PFF notes/grades from last night

AFJF

Offense:

Four of the five O-lineman had overall positive grades, and the only one who didn't (Giacomini) was at the "ceiling" for average

Geno Smith and Jeff Cumberland were the only offensive players to earn negative ratings.

The entire offensive line earned above average grades in run blocking, no surprise there.

All other offensive grades fell were in the "average" range.

Defense:

Demario Davis earned the only overall above average grade of 1.4 and every other player was in the "average" category.  So nobody was great, but nobody was terrible. 

Very disappointing snap count for the rooks who were supposed to get some playing time:

TJ Barnes- 8 plays

Ik Inemkpali- 6 plays

Trevor Reilly- 2 plays

Quinton Coples had 3 QB  hits

Sheldon Richardson had 2 QB hits

Darrin Walls did a solid job on Mike Wallace...targeted four times, two receptions for only 26 yds and 3 YAC, Wallace got a big 25 yarder against Harris.

Four of the five O-lineman had overall positive grades, and the only one who didn't (Giacomini) was at the "ceiling" for average

Paging "pointman". Guess your evaluation skills need some work...

As for the young guys, it sucks, I thought IK and Barnes would get plenty of playing time but I guess Rex decided to keep them on the sideline with the game being so close and rather play guys like Ellis and Babin that chump. I'm sure IK & Barnes will get plenty snaps next week. Hopefully Babin/Pace/Landry are the next guys to be axed.

Coples looked really good and comfortable @ DE in the 3-4, I was surprised. He gets a great push, very strong and athletic for a 3-4 End. Reminds me a little bit of that guy from the Saints (Cam Jordan), just scheme wise and their style. Barnes looked really good, had a huge stop despite barely getting any snaps. Ellis of course again was great, he really can't be blocked 1 on 1.

Paging "pointman". Guess your evaluation skills need some work...

As for the young guys, it sucks, I thought IK and Barnes would get plenty of playing time but I guess Rex decided to keep them on the sideline with the game being so close and rather play guys like Ellis and Babin that chump. I'm sure IK & Barnes will get plenty snaps next week. Hopefully Babin/Pace/Landry are the next guys to be axed.

Coples looked really good and comfortable @ DE in the 3-4, I was surprised. He gets a great push, very strong and athletic for a 3-4 End. Reminds me a little bit of that guy from the Saints (Cam Jordan), just scheme wise and their style. Barnes looked really good, had a huge stop despite barely getting any snaps. Ellis of course again was great, he really can't be blocked 1 on 1.

Coples has excellent hands at the POA. IMO it's his best attribute.

Great idea having him play in space last two seasons.

How do you say Mike Wallace caught a 25 yard pass on Harris?  That is obviously zone, since Harris isn't manning up on Wallace.  25 yards is pretty deep for Harris to drop.  Walls also had a PI that was blatant but called about 33 seconds after the whistle.  

TJ Barnes is playing the right amount of snaps.  I thought IK was out there more than that.  I didn't notice Reilly out there at all.  I saw IK rushing the passer and doing that Coples thing where he lines up to bump the WR.  I guess it was one series. Babin played too much. 

How do you say Mike Wallace caught a 25 yard pass on Harris?  That is obviously zone, since Harris isn't manning up on Wallace.  25 yards is pretty deep for Harris to drop.  Walls also had a PI that was blatant but called about 33 seconds after the whistle.  

TJ Barnes is playing the right amount of snaps.  I thought IK was out there more than that.  I didn't notice Reilly out there at all.  I saw IK rushing the passer and doing that Coples thing where he lines up to bump the WR.  I guess it was one series. Babin played too much. 

Going by the PFF chart breakdown.  They cover every defender matched up on every receiver and they have Harris Wallace credited as having caught one pass against Harris for 25 yds.  It was actually a 13 yd catch with 12 yd YAC.  Could be that it was caught short in Harris' zone and then he got away from him.  Basically saying Wallace had one catch in a zone Harris was covering from what I gather.

Going by the PFF chart breakdown.  They cover every defender matched up on every receiver and they have Harris Wallace credited as having caught one pass against Harris for 25 yds.  It was actually a 13 yd catch with 12 yd YAC.  Could be that it was caught short in Harris' zone and then he got away from him.  Basically saying Wallace had one catch in a zone Harris was covering from what I gather.

I'm sure.  IMO that is basically impossible to judge.  When you are playing zone, the catches aren't really on "a guy" unless it is a blown coverage like Antonio Allen on the first TD against the Pats.  

Idzik gave the old pocket veto to rex's request for a permission slip allowing him to play those guys

if anything, you got that backwards.  Rex has no reason to play Idzik's young guys, given Rex won't be here, and he (apparently/supposedly) is being a dick to Idzik now.

I'm sure.  IMO that is basically impossible to judge.  When you are playing zone, the catches aren't really on "a guy" unless it is a blown coverage like Antonio Allen on the first TD against the Pats.  

Agreed...PFF is far from a science, but they're the only site that does what they do.  Even if they "get it wrong" sometimes, they still offer more in depth breakdown than anyone else.  I like looking at the numbers but sometimes there are some questionable grades to say the least.

any discussion of the defense is missing the point. They gave up 16 points that's a good job by 2014 NFL standards. 

Especially for a team that scored 36 against Denver.  Jets had no business shutting this team down the way they did.  Sixteen points is excellent in this video game league.

Gotta admit, Walls, who I've been pretty hard on, has turned it around lately.  He's still not very good.  Definitely not a starting corner...but he's at least a decent depth guy moving forward.

Defense played great last night.  

Geno Smith is the worst. 

of course they earned positive grades. they ran the ball 75% of the time. which is their strength, especially against a team like Miami which is known for their pass defense. what brought their grades down from being excellent, is the 25% of the time in which they had to pass block. because they are horrible at pass blocking. top that off with a qb that is horrible at passing and receivers that are horrible at catching and people wonder why the jets ran the ball 50 times last night. its not rocket science

Agreed...PFF is far from a science, but they're the only site that does what they do.  Even if they "get it wrong" sometimes, they still offer more in depth breakdown than anyone else.  I like looking at the numbers but sometimes there are some questionable grades to say the least.

yeah it's not perfect but for a fan like me it's a nice approximation

of course they earned positive grades. they ran the ball 75% of the time. which is their strength, especially against a team like Miami which is known for their pass defense. what brought their grades down from being excellent, is the 25% of the time in which they had to pass block. because they are horrible at pass blocking. top that off with a qb that is horrible at passing and receivers that are horrible at catching and people wonder why the jets ran the ball 50 times last night. its not rocket science

Miami has a damn good front, and the pass blocking graded out as average.  Honestly not sure how as Geno got blown up a couple times despite very few attempts.

yeah it's not perfect but for a fan like me it's a nice approximation

That's exactly how I treat it.  It won't be 100% accurate, but if you're breaking down every single play over the course of a whole game or a whole season, it's going to give you a nice idea as to  how somebody is performing.

The main problem with the Jets is the QB. It's really that simple. It's a passing league and they can't pass. 

Since it's been the main problem for over a decade it's clearly not the "main problem".  Our biggest problems are a bad owner who has created an environment with no clear chain of command and who hires buffoons who collectively can't properly evaluate talent. 

That's no easy fix unless you get lucky and a guy like Mariota transcends organizational failings. SEE:  Manning, Peyton and Luck, Andrew.  The Colts are the only consistent winning organization with a bad owner.  They got very lucky to tank at the right time....twice.

So it's really not "that simple" unless you're Bitonti.

Gotta admit, Walls, who I've been pretty hard on, has turned it around lately.  He's still not very good.  Definitely not a starting corner...but he's at least a decent depth guy moving forward.

Defense played great last night.  

Geno Smith is the worst. 

Agreed on Walls.  Spot starter.  That is more than I had expected from him.  The other guy (Marcus WIilliams) actually looks decent too, though they are obviously incapable of doing what we want.   Agree on Geno too, but ... duh. 

Agreed on Walls.  Spot starter.  That is more than I had expected from him.  The other guy (Marcus WIilliams) actually looks decent too, though they are obviously incapable of doing what we want.   Agree on Geno too, but ... duh. 

The way Walls started this season, I expected him to work himself out of the league.  Williams seems like he might have some game.  Both solid depth guys.   Counting on them to play on the outside every game is a disaster, go figure.

And look how much the Jets scored against Pittsburgh! They had no business scoring that many.

This team is awesome!

Jets scoring is an aberration, Miami being held to 16 points has only happened one other time this season.  Their offense is consistently good.

Everything bad that happens is because of Tannenbaum and Idzik. Everything good that happens is because of Rex. It's really that simple.

no sure why so many here feel a need to pick a side. plenty of blame for everyone

Archived