what makes me think signing Young and Thigpen is them trying way too hard to say "hey guys, we aren't taking a QB"... I think it's bull.

If Clowney, Watkins, Mack go 1-2-3 I think they realize they get Manziel. Overselling that they aren't going QB smells like they want people to think they need to jump up to get one if those 3.

Kyle Shanahan is taking over the offense, so it'll produce, I don't doubt that... 

Agree with it all except the Shanahan part. I think Shanny's kid is a self absorbed mope and I'm surprised Pettine hired him.

I think Mike P will be a head coach in the NFL for awhile and will help this franchise see some daylight they haven't seen for a bit.

Agree with it all except the Shanahan part. I think Shanny's kid is a self absorbed mope and I'm surprised Pettine hired him.

I think Mike P will be a head coach in the NFL for awhile and will help this franchise see some daylight they haven't seen for a bit.

Mope or not, he's got a fully loaded offense - all he needs to do is find average QB play and the players will make him look good. There's also a ton of OC's they could have hired that would bring less to the table than a Shanahan, like him or not.

Personally I believe Pettine is going to be Mangini v2. The guy is too buttoned up and has his head buried too far into the low level muck to be a leader that keeps his troops interested for any duration of time. Some coaches are much better coordinators than head coaches and my belief is that Pettine will show himself to be a better coordinator than head coach.

Hope you are right.

Thanks for signing up here btw!

Yeah, I think it's all about them getting a QB. That's what makes me think signing Young and Thigpen is them trying way too hard to say "hey guys, we aren't taking a QB"... I think it's bull.

If Clowney, Watkins, Mack go 1-2-3 I think they realize they get Manziel. Overselling that they aren't going QB smells like they want people to think they need to jump up to get one if those 3.

I like the draft scenarios where at least three QBs go before the Jets pick, so this would work for me. A lot of the so-called experts have them dropping though. On Walter Football, Walter has the Browns taking Manzeil #4 and Charlie has the Browns taking him with their second first rounder. It's really going to be interesting to see what happens at the position. Like you say, the Browns could be blowing smoke with the likes of Young and Thigpen, but it could also easily be that they really don't like the QB value at #4. Manzeil is a risky proposition that high. IMHO, all of them are. I'd probably go Mike Evans there, and take my chances on getting a QB later.

Pettine is a cornball, though this is the first and only time I will ever say that. I hope I live.

“The phrase we use is, ‘Don’t let ’em read your mail,’” Pettine says. “We didn’t want our mail being read before the ball was snapped.”

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/dont-stop-frontin-the-mind-boggling-multiplicity-of-nfl-defenses/

I feel like this is a hidden message to the American people, deep yet wholly cornball on the front.

That piece is meh btw. I like Grantland and get that the LEO thing makes it a little different, but not different enough IMO. Ryan made this kind of D cool. At least they acknowledged the awesome that is Calais Campbell.

Hope you are right.

Thanks for signing up here btw!

Thanks for having me!

To other poster's points about the roster being a good one... I agree to an extent. The Browns to me are a lot like the Texans were for years when every year they were the team that was expected to explode into the playoff race and never did. I just happen to believe that has more to do with the Browns front office than it does the roster. The reason Pettine even got the job is because basically nobody else wanted it. That organization is poisoned internally. It will be a while before they get their ship sailing straight again.

I have no ill will towards Pettine. I honestly hope he does well in Cleveland and that they climb out of the abyss. Tht being said, I think that anyone who knows football can see that Hoyer and the other two recently acquired QBs are not the long term answers at QB for them. Hoyer, when healthy, did amazing things for them last year. I actually rooted for the guy, I saw the game against the Bills and he was doing great till Kiko tackled him and ended his year, now, will Hoyer be back to 100%?...maybe, is he the long term answer?...probably not. Hoyer is a slender guy and those guys get banged up in a league where atheltic behemoths eat QBs for lunch and dinner. If you want Hoyer to be the QB for the full year you have to keep him upright and develop a quick passing O where he has 3 secs to throw...also, you have to have a great O line. I don't know if they have either.  

I think picking up thigpen and Young is a smokescreen, I think they take a QB in round 1...for the long term. Pettine will make the D shine this year and the first rd qb they take will be groomed behind Hoyer/Young. In 2015 watch for the debut of the new QB.

LL

Eh.  Pettine seems like he might be good, but the Mangini comparisons may have some validity.  That is especially true if he really was the one leaking/whining to the press.  He intends to call the D and the Jets saw a significant improvement everytime Rex took over defensive play calling.  He might not have the feel for it. His coordinator is some 14 year old that went to the same HS where his Dad coached.  I don't know why anybody would think Shanahan is a lock to improve the O either.  He only had one good year down here in Washington.  He did okay in Houston, but that ship kind of ran itself.  In Houston and Washington I am sure offensive personnel looked over his head.  That's not going to happen here.

I think Thigpen and Young are a combination of camp fodder and the 2 will battle it out for a deep depth slot (unless one unexpectedly outplays Hoyer).  Cleveland lost every QB they trotted out there last year, and won't go into a season thin at the position at any time in the near future.  

IMO I don't think any other GMs in the league see this as a smokescreen.  They're either taking Manziel at #4 or they aren't, and it's because they like him better than other players at the spot or they don't.  But it has nothing to dow with either or both of these 2 stiffs.  

In a perfect world, for them, they will have Manziel, Hoyer, and the winner of Thigpen/Young/other.  Keep in mind that neither Young nor Thigpen played last year.  I'm not even sure if either were on a roster at any point during the 2013 regular season.  They're 3rd string QBs at best, and neither could find a job in that capacity in 2013; not even when a bunch of QBs got injured from August to December. 

Doubt both of them stick around and make their final roster even if Cleveland doesn't take a QB in the first 3 rounds.  

Pettine has been called a moop and a corn ball... that's it, I'm going for it... something something the Rex Ryan coaching tree has plenty of sap something something...

WOCKA WOCKA!!!  

Pettine has been called a moop and a corn ball... that's it, I'm going for it... something something the Rex Ryan coaching tree has plenty of sap something something...

WOCKA WOCKA!!!  

When it comes from the Rex Ryan coaching tree it's syrup, not sap.

I have a feeling they are actually going to be a pretty good football team.

They've accumulated quite a collection of talent on offense, between Gordon, Cameron, Little... and Ben Tate and Andrew Hawkins, Nate Burleson all signed this off-season. Kyle Shanahan is taking over the offense, so it'll produce, I don't doubt that... and the offensive line is in good shape. The defense was decent and got better with Whitner and Dansby added to the mix.

They have a really solid group of talent, with a fair mix of veteran and young players. The missing piece is at QB

They are bringing Hoyer back, which is smart, he had great chemistry with Gordon and Cameron last year. The one thing I wonder, with them signing Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen a week before the draft, is... are they trying to create the impression that they don't want a QB at #4 overall, because they actually do? In other words, broadcast to the league that you are "set" at QB and you are targeting one of the top 4 other position players, meaning they have to trade ahead of you to get say Sammy Watkins... which essentially improves the chances of Manziel falling to them? 

Just a "too many beers while doing home improvement work" musing...

Browns are in great shape with their 3 picks in top 36, they will get better right away and should be

able to add a lot talent, they are in a great position to really improve, their success will depend on

staff and shanny, Jury is out but I'd by pretty stocked if I was a Browns fan, Rex's D and Shanny's O.

The Rams are winning the smokescreen Olympics right now... Major links to Maziel, which means Cleveland has to go to #1 to get him... Which means Rams get Clowney, and texans Mack.

Archived