Chris Johnson Frustrated By Diminished Role

flgreen

Jets’ Chris Johnson ‘frustrated’ by diminished role

By Brian CostelloOctober 29, 2014 | 8:24pm

Jets running back Chris Johnson is doing his best to keep quiet, but his disappearing role on this team is clearly bothering him.

Johnson played just 16 of the 84 (19 percent) offensive snaps in Sunday’s 43-23 loss to the Bills. He had just three carries for seven yards and two catches for 13.

“Of course I’m frustrated,” Johnson told The Post on Wednesday. “On top of having a limited role, not playing as much as I want to play and then on top of that we’re 1-7. It’s frustrating.”

Johnson’s role has been much smaller than anyone expected entering this season. He has played 34 percent of the snaps this season, as Chris Ivory has emerged as the team’s lead back. Johnson has just 268 yards on 67 carries with one touchdown and 14 catches for 72 yards and a touchdown.

The former 2,000-yard back said he is surprised by how he has been used, but does not want to complain to the coaches.

“I don’t want to be a distraction in the locker room,” Johnson said. “This situation, I’m pretty sure just like I see it, everybody else sees it. I don’t want to be labeled as one of those guys who start controversy or start problems. I just continue to pray about the situation and continue to take advantage when I get opportunities and see what comes of it.”

Jets coach Rex Ryan said he believes Johnson’s limited role last week was because of the lopsided score, but the game did not get out of hand until the fourth quarter. Ryan was asked if the Jets are phasing Johnson out.

“No, I don’t believe so,” Ryan said. “I think he will get plenty of shots at it this week.”

The Jets have managed to create just three turnovers on defense this season. The NFL record for fewest in a 16-game season is 11, set last season by the Texans. At their current pace, the Jets will shatter that record and finish with 6. But Ryan does not see that happening.

“I have been a part of a lot of record-setting defenses, but I never thought I would set one in futility,” Ryan said. “Thank goodness the year isn’t over. I bet we won’t be there, I bet we won’t break that record before the year is over, but we can’t buy one. Even when the ball hits us in the hands, it doesn’t seem like [we convert]. We could have given up 10 turnovers last week, and yet we can’t get one on defense. So, again you just go out, you talk about it, you emphasize it, but it has to get done better than it’s been getting done for sure.”

WR Jeremy Kerley (illness) and CB Darrin Walls (calf, knee) did not practice. LG Oday Aboushi (shoulder), RG Willie Colon (knee), LB David Harris (shoulder), LB Trevor Reilly (knee) and QB Geno Smith (shoulder) were limited.

MM calls sh*tty plays bottom line he's not adjusting the game plan to the strengths and weaknesses of his players

Yeah, Chris Ivory should've averaged more than 4.7 YPC. MM is lame when it comes to the run game. 

Yeah, Chris Ivory should've averaged more than 4.7 YPC. MM is lame when it comes to the run game. 

Ivory muscles out and runs defenders over for  most of his yardage CJ is more of a finesse runner that relies on holes being opened up our OL that sucks watch film most of the time they are standing up watching RBs getting tackled

I'm frustrated that his role hasn't been diminished more. I was optimistic when they signed him, I was hoping he'd be another LaDanian Tomlinson, but he just looks washed up. And Bilal Powell looks significantly better every time he gets on the field.

I'm frustrated that his role hasn't been diminished more. I was optimistic when they signed him, I was hoping he'd be another LaDanian Tomlinson, but he just looks washed up. And Bilal Powell looks significantly better every time he gets on the field.

I agree, personally I'd cut his ass and resign Powell. He's a back who's wheels have fallen off.

Simular story on NFL site

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000420298/article/jets-chris-johnson-nothing-to-be-excited-about

Jets' Chris Johnson: 'Nothing to be excited about'

Gregg Rosenthal

Around The NFL Editor

+Follow on Twitter

Chris Johnson came to New York hoping to revive his career with the New York Jets. He's since realized how good he had it in Tennessee, where the Titans never hesitated to force-feed him the ball.

Now he barely gets on the field. Johnson played only 16 out of 85 snaps last week against Buffalo, and has topped 30 snaps in a game only twice on the season. Just five years removed from a 2,000-yard season, the 29-year-old is stuck as a role player behind Chris Ivory. Asked what he was looking forward to for the rest of the season, Johnson couldn't even pretend.

"I really don't know. If it's going like it's been going, there's nothing to be excited about or look forward to. I don't know what's really going to change," Johnson said via ESPNNewYork.com.

Johnson said that he just wants to help the team win and doesn't want to become "the guy that becomes a distraction," and wants more opportunities, which is natural. But it probably won't happen in New York unless Ivory gets injured, and it's fair to wonder if any team will give Johnson a job next season.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast previews every Week 9 game and recaps the Saints' one-sided TNF win over the Panthers. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

MM calls sh*tty plays bottom line he's not adjusting the game plan to the strengths and weaknesses of his players

What? Adjusting the game plan to the strengths and weaknesses of his players = using Ivory more, because he gets yards after contact, looks explosive and wears down defenses, which also = benching Johnson because he can't hit holes, can't shed tacklers and gets tackled for too many losses.

vick loved the te in philly... and in the slammer too i'm told

Hahaha... always has. Alge Crumpler was the only receiving threat to ever thrive with Vick in ATL. 

I agree, personally I'd cut his ass and resign Powell. He's a back who's wheels have fallen off.

Simular story on NFL site

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000420298/article/jets-chris-johnson-nothing-to-be-excited-about

Jets' Chris Johnson: 'Nothing to be excited about'

Gregg Rosenthal

Around The NFL Editor

+Follow on Twitter

Chris Johnson came to New York hoping to revive his career with the New York Jets. He's since realized how good he had it in Tennessee, where the Titans never hesitated to force-feed him the ball.

Now he barely gets on the field. Johnson played only 16 out of 85 snaps last week against Buffalo, and has topped 30 snaps in a game only twice on the season. Just five years removed from a 2,000-yard season, the 29-year-old is stuck as a role player behind Chris Ivory. Asked what he was looking forward to for the rest of the season, Johnson couldn't even pretend.

"I really don't know. If it's going like it's been going, there's nothing to be excited about or look forward to. I don't know what's really going to change," Johnson said via ESPNNewYork.com.

Johnson said that he just wants to help the team win and doesn't want to become "the guy that becomes a distraction," and wants more opportunities, which is natural. But it probably won't happen in New York unless Ivory gets injured, and it's fair to wonder if any team will give Johnson a job next season.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast previews every Week 9 game and recaps the Saints' one-sided TNF win over the Panthers. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

I can see CJ going Santonio on us at some point this year.

What? Adjusting the game plan to the strengths and weaknesses of his players = using Ivory more, because he gets yards after contact, looks explosive and wears down defenses, which also = benching Johnson because he can't hit holes, can't shed tacklers and gets tackled for too many losses.

Hahaha... always has. Alge Crumpler was the only receiving threat to ever thrive with Vick in ATL.

Not true brother, brent celek thrived under him big time and hasnt done squat before or after.

Vick likes the safety valve.

Idzik's 2 big off-season FA signings halfway through the season:

1). A 268 yard RB

2). A 31 reception WR

You know usually PFT's posts would elicit a lot of sharp and cutting remarks, as well as a heathy share of "what's he doing here anyways?" But this year for some reason they haven't been getting that response because we ALL know it and we ALL see it, and the sad truth is: he's frigging right.

A rival fan of the game of NFL football, a true fan doesn't like to see his favorite team's rivals in the sh!thouse like this. I know I didn't like seeing my friends who were Dolphins fans have to go through that 1 win season some years ago, and in fact a LOT of those people never came back. I don't just mean DolphinFan For Life and Big Dave, guys who would post here, I mean people I know around town who WERE big Dolphin fans. So many of those people now spend thier Sunday mornings and afternoons out on their boats or drinking tropical drinks after breakfast and Bloody Marys  Watching NFL football is no longer a part of their lives these days. What is sad is we're starting to see the same thing happening with the Jets under this regime. 

Maybe if he averaged more than 2 yards per carry he wouldn't be as frustrated. Neither would we.

yea, he's turned into the same back that Thomas Jones became his last year here'\; run up to the line look left, look right and then try to push your way ahead and get stopped for 2 yrds every time. Powell is much better but what sucks is that Percy Harvin will be running that stupid end around that Santonio ran and Brad Smith ran before him-you know the play that hasn't worked since 2010 and Powell will still not get the true shot that he has earned. Only the Jets man, how many players they have just misused. That's why I have such little faith that no matter where or who we draft, that player will not play up to his potential UNLESS somebody finally helps our out of touch owner know that the old axiom that DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS might be true in a few games here and there but in the 2010's it's passing attacks that get you there. Hire an offensive minded coach-all Woody Johnson has hired have been defensive guys.

Al Groh

Herman Edwards

Eric Mangini

Rex Ryan 

How bouts we maybe try something different this time for a change?

Unlikely, difference there is santonio already got his big payday. Cj is looking for one more. Of course he could be dumber than i think

Turning into a divisive locker room presence doesn't have much to do with pay days. He already learned his big payouts are behind him when he signed with us, anyway.

What are you talking about? Brent Celek didn't play for ATL.

Cant tell if joking?

You know there was a big stretch of time between atlanta and new york for vick. He wasnt in prison that whole time. I saw him play a few times down the street. He did pretty good one or two of those years with a JAG TE and a passing RB out of the backfield. Marty was the OC there, as well.

I think CJ and Amaro could see a boost because of that. It is a dart throw only for the most desperate of fantasy football players, i will admit.

Turning into a divisive locker room presence doesn't have much to do with pay days. He already learned his big payouts are behind him when he signed with us, anyway.

Ah when you said santonio i thought your meant destructive tornado of pure douchebag, not merely being "divisive."

Cant tell if joking?

You know there was a big stretch of time between atlanta and new york for vick. He wasnt in prison that whole time. I saw him play a few times down the street. He did pretty good one or two of those years with a JAG TE and a passing RB out of the backfield. Marty was the OC there, as well.

I think CJ and Amaro could see a boost because of that. It is a dart throw only for the most desperate of fantasy football players, i will admit.

Can't tell if you realize that when I referenced his connection with Alge in ATL that I was agreeing with your comment that Vick loves him some TE. Perhaps looking so hard for an argument that you aren't even interpreting what you're reading? 

Anyway, I agree that Amaro could see an uptick. Vick has favored throwing to the TE his whole career. 

Archived