Harbaugh and SF part ways

Integrity28

That was fast.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000450865/article/jim-harbaugh-49ers-parting-ways

After months of speculation, the Jim Harbaugh era in San Francisco is over.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday soon after San Francisco's season-ending 20-17 winthat Harbaugh and the 49ers are parting ways, according to a source involved in the situation.

0ap3000000448072.jpg

Harbaugh was given the game ball and a Gatorade bath at the end of his team's victory over Arizona on Sunday. It felt like a celebration, but the 49ers knew it was the end.

"I had the time of my life. It's like that song," Harbaugh said with a smile after the game. "I had the time of my life; I really did."

The Niners missed the playoffs in eight consecutive seasons before Harbaugh took the reins in 2011. He instantly turned San Francisco into a perennial contender, leading the team to three straight postseason berths, including a Super Bowl appearance and two trips to the NFC Championship Game. However, his final season roaming the 49ers' sideline was a disappointment: The team trudged its way to an 8-8 record.

"Jim and I have come to the conclusion that it is in our mutual best interest to move in different directions," owner Jed York said in a statement. "We thank Jim for bringing a tremendous competitive nature and a great passion for the game to the 49ers. He and his staff restored a winning culture that has been the standard for our franchise throughout its history."

The front office and Harbaugh clearly had their differences, and we have to wonder if the 49ers will be able to find another coach as capable as Harbaugh. Defensive line coach Jim Tomsula has been mentioned as a strong in-house candidate.

Harbaugh didn't try to hide the fact he was leaving in his postgame press conference, even before his departure was officially announced. Harbaugh was asked about possibly joining the University of Michigan as their next head coach.

"There will be announcements made concerning those things," Harbaugh said.

Rapoport said on NFL Gameday Highlights that Harbaugh is "almost certain" to wind up as Michigan's coach, with a salary ballooning north of $8 million. Harbaugh finishes with a 49-22-1 career record in San Francisco.

"I count up these wins, that's 49 wins. It seems appropriate," Harbaugh said.

gatorade bath ?

circus

Honestly, I found it reassuring that a coach can be given the meaningless Gatorade bath, and still fired. Last year it seemed like Woody was in a Lemon-Lime stupor forcing this Idzik/Rex thing to go another year....

Rex Ryan was making 4 million a year. Jim Harbaugh has a reported offer from Michigan for twice that. Only two NFL coaches make that much.

And don't forget allowances and boosters etc etc.

So what?  Woody could give him Phil Jackson money if he wants to.  Woody could outbid Michigan.  That's not the biggest problem.  The biggest problem is that Harbaugh may have already accepted UM's offer.

Yeah I just don't get it. If he turns you down that is okay. But money should not be in the way.

The Jets are profitable. The franchise has increased significantly in value since Woody bought the team.

5 years \ 40 million. 10 million dollar bonus for the 1st Super Bowl victory.

Boom.

Oh well.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Woody outbidding Michigan.

It's not happening. Moving on.

I said he COULD, not that he would.  Colleges can/will only pay so much.  20 NFL coaches get paid more than Urban Meyer, for example.

Michigan's entire athletic budget was $137.5 million last year.  The Packers had total revenue of $324 million in 2013. Colleges can't compete with the NFL.

I said he COULD, not that he would. Colleges can/will only pay so much. 20 NFL coaches get paid more than Urban Meyer, for example.

Nick Saban makes more than 24 NFL coaches. If the Harbaugh rumor is true, he'd be the highest paid coach in college football and paid as much as any NFL coach. And he gets to run his own program.

Yeah I just don't get it. If he turns you down that is okay. But money should not be in the way.

The Jets are profitable. The franchise has increased significantly in value since Woody bought the team.

Boom.

Oh well.

Agreed. 1000% agreed.

Boom.

Oh well.

That wouldn't be enough.  Michigan is offering 6 years/$48 million.  Lower cost of living there, as well.

And every NFL team could outbid Alabama for Nick Saban if they really wanted him.

Sure. They could but Nick Saban wanted to go back to college. So does Harbaugh. So Woody could promise twice as much money as Michigan, but it's not the job he wants. If he wanted an NFL job he would be staying in San Fran because they have a solid foundation. The Jets do not. So money be damned, it's not happening.

Nick Saban makes more than 24 NFL coaches. If the Harbaugh rumor is true, he'd be the highest paid coach in college football and paid as much as any NFL coach. And he gets to run his own program.

And the Jets would have to make him the highest paid coach in the NFL in order to get him.  He would be getting paid more than he would be at Michigan, in that case.

Sure. They could but Nick Saban wanted to go back to college. So does Harbaugh. So Woody could promise twice as much money as Michigan, but it's not the job he wants. If he wanted an NFL job he would be staying in San Fran because they have a solid foundation. The Jets do not. So money be damned, it's not happening.

Money talks.  The Dolphins were able to lure Nick Saban away from LSU.

College coaching is roughly a seven or eight month job with regular hours, nice family time and plenty of unregulated booster dollars for big salaries for players.

The NFL is an 11 month a year job of 18 hour days, seven days a week with salary caps for players

Harbaugh would be nuts to pass up 8M a year for the ivory tower life

Look at Chip Kelly...he looks like he's aged 15 years in the last two

College coaching is roughly a seven or eight month job with regular hours, nice family time and plenty of unregulated booster dollars for big salaries for players.

The NFL is an 11 month a year job of 18 hour days, seven days a week with salary caps for players

Harbaugh would be nuts to pass up 8M a year for the ivory tower life

Look at Chip Kelly...he looks like he's aged 15 years in the last two

what ?  college coaches go on recruiting trips constantly

what ?  college coaches go on recruiting trips constantly

From what I understand, the head coaches rarely do anymore.  The technology is advanced enough these days.  You rarely see head coaches at high school sporting events these days.

Harbaugh better turn the NYJ job down before Woody even thinks of talking to another candidate. This is hands down the best HC candidate on the market.

Coaches like Harbaugh are almost never available. He is a proven winner...this is a no-brainer.

We can't talk to him. He's the 49ers HC until he signs with Michigan. Talking to him prior to that is tampering.

SF retains his rights until they fire him, which includes all of next year while he's coaching Michigan. At least that's the way it used to work. Harbaugh can't just quit and then go to another NFL team while he's under contract with SF.

what ? college coaches go on recruiting trips constantly

He may be exaggerating the work schedule, but he's right in the sense that a college coaching job is a cushy one compared to the NFL job, which is a pressure cooker that never lets up.

If I were in Harbaugh's position, I'd jump at Michigan's offer.

Archived